Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: The "WUA blathers about UO" thread. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "WUA blathers about UO" thread.  (Read 13016 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: October 15, 2007, 12:41:30 AM

Note:  Attempts to derail this into a Trammel fight will be ignored.  Everything posted by Sinij, period, will be ignored.

Those who are familiar will remember that when the town of Magincia was introduced in Ultima 4 way back in 1985, it was a burned-out ruin full of undead things, the city supposedly having been destroyed by demons for it's sin of pride some time previous.  Yet in Ultima Online, Magincia has always been pristine, the online game taking place prior to this event.  Well apparently, the destruction of Magincia by demons is the Halloween event for this year.

I wouldn't bother posting about it, but there are some features involved that make it sound a lot more interesting than just spawning monsters inside the city for a few weeks.  Some developer quotes:

If you try to fight from a boat, they're going to try set it on fire.
If you try to fight from inside a building, they're going to try to set it on fire.
If you try to fight at all, they're going to try to set you on fire.
I do not anticipate many issues with boat blocking. Heh.
P.S. For those who were still wondering: yes, the entire city can be destroyed from ground up. Trees, buildings - the daemons will do most of it if not stopped, and you'll also have access to cannons for defense. Intentional misfires will result in a very unhappy military. Objects destroyed during the attacks may turn into "rubble" which can be carried away.
You'll have every chance (to affect whether the city is destroyed permanently); each shard may have a different outcome.

I love this sort of shit.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:00:52 AM

I neither know nor care jack shit about UO, but this is the kind of world event that I prefer to crap like wakening the Sleeper, or the AQ event in WoW.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 05:45:31 AM

Isn't UO the sequel to that POS Tabula Rasa?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 06:11:33 AM

Can we take off and nuke the site from orbit?

It's the only way to be sure, you know.

Oh, and uh... Trammel!

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 06:42:23 AM

I thought UO was set after U7 in the lore? Not that any of the players would know, of course.

And didn't they invade Trinsic in 2000? It was kind of a big deal at the time. Of course that outcome was predetermined, which sucked.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 07:02:30 AM

Yea, there were invasions in four different places in February 2000. Iirc, the first set was Trinsic/somewhere and the second set was Yew/Vespar. I was in the latter and it was a hoot.

What's different here is the last quote WUA provided:

You'll have every chance (to affect whether the city is destroyed permanently); each shard may have a different outcome.
If I hadn't deleted my character after giving away all my stuff, I'd reup for this alone. This is good stuff.

This is also the main reason I've never since deleted a character nor given away my stuff :) Ya just never know what's going to happen some crazy number of years down the road.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 07:28:38 AM

I bought UO the other week and 45 hrs for like 9.99 at EB.  Whatever happened to the 3d client -- EA nuke that?   Also, what do I do not to suck?  Holy cognitive overload batgirl.  Macros the key?  Simple things like picking up loot are hard.  And for that matter, where do I sell shit?    Hello Kitty
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 07:59:02 AM

Shouldn't this be in the "games nobody gives a fuck about" section that's dedicated to it?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 08:23:09 AM

I bought UO the other week and 45 hrs for like 9.99 at EB.  Whatever happened to the 3d client -- EA nuke that?   Also, what do I do not to suck?  Holy cognitive overload batgirl.  Macros the key?  Simple things like picking up loot are hard.  And for that matter, where do I sell shit?    Hello Kitty

Make a warrior with the default template they offer at character creation, and do all the New Haven newbie quests that are appropriate for your character.  Everyone just wants you to fight undead in the old city until whatever skill they care about hits 50, but it's worthwhile.  As long as you're on the quest and fighting in the old city, you gain that skill extra fast.  Plus they give you bits and pieces of gear when you complete them.

What shard are you on?  I mostly play Atlantic these days.  Get hold of me and I'll hook you up.  I'm in a pretty good guild that holds regular events and whatnot.  We held a fair one week, the next week one of our guys won a joust another guild was holding, and last week we had a pre-arranged PVP fight to advance an ongoing RP storyline we have with a few other guilds.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 08:25:27 AM by WindupAtheist »

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 11:29:46 AM

I thought UO was set after U7 in the lore? Not that any of the players would know, of course.

UO was originally planned to take place after Ultima 1, and was an alternate dimension from all that Avatar stuff. It's just a really big coincidence that it looks like the U4 world. (The intro movie kinda let us know this.)

After ten years and multiple dev teams, it's probably understandable that they're playing fast and loose with the lore. Whatever makes a cool event I s'pose.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 06:33:01 PM

Thanks.  I enjoy the puttering around, but I won't have any serious time to devote for awhile.  It certainly takes some time to get used to :)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 06:42:56 PM

If you get time and feel like giving it a go, throw me a PM.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 07:05:16 AM

Sounds cool. I always liked UO. But it also sounds like a rush to get phat lewtz, especially that rubble business, I bet that becomes the new uber-rare item of great value. Large-scale events just end badly, because of the LCD effect.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 09:02:45 AM

I met Scaramandine once.  He chatted to me for five minutes then called me a fool and left.

That was awesome.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 12:33:34 AM

Heh.  Currently they're having players post the location of any Seer or GM blessed buildings they know of in their shard's Magincia, so the developers can tailor the publish to each shard and keep those specific buildings from being destroyed.  I don't really care about the old Seer stuff, but it's nice to see them going to the trouble to save it.

UO has been pretty good about events for the last year and a half or so.  Specifically, they've been good about allowing players to actually win them.  They use spawn points that can switch on and off, and change what they spawn, in response to what's going on around them.  So when three or four cities were invaded by Ophidians last year, the monsters could gain and lose ground depending on how quickly players were killing them.  If the players could sustain a high enough kill-rate for a long enough time, eventually some boss creatures capable of dropping artifacts would spawn.  If the players killed those, the Ophidians were beaten and the invasion of that particular city was over.  It was over a week before we had everything on Europa cleared out.

It was some good shit, which is why I'm looking forward to this Halloween thing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:37:30 AM by WindupAtheist »

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 06:54:55 AM

What did happen to the isometric client thing?  Is it still in testing?

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 10:08:23 AM

Did you two find each other's MySpace pages or something?  This arrangement makes me uncomfortable.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 12:15:10 PM

Well you know, both clients are isometric.  The new KR client is coming along, but they really need to make the chat system more robust.  As it is, they dump all /party and /guild chat overhead along with /say, which makes it hard to follow who can hear what without looking at the chatbox.

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 07:48:30 AM

If you will allow me to be pedantic, the current client is pseudo-isometric.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 10:22:29 PM

You are indeed allowed, sir!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: The "WUA blathers about UO" thread.  
Jump to: