Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 108 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  (Read 1138468 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3255 on: February 12, 2017, 11:15:26 PM

The weather around here has been horrid, but I found the hole in the world.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:19:42 PM by Furiously »

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3256 on: February 26, 2017, 08:28:16 AM

A couple of photos I took at a Christmas festival at Kew Gardens.

2016-11 Christmas at Kew 006 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

2016-11 Christmas at Kew 011 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

2016-11 Christmas at Kew 012 by Aled Moses, on Flickr
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3257 on: February 27, 2017, 12:04:12 PM

That last one's genius.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3258 on: February 27, 2017, 12:31:44 PM

Yeah, it's lovely. I'd probably have crushed the blacks a bit as your sky is mostly noise anyway but that's a great reflection shot.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3259 on: March 01, 2017, 11:52:14 AM

I love the bokeh on the strung lights!

I had to stop drinking so I suddenly found myself playing less computer and having a ton of free time to take photos. I also started a blog. https://ultralightphotographer.com/

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3260 on: March 01, 2017, 03:11:47 PM

Dang, I was hoping you were taking those from an actual ultralight.

- Viin
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3261 on: March 06, 2017, 08:50:00 PM

I stitched my first panoramic photo today.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3262 on: March 06, 2017, 11:21:15 PM

That's really nice. How did you deal with the nodal point with such a short distance to the foreground? Do you have a panoramic tripod head?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3263 on: March 07, 2017, 11:07:39 AM

That's really nice. How did you deal with the nodal point with such a short distance to the foreground? Do you have a panoramic tripod head?

They are actually taken from different locations. I was not happy with any of the shots and I clicked 4 photos and Lightroom stitched them together, there is a bit of a boundry warp happening right above the 61 on the first one. Here it is unwarped. You can see where the fence gets funky from the lack of info and Lightroom just deals with it. I like this version more, but most people like their photos square. So I guess it's not really a photo but a computer simulation of what it would look like. Either way I was really impressed with Lightroom's ability to stitch photos together.

Now that I know how powerful Lightroom is for stitching I can totally see how I would have done it differently. And taken like 20 shots to get the crap out of the waterline. Would have taken a vertical shot every 10 feet along it's side. Then again I like how this makes the bow look almost as huge as it is.

We had toured the USS Missouri two years ago and I felt like they had a lot more compartments open for this tour.  Certainly a lot more visitors to the Missouri. I'm not quite sure how long they will be able to keep the Iowa afloat given how few visitors they had. I mean really, if you can go to Disneyland or tour the Iowa what are most families going to pick? We just got into LA in the afternoon and spending $800 for park tickets or $100 to tour another battleship seemed like a no-brainer given the line lengths at Disneyland.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:23:05 AM by Furiously »

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3264 on: March 08, 2017, 01:40:16 PM

Took my Kiev 60 off to the wrong side of the railway tracks to shoot some urban stuff that isn't baroque stonework for a change.

Kosice_March012.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Kosice_March023.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Kosice_March027.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Then, because my dog was with me, we stopped off in the park to play with a tennis ball as a reward for being patient.

Kosice_March005.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3265 on: March 10, 2017, 01:58:23 PM

Decided to teach myself something about Photoshop and fucking about with portraits. I was going to do a girl disappearing with ink-swirls into thin air but the source photos I had in mind suggested a more cyberpunk approach. As a result it was a whole lot more involved than I was planning on and I think I still fucked it up a bit.

Digital Chloë by Iain Compton, on Flickr

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3266 on: March 10, 2017, 02:07:39 PM

There's no focal point to the image and you've spread the dissonance around too much.  I'd leave the face completely untouched, have the patterns just barely touching the edges of her skin, fading into being there.  The edges of her body are too visible and delineated, it makes her stand out from the background too much.  Maybe have the lower part of her body and just starting with her hands a bit fading into the background pattern noise more, while her head and shoulders are emerging from the noise, hence the patterns just starting to fade into existence around her face.  Background needs something, even a vague impression of structure, otherwise she just seems to be floating in space and with how defined her edges still are, it's not working.  I like the color bleeds with the reds, that works well, especially in a cyberpunkish setting.

NOTE : all this is how it's working for me, YMMV.  I don't necessarily have the skills to do something like this (I've not working on Photoshop in ages other than editing image size and color corrections), but I'd like to think I can describe what's "bothering" me about an image.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3267 on: March 11, 2017, 01:50:30 AM

The background and squares rock. The effect works, but something seems off with the leg appearing half gone, maybe funk around with the opacity on her layer so it seems more transportery/ethereal.  Or do the disappearingness as a mask layer so it's easy to play with? Might also try duplicating her layer and bluring it with a glowy effect with low opacity.  Seems like you nailed it in the skirt area but the hair somehow doesn't work. It might just end up being the orange/blue contrast that's doing it. I think you are close.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3268 on: March 27, 2017, 12:20:04 AM

Back to regular photos for now.

IMG_5385.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5381.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5380.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5360.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3269 on: April 12, 2017, 12:26:48 AM

Fun times with a Moskva 6x9.

MoskvaBW002.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

MoskvaBW001.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva008.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva013.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #3270 on: April 15, 2017, 07:48:45 PM

in that last pic, why do half the units in that building have the same polka dot curtains?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3271 on: April 16, 2017, 12:35:53 AM

I've no idea. Honestly hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out. It's very low income housing though so maybe there's somewhere close by where that pattern happens to be the cheapest?

Here's some ghetto photography. Caught on a sunny day without a tripod or filters, used my hat as a camera rest for a long exposure.

IMG_5471.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:37:50 AM by IainC »

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3272 on: April 16, 2017, 01:42:16 PM

Hah, nice! The best equipment is always what you have with you.

I don't share many of my martial arts photos but I did a couple of B&Ws, which is a bit of a change for me.

2016-08 August Grading 018-2 by IC Shorinji Kempo, on Flickr

2016-08 August Grading 021-2 by IC Shorinji Kempo, on Flickr
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3273 on: April 16, 2017, 03:55:33 PM

First of those two martial arts shots is fantastic. I like the other one too, but that first one has a ton of emotion and frozen movement to it.

I have a lot of shots like that water-in-the-woods shot--I struggle to find a way to make them more interesting to me--there's always something good to them, but the ones that have a bit more are hard to figure out.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #3274 on: April 16, 2017, 08:09:49 PM

"ghetto" photography? I was looking for slum buildings! LOL

Very nice improvisational work though! I'm way too lazy about dragging my tripod around even when I have my real camera so I often end up using fence posts or rocks or whatever I can find. 

One idea I had comparing the cropped to the original though is that I wish you'd aimed slightly to the right to put the waterfall flowing into the picture from the left side and include the knobbly tree with the moss around it on the right. Might have given it a little more interesting flow - or maybe distracted from the focus of your intent, I don't know.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3275 on: April 17, 2017, 10:29:19 AM

The shot of the girl landing the punch on the guy is amazing, Mosesandstick.  Was it at all staged?  Did you have to take dozens of pictures to get the timing on the blow landing just right?

This one is kinda waving goodbye to winter, but the sight made going out in 12 below and at six in the morning (and wading through a river with a few feet of ice on the banks and slush on the riverbed beneath the water to get there) worthwhile:

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3276 on: April 17, 2017, 11:55:55 AM

Thanks for the comments folks. It's not staged but it is a grading and they were probably doing set techniques at this point. That makes it easier to go hard, because you can both pull any punches and you know where and when you're going to be hit. Timing wise part of it is definitely volume and luck, especially as I can't predict what people will do. However my experience doing the martial art does help give a feel for timing.

Nice spot - red deer? How do you survive wading through water that cold?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3277 on: April 17, 2017, 02:39:54 PM

Thanks for the comments folks. It's not staged but it is a grading and they were probably doing set techniques at this point. That makes it easier to go hard, because you can both pull any punches and you know where and when you're going to be hit. Timing wise part of it is definitely volume and luck, especially as I can't predict what people will do. However my experience doing the martial art does help give a feel for timing.

Nice spot - red deer? How do you survive wading through water that cold?

Yes, red deer on the route across the pass from Braemar to Blair Atholl. The river was only in liquid form for about thirty feet, and only waist deep at the worst, so it was just a matter of walk out on the ice, jump in, push on and dry fast at the far end.  This is a picture from the bank, although barely on the level of holiday snap: https://i.imgur.com/fBGp3E6.jpg

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3278 on: April 18, 2017, 01:51:14 AM

I love the martial arts stuff. Works so well in black and white. I dusted off my digital camera for a trip with Dan and the dogs of a friend out to the Tatras. We weren't going far and I wanted some shots of the dogs playing which meant autofocus (all of my film cameras are manual focus only).

Dan

IMG_5505.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5636.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Sasko

IMG_5666.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And Linda

IMG_5625.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3279 on: April 18, 2017, 09:57:13 AM

I need to get out and take a lot of shots now that spring is here.

I'm a bit bored with the wild/natural areas near me, though. I feel like all I'm going to do most of the time is do shots I've done before in a slightly better technical sense or with more interesting weather/environmental conditions. I need to find some new places.

Toying with taking a full day and shooting along one roadway for about 15-20 miles out to my west--just shots of businesses, old abandoned homes, forest, etc.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3280 on: April 18, 2017, 12:44:30 PM

That sort of thinking caused my sister move to Portland.  She hasn't done much with photography since as she struggles to pay bills now.  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3281 on: April 19, 2017, 04:38:47 AM

That sort of thinking caused my sister move to Portland.  She hasn't done much with photography since as she struggles to pay bills now.  why so serious?
I'm as poor as shit right now and I'm taking more photos than ever. On film too.

Walk-around stuff with a 6x9 Moskva, Fomapan 100.

Moskva007.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva010-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva006-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva003-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva013.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3282 on: April 27, 2017, 02:23:58 AM

Went and photographed trains last weekend.

IMG_5916.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5963.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5876.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Medium Format (Moskva)

Rusnoparada014.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Medium Format (Moskva) Not Trains

Rusnoparada011.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Rusnoparada007-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3283 on: May 03, 2017, 07:07:09 AM

Wow Ian I really like all the photos, keep them coming!

I put together a bit of a collection of underwater shots from last year. I think I've put a few of them up here already but here's a small dump of life in cold waters:

http://imgur.com/a/HcotA

[/quote]

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #3284 on: May 03, 2017, 10:11:42 AM

Ian and Nowhere: Not only are you great photographers, you also live exciting lives.  [thumbs_up.jpg]

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3285 on: May 03, 2017, 09:00:29 PM

I was shocked to find nikonos film cameras are like $100 bucks on ebay. I thought about getting one then realized I would never use it.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3286 on: May 04, 2017, 03:00:52 AM

I was shocked to find nikonos film cameras are like $100 bucks on ebay. I thought about getting one then realized I would never use it.

Film cameras, even pro level bodies are hilariously cheap. Most of my stuff cost me $25 or less. Lenses are not so cheap because a lot of them are still usable on digital bodies so they hold their value really well. Still, you can get into film photography with a camera and all the stuff you'll need for black & white developing for less than $100. $200 if you pick a nice camera. The only other thing you'll want on top of that is a scanner for negatives, mine is a €200 Epson Perfection V600 which handles 35mm and medium format negatives including slide film.

Colour developing is a pain in the ass because you need to have careful temperature control. Some people have rigged up systems using sous vide devices, but honestly I'll pay the €2.95 my local camera store charges for overnight developing not to have to fuck with that. The process and equipment is the same as for B&W, you just use different chemicals.

Ian and Nowhere: Not only are you great photographers, you also live exciting lives.  [thumbs_up.jpg]
I wish it was as exciting as it seems. Most of these photos were taken either on the street where I live, from the area around my office, or within a 5 minute walk of my apartment. I am a lazy photog these days.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3287 on: May 04, 2017, 06:53:42 PM

I went to the zoo!

and for Lant here is a really noise-filled red panda.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3288 on: May 05, 2017, 04:57:13 PM

Nice work! I love the gorilla's pensive pose.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3289 on: May 05, 2017, 07:35:31 PM

Really nice zoo shots. What's the lens?
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 108 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  
Jump to: