Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:35:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL Football- It's FANtastic! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL Football- It's FANtastic!  (Read 174887 times)
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: April 17, 2008, 01:44:32 PM

He loves football and he loves to win, but he loves himself more than anything.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
WayAbvPar

Reply #596 on: April 17, 2008, 03:01:41 PM

I remember The Tackle. Super Bowl XXXIV. Sad to see McNair go without a ring.

Also, Chad Johnson is a chucklehead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgNREzBAnY4

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Wow you are a classy fucking idiot.  He got hit so damn hard in that game.

Nobody would ever accuse the guy of being smart but he loves football and he loves to win.  He loves himself too but that comes 3rd which is a great deal better then at least half the #1 WR's in the league.  I dont know why I'm even getting involved, f13 doesn't get sports for shit.  Thats how I feel every time I ever read a sports thread around here...

Give me a goddamned break, your all knowing holiness.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #597 on: April 17, 2008, 07:26:46 PM

WR's get hit plenty. In an open field fashion at that.

Not to say there aren't loudmouths, but gtfo out of the football thread if you don't like wide receivers.

Also, you guys are too white for your own good.

Also, I'm as serious as you are. At least I hope.

Yeah they are taking major shots all the time. Oh wait, no. Most of the plays in football, a wideout runs down the field and then runs back to the huddle. Awww, you got touched by the safety? Hell, that's hardly even allowed by the rules anymore because they are pussies. Almost EVERY PLAY a runningback is taking a hit or making a block. Every play an O-line guy is taking a major block in the trenches.

Wideouts are almost as Johnny-One-Job as kickers. They just happen to be out there every play. Run a pattern, try not to fucking drop it, on the 25% chance the QB sees you. That's it. Period. Watch one try to actually block if someone runs their way. It's pure comedy. And yet they have this Jesus walk about the job like it's curing the blind.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #598 on: April 17, 2008, 08:42:45 PM

A RB is getting blocked and forced down more than smacked. Besides that, they're taught to truck once they lose their balance anyways, instead of waiting to get outright slammed down (that more often occurs behind the o line for them i.e. in an open field..and they rarely get caught there).

WR's block too.

I just have to ask... Have you ever even played WR -- I mean, against another good team? Be honest now. That was always my position at least. I know what it feels like to get hit, and it isn't always pleasant. Safety or linebacker, it doesn't matter. Besides that, once you make a TD, you're probably the most hated offensive player on the field, more than the QB even. Everyone wants to hit you harder than usual.

I will definitely give it to the RB position as being a helluva lot more tiring though.

Anyways, I really don't want to get into argument as to which one is more "legimate". It's silly.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #599 on: April 17, 2008, 08:45:56 PM

No I played Tight End. You can guess at why I hated Wide Outs because of that. They were usually the fastest but least team-oriented players I'd ever seen. Plus I had to have twice the hands they did just to stay at my position, and be able to block.

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #600 on: April 17, 2008, 08:53:36 PM

This conversation got weird.  All I was pointing out was this - say whatever you want about Chad Johnson, that clip on the Tubes shows him after a *massive* concussion earned by taken a shot over the middle.  It's an interesting piece of evidence in the "WRs are Pussies" debate.

Being a Bears fan means I know a lot about how not to run a passing game.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #601 on: April 17, 2008, 08:54:21 PM

Well shit man! I figured a tight end would understand at least. Surely you've been hit good at least once. Same kind of hits at least.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: April 17, 2008, 09:04:11 PM

Well shit man! I figured a tight end would understand at least. Surely you've been hit good at least once. Same kind of hits at least.

I played safety in the Big 10.  I enjoyed being on the giving end of a few shots to WR's and TE's.  I have fond memories of quarterbacks throwing high over the middle.  Damnit, now I'm drooling. 

Back to the topic, WR's do take their share of shots.  As a result, the top tier WR's are significanly bigger than they were in my playing days.  At the NFL level they take a lot more abuse than many realize. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #603 on: April 17, 2008, 09:38:32 PM

[edit] Eh, nevermind.  smiley
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:48:51 PM by Stray »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #604 on: April 18, 2008, 05:28:54 AM

I played safety in the Big 10.  I enjoyed being on the giving end of a few shots to WR's and TE's.  I have fond memories of quarterbacks throwing high over the middle.  Damnit, now I'm drooling. 

Great, now I'm picturing Gordon Ramsay running accross a football field, screaming "It's Fucking Raw!!!" just before hitting someone.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: April 18, 2008, 05:39:32 AM

Oh, football news?  Anyone want Johnson, Cincinnati's fed-up with him.. just like that no-goonick Corey Dillon! Feh, and what happened to HIM when he left Cinci because he bitched like a 3 year old?  Ohhhhh, I see.

I'll just be happy to see Johnson out my division.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?    I know there's a LOT of talk that he might end up in Philly, but that could be wishful thinking on their part. 

You think Philly would want a possible Terell 2.0 situation?  I have my doubts.

I think it's a bit funny to see T.J. Houshmandzadeh (championship) giving his 2 cents on the subject.  He is basically saying that Chad is too much of a distraction to keep right now.  I think TJ wouldn't mind becoming the #1 man in town (could be argued he is now with 112 receptions) - with Chris Henry about to be suspended for life, and Chad Johnson "larger than lifie"ing himself out of Cincy.  He may be right, it may be right for the team to move on...but players shouldn't be able to pull this shit year after year.

I think the previous argument is fucked-up IMO.  I won't argue that many WR's are whiny pre-madonna bitches, but a big difference between a bitch and a pussy. Anquan Boldin, Hines Ward, Steve Smith, Roy Williams are far from pussies.

What's got my interest right now in the NFL is the Draft and the controversy over the having the #1 or one of the first 5 picks.  It's out of control, when a rookie (Jemarcus Russel)  can hold a team hostage, then be given a bigger contract than the NFL Defensive Player of the Year (Bob Sanders)...without even taking a snap? Crazy. Gaines Adams making more than Strahan? Crazy.  Great article in ESPN Mag right now about the situation.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #606 on: April 18, 2008, 10:49:22 AM

Yeah, I did, and yeah they take hits. I'm not saying they don't take occasional brutal punishment. It's football, not Jenga. What I am saying is that on offense they take the least contact of any player on the field, unless your O-line is fucking godly and your QB is built like a behemoth.

It's not really about that though. The hits was a side issue thing, and I'm content to let that issue of it go. It was the idea that they were curing cancer by catching passes, and fucking hotdogging in the endzone like morons. The coach would light them up for it every time, but it wouldn't stop them. Fuck the haters, yo, we're out to get ours, etc.

It's that kind of shit. I respect the hell out of any WR who is good at what they do and doesn't play into that nonsense. Jerry Rice, Wes Welker (because he's tiny and white but still in the NFL), Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith, Hines Ward, etc.

My favorite player is still Ben Watson because of the Georgia Bulldog TE connection. I think he's a great guy having gone to school with him and known him through his girlfriend at the time who is now his wife. We were both in the Georgia Leadership Scholars program together.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:01:31 AM by Paelos »

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: April 18, 2008, 01:10:28 PM

I read an interesting article a few years back that found a correlation between loudmouth WRs and higher paying contracts. Not sure if I buy into the article, but I should try and dig it up.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #608 on: April 19, 2008, 03:53:50 AM

Maybe not the right place to post this and I am sure it has been posted elsewhere already, but being unable to find it I wonder: anyone of you guys playing Goal Line Blitz?

Not much to play there actually (although you can be a Owner/Manager/Coach or a Player (or a multitude of them), it's all about bantering over the boards and hoping to win. But somehow, lots of fun. Especially if your team ends up in the League Superbowl (which is tomorrow, 1pm) upsetting the only undefeated and smack-talking team and you've been the hero of the match with 2 interceptions.

There's a EVE-kind of logic so the sooner you get into the game the stronger you'll be over new players, so if you plan to check it do it as soon as you can. Season one only started 20 days ago and Season 2 is starting in 3 days.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #609 on: July 02, 2008, 01:02:10 PM

This necro-post is brought to you by the following statement:

Fuck Brett Favre. 

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: July 02, 2008, 01:05:37 PM

Fuck Brett Favre. 

What now?  I don't see any new news on him. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: July 02, 2008, 01:06:46 PM

This necro-post is brought to you by the following statement:

Fuck Brett Favre. 

Is there some news that would cause me to go all Nerf on your ass for that comment about "The ManTM "?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

Reply #612 on: July 02, 2008, 01:08:38 PM

Buzz is that he's told people he wants to play.  Which in all likelihood means it's now a certainty he'll be back.  Go find your clipboard, Mr. Rodgers.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: July 02, 2008, 01:10:38 PM

Buzz is that he's told people he wants to play.  Which in all likelihood means it's now a certainty he'll be back.

Can't really blame him.  Especially with guys like Testaverde around as an example.  Hell, I would have played football until today if it weren't for silly little things like health and eligibility. 

-  Mark Twain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: July 02, 2008, 01:12:46 PM

Buzz is that he's told people he wants to play.  Which in all likelihood means it's now a certainty he'll be back.  Go find your clipboard, Mr. Rodgers.

If he comes back, it would have to be as a starter from day one. Can't let the streak break to be backup to your protege.

And if he does come back, damn I will need to get a TV before September I guess!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

Reply #615 on: July 02, 2008, 01:14:06 PM

How many goddamn Brett Favre coronation seasons do I have to sit through? He retired. He cried on national TV.  Tears mean no take backs, damnit.

Tantrum

My mouth is agape in horror with the thought of having to listen to Chris Berman talk about Brett Favre for another season.  ACK!

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: July 02, 2008, 01:14:53 PM

How many goddamn Brett Favre coronation seasons do I have to sit through? He retired. He cried on national TV.  Tears mean no take backs, damnit.

Tantrum

Are you, perchance, a Bears fan?

Rasix

Reply #617 on: July 02, 2008, 01:16:58 PM

No, just someone that is really, really tired of the Brett Favre retirement epic.

I do have a Bears T-shirt, however.  Wife bought me one on a business trip.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: July 02, 2008, 01:28:40 PM

My mouth is agape in horror with the thought of having to listen to Chris Berman talk about Brett Favre for another season.  ACK!

Don't forget the Favre man-love trough that is John Madden. 

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #619 on: July 02, 2008, 01:54:21 PM

Fuck, I love me some Brett Favre, but I do not want to see him comeback. Once you hang it up, really, just learn to hang it up. Don't be Michael Jordan. Know when to stop. Even if he would be better than many of his younger peers, he still wouldn't be what made him so good.

WayAbvPar

Reply #620 on: July 02, 2008, 02:05:50 PM

He is like a horror movie villain. It will take a beheading to end this.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #621 on: July 02, 2008, 10:19:46 PM

Fuck, I love me some Brett Favre, but I do not want to see him comeback. Once you hang it up, really, just learn to hang it up. Don't be Michael Jordan. Know when to stop. Even if he would be better than many of his younger peers, he still wouldn't be what made him so good.

I would agree that he coming back now seems shitty. You sat there and poured your heart out to the public and we all had a good awww moment over it. Now, you shit on that moment if you walk back out there. We all knew he was still "young" and could play.

I hope he listens to his family and doesn't do this. I can't believe his wife thinks this is a good idea.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #622 on: July 03, 2008, 05:18:00 AM

Maybe he'll go play baseball for a while.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: July 03, 2008, 06:01:45 AM

I just glanced through this whole thread and I have to say reading Haem's posts was pure comedy.  I'm just sad that the thread ended really with shitty talk with Tom Brady been a dad and no comments on the playoffs.  (Maybe it's a different thread I have to search for?)

Anyway good stuff Haem.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #624 on: July 12, 2008, 06:39:18 PM

The Brett Favre thing is getting really ugly really fast.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #625 on: July 13, 2008, 09:35:02 AM

Well, the second they release him, he signs with Minnesota and it would get *really* ugly.  If Farve wants to go back on his retirement this quickly, they have every right to control the impact on their franchise that his return represents.  They should be able to get some draft picks for him, at least.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: July 13, 2008, 09:42:23 AM

Well, the second they release him, he signs with Minnesota and it would get *really* ugly.  If Farve wants to go back on his retirement this quickly, they have every right to control the impact on their franchise that his return represents.  They should be able to get some draft picks for him, at least.

Nobody is going to give draft picks for a one-year guy.  The Packers are being incredibly stupid about this.  They'll fight and fight and eventually release him, only Favre will hate them and never want to appear in Green Bay for so much as a goodwill visit ever again. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #627 on: July 13, 2008, 01:57:49 PM

Jesus, why can't Favre just retire? Why does he have to do this every year? It got real old two years ago, and got better last year because he didn't leave everyone hanging. This year though... come on, the organization has already moved on, as they should. The team should get something for him if he wants to come back and doesn't want to do it on their terms. They have him under contract.

I love Brett Favre, but hang it up. Please. Don't make this an ugly soap opera.

Rasix

Reply #628 on: July 14, 2008, 12:01:38 PM

Interview on FoxNews at 10pm ET with Greta Van Susteren.   awesome, for real 

Best part is the advertisement for "Brett Favre: The Tribute" next to the article for this.

I would like the Packers to stick to their guns for this.  Seems less possible every single day, but I have hope.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #629 on: July 14, 2008, 08:07:55 PM

I don't think Farve actually wanted to come back to begin with, but then the Packers had to fuck the whole thing up and say he COULDN'T come back. Throw out the fact that it's a stupid way of dealing with anyone normal, they didn't seem to think about the legions of fans that would take offense to this as well. Of course he CAN come back.

Still, Favre sounds like an ass in the interview.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL Football- It's FANtastic!  
Jump to: