Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 02:36:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Funny picture thread 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 459 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Funny picture thread  (Read 3885278 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3710 on: April 05, 2010, 10:52:30 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3711 on: April 05, 2010, 11:26:45 AM

Legs on the bottom guy are way too long.

After watching many episodes of Cops, I've invented extra-long suspenders; so you don't have to run while holding up your drawers.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3712 on: April 05, 2010, 11:41:06 AM

Or you could, I dunno... wear trousers that fit?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3713 on: April 05, 2010, 12:52:50 PM

Or you could, I dunno... wear trousers that fit?

How is THAT gangsta?  Sheesh. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3714 on: April 05, 2010, 01:47:33 PM

What is it with you an amazing avatars. SRSLY.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3715 on: April 05, 2010, 01:57:47 PM

After watching many episodes of Cops, I've invented extra-long suspenders; so you don't have to run while holding up your drawers.

Oddly enough, belts work pretty well in the pants holding up dept.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3716 on: April 05, 2010, 02:06:46 PM

If the pants are around your knees, the belt has failed.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #3717 on: April 05, 2010, 02:11:19 PM

If the pants are around your knees, the belt has failed.
Or you're getting lucky. zing

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #3718 on: April 05, 2010, 05:25:45 PM

Grimwell
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #3719 on: April 05, 2010, 05:26:51 PM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3720 on: April 05, 2010, 05:58:09 PM

Reminds me of...

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:01:44 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3721 on: April 05, 2010, 07:36:43 PM

God that comic still brings me back to my childhood...

Where I didn't get half the jokes until I read them all again in my 20s. Awesome.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3722 on: April 05, 2010, 07:38:03 PM

We got the complete Calvin and Hobbes as a wedding present and I've been slowly reading through the strip in its entirety.  It's even better than I remembered.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3723 on: April 06, 2010, 04:30:22 AM

It's the greatest cartoon strip of all time. It's really as simple as that. 10 years of beauty and brilliance. It might have broken my heart when Watterson washed off his ink brush for the last time, but I completely understand why. He was done, and Calvin & Hobbes never fell into the abyss of mediocrity so many syndicated strips find themselves in. Schulz was an incredible guy, but anyone who thinks Peanuts was worth half a damn half the time is off their nut.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3724 on: April 06, 2010, 05:44:41 AM

We got the complete Calvin and Hobbes as a wedding present and I've been slowly reading through the strip in its entirety.  It's even better than I remembered.

Do want!

Though I wouldn't argue that it's "better", I personally thought that Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons were also pretty great.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3725 on: April 06, 2010, 05:51:56 AM

I have the complete set too. Worth every penny, and beautifully presented in the book.

Hic sunt dracones.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #3726 on: April 06, 2010, 07:42:49 AM

Oh man, it's only 6 months until the 25th Anniversary of Calvin & Hobbes' first strip.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3727 on: April 06, 2010, 08:12:33 AM

Do want!

Though I wouldn't argue that it's "better", I personally thought that Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons were also pretty great.

We got the complete Far Side collection too.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3728 on: April 06, 2010, 08:45:36 AM

I have the complete set too. Worth every penny, and beautifully presented in the book.

I ordered it this morning, don't know why it's taken me so long.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #3729 on: April 06, 2010, 11:14:00 AM

It's the greatest cartoon strip of all time. It's really as simple as that. 10 years of beauty and brilliance. It might have broken my heart when Watterson washed off his ink brush for the last time, but I completely understand why. He was done, and Calvin & Hobbes never fell into the abyss of mediocrity so many syndicated strips find themselves in. Schulz was an incredible guy, but anyone who thinks Peanuts was worth half a damn half the time is off their nut.

On the contrary, I think there's a lot of similarities between the two strips.  It's just that Calvin is written by a guy who's able to relate to our generation. 

AKA Gyoza
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #3730 on: April 06, 2010, 03:32:22 PM

Shultz redefined the newspaper comic strip: Simple but highly emotive art style, archetypal characters, light-hearted and accessible running gags, small jokes buried in larger jokes, subtle profundity. Almost every new comic in the papers for the last thirty years has been trying to do what Shultz did... and some pulled it off. Then the man got old and ran out of ideas, told the same jokes and made the same observations fifty times apiece and just drove the strip into the ground for decades. Watterson saw the potential for disaster and left when he ran out of fresh ideas. I, for one, wish Jim Davis or Berke Breathed had been so astute. So Calvin and Hobbes lasted ten years... and I'm pretty sure many of us have never read the first ten years of Peanuts because they ended in 1960. Peanuts kept going strong for another ten or fifteen years.

That entire era exists before I was born in 1976. I wasn't really aware of comics until the 1980's and by then, yeah, Peanuts was all but entirely recycled nostalgia for something I didn't experience personally until I went and looked it up years later.

Yeah, Calvin and Hobbes is a great strip and had sarcasm and self-awareness. Possibly it was the last great artwork in a dying medium - for I agree that nothing new will be loved like it was - but greatest? I'm still pretty fond of Krazy Kat.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3731 on: April 06, 2010, 04:08:44 PM

Pogo is worth a look too, although its a lot more in the Doonesbury vein (lots of words, lots of politics) as far as old comic strips go.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3732 on: April 06, 2010, 04:13:52 PM

Shultz redefined the newspaper comic strip: Simple but highly emotive art style, archetypal characters, light-hearted and accessible running gags, small jokes buried in larger jokes, subtle profundity. Almost every new comic in the papers for the last thirty years has been trying to do what Shultz did... and some pulled it off. Then the man got old and ran out of ideas, told the same jokes and made the same observations fifty times apiece and just drove the strip into the ground for decades. Watterson saw the potential for disaster and left when he ran out of fresh ideas. I, for one, wish Jim Davis or Berke Breathed had been so astute. So Calvin and Hobbes lasted ten years... and I'm pretty sure many of us have never read the first ten years of Peanuts because they ended in 1960. Peanuts kept going strong for another ten or fifteen years.

That entire era exists before I was born in 1976. I wasn't really aware of comics until the 1980's and by then, yeah, Peanuts was all but entirely recycled nostalgia for something I didn't experience personally until I went and looked it up years later.

Yeah, Calvin and Hobbes is a great strip and had sarcasm and self-awareness. Possibly it was the last great artwork in a dying medium - for I agree that nothing new will be loved like it was - but greatest? I'm still pretty fond of Krazy Kat.

I gotta admit, I stopped reading print media about the same time that Calvin and Hobbes stopped. In fact, that was the primary reason I had the newspaper in my hand at any point. The winter series of strips especially with the snowmen creations were my apex for C&H.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #3733 on: April 06, 2010, 04:14:47 PM

Pogo is worth a look too, although its a lot more in the Doonesbury vein (lots of words, lots of politics) as far as old comic strips go.
Yeah, everybody who isn't trying to be Schultz is trying to be Kelly. It's what Non Sequitur has turned into, for example, and the best of Mother Goose and Grimm.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3734 on: April 06, 2010, 04:15:12 PM

I wouldn't mention Davis in the same breath as a real cartoonist.  Particularly around other cartoonists.  Davis began his career as a Marketing Exec, saw the money being made off of Merchandising things like Star Wars and set out to create a media empire.   The entire concept of Garfield was researched and spitballed down to his hared of Monday.  It's why Garfield has shown up on every fucking thing you can post a label on.  

Meanwhile, Watterson has made nary a dime off of Merchandising.  Every single Calvin & Hobbes item you've ever seen (outside of the books) was plagiarized to make someone else money off his fame.

The most amusing thing, to me, about C&H was Watterson's own disdain for Calvin.  In one of his books he comments that he was always amazed by the people who would tell him that they thought Calvin was a great kid who they'd love to raise.  His quip was something along the lines of "The kid's a menace, why would you want to inflict that on yourself?"  Still, the guy got so much right for never having been a parent or having kids that he was obviously still able to channel that inner 8 year old.

I made a screensaver of all the C&H snowman strips at one time.  I wonder where I put that thing.

The original Popeye and Blondie were pretty amusing, too, but I'm a bigger fan of Little Nemo.  My parents had this book when I was a kid and I read the whole thing several times.  It's worth the price.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3735 on: April 06, 2010, 04:56:55 PM

Don't get me wrong - I'm very aware of exactly how important Schulz was to the strip movement and I have a few collected editions of the first years of Peanuts, and they're wonderful - very much of their time, it's true - you hit the nail on the head with why C&H is so emotive to our generation - as Peanuts was back then. But yeah, it's the latter years of Schulz' life that spoil the splendour. I still admire his work ethic - never missed a single strip but for one tiny sabbatical in the 90s - 50 years of daily strips is astounding work. To be brutally honest, and it's a sentiment I seem to share with others here like yourself - I'd happily read any Peanuts retread than put up with a single fucking Garfield strip.

One of my biggest loves in cartoon strip format shares the era with Krazy Kat - Segar's Popeye/Thimble Theatre. Segar's life was tragically short, but he left a stupendous ammount of brilliant work behind.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #3736 on: April 06, 2010, 06:37:32 PM

That's a shameful ripoff of a better drawing.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3737 on: April 07, 2010, 07:52:26 AM

I was debating putting this in the awesome thread but it doesn't quite fit.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3738 on: April 07, 2010, 07:55:35 AM

Is that supposed to be insinuating that one of those pylons or whatever they are is stuck up that person's ass?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3739 on: April 07, 2010, 08:01:57 AM

Did you look at what it was advertising?  Or did you just want to type that so you could see it in print? 

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3740 on: April 07, 2010, 08:07:14 AM

To be fair, I didn't get the joke at all until he wrote it out.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3741 on: April 07, 2010, 08:08:03 AM

I saw what it was advertising and was hoping what I thought it meant wasn't true.  Sorry to offend your sensibilities.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3742 on: April 07, 2010, 08:14:08 AM

Must we explain every joke?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3743 on: April 07, 2010, 09:24:09 AM

Bollards.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3744 on: April 07, 2010, 10:03:13 AM

You didn't offend me!  I was teasing you.

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 459 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Funny picture thread  
Jump to: