Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:31:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: My First 2 Hour Impression of WoW 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My First 2 Hour Impression of WoW  (Read 76963 times)
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: September 14, 2004, 09:19:00 AM

Quote from: Fargull
Quote from: HaemishM
How can anyone play an MMOG with a zone named BOOTY BAY and still have a straight face when they talk about it?

It's Blizzard, if your not chuckling while you play, then something is missing from your genetic material.

No kidding, for cripes sake they have a 'Six Demon Bag' drop item in game.  They have a hell of a sense of humor there.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: September 14, 2004, 01:26:47 PM

I was told they have an actual "carrot on a stick" for an item as well.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #212 on: September 14, 2004, 01:58:35 PM

Quote from: ahoythematey
I was told they have an actual "carrot on a stick" for an item as well.

They do, it makes your mount run faster.

One item I like are the Goblin Jumper Cables, these are an item you can use to resurect a friend, but as with all Goblin items, there is a 5% chance it will backfire, and in this case, kill the person who is trying to use them.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: September 14, 2004, 07:06:34 PM

Quote from: Morphiend
One item I like are the Goblin Jumper Cables, these are an item you can use to resurect a friend, but as with all Goblin items, there is a 5% chance it will backfire, and in this case, kill the person who is trying to use them.

See that? That is how you sell me a game. I will play, just for the opportunity to use that item. After that, it's all downhill, unless of course something else funny and interesting exposes itself.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #214 on: September 14, 2004, 08:48:25 PM

Quote from: Liquidator
Quote from: MrHat
Quote from: Merusk

Yes, some folks still think it's a standalone or 'free' game, and a very large number expect it to be released in November.  How sad for them.

I can't help but feel it will be released soon.

By soon I don't mean Nov. cuz that seems TOO soon, but earlier than we typically think.

VU really wants this game out I think.

Well it's either November or December.  They've said that they're releasing this year and I don't have any reason to doubt that they will.  As far as I know, Sony is planning on releasing EQ2 for christmas and I'm sure that they want to beat them to the punch.  I don't think the game is in very bad shape - if the crash bugs were gone I think it is plenty read to be released to the public.

Vivendi Universal had their first half 2004 earnings presentation today. They continue to say they are aiming for a November release in the US for WoW (from their slides):

World of WarCraft: aiming for November 2004 launch in the U.S., December 2004 in Korea, early 2005 in Europe and later in 2005 in Greater China and Taiwan.

A small bit of WoW news that can be gleaned from the above statement is that where before they were saying there was going to be a simultaneous release in the US and Korea, the Korean release has been delayed a month after the US. One possible explanation is that they will be creating new content all the way up until the game goes live which means there'll be a translation/localization delay for the Korea version.

VU Games continues to be the only VU division to lose money and they definitely stressed the importance of WoW in particular and Blizzard in general during the conference call for achieving profitability. One thing I did find interesting is that there was no mention at all of Half-Life 2 in the slides or from what I heard of the conference call.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: September 14, 2004, 10:26:18 PM

Trippy - thanks for that post.  Either by way of analyst Q&A or the presentation - any idea of the forecasted revenue compared to the current revenue of the division?

e.g. how significant could this game be for the earnings of the Vivendi?

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: September 14, 2004, 10:47:15 PM

No, they don't have anything like that in their presentation.

Bruce
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #217 on: September 14, 2004, 11:10:48 PM

Quote from: jpark
Trippy - thanks for that post.  Either by way of analyst Q&A or the presentation - any idea of the forecasted revenue compared to the current revenue of the division?

e.g. how significant could this game be for the earnings of the Vivendi?

They offered no guidance for VU Games for 2005 other than to say they expected that division to "rebound" in large part due to the release of WoW.

Looking at the numbers, VU Games had revenues of 148 million Euros and an operating income loss of 156 million Euros for the first half of 2004 of which about 90 million Euros were one time charges (project write-offs, restructuring costs, etc.). So assuming the second half does about the same as the first half that would be about an operating income loss of 132 million Euros for the year if you leave out the one time charges. If you estimate a super conservative 1,200,000 subscription months for WoW next year, that would translate into roughly 12.5 million Euros in revenues (assuming a $12.95 US monthly subscription fee).

Edit: DURR, misplaced a decimal point on revenue calculation.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: September 15, 2004, 06:53:39 AM

Trippy - Interesting.  I have no idea what the profit margins are like in gaming software - MMORPGS in particular.  Any idea?

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: My First 2 Hour Impression of WoW  
Jump to: