Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 09:08:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: 5 years and still going 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5 years and still going  (Read 185593 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #490 on: August 21, 2007, 07:10:50 AM

My biggest problem with Katherine Janeway's role is that 80 % of the time, she didn't act like a captain of a starship, but rather more like a WalMart regional manager. Add to that Neelix need for acceptance, the Doctor figuring out how to be human. 7 of 9 figuring out how to be human. Belana Torres figuring out how to not be bitchy all the time, Harry Kim trying to get Laid, all toped off with Chikote (sp) entoning new age pseudo native american bullshit.

The more I think about it, the more Voyager seemed more about socialization of disfunctional people rather than any real adventures in space.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 07:26:55 AM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: August 21, 2007, 07:17:56 AM

OH AND VOYAGER, FUCK VOYAGER.  FUCK KIM.  FUCK PARIS.  FUCK THAT AUDREY HEPBURN IMITATING BITCH.
What did Audrey do?

You mean Katharine:

Yes.  That is, in fact, what I meant.

Bitch.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #492 on: August 21, 2007, 07:59:16 AM

Look, original Star Trek beats the shit out of DS9, no doubt.  Kirk just cruised around the galaxy with his pals Spock and Bones, bitchslapping uppity aliens, banging sluts, and murdering gods.  No shit, if you were a weird alien being or a supercomputer and you had a tribe of primitive people worshipping you, and Kirk showed up, it was time to look the fuck out because he was about to prove some point about the value of independence by ruining your shit.

And DS9 was spotty anyway.  But it's good moments were pretty good, and it was fuckloads better than TNG, which with only rare exception was dry, boring, neutered, politically correct drek.

I couldnt make it through episodes of DS9. TNG wasn't great, but you could at least watch an episode and not go...ummm....I dont know wtf is going on. Riker at least tried to get rowdy once in a while.

And Dax just didn't do it for me. She is good looking, but not sexy IMO.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #493 on: August 21, 2007, 08:03:41 AM

OH AND VOYAGER, FUCK VOYAGER.  FUCK KIM.  FUCK PARIS.  FUCK THAT AUDREY HEPBURN IMITATING BITCH.
What did Audrey do?

You mean Katharine:

Yes.  That is, in fact, what I meant.

Bitch.

I looked her up.  She played Mrs. Columbo.  There was a whole TV series about Columbo's invisible wife.   shocked

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: August 21, 2007, 09:25:37 AM

Loved TNG, and I doubt I'll ever get as enthralled with a show as I was this one.  Didn't care for DS9.  Not because it was bad, but because I just couldn't get into it.  Voyager wasn't very good.  Enterprise was decent first couple of seasons, and I quit upon seeing nazi aliens.  Supposedly season 4 was better, but I  just couldn't make myself watch except for the finale (It's ST, I'm oath-bound to do so).

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #495 on: August 21, 2007, 10:11:07 AM

DS9 was very good, especially once they got into the Dominion War and shit. TNG was just pablam. Way too snuggly huggly hippie shit and way too much dilithium crystal-fiddling to solve the inane science-techy problem of the week. Voyager had a great excuse to tank all the narrative bullshit that TNG forced upon the series, like the goddamned Prime Directive, and instead pussed out at every opportunity, giving us even more of the crystal-fiddling shit, only with an annoying cast. They all COULD have been interesting characters (except maybe Neelix) but they were all written into cardboard cutouts. The enemies were shit, and adding the Borg just showed what shit the villains were.

As a result, I gave up on the ST franchise, especially after seeing that dreadful Nemesis movie. Picard's Romulan clone? WHAT? ARE YOU EVEN TRYING NOW?

I didn't watch Enterprise because of Nemesis.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: August 21, 2007, 12:36:11 PM

Let's face it :  When you make Wrath of Khan, you may as well stop with the movies.  Nothing else will come close.

That said, I thought that ALL the Next Generation movies were utter, utter, utter shite.  Especially First Contact.  People should be KILLED for that.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: August 21, 2007, 01:09:06 PM

Let's face it :  When you make Wrath of Khan, you may as well stop with the movies.  Nothing else will come close.

That said, I thought that ALL the Next Generation movies were utter, utter, utter shite.  Especially First Contact.  People should be KILLED for that.

"There be whales here!"

I must say I enjoyed The Voyage Home, a lighter watch. Khan definetely wins though.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #498 on: August 21, 2007, 02:59:08 PM

Khan is great, but I still like Undiscovered Country more than Voyage Home.  VH hasn't held-up over the years nearly as well for me.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: August 21, 2007, 03:14:36 PM

Khan is great, but I still like Undiscovered Country more than Voyage Home.  VH hasn't held-up over the years nearly as well for me.

Yeah I almost forgot that one, definetely a good flick. I'd rate em about the same. I was probably around the right age to really enjoy VH, so I still remember it fondly.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: August 21, 2007, 04:21:04 PM

Agree on Kahn. Were talking about it at work today actually, in the context of character deaths (was asking the trekkie about Trip's death). Every other ST movie was nowhere near it, though I didn't have the problem with First Contact. It wasn't Star Trek but it was a fun movie. I'll generally lean towards "enjoyable" for a movie over authenticity/lore. Like, if Enterprise wasn't actually good programming at all, I might have been able to forgive much that was wrong with it.

Undiscovered Country was ok, but not the best way to end TOS (and please don't get me started on the killing of Kirk in the next one).
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #501 on: August 21, 2007, 11:06:34 PM

That is a very, very good thing. I don't think you really wanted to subject yourself to such garbage.

Sure I did. "Buffy the Vampire Layer" was hilarious, in a so bad it's good way.

Drogo
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: August 22, 2007, 12:28:50 AM

In my opinion as far as Star Trek movies 2, 4 and 6 were all good, with 2 being the best. I never watched past 6 and always wondered if 8 and 10 were any good.

I loved the original series for its comedy and I really liked TNG. I never got into DS9, Voyager or Enterprise, although I watched a few episodes of each. They just didn't seem to draw me in.

I thought I was done with Sci-Fi until BSG came around and I loved the first two seasons of that. The last season left me feeling a little flat, but they originally did a great job of rehashing that old series.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: August 22, 2007, 03:32:14 AM

There were three or four episodes of TNG which were absolutely fantastic - namely any one where they started messing around with reality ("Ship In A Bottle" being about the only one I can remember the name of, the other one with Dr Crusher in a collapsing reality/warp bubble thing). 

They were even better when viewed under the influence of recreational pharmaceuticals of the hallucinogenic type.

DS9 had to introduce a war because it worked well for Babylon 5.  Voyager was outclassed by Red Dwarf (and not that retarded US brutalization of the show).  The fact that Enterprise got 5 seasons and Firefly got 1 just demonstrates that there is a fucking god and he fucking hates us.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: August 22, 2007, 06:34:42 AM

I watched two (I think) episodes of Enterprise and only a handful of Voyager.  I watched every Red Dwarf episode I could.

Obviously, Red Dwarf was the better Sci-Fi show by far which is interesting considering it's budget must have been 1/100th of either of the Star Trek shows.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: August 22, 2007, 06:58:14 AM

I'm not entirely sure you could actually call Red Dwarf a sci-fi show.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: August 22, 2007, 07:23:12 AM

In that case I would classify the Treks/B5 as drama.  The setting makes the genre in the case of Sci-Fi/fantasy not the content, this was accepted in fiction writing long ago.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: August 22, 2007, 07:24:56 AM

Robots, holograms, aliens, spaceships, sentient AI, time-travel, alternate realities, a talking toaster, curry and zero-g football.

Yeah, not sci-fi at all.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #508 on: August 22, 2007, 07:26:56 AM

I think the point is that in Red Dwarf, sci-fi was merely a vehicle for a comedy, but not really the point itself. It could have just as well been set in WW1, Elizabethan England or any other scenario, much like Black Adder.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: August 22, 2007, 07:33:38 AM

Indeed.  It's straight comedy, or possibly the horribly misused brother, the Sit-Com.

Sure, it's on a spaceship, but so fucking what ?

Incidentally, this post brought to you by the guy that doesn't count Firefly as Sci-Fi either.

No point in arguing with me.  You'll just get exasperated.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: August 22, 2007, 07:35:19 AM

I think the point is that in Red Dwarf, sci-fi was merely a vehicle for a comedy, but not really the point itself. It could have just as well been set in WW1, Elizabethan England or any other scenario, much like Black Adder.

Much like Star Trek (TOS or TNG) could have been set on a 17th century sailing vessel on a voyage of discovery in the South Pacific?  Sci-fi is always just the vehicle for the story, it's a method of exploring ideas in an idealized framework where you can limit real-world complexities.  Yeah, blasters and light-sabers and X-Wings are cool but the same story can be told with pearl handled 44's, cavalry sabers and horse chases.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: August 22, 2007, 07:37:10 AM

Incidentally, this post brought to you by the guy that doesn't count Firefly as Sci-Fi either.

No point in arguing with me.  You'll just get exasperated.

No, I understand where you are coming from, I just think you are completely wrong.  :-D

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: August 22, 2007, 07:37:42 AM

It's strange.  You're kinda making my point.

Original Star Trek ?  Same as Firefly :  Not so much about the Sci-Fi.

Star Trek Next Gen ?  Totally about the SCi-Fi.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: August 22, 2007, 07:38:12 AM

No, I understand where you are coming from, I just think you are completely wrong.  :-D

S'ok.  I hear that a lot.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: August 22, 2007, 07:58:14 AM

It's strange.  You're kinda making my point.

Original Star Trek ?  Same as Firefly :  Not so much about the Sci-Fi.

Star Trek Next Gen ?  Totally about the SCi-Fi.

Because we aren't disagreeing in principle just in scope.  I don't believe TNG had any real emphasis on Sci-Fi as a premise, other than as a Deus Ex Machina or outside of a few specific episodes than any other series or movie.  Alien is a horror movie but it's setting was Sci-Fi.  Anything with Sci-Fi trappings is Sci-Fi regardless of how much focus is on the Fi instead of the Sci.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: August 22, 2007, 08:04:48 AM

In which case you're lumping Sandra Bullock in The 'Net as Sci-Fi.

Omg.  What have you done ?

TNG Totally had emphasis on the Sci-FI.  If you took out the ship, the phasers, the holodeck, the fucking reverse polarity, all that shit;  all you'd be left with was Patrick Stewart.  You simply can't do very many TNG episodes on, as you say, the deck of the Redoubt off France during the Napoleonic wars.  You NEED the phasers and the transporters and Data and Marina Sirtis playing with herself.

On Firefly, not so much.  Hell, the Firefly was just a way to move about between scenes.  Many Episodes of TNG were fucking played out IN THE HOLODECK.

Hmm.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: August 22, 2007, 09:02:30 AM

Here again I'm with Ironwood. "Sci-fi" to me isn't just about the setting and props. You could replace the Enterprise, Phasers and Transporters with a clipper ship, musket and magic. You could do the same with all of the Star Wars stuff. Firefly was an old western, replacing a horse/carriage with a spaceship (the movie did get more sci-fi-ish though). And I loved all of these things, and Fifth Element, and Stargate (the movie), and so on. I just feel they used sci-fi trappings to wrap a conventional story around, repackaging it because that was easier to sell.

I don't have a clear definition for sci-fi in movies, but I do feel it is much easier to go into true sci-fi realms in books. Probably about the demographics. It's cheaper to write a book than make a movie too.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: August 22, 2007, 11:19:28 AM

Many Episodes of TNG were fucking played out IN THE HOLODECK.

Dream sequence.  Magic.  Drug sequence.  Shared hallucination.  Flashback/flashforward.  There are numerous ways in which holodeck-esque scenes could be carried out sans sci-fi.  Modern sci-fi is rarely more than fiction which uses the setting as a prop.  Classic sci-fi normally used it to help mask questions about humanity, such as using androids to questoin the meaning or future of humanity.  Aliens can mask questions of racism, culture, etc.  You don't need sci-fi as vehicles for any of this though, and they're all questions which have been explored in plenty of depth long before this was even a genre.  For example, you have a holodeck episode where the people are trapped there, but aren't aware that everything is fake?  Rework of Plato's cave. 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: August 22, 2007, 12:40:05 PM

I see where Ironwood and co are coming from and I agree about Firefly - great series but really just a Western in space.  However, I definitely disagree about Red Dwarf.  Yes it's straight (or situational) comedy but the premise is pure sci-fi - a series about the last human alive.  The question they ask, however, is "What if the last human alive was a curry eating, lager drinking, good for nothing waster?"  Red Dwarf might not have been deep and was played mostly for laughs but they did explore alternate/parallel universes, how would people react if they were stripped of one particular emotion, time travel etc. 

You can't tell me that "Terry and June" or "Only Fools and Horses" could have explored similar themes without becoming sci-fi.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: August 22, 2007, 01:32:27 PM

I didn't want to get into the High-Concept Sci-Fi vs. Low stuff as I think it is moot to this discussion because either case implies Sci-Fi as setting.

But yes, I agree that Red Dwarf, even though it was a situation comedy, filmed in front of a live audience, and on a low budget it was still High Concept Sci-Fi.

I never saw Firefly but even if it's 'just a western in space' it is still Sci-Fi.  Because, you know, it's in space.  Where a western would, you know, have to be in the Old West...

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #520 on: August 22, 2007, 02:15:30 PM

The problem here is that Sci-fi is (or has become) a setting rather than a genre these days. Yet, everyone wants to take anything happening in a sci-fi setting, and claim that it should all be lumbed together as a genre.

I just differentiate the two and ignore everyone else. Settings are things like sci-fi, western, naval, Victorian. Genres are the traditional Drama, Comedy, Horror, etc. Most movies fit in to one of each, which is fine.

To be fair, I am aware that sci-fi used to refer to something different. Essentialy, I though it refered to stories in which the speculative technology and social situations were the main focus of the story. 2001 is traditional sci-fi. Alien is a Horror movie in a sci-fi setting. Very little stuff made these days fits what used to be the "sci-fi genre". I would say Children of Men is one of the few recent examples that does fit it, and theres not a single ray gun or spaceship to be seen.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: August 22, 2007, 02:18:22 PM

Bicentennial Man would be another good example that I think fits your argument.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: August 22, 2007, 02:27:12 PM

It doesn't count, since it's lifted word for word from an Asimov Sci-Fi story.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #523 on: August 22, 2007, 02:29:14 PM

Well, it fits better than the I Robot movie, which is kind of ironic.   tongue

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: August 22, 2007, 02:38:19 PM

I didn't know it was stolen from Asimov. Sorry.

The point is still valid though, I think :)

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: 5 years and still going  
Jump to: