Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence)  (Read 135634 times)
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: November 10, 2007, 04:20:30 PM

Thanks for the answers, easier to understand than the "this is manna from heaven" or "WTF BROKEN SHIT?!!?" posts.
schild
Administrator

Reply #106 on: November 10, 2007, 05:00:22 PM

Take anything Taolurker says with a grain of salt though. On another site he talks about it being the biggest broken piece of shit ever and over here he's discussing strategy. Even when he speaks truth, it may as well be a lie.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: November 10, 2007, 09:20:42 PM

Take anything Schild says with a grain of salt though. On his site only he is allowed a negative opinion and just because he's not experiencing issues doesn't equal it not being the biggest broken piece of shit ever. Even when he speaks truth, it may as well be a lie.

BTW Beta accounts are still good till Nov14, and Schild is mostly pissed that I haven't paid for this game, but am still playing it waiting for it to be worth my dollars.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
lariac
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: November 10, 2007, 09:36:51 PM

http://kotaku.com/gaming/erased/asian-hellgate-london-servers-to-get-wiped-321249.php

Asian servers get wiped.

Wonder why this didn't have the same effect on the US servers?

`A`ohe lokomaika`i i nele i ke pāna`i
schild
Administrator

Reply #109 on: November 10, 2007, 10:51:59 PM

Because IAH has no fucking clue how to do anything. Period.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: November 11, 2007, 03:00:03 AM

Because IAH has no fucking clue how to do anything. Period.

Could have happened like this, too:

Day 0: FSS cannot deliver patch0 to IAH in time for launch, so IAH is faced with a choice: launch with beta servers or delay the launch until they get patch0.
Day 1: IAH launches with beta servers.
Day 2: FSS gives patch0 to IAH, who are faced with a choice: bring down servers and wipe everyone or demand a patch from FSS that doesn't require a wipe.
Day 3-6: FSS works on a patch.
Day 7: People start to hit the level cap.
Day 8: IAH have run out of time, so FSS gives them what they have. IAH patches the servers.
Day 10: Every high-level character is fucked up beyond belief, FSS throws their hands in the air and IAH is forced wipe anyway.

(Day numbers are for illustrative purposes only)

Bottom line: IAH works with what FSS gives to them, if IAH fucks up it's only because FSS allows them to.
schild
Administrator

Reply #111 on: November 11, 2007, 03:01:07 AM

You mean IAH couldn't have tested the patch on an internal server? How do I shot patch?

Edit: I'm not defending Flagship here. They are chockfull of fuckups and they have at least 3 months of bugfixing ahead of them before they can really start churning out content that doesn't fuck things up beyond all recognition. Thing is, I'm pretty sure most of the people playing here are willing to wait those 3 months. As for IAH, meh, get some QA. They already knew Flagship was fucking up.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: November 12, 2007, 07:33:42 AM

I got the game Saturday morning.  I installed it with no problems.  Patched with no problems.  Had no problems running right from the start with default settings.

I got stuck on geometry twice.  I learned not to jump on top of things too much.  I wish they had a /unstuck command like SB had.

I played the crap out of the game for an unnatural amount of time.  I actual catassed this.  I have a level 18 Guardian with some forays into Evoker and Blademaster.  Evoker = Hard as hell to play in the beginning.  Swordsmaster = Easy, but not near as easy as Guardian.  Summary: Guardians are extreme easy mode.  Evoker = Extreme Hard mode (I'm sure they get pretty kick ass later.)

I had flash backs to DDO for melee fighting.  Very fast and chaotic with a lot of running around, strafing, and backing up.  This is all in a fun way, not annoying (like DDO got sometimes.)

Lewts.  My God, the Lewts!  The crafting!  Yes, the crafting.  I love it.  I really do.  While I'm sure there is a lot of fixing left to do, I got my money's worth already out of the box.  I'll hold off on a subscription until I feel like I "NEED" to get it.  That will probably happen as I near the end of Normal.  Although, I will want to play through on another class too, maybe on single player just to feel them out (to avoid lag issues.)

I think I had one true crash.  I had a few other issues but I think they are with my ISP.  It was obviously not enough to keep me from playing too much.  I just called them "Get your ass up and do something else" breaks.

Yeah, if you are on the fence on whether to purchase the box, I do believe it is well worth the cost for just playing single player or by yourself (without sub) online.  I didn't group up, didn't talke to anyone, and still had a blast.

You can always decide to sub later, but there are many hours of enjoyment to be had before you have to make that decision.  I'm estimating about 50 hours of playing before I'll feel I'm forced to decide.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: November 12, 2007, 07:46:28 AM

I got stuck on geometry twice.  I learned not to jump on top of things too much.  I wish they had a /unstuck command like SB had.

It's /stuck :)

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: November 12, 2007, 07:48:11 AM

There is a /stuck command, to teleport you to the zoneline. It has a 30 second cooldown.

Edit: beaten by Wolf.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: November 12, 2007, 09:03:45 AM

Ugh.  Ok, thanks!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #116 on: November 12, 2007, 11:10:07 AM

Hey CS Geldon, help me.

Where the in hell are the Armor Sets?! That was one of my personal faves from Diablo 2. Are there armour sets here, and if so what colours do they have?

schild
Administrator

Reply #117 on: November 12, 2007, 11:11:53 AM

Item Sets aren't in yet. They are tier 4.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: November 12, 2007, 11:31:52 AM

Nice.

Uhm, are you serious by the way? What's tier 4 in HGL terms? And any leaked hint about the possible colour of set items? (I am a sucker for colours)

schild
Administrator

Reply #119 on: November 12, 2007, 11:43:30 AM

In between Epic and Legendary.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: November 12, 2007, 12:12:36 PM

Uhm.

Could someone fix this for me?

Tier 0 - White - Common
Tier 1 - Green - Uncommon
Tier 2 - Blue - Rare
Tier 3 - Orange - Legendary
Tier 4 - Color... ? - Sets Item (not yet released)
Tier 5 - Color... ? - Epic

Tier ? - Yellow - Unique

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 12:22:02 PM by Falconeer »

schild
Administrator

Reply #121 on: November 12, 2007, 12:14:16 PM

Tier 5 is epics. Yellow.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #122 on: November 12, 2007, 12:20:18 PM

Uhm.

Could someone fix this for me?

Tier 0 - White - Common
Tier 2 - Blue - Rare
Tier 4 - Color... ? - Sets Item (not yet released)
Tier 5 - Color... ? - Epic

Tier ? - Yellow - Unique

I know Uniques are yellowish brown, also the star system has Legendary items as 5 stars. Does that mean they are t5?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: November 12, 2007, 12:23:29 PM

So:

Tier 0 - White - Common
Tier 2 - Blue - Rare
*Tier 4 - Color... ? - Sets Item (not yet released)*
Tier 5 - Yellow - Unique/Epic (like the Fawkes' gloves)

We basically miss a tier, colour unknown.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 12:25:25 PM by Falconeer »

geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: November 12, 2007, 01:30:13 PM

I think (and I'll get schooled on this if I'm wrong) that the set gear in Hellgate: London (which is currently not enabled as set gear) is currently identifiable by the name.  For example, Faulker's <something something>.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #125 on: November 12, 2007, 02:10:39 PM

The names on gear seem just to be properties, not set parts. ie, Fawkes stuff (even pre-gloves) adds ignite points. I had a helm and boots that were of wildly different levels, one blue one orange, both Fawkes.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: November 14, 2007, 05:19:59 PM

PC Gamer has given it a 89%, the highest rating yet for Hellgate: London.

Unfortunately, they gave Two Worlds (this generation's Ultima 9) an 81% in the same issue.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: November 14, 2007, 10:04:34 PM

PCG reviewed the september beta on private servers. It was an exclusive, given 5 full pages, and got the cover. Also note that there's no byline for the review, because the author didn't want his name to be associated with it. They are dirty whores.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: November 14, 2007, 10:08:02 PM

The 1up review was pretty funny. They gave it a 4.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: November 14, 2007, 10:10:19 PM

It's a 4 on a true 1-10 scale, not the 7-9 used in many other publications. The 4 means it's below average; the equivalent of IGN's 7.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: November 15, 2007, 04:13:29 AM

PC Gamer has given it a 89%, the highest rating yet for Hellgate: London.
Any time a game gets an 89% review, it should send up immediate warning flags. 89% means "We got paid to give this game a good score but even such amoral prostistutes as ourselves cannot bring ourselves to give this game the magic 90%+ rating. Ignore this entire review"

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: November 15, 2007, 05:01:53 PM

It's a 4 on a true 1-10 scale, not the 7-9 used in many other publications. The 4 means it's below average; the equivalent of IGN's 7.

According to their rating it is "bad", but really "below average" ain't no great shakes either.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #132 on: November 15, 2007, 05:20:16 PM

The 1up review was pretty funny. They gave it a 4.

You're not all bad. Underneath the frustrating instability, behind the graceless chat window, and beyond the procession of NPC dialog boxes, you tickled that deep primordial need to gather more stuff and get stronger. Loot and leveling are the essence of any RPG, and you're equipped to satisfy that jones. Now, if only you could straighten up the rest of your act, you might be more than a partner in whatever dysfunctional need you meet for those unfortunate players willing to put up with you. You might be an actual good game. But for now, get help. Patches, add-ons, reboots...whatever. If that happens, give me a call.

This guy should get the f13 seal of not sucking cock while writing about a video game.  Not that the writing itself was stupendous or anything but at least he called a spade and spade without getting all "OMG SUXXOR ANGST!"  I thought this final paragraph was a damn good summation of how I feel about the game myself.

Do not get me wrong (Schild) this is not some kind of endorsement of this "review" (it really isn't Schild) it was way too short and vague and didn't actually tell anyone who hasn't been playing HG:L since launch wtf is going on (I know that Schild) but he still sucks considerably less ass then most reviewers (can't we give him that Schild?).  Taking that into consideration I think we should send him a: f13 says- "I don't suck as much dick as the guy two cubicles down" pen. (r)

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #133 on: November 15, 2007, 05:30:50 PM

I don't think he's getting shit. That reviewer is Tom Chick. He runs Q23.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #134 on: November 15, 2007, 06:39:18 PM

Loot and leveling are the essence of any mmoRPG, and you're equipped to satisfy that jones.

Fixed. Seriously.   angry

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
schild
Administrator

Reply #135 on: November 15, 2007, 06:49:22 PM

Actually, Loot and Leveling are the essence of all current MMORPGs.

But HEY, think whatever you want. Even ATITD is about loot and leveling.
So it Eve.
Anyway, everything.

Also, Tom Chick knows more than you rk47.

Q23 is to wankery silly bullshit as f13 is to WANTING TO FIX THE PROBLEM. Which is to say, they're on the other side of the mirror.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: November 16, 2007, 04:12:24 AM

Actually, Loot and Leveling are the essence of all current MMORPGs.
[...]
So it Eve.

Eve? Not sure.
And Shadowbane?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #137 on: November 16, 2007, 04:33:11 AM

Without loot and levelling (skilling) in EVE everybody would still be flying around in their newbie Frigates.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: November 16, 2007, 04:40:46 AM

I think it's a bit stretched but I can see your point.

This leaves us with Shadowbane being the only MMORPG not being (anymore) about loot and leveling. Just until they pull the plug.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #139 on: November 16, 2007, 04:55:39 AM

I didn't play Shadowbane but how did you get the resources to build your city?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence)  
Jump to: