Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:33:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Team Fortress 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Team Fortress 2  (Read 180262 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: September 19, 2007, 12:26:11 PM

I'll cowboy up and start a new thread, having this in two or more places is soon going to approach ridiculousness.  I don't think we have enough material in the current threads to warrant moves of posts, so I'll just get this going from scratch.

First off, it's awesome.  Second, it seems to crash a lot for some people.  Not me.

I'm a noob.  I like the scout, so my first question is whether the bat is loads better than the scattergun.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 12:31:12 PM

The bat's chief advantage, other than making a satisfying "CONK" noise, is not needing to be reloaded.  I think if you're close enough to use a bat, the scattergun will do just as much damage (at point blank it seems like a couple of hits will knock anything down).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:32:50 PM

Bat does more damage on average unless you get a critical hit. It also "fires" about 3 times as fast. Remember, you can get a partial shot with a rifle. You can't get a partial with a bat.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:38:37 PM

Partial, did not know that.  The thing that limited my BOUNCY DEATH was the horrendous reload on the scattergun, so I will definitely give the bat a whack (keke).  I'm going to have to try out all of the melee weapons, I totally ignored them.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:41:24 PM

I'll cowboy up and start a new thread

I actually suggested it in thread three because of this:

Second, it seems to crash a lot for some people.  Not me.

I was thinking with all the geeks here that it would find a solution faster than other places, but ok maybe this can be the "walkthrough/spoilers" thread, but I also think eventually maybe a tech thread for it would be needed too. Then it's approaching having it's own forum, but then I always wondered why there wasn't a geek forum for PC hardware questions here, because the console crowd and PC hardware are diametrically opposed.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:48:05 PM

Nah, we can mash it all in here.  Except the 360 version, that's just silly.  The News thread is in a funny place, and the other one is The Orange Box thread and will have lots of HL2/Portal shit very shortly, also Steam complaints.  So, tips on gameplay or preventing a forest fire in your E-Machine, it's all game.

Mine has not crashed possibly because I did not bother to dick with the visual settings and am running at default, which seems to be 1024x768 and FSM-knows-what-else.  My rig is pretty standard: Intel C2D 2.18, ASUS mobo, GF7950, onboard sound, Win XP SP2 + latest patches.  Oddly, the sound is flawless in TF2 where it often crackles in everything else.  I have a real sound card in a box on the floor but so far have not been assed to install it.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:49:52 PM

This is the "PLEASE FIX MY PC" forum.  People should know that by now.  And no, I have no inclination to discuss this fact further. 

Off topic/forum shit tends to find its various threads. That's the way of things here.

This is making me almost want to preorder the Orange box on the offhand chance that it'll run well.  The whole Hellgate thing isn't going so well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:52:20 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 05:02:15 PM

This is a quick and dirty post talking about how I play. It's not the only way to play, but it seems to have success. I'm not going to go over the basics; you can figure those out on your own. I'm going to detail specific tips and tricks for each character; Add your own!

So you want to be a Heavy Weapons guy?

Great. Find yourself a Medic and stick with him. You're the front of the attack wedge and you're really only useful when you have a medic at your back or can camp near a heal+ammo item spawn. Watch for the medic to get his uber heal charged, then run in -- you're invincible for about 5 seconds. Target any turrets you see. Your weapon isn't very good at long ranges, so use corners to your advantage. Fear snipers.

So you want to be a Pyro?

Flame all your teammates -- You're the spy locater. Hide behind corners and run in flaming. This can be used to great effect at the gate starts, hide out of sight, and when the map start timer goes off, run into their spawn and do as much damage as you can.

So you want to be a Medic?

Good. Teams always need medics. Find a heavy or soldier and stick on him like glue. Your healgun has quite a range so you can stay somewhat behind them. On the start, if possible, have a fellow soldier fire rockets at his feet and heal up his damage. If they do this, you can get an uberheal almost at the start. While prepping, heal the soldiers, scouts, and heavy weapons, in that order. Heal soldiers at first, then at 10 seconds switch to scouts, and then at 5 seconds switch to the heavy you're going to heal. This gives the scouts a boost to try and get a quick cap.  Always heal at the prep time so you'll have an uberheal soon after start. This gives you an easy push.

Watch your and your healee's health, and pop the uberheal only when one of you is about to die. There's no need to walk into the maw with it on, you can often get a few critical seconds damage soak out of your heavy partner.

Your syringe gun is incredibly strong and accurate at medium to close range. Aim for the head for victory. You can camp the top of stairs very easily with them as they arc downwards.

So you want to be a soldier?

Aim for the feet.

Practice firing rockets than ducking back behind corners; this is your best strategy for taking down things like sentry guns and heavies. If you are fast enough, sentry guns won't even get a hit on you and your 4 rockets kills a level 3 sentry dead.

Abuse rocket jumping on 2fort.

So you want to be an engineer?

All turrets have a range of attack that's given by a red globe that you can see when you place it. Make sure that it goes to the far wall of whatever corridor/area you are
guarding -- you don't want people to be able to sit outside the globe and snipe your sentry.

Place turrets in oblique areas where they would fire on the back or sides of people coming across them, but not close enough for demos to lob grenades around a corner and be able to hit it. You want a few free kills before the wise up and figure out where your sentry gun is. Also, build them them so they are in range to hit anyone capping points -- this stops scouts from just diving in and instant winning. This doesn't stop spies, so watch out!

When placing turrets on high places, place them back from the edge a bit - only the top of the turret has to be visible to your target. This is also a benefit since level 2 turrets are slightly taller than level 1 turrets - this gives you the ability to upgrade turrets to level 2 before they target, fire, and give away their position.

Either build your dispenser next to your sentry (to heal/resupply you while you heal your sentry and your sentry kills) or blocking a crucial corridors like the one before the ramp room in 2fort.

So you want to be a spy?

Learn to kill sentries and the engineers that man them, they are your bread and butter. be an engineer. Heavies too. Be a medic. Stealth to traffic corridors, find an out of the way spot, and decloak, slowly advancing towards your base, acting cautious at every door. This allows people to overtake you, and then knife them in the back. Remember that you can assume a character while cloaked, and your last one is 'b' - this helps a lot. If you want to play teamwork, go ahead of your main force and sap sentry guns just before they enter.

Thread your way to unguarded (or only guarded by one person) capture points, kill the guardian and capture. This is often very easy, especially early game when people are focused on the front lines.

So you want to be a Scout?

If you have twitch reflexes, run circles around people and hit them with the bat. 4 hits kills a heavy, 3 a pyro, 2 everyone else but other scouts which die in one hit. Use double jump to get quickly to capture points. The shotgun isn't terrible.

You can also Decloak spies in a small radius around you, so, if you're on defense, sit near a corridor in sight of a sentry gun. The sentry will kill spies that run past you.

So you want to be a Demoman?

Abuse the hell out of grenade bouncing. If you liked the grenade launcher in any other game, you'll love this guy. You can also use your alternate weapon to seed popular places (like capture points) and blow them all up at once.

So you want to be a Sniper?

Remember that when scoped, everyone can see the dot. Practice aiming at a wall or object that isn't visible to enemies coming into line of sight with you. Find weird places to partially hide behind and hit them from across the map. You should aim for the head. A full charge headshot kills anyone in one hit.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 05:04:36 PM by bhodi »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 07:05:45 PM

Wow, I haven't even played yet, but that is the same advice you could give someone in old TFC.

Which means, I won't be so rusty when I pony up for this.  evil

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 04:14:29 AM

Tip for spies: You have a pistol for a reason. Just because it's not a one-hit kill, doesn't make it useless. I got into a spy vs spy duel last night and I won solely because I pulled out my Walther* while he stuck with his butterfly knife.

*Yes, I know it's not really a Walther PPK. Let me keep my 007 illusions going. :)

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 05:38:45 AM

My impressions from one night of TF2:

I need to get my FPS chops back. The game is quite fun and look forward to rockin it out with the f13 guys some more.

I never played TF , so its all new to me but really all I need to do is learn how to deal with sentries better, and learn the maps and I'll be a solid player. The spy class, though I probably wont play it much, is quite entertaining and it is a good feeling to spot and kill one, just on gut instinct.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 06:10:31 AM

Tip for spies: You have a pistol for a reason. Just because it's not a one-hit kill, doesn't make it useless. I got into a spy vs spy duel last night and I won solely because I pulled out my Walther* while he stuck with his butterfly knife.

*Yes, I know it's not really a Walther PPK. Let me keep my 007 illusions going. :)

First of all, that six shooter is the best PISTOL in the game. It's not just a reason, it's a way of life. 3 shots kills any turret, one headshot kills a soldier, spy, or scout.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 07:38:42 AM

So you want to be a Demoman?

Abuse the hell out of grenade bouncing. If you liked the grenade launcher in any other game, you'll love this guy. You can also use your alternate weapon to seed popular places (like capture points) and blow them all up at once.
Ooooh! I'm a lobbing and bouncing machine. Might have to pick this one up if it's got a good grenade class, that's always a blast (heh). Used to get compliments in BF2 for my leet arcs, I could lay in grenades across huge distances perfectly on target rather than newb spam or artillery march (though those are both good tactics, too). Precise when you need the kill, general carpeting can't be beat for suppression fire unless you're up against someone with great timing.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 07:40:27 AM

I really need to work on my demo skills, the grenades don't bounce and roll the way I want them to, but I want to be good at it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 07:57:33 AM

Ah so I just noticed that the demo can break his beer bottle, which made me laugh out loud.  Also, I was able to grenadejump from a run.  Sweet.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 08:22:11 AM

Ah so I just noticed that the demo can break his beer bottle, which made me laugh out loud.  Also, I was able to grenadejump from a run.  Sweet.

Ya dude. I cracked it on a scout that was landing from his double jump and it shattered.  Fucking awesome.

Also, I have discovered the joy of the baseball bat.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 08:59:48 AM

Now that I've upgraded my system I can play a Scout effectively, but I found it took more like 8 Baseball Bat hits to take out a Heavy.  I know this because he was standing still.

Still, running around and beating people up is fun.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 09:01:09 AM

but I found it took more like 8 Baseball Bat hits to take out a Heavy.

You're doing it wrong.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 09:04:33 AM

Typical.  Says I'm doing it wrong but doesn't say how.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 09:06:47 AM

Stop missing every other hit?

It really does only take 4 hits. I've done it a large number of times. Unless they changed it between 6pm yesterday and now.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 09:12:19 AM

Not sure how I could miss against a target that was standing still.

I'll try it again later but even a Sniper was taking 3 solid hits.

schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 09:18:14 AM

Sniper takes 1 fully charged shot to the noggin.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 09:54:29 AM

schild only hits people in the head, every time, always. Without fail.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 09:57:53 AM

So, I have decided that I totally suck at this game. The only class I can even be semi useful with is the Medic, which isnt horrible, as I ended up rallying my team and myself and a demo man took us from 0-2 to 3-2 win in CTF.

Also, their VoIP is great. Its the most clear VoIP I have ever heard in a game before.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 10:05:31 AM

Holy shit the pyro + medic combo is powerful.

Is it wrong that playing TF2 gives me a semi?
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 10:29:59 AM

So, I have decided that I totally suck at this game. The only class I can even be semi useful with is the Medic, which isnt horrible, as I ended up rallying my team and myself and a demo man took us from 0-2 to 3-2 win in CTF.

Also, their VoIP is great. Its the most clear VoIP I have ever heard in a game before.

Id love running pyro with a dedicated medic. :) Also I find that spraying some enemies with flame then fast swapping to the street sweeper pays dividends.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 11:01:01 AM

The pyro's shotgun is not to be fucked with.  After I sprayed the defense point with fire, killing off those roachlike spies, I then went off and decapitated a sniper with some shotgun in his ear.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 11:21:44 AM

Practically every class has a damn shotgun, I just realized. What makes the Pyros so much better?

schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 11:23:08 AM

It isn't. Seems to be the exact same as the scouts. The spy revolver, however, is different from everyone elses pistol.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 12:51:23 PM

What makes the Pyros so much better?

It is mostly just better than the flamethrower unless you are looking for spies, as far as I can tell.  I think I just caught him at the right place, now.

I have spent some time today trying to bat people in the head.  Apparently you have to plant it right across the eyes, which can be tough.

Incidentally I did some awesome maneuvers in 2fort today.  I de-snipered the other fort via scout, which was super.  Shortly afterward we pulled off a suicide-relay with me and another scout.  I'm getting better.

I think I mowed down a friendly turret, though, so....

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 01:52:37 PM

I'm still struggling with the game, even on the faster rig.  Once I get it home with the gaming mouse and keyboard (It was built at work and doesn't have uber peripheals), maybe that will help, or it could be I just suck at TF2.

I keep getting a strong sense of claustrophobia with this game, even on the more open maps.  A lot of choke points that are extremely tiny.

Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 02:00:47 PM

So you want to be a spy?

Learn to kill sentries and the engineers that man them, they are your bread and butter. be an engineer. Heavies too. Be a medic. Stealth to traffic corridors, find an out of the way spot, and decloak, slowly advancing towards your base, acting cautious at every door. This allows people to overtake you, and then knife them in the back. Remember that you can assume a character while cloaked, and your last one is 'b' - this helps a lot. If you want to play teamwork, go ahead of your main force and sap sentry guns just before they enter.

Thread your way to unguarded (or only guarded by one person) capture points, kill the guardian and capture. This is often very easy, especially early game when people are focused on the front lines.

I've been trying to figure the spy out first, it's the most fun to me.

I've found disguising as a medic is bad news. People wait for you to heal them, and when you just stare at them they start shooting. Engineers too. There's no reason an engineer should be wandering aimlessly in the base, so you arouse suspicion. I find I get a free pass most frequently as a soldier or sniper. Somtimes as a spy too, it lets you cloak around with impunity.

Apparently if you call for a medic while disguised, the other team sees it, and snappy medics will run over to heal you get stabbed in the face.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #32 on: September 20, 2007, 02:17:07 PM

That is true. Generally, engineers are a free pass to the backwards part of the base, as they are always going back for more metal and hanging around sentry guns. Remember that your speed is restricted based on your class, you move much slower if you're a heavy or soldier.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 02:25:18 PM

99% of the time I disguise myself as a spy or scout. Both sides expect you to be a dumb motherfucker as either class.

Sometimes, if it's frontlines, I'll be a heavy. Engineer if I'm taking a base.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #34 on: September 20, 2007, 05:31:27 PM

Heh.

Turns out I'm a pretty good sniper.  So when I need to play spy, I turn into a sniper and pretend to be staring off into my own base.  No one suspects.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Team Fortress 2  
Jump to: