Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:23:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Ziff Davis Super Bankrupt - File this under Not Surprising at all 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ziff Davis Super Bankrupt - File this under Not Surprising at all  (Read 4419 times)
schild
Administrator

on: August 16, 2007, 12:02:16 PM

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162007/business/ziff_skips_payment_business_keith_j__kelly.htm

August 16, 2007 -- Ziff Davis Media has finally hit the wall.

The embattled tech media company - which has teetered on the brink for over a year as it tried to sell itself in pieces to get out from under a mountain of debt - said it skipped an interest payment due yesterday and was entering into negotiations with debt holders to restructure about $390 million in debt.

"Operationally, we're in very good shape, but we still have debt that was put on the company when it was a very different scale," said newly installed CEO Josh Young, who earlier this month took over from Robert Callahan, who remains chairman.

"It's about correcting a capital-debt structure," said Young, who added that he could not speculate on what terms would be offered to debt holders.

Said one industry observer yesterday, "They are playing hardball with their lenders by withholding payments. It was inevitable. They were in a cash crunch and it was just a matter of time."

The company said it has retained Alvarez & Marsal to handle the restructuring. Alvarez & Marsal have done work in the past for companies such as Timex, DoubleClick and Levi Strauss.

In the most recent fiscal year ending Dec. 31, 2006, Ziff Davis Media had $181 million in revenue and cash flow of $27.1 million. The company also said it was going to delay filing its quarterly fiscal report for the period ending June 30.

As it has struggled to pare down its debt load, Ziff Davis Media managed to sell just one of its three divisions, the Enterprise Group, which was sold on July 31 to Insight Venture Partners for $150 million. The group includes Baseline, CIO Insight, eWeek and related Web sites.

The company, which once employed over 1,200 people, now has a staff of around 290 and is down to three magazines, including PC Magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly and Games for Windows. It also owns 15 Web sites and a conference business.

Over the years, Ziff Davis Media has closed more than 10 magazines, including Inter@ctive Week, Yahoo! Internet Life and ExtremeTech, as it repositioned itself to focus largely on digital content.

The founding Ziff family had bailed out in the mid-1990s, selling it in pieces to Lazard Freres and Japanese conglomerate Softbank, which at the time paid $2 billion for the company, when the heirs to Willaim Ziff decided they'd rather put their money into the Ziff Brothers Investments hedge fund than carry on as third-generation publishers.

In 2000, Willis Stein & Partners, a Chicago-based investment firm, purchased the company for $700 million, but the timing could not have been worse. keith.kelly@nypost.com

Here's to hoping Gawker is next.

Edit: Ziff is 1up/EGM btw.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 12:55:39 PM

Bring back ZDTV!

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 01:27:48 PM

I'm pretty sure that another firm would pick up the 1up network, should ZD go under.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:44:32 PM

We're about to dump PC Magazine after it's been the core PC magazine in our library's collection going back almost to year one. It's a pile of shit. Well, it's always been iffy, but at least it was focused on PCs. Now there are reviews of cars and cellphones and shit in there. Way to take your eye off the ball, douchebags.

They also changed format right after we did our comprehensive periodical review and they got the reprieve as we cut PC World for being redundant with PC Magazine. Sucktards.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 02:39:44 PM

Shit, maybe I should reactivate my CGW sub.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:25:21 PM

Yay. Personally, I've always thought EGM/1up was a pile of complete shit.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 05:37:44 PM

Hm. Actually, 1up was the only BIG site I could stand. Though I never read shit there. And the shared hosting they used at Dreamhost didn't really make things any better. You could tell there was no money there by the sluggishness of the servers. Such shit.

But the site, NOT SO BAD. Remember, it's contemporaries are IGN and Gamespot.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 05:39:26 PM

Shit, maybe I should reactivate my CGW sub.

Hee hee.

1up really wasn't bad, comparatively, but I'm not sure I'd call it good.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 04:54:36 AM

We're about to dump PC Magazine after it's been the core PC magazine in our library's collection going back almost to year one. It's a pile of shit. Well, it's always been iffy, but at least it was focused on PCs. Now there are reviews of cars and cellphones and shit in there. Way to take your eye off the ball, douchebags.

You know, I get this mag for free.  I have no idea why I get it but it goes straight to the recycle bin for the above reasons you mentioned.  I'm not even certain they test some of those products they review.

V
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 07:13:17 AM

We were at Barnes & Noble last night. Pretty much going with PC World again. Need something to fill the niche PC Magazine used to ten years ago, and there's not really anything, PC World coming closest. We already get Smart Computing. Remember these are for your average library patron, we also have a couple for computer-literate folks, like Maximum PC (my donation, along with PC Gamer) and Information Weekly, a few other high-end CIO-style mags donated by research labs.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 01:06:16 PM

I like the 1up podcasts. /shrug

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Kyper
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 08:31:31 PM

The company, which once employed over 1,200 people, now has a staff of around 290 and is down to three magazines, including PC Magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly and Games for Windows. It also owns 15 Web sites and a conference business.

All that debt would explain why the respectable "Computer Games" magazine sold its name to Microsoft and became "Games for Windows" almost a year ago.  It's still a good magazine despite looking like it's bought and paid for by MS.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 08:41:18 PM

Yeah I enjoy "Games for Windows" too, they pointed me to an incredible WWII game, hope the mag stays around, can't stand PC Gaymer.

See what I did there?  roflcakes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Ziff Davis Super Bankrupt - File this under Not Surprising at all  
Jump to: