Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Cryptic to go public, maybe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cryptic to go public, maybe  (Read 4099 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: August 08, 2007, 10:21:11 PM

1up reports that Cryptic gets a set of heavyweight industry advisers.

This is an "interesting... but why?" news item. Why would Cryptic want a board of advisers? And why these guys especially?

My gut tells me that this looks like Cryptic is thinking about (or has decided to) go public and that this board of advisor's is a proto-board of directors.

My next feeling is that Cryptic is looking to become an all-in-one MMO producer ala CCP and EVE. No having to deal with publishers and splitting income and all that - better to be in the driver's seat all the way. Although CoH/V will always belong to NCsoft and MUO will belong to Marvel / Microsoft, Cryptic have (I believe) two other MMOs in development. It's those new unannounced MMOs that would be the ideal candidates to roll out by themselves, with the IPO funding the necessary expenses of doing this.

Of course, I may also be brain damaged.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:14:57 PM

If they were really starting down the path of going public they would've brought in a CFO just for that purpose and put some of those people on the real Board of Directors instead of just the advisory one. It could be they are looking for financing to go fully independent so that they can self-publish, self-finance their future games.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:01:27 AM

My next feeling is that Cryptic is looking to become an all-in-one MMO producer ala CCP and EVE. No having to deal with publishers and splitting income and all that - better to be in the driver's seat all the way. Although CoH/V will always belong to NCsoft and MUO will belong to Marvel / Microsoft, Cryptic have (I believe) two other MMOs in development. It's those new unannounced MMOs that would be the ideal candidates to roll out by themselves, with the IPO funding the necessary expenses of doing this.

What's Microsoft's position in the MUO deal? Could they force Cryptic to make it Vista only?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 05:24:37 AM

Microsoft is the publisher and it is going to be Vista-only on the PC side of things (there's an Xbox 360 version as well). Since the game isn't going to be out for another couple of years at least, that's not as stupid as it sounds.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 07:41:21 AM

If they were really starting down the path of going public they would've brought in a CFO just for that purpose and put some of those people on the real Board of Directors instead of just the advisory one. It could be they are looking for financing to go fully independent so that they can self-publish, self-finance their future games.

They are looking for a CFO.

IPO experience is a plus.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 01:05:31 PM

They aren't looking to go public, at least not for the near term.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Cryptic to go public, maybe  
Jump to: