Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:46:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence)  (Read 135631 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 01:02:42 PM

I thought we were talking about where we should look to decide if HGL is hyped?

Here it has a whole subforum.

Oh.

Conversations these days are impossible to follow.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 01:03:07 PM

ONCE AGAIN, PEOPLE READING A FORUM ON THE INTERNET.
Are there any PC gamers in HG:L's target market left who don't browse forums on the Internet?
I bet most Diablo players don't. It sold what, 6M worldwide?

That would be part of their target audience, no question.
What outlet do you recommended then?
f13. We catch nearly everything.

Well then, all is well with the world then.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 01:34:59 PM

WHAT?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 01:43:52 PM

Please stop pointing at hardcore motherfuckers who browse specialty types as evidence of anything.
Again, in case I was unclear. Library. Periodical room. PC Gamer. Every month it gets read by dozens of kids. One copy.

Maybe PC Gamer survives because they run hookers out of their office...but I would imagine it's because they have a decent sized readership.

Are you one of those 'print is dead' dorks?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 01:44:44 PM

For PC gaming in print yes. Whatever is in them is at least a month old.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 03:05:00 PM

PC Gamer has a decent amount of readers. Every time I got to my local Barnes and Noble there is a copy ether being read by some one, or sitting still warm on a chair cause some one just got finished.

So, tell us oh great one. If you where to hype a action-rpg game, where would you put ads? I personally think PC Gamer and Play is a pretty good start. Also like I said, Intel is featuring Hellgate in their new ad. Compared to a lot of new games it has WAY more coverage in the advertisment department.

Gone are the days where Joe gamers doesnt surf the net. Hell, my bestfriends wife spends a few hours a day reading Viva Pinata forums, and she is about as non gamer as they come.
schild
Administrator

Reply #41 on: October 30, 2007, 03:28:16 PM

I put them where Blizzard put WoW ads.

Fucking everywhere.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 03:32:39 PM

They've had ads on PA for a while. 

Any word on a magical post-gold patch?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #43 on: October 30, 2007, 03:46:28 PM

The ads are also on Break.com all over it, including a countdown clock.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #44 on: October 30, 2007, 05:21:08 PM

If anything, this game has been COMPLETELY underhyped. Due to the length of the NDA and crap PR they have, it has been ANYTHING but overhyped.
That's cause the game is not that good.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #45 on: October 30, 2007, 06:04:51 PM

The game is okay fun.  I can see it being good with a group of friends but I can also seeing it getting old quickly if they don't provide new stuffs.  Random maps are a nice thing but unless they give a whole lot more in the way of content, I don't see it lasting long.  People aren't going to pay a subscription fee for long unless they give them lots of cool junk and new thingies to look at.  Having housing will only be a draw if, in addition to lots of storage, you're able to have the machines for mods.  Otherwise, I don't really see the point.

Also... the hair for women in this game sucks.  REALLY sucks.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #46 on: October 30, 2007, 06:40:51 PM

There were four pages of Hellgate ads last time I flipped through a Maxim.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #47 on: October 30, 2007, 07:19:27 PM

Also... the hair for women in this game sucks.  REALLY sucks.
Yes, and the faces, and the body slider.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 30, 2007, 07:21:37 PM

And they JUST started tv ads in a tiny dosage.
You don't notice ads ;)

They've had ads in all three of my gaming-related magazines (PCG, GFW and EGM), the four-page variety, the ones with the three characters and the London Underground map, for a few months now. The game hasn't been hyped, but they certainly have been spending ad dollars on traditional media.

And I have a hardcore postcount and read the magazines. They cover games I'd never otherwise even look at and are easier on the eyes than my PSP.

As to the game itself, I finally grabbed the demo. Unlike apparently a bunch of others, I had no real problems, running at maxed DX9 settings (you can have my WinXP when you can pry it...)

It's a fun shooter. Haven't tried the blademaster yet though. At first I didn't even realize there was a third-person perspective, and I didn't mind in the same way I don't mind it in other FPS games. This is the sort of responsive semi-twitch stat-adjusted combat UI TR should have had and SWG really wanted.

I was surprised, a lot, by how it at first didn't feel like Diablo after all. Then 20 minutes in, it decidedly did. Fun, fast, not sure about longevity but really don't care. There's a hole in actiony-RPG gaming right now this may fill nicely. And the weapon options are fun enough to even drag in some other types of gamers.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 31, 2007, 08:12:20 AM

If there's no Horadric Cube, forget it.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 31, 2007, 08:31:42 AM

There's a crafting station where you can improve items. The only one I saw improved stuff you inserted if you also inserted resources. I don't know where the resources come from though presumably it is from deconstructing loot drops, or something not available to Demo-mode players. I'm also not sure if this is the same station you use to insert mods onto weapons, mods which seem to be like D2 gems.

So no Horadric Cube per se, but ample (maybe) ways to customize what you've got.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #51 on: October 31, 2007, 08:42:33 AM

Mods just drop right in, no need for a machine. You do have to use one to get them out 'demodificator' gives you back the gun and the mods, so no reason to not slot something other than feed cost, and $$ to get the mod out
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 31, 2007, 08:50:20 AM

I keep every single mod until I have a fully modded weapon for each mob type.  It can get expensive removing and swapping mods, especially on 8 slot rifles, but once you get a base set it really pays off on the more difficult or pita maps.  Especially flying mobs and those bugs that tunnel around.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 31, 2007, 08:53:09 AM

One fine point is that socketing mods is restricted by item level. So if you have an ilvl 5 mod, it can only fit in items between levels 4 and 8 (for example). This can lead to issues with the nanoupgraded items where unsocketed mods can't be resocketed and are rendered instantly useless.

I believe they removed the ability to nanoupgrade items an infinite number of times, so this is less of an issue than it once was.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #54 on: October 31, 2007, 09:19:33 AM

On the Test Center before launch, it was 5 upgrades (10 item levels iirc)

Up to level 22 at least, you'll find enough decent weapons not to need upgrades except on early legendaries. And pseudo-uniques like Shaun's Trusty Sidekick.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 31, 2007, 12:14:40 PM

So no Horadric Cube per se, but ample (maybe) ways to customize what you've got.

For me, the Cube was not about customizing as much as it was about the whole combining things.  The Cube was the most awesome thing in all of Diablo II. I'm ever wistful about the Horadric Cube.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 31, 2007, 05:30:43 PM

I think what schild was getting at is this - the latest Halo was hyped.  Hellgate, not as much.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #57 on: November 01, 2007, 12:19:49 AM

I think what schild was getting at is this - the latest Halo was hyped.  Hellgate, not as much.

Using WoW and Halo as benchmarks for advertising / hype doesn't work. Both are established franchises and backed by millions of dollars just in advertising budget. Hellgate: London is a newcomer that is likely better suited to a niche. It's like complaining that Dr Pepper doesn't advertise as much as Coke or Pepsi. It can't afford to.

Hellgate: London failed in the advertising I saw because it didn't have a clear message. Is it a MMO? Is it a first person action game? Do you really need an internet connection? And it costs how much?

The only thing schild has been right on regarding HG:L's marketing has been the PR / marketing strategy. NDA should have dropped weeks ago to let fans get out there and advocate the game to build word of mouth. The ads needed to do a better job of distinguishing HG:L from every other demon-fighting game that is out there. Also, the 'hype' has been building for so long, it had petered out quite a bit by the time of actual launch.

Plus: launch appears to be a disaster.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #58 on: November 01, 2007, 12:40:46 AM

Hellgate: London failed in the advertising I saw because it didn't have a clear message. Is it a MMO? Is it a first person action game? Do you really need an internet connection?

Plus: launch appears to be a disaster.

Fuck, I played beta and I'm not even sure how to answer those questions.  Launch day problems?  Can't you just fucking play this game single player?

I think I'm going to buy STALKER or Witcher instead.  I'd rather have eastern bloc bugs than MMO fuckups.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: November 01, 2007, 12:47:02 AM

Also, the 'hype' has been building for so long, it had petered out quite a bit by the time of actual launch.

This, I do not agree with.

The hype for this game was half as long as most MMOGs.

Of course, lulz, it's only half-MMO.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 01, 2007, 01:00:45 AM

I feel real dirty after playing, the feeling I get when I think I'm playing a Retail game but it's actually a beta product.

I managed to get the Act 1 Boss to infinitely respawn.  He kicked my Marksman pansy ass all over the British Museum each time, but, hey, eventually, lots of blues because he wouldn't stop spawning!

I want to study the game systems now because I have no fucking clue what's going on.  I can't seem to kill a regenerating monster.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #61 on: November 01, 2007, 02:56:13 AM

Man, that's nothing. When I hit level 15, my health started ticking down. Turns out my health regen reversed itself.

I beat all the parts of the Mind of 314 without dying once.

That's right. My health was a time limit. Halfway through the final little guy, I had to eat my fucking Halloween Apple to delay my inevitable death. Finally as I was leaving my health ticked down to 1 and just stayed there. awesome, for real
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #62 on: November 01, 2007, 06:13:23 AM

lol.

You still take this week off?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #63 on: November 01, 2007, 06:55:50 AM

I ate my caramel apple as soon as I got it.  I don't why.  It looked so good.  I just can't help it.   undecided

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 01, 2007, 07:24:22 AM

For PC gaming in print yes. Whatever is in them is at least a month old.

I used to read PC Gamer during my first year in Iraq. Since reintegrating into the civilized world, I haven't picked one up. Why pay eight bucks for news I can use when I can get it here and only risk a verbal skullfucking. awesome, for real

I ate my caramel apple as soon as I got it.  I don't why.  It looked so good.  I just can't help it.   undecided

Caramel apples are tasty.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 01, 2007, 08:00:14 AM

I hope mine doesn't have a razorblade in it.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #66 on: November 01, 2007, 10:25:03 AM

Why pay eight bucks for news I can use when I can get it here and only risk a verbal skullfucking.

Cause using your laptop on the toilet sucks?
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 01, 2007, 10:47:13 AM

Why pay eight bucks
Who pays for magazines? Get free subscriptions from sites like fatwallet, slickdeals, etc.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 01, 2007, 11:34:42 AM

Why pay eight bucks for news I can use when I can get it here and only risk a verbal skullfucking.

Cause using your laptop on the toilet sucks?

I don't bring my laptop to the bathroom. Jacking off at my desk is more convenient... uhh.... Wait, what were you trying to say?

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #69 on: November 01, 2007, 11:16:10 PM

So far I'm digging it but I have no idea how long I'll stay interested.

I got that within the first 10 minutes of playing as a guardian and I'm having a good time. The loot is pretty cool at least.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence)  
Jump to: