Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:14:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoH/V to have a Black Mass 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CoH/V to have a Black Mass  (Read 4393 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: July 30, 2007, 10:16:31 PM

Read about it here and put it in your diaries. It's a player event, btw.

A bit of history - CoH/V got a good write-up from Gay.com recently about a Pride Prom organised by players. Apparently a dev or two showed up and let the Prom access the normally closed ski chalet area.

Various groups got their panties in a bunch. After a few half-assed "We need a Hetero Prom!" threads, someone organised a Christian event.

In response, some Satanists came forward and announced they will be holding a Black Mass. NCsoft is providing the same level of support to the Black Mass they do to other properly organised events - they've put up a HTML poster and have contained the screaming about people being allowed to hold such events.

I'm amused at the Satanists for shitstirring, but then that's probably their main purpose. smiley

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:22:20 PM

I'm amused at the Satanists for shitstirring, but then that's probably their main purpose. smiley

Possibly.

A Black Mass led by me, Hells Messiah, Mastermind, and assisted by my loyal pets, Mathew, Mark, Luke, John Peter, Judas and Mary Magdeline.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 10:29:17 PM

They talk about the 'Church of Satan' so i'm assuming these are Le Veyan Satanists, but everything else they say just screams poser/wannabe.

I guess it's nice that the company has actually gone so far as to take them seriously.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 02:01:47 AM

They are definitely not LaVey Satanists.

"A sacrifice of a sentiant life form, for the All Father of Hate demands blood at his alter whenever we gather in his name.."
That's not part of modern Satanism.

"All Hail our Dark Lord Satan!"
LaVey Satanists believe in Satan as a symbol, not an actual Dark Lord who is essentially the same as God, but evil.

"Satan doesnt want converts. He doesnt care if you believe or not, only that you leave a little more informed, and possibly, maybe your mind is a little more free than when you showed up."
Again, Satan is a symbol, not an entity.

LaVey's take on Satanism is centered on the self rather than an external entity.  It is focused on "taking the path less traveled" and not being too timid to realize one's goals.

Yes, I researched this and have read the Satanic Bible along with a number of LaVey's other works.

No, I don't subscribe to it, nor am I a fan of LaVey's.  He was essentially a less dangerous, slightly less corrosive, L. Ron Hubbard.  He had the forethought to form a religion that wouldn't condemn you for forming a religion specifically to make money, so he wasn't a hypocrite, but he was still a bit of a swindler and enabler.

That said, more power to the players involved in this and I hope their event goes well.  Kudos to NCSoft for having the balls to support freedom of expression.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 10:08:02 AM

After reading the thread, it's a mish-mash of Satanists and being organized by a follower of LaVey.
"All Hail our Dark Lord Satan!"
LaVey Satanists believe in Satan as a symbol, not an actual Dark Lord who is essentially the same as God, but evil.
Right, but something like a Black Mass is a show, not meant to explain the religion.

"Me am play gods"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 10:48:57 AM

I'll go for a laugh if I remember it.  Otherwise, Satanism, Anton LaVey or whoever, is just another load of smelly old bollocks to me.  Having said that, I found it interesting when I was a very young teenager, maybe 13 or 14.  Read the books, got a t-shirt.  It didn't last long in my fickle mind, though. I was a crap gothy girl, too.

Hopefully, I haven't offended too many people here.  Sorry if I did! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 09:01:01 AM

I'll go for a laugh if I remember it.  Otherwise, Satanism, Anton LaVey or whoever, is just another load of smelly old bollocks to me.  Having said that, I found it interesting when I was a very young teenager, maybe 13 or 14.  Read the books, got a t-shirt.  It didn't last long in my fickle mind, though. I was a crap gothy girl, too.

Hopefully, I haven't offended too many people here.  Sorry if I did! 

I can train you as a guerrilla fighter.

GIVE YOURSELF TO THE WIND. LET THE AK47 GUIDE YOU, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoH/V to have a Black Mass  
Jump to: