Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: My First 2 Hour Impression of WoW 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My First 2 Hour Impression of WoW  (Read 76529 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #175 on: September 12, 2004, 03:37:39 PM

Quote from: Ardent
I've met some great people while testing this game but MAN did I have to wade through a sea of idiots to find them.

I've tested this game since Alpha, and I STILL haven't found a guild to join, mostly because I'm forced to solo to avoid teh stupid.

If you find a group of decent, mature folks Nebu, who play on the Beta server, please let me know and I'll hitch on to that wagon.

I have a REALLY great group of guys. Most have been playing since alpha also. I got in Beta in phase 2 and met up with them, and have since brought structure to their guild. I think come release we will have a great group of mature players who want to have fun, but also be major players. Bummer your not on the PVP server.

This invite is also to any other people who would like to join a fun guild, very friendly, no shitheads. We put it in the charter that no vulgur or aLtCaPs names where allowed. We do have one guy whos name is ShaDoFist, and I give him grief about it all the time, but he will change it for release.

We ARE on the PVP server. We also do a small bit of RP. I go by Morvant, and the guild is Dread Guard. Also www.dreadguard.com is just about finished. You can look me, or any of the guild up in game by doing a /who Dread Guard.

This goes out to any of you guys who would be interested. I will also invite every one here again right before retail.
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: September 12, 2004, 06:08:41 PM

Quote from: MrHat
Quote from: Merusk

Yes, some folks still think it's a standalone or 'free' game, and a very large number expect it to be released in November.  How sad for them.

I can't help but feel it will be released soon.

By soon I don't mean Nov. cuz that seems TOO soon, but earlier than we typically think.

VU really wants this game out I think.

Well it's either November or December.  They've said that they're releasing this year and I don't have any reason to doubt that they will.  As far as I know, Sony is planning on releasing EQ2 for christmas and I'm sure that they want to beat them to the punch.  I don't think the game is in very bad shape - if the crash bugs were gone I think it is plenty read to be released to the public.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: September 12, 2004, 07:00:29 PM

Well I borrowed my friend's stress test key and played WoW this past weekend.

I guess seeing comments here of "EQ1.5" regarding WoW influenced me.   When I logged on for half an hour - I was so disappointed I logged and went back to CoH.  My first reaction was - what was new?  Do I want to restart EQ all over again with fewer polygons?

Upon taking a second look with more time I am now a convert.   The landscape is amazing (e.g. Dwarven, Undead) giving great atmosphere.  The tweaks really do help game play - including "quest sharing" a nice little innovation.  My reaction was that the quests were not just camps with movement - I felt engaged.  Moving encouraged exploration - and distraction - a nice change.

Exploring the taverns and little cottages, oddly, despite its low polygon count gave me FAR more intimacy with my environment than SB, EQ or CoH.

I focused on the Warlock, Warrior, Priest and Druid (leveled 5-8).

It drives me crazy attributes are auto assigned as you level - very little choice involved.  They are making some major changes to tradeskills too I hear.

Where is the crowd control in this game?  While some classes can deal with one add (Rogue, Warlock) - there does not appear to be "crowd" control.  No feign death either for a pull to break a camp... Am I missing something?

All in all a great experience and I will try it on retail.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #178 on: September 12, 2004, 08:52:36 PM

There's plenty of CC. Even as a warrior I have various skills to manage the aggro. AOE attacks, confuse spells, root... The fun is that confuse spells actually work in PvP. Basically you are hit and start to flee around randomly. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw that :D

In the last few days I had that wonderful experience in Gnomeragon, today the game won me again and I topped my fun in a mmorpg. Finally I'm in a real contested zone (I've reached level 33 with near-zero impact with PvP) and the Horde plays here as well. The start of it was a simple kill quest that on the normal server would require no more than five minutes.

Well, it took a whole hour but after I was done I kept playing there for another hour just for the sake of it. Basically it was about killing mobs around a farm but the farm itself transformed into an Unreal Turnament session since there was another Horde group doing the same quest. The zones and the spots are tailored for a specific level ranges so the groups were balanced enough and it seems that the last patch did wonders to make the PvP viable. I had no problem hitting level 38 enemies (and the "charge" skill is awesome to fight casters).

Really, really fun. We sorta died at turns. In two minutes we were back, getting organized and rushing them. Then there were two minutes for us to go on with the quest and wait their turn to get organized and gank us.

Even if there's zero reward for killing enemy players we kept going to the farm just because it was a lot of fun. And so did the Horde group.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: September 12, 2004, 10:32:12 PM

Quote from: Morphiend
Stuff + ...This goes out to any of you guys who would be interested. I will also invite every one here again right before retail.

Morphiend... I may take you up on this assuming the pvp is better implemented than it was in EQ.  If I play WoW at all, I'll likely start on a pvp server.  My only concern is that this is the place "teh stupid" will congregate when they beg mom for enough cash to sub up the first couple of months.  

At least with a good gang of mature players they won't be more than entertainment.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: September 12, 2004, 10:37:11 PM

Thanks again to all of you for participating in the World of Warcraft stress test beta. We look forward to seeing you again online in either the closed beta test or the upcoming open beta test, as well as in the retail version of World of Warcraft when it launches later this year!

Straight from the Blizzard's mouth.

The game is very polished. I think they can make a smooth, successful release by the end of the year.

EDITED: I despise agreeing with schild, but in this case he's right. It's late, I have to go back to my depressing job tomorrow, and I wasn't thinking. Nuke the quote. People will find out I'm right eventually, but it's too soon to say what I said.

Um, never mind.
schild
Administrator

Reply #181 on: September 12, 2004, 10:39:34 PM

EQ2? Is leagues behind in terms of polish. I'm not talking about gameplay here, I'm talking about releasability: WoW is so far ahead, it's not even remotely close.

If SOE thinks they are releasing by Christmas, they will be foisting yet another steaming pile of unfinished S(WG)hit on us.

You are either:
1. Breaking NDA.
2. Being a fucktard.

Stop doing both.

As for WoW, of course it will be polished. That's what Blizzard does. They polish and simplify. Didn't you get the memo?
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: September 13, 2004, 07:10:31 AM

I played a good amount of the stress test when a friend got in a second time in the second batch (before I got in once, betas hate me).

On the friends account I got a Tauren hunter up to 9 and a gnome wizard up to 6.  When he gave me his second account I got a Human Warlock to 18, and a Night elf Rogue to 10.

It is a fun game, but just too simple for me.  Simple in many ways.  Even too graphically simple for me.  The cartoon-ness of the world removed any feeling of awe that I might have had.  It was like I was watching a badly drawn saturday morning cartoon, and nothing in those ever amazes me.  Even things of large scale didn't impress me for some reason due to the style.

The game itself seems abit simple as well.  The quests lead you by the freaking nose to the next quest, and while that keeps you busy, I feel like I am playing the worlds first Linear MMOG.  Linear is okay for me in a game I expect to be disposable, but not in an mmog.  My human got into westfall before he could finish some of those quests (mostly they were WAY too camped and he could not muscle in far enough and still be safe).  So I went and did all the dwarven quests as well.  Some of the ones below my level in their capitol city zone and then all the ones I could do in the zone to the east.  This finally brought me up to the level I think the game expected me to be at for that point.

So I guess I did some different things than others my level might have done, but I sure saw a lot of other humans doing the dwarf quests, especially since it is hinted that you should do that by making you go to that zone on a delivery quest.  It just felt like everyone had the same shared experiences, exactly the same.

I don't know why that bothers me, but it does for some odd reason.  If the quests were more optional some would do them, some would not.  But as they give the bulk of the exp in the game they are the optimal way to level so EVERYONE does every quest and gets the same rewards for the same class.

With EQ2 having only 2 starting towns it will probably be the same problem there I guess.  I will probably have to get over it.

Another thing is that the attempted epic feel of some of the WoW quests just rub the static world in your face.  Pretty much the same for all quests in all of these games.  Pretty much the same as crushbone respawning every few minutes...

This next bit is really a game design thing, but something I had been toying with in my mind...

With all this instancing going on, why not use it for more than just crowd control?  If you do a quest that rids zone abc of gnolls, why not put you in an instance where the gnolls are gone?  With other people who have also gotten rid of the gnolls.  It would make staying with friends pretty hellishly stupid, but would be a neat idea other than that big problem.  Each zone could maybe have 3 different instances or so for a few epic style quests in each one.  You could label them as epic plainly to at least advertise that you are about to do something big and force an instance change.

Ah well.

The game is good, but it just does not 'hook' me.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: September 13, 2004, 07:56:54 AM

Quote from: Liquidator
I've heard the term EverQuest 1.5 thrown around quite a bit, and I think that is a pretty accurate way to describe World of Warcraft.  Is that a bad thing?  IMO it's not.  I'm having a great time playing.  I'll write up something more detailed later.

It was for me. I liked the stylized graphics. I liked the quests providing direction in game play. I DID NOT enjoy the fact that so many of the quests has me camping a static spawn with Eleventy-bajillion other players.

I made it to level 9.

At the end of the day, it felt like Everquest with some blizzard polish.

No thanks.

Full disclosure: I'm still playing City of Heroes, and having fun. *shrug*

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: September 13, 2004, 08:58:48 AM

There are deffinatly certain "quest tracks" in wow that lead you in a fairly linear path. The downside of this is that is is somewhat linear but the advantage would be that it does insure at least to some extant that all of the content in the game will be visited and used. Unlike eqlive where you had a lot of zones that after some expansions never had anybody visit them this isn't really possible in WoW.

There is a bit more diversity for questing though than is apparent at first because if you are a human and go to kalimdor you now have another huge chunk of zones to level in similar ranges with very different quest paths.

I think eq2 will probably be similar in how this works to WoW with only two city I am uncertain of how many truly different quest tracks there will be. The only way to really avoid it is to add such a metric fuckton of quests that there just is no way to due all the quests when you are in the level range to do them.

I would have to say that at least certain linear quest tracks are NOT a bad thing. leading people around your world so you can tell them a story about  what is going on with the people and seeing all the content is not a bad thing.

kaid
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: September 13, 2004, 09:33:23 AM

Now that the stress test has ended and only faint echos of me screaming RTFQ in General chat can be heard, I've come to a few personal conclusions:

-They really copped out on class balance. Rather than balance differing, dynamic elements from each unique realm, they homogenized the class system across the entire game. While this definitely addresses balancing concerns, it really takes away from feeling as if your character is a unique and useful addition to your side.

-Quests that require you to get a certain number of kills are easily addressed by grouping, but that same group is going to be there on a linear order longer if they are all gathering dropped items for a quest. This leads to common, useful quest areas being dominated in short burts by groups, usually keeping a spawn location wiped clean for 10-40 minutes at a time, depending on the quest/group. This makes doing a drop quest pretty difficult for solo people, and especially frustrating when the spawns are camped each time you check. Some unique drops have addressed this with multiple simultaneous recipients. (Fitzsprocket's Clipboard comes to mind)

-Newbs should not be getting all of the PvP mesages, especially not for other races newbie zones. It would be more convenient to have the reported area increase with your level or via a setting. Especially during the last day, at level 9, my chat was a torrent of <insert zone name here> is under attack!

-Player crafted guns and ammo, in their current form, will dominate this game at release. The cool factor alone will draw people to it, with the appalling damage output bringing the naysayers onboard. It seems they balanced the difficulty and cost of fabrication with power, but cost and difficulty are not factors a month after release.

-I have to agree that the epic feel just isn't there. Like every MMOG I've played they failed to capture the real essence of adventure: enacting change. Any quests that result in a change are quickly reversed or reset to allow another player to complete them. There's never a sense of doing something that made a noticeable, important change. "Thank you! You've released me from my eternal prison! Now shoo so this next guy can, too."

-It's frustrating to have quests that you know you can complete, only to see the rewards are something you can't use. (nor trade, as I assume Soulbound means) Granted, the xp is always a bonus, but it's not as rewarding to choose whatever item you think will sell for more. Each general quest (elite and unique item quests aside) should have a reward for any class that may do it, even if it's likely you'll have better.

-They *really* need to fix the idle weapon animations. More often than not I found my weapon model to be missing after a battle, recoverable only through a sheathe/unsheathe. This was probably the most surprising bug I found, since it's so conspicuous and major.

With all that said, I'll most likely be playing at release.. unless, of course, I get into beta and burn out. My desire to play something new and decent outweighs my yearning for innovation.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: September 13, 2004, 01:13:56 PM

I actually had my first PvP match in WoW on the last day.

As a big level 2 mage I found myself being kill stealed by a big level 4 mage (clash of the Titans).  While annoying, this guy challenged me a to a duel.

My EQ experience made me aware of two things about WoW:

1.  There is no collision
2.  Line of sight issues for casting are critical (viewing arc etc.)

So to sit there and trade nukes with a caster two levels higher than I is not a strategy.  So... hehe... I ran at him - RIGHT THROUGH him - and turned around and attacked him from behind with my... staff.

He kept turning so he could "see me" to nuke my butt.  But each time he turned I ran through him, pivoted and hit him again.

Owned.  About the only PvP fight I have ever won (I don't document my losses).

hehe.

"  HaemishM.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: September 13, 2004, 01:42:07 PM

I am not much of a PVP person but I have to admit the stress test server style pvp that I was seeing was pretty darn amusing.

Sunday morning looking the end of beta in the eye I said ah hell lets see how this PVP thing works. I had a level 20 rogue so I figured I would do a lil damage before getting wacked. I see the world defense channel reporting that the city right near where I was camped was under attack.

I see a level 25 hunter playing kick the dwarfie and the lil guys who were there level 10 or so were not hurting him at all. I figured oh heck this guy will kill me but who cares charge!

Okay so I didn't charge hey I am a rogue I hit stealth and crept up on him and low and behold taurens broad back makes one hell of an easy target. I opened with ambush and just cut him small burgers before he realized I was there.

Okay now the hunter knows I am around so he starts hunting for me. Me being a gnome and stealthed am having fun watching his every move from shrubs. He walks by me and I pounce and kill him again.

He then came back saw me at a distance and shot me. So I used my burst run to charge him, hit him with my stun side stepped and blasted him again.

I also managed to have some pretty abrupt combats vs the various casters that were called in by the tauren.

By the end of my pvp time it was gnomie 6 horde zip.

The pvp system seems to work pretty well if you are on your home turf and you do not want to pvp you do not have to. Just ignore the pvp stuff and go about your business.  If you however want to pvp you can hop over to one of the zones your world defense channel is saying is under attack type /pvp and you are now pvp+ for the next 5 minutes or until 5 minutes pass after you are out of combat.

If you are adventuring in hostile lands if you don't want to pvp just avoid the opposing alliances NPC's such as guards and vendors. If you choose to attack these or are agroed by these or just type /pvp you are open for combat. Generally you flip your pvp bit you will get action pretty fast.

Frankly with as quick and easy as it is to fire up pvp fights on a normal WoW server I am kinda curious why they are bothering with pvp servers at all.

Kaid
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: September 13, 2004, 01:46:07 PM

I see a level 25 hunter playing kick the dwarfie and the lil guys who were there level 10 or so were not hurting him at all.

How did this happen?  I was under the impression that PvP was level-restricted DAoC-battlegrounds style, to prevent exactly this.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #189 on: September 13, 2004, 01:55:58 PM

Well.. I got into the stress test Friday.  Nice little bit of time, but then I like the warcraft universe so I was good to go with the graphics.  The world is huge, but damn, COH has ruined my perception of what is exceptable movement wise...

Anyway, was fun and the questing had layers and the world hand interest that COH lacks.  I will be playing both, damn them.

As to the PVP question above.. Say your an ORC.  You can go into the Alliance homeland and turn PVP on.. but you can not attack anyone that does not attack you.

However, if your that same orc and a dwarf turns on PVP in your realm, you can attack them.

Basically the switch is currently a chest pounding "HEY I WANNA FIGHT" sign.

Of course, I played for all of two days, so what the pancake do I know.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: September 13, 2004, 02:06:56 PM

Quote from: Mesozoic
I see a level 25 hunter playing kick the dwarfie and the lil guys who were there level 10 or so were not hurting him at all.

How did this happen?  I was under the impression that PvP was level-restricted DAoC-battlegrounds style, to prevent exactly this.

Nope, no level restriction at all, but if the dwarves were being attacked it is because they attacked first or typed /pvp.  They were willing participants.

Granted if unwilling, an enemy could still keep some vital quest character they need from staying alive long enough to do a quest.  So you could still grief newbies.  You will probably rather quickly be attacked and killed, but since death means NOTHING in WoW, the griefer will be right back.  I don't know how long the defender will bother killing the griefer again and again and again and again.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #191 on: September 13, 2004, 02:13:44 PM

Quote from: Fargull
As to the PVP question above.. Say your an ORC.  You can go into the Alliance homeland and turn PVP on.. but you can not attack anyone that does not attack you. However, if your that same orc and a dwarf turns on PVP in your realm, you can attack them.

Basically the switch is currently a chest pounding "HEY I WANNA FIGHT" sign.

Of course, I played for all of two days, so what the pancake do I know.

I dont know that any body really got high enough, but come about lvl 22 or so you start going to "Contested Zones" where is basically every one is PVP flagged. This gets quite a bit more interesting. At first it was a constant war, and no one could really level, cause every one was always dead, or killing.

After a while of this there have developed several "Truce" towns. Booty Bay in Stranglethorne vale, and Gadgetzen in Tanaris it is very common to see players from oposing factions talk, or leaving each other alone. It is by no means safe though, as you could be blasted at any time.

Also, several of the higher level zones, it is common to run past other faction members, and do /wave, this is sort of the universal sign of, "Your questing, Im questing, dont fuck with me, I wont fuck with you." Its pretty cool. When im feeling charitable, I even have saved a low level alliance member or two from a nasty pull.

But when its raid time, no one is safe.

*Edit* the level based battlegrounds are coming in the next two patches. These will be instanced zones, seperated by level, that simulates a large war, mixing PCs and NPCs to give it a real battlefield type feel. I like that idea, but i will still play on the PVP server. Its not that bad, and the fun factor is defenetly there.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #192 on: September 13, 2004, 02:15:39 PM

Is the above on a PVP or regular server?

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #193 on: September 13, 2004, 02:24:45 PM

How can anyone play an MMOG with a zone named BOOTY BAY and still have a straight face when they talk about it?

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #194 on: September 13, 2004, 02:31:50 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
How can anyone play an MMOG with a zone named BOOTY BAY and still have a straight face when they talk about it?

It's Blizzard, if your not chuckling while you play, then something is missing from your genetic material.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: September 13, 2004, 02:31:55 PM

Ya the lil level 10s were willing pvpers. It was the last day of beta and they wanted to see if 4 lil level 10s had a chance in pvp. By themelves the answer is not much of one against a level 25 but they were handy for spotting and harassing the foe while the higher level folks took them down.

All in all it was pretty good spirited combat. Most of us involved were using it as the first test of the system just to see how the combat worked in pvp and it does work pretty well. The level gap is an issue but while a level 10 dosn't do much to a level 25 a level 20 can destroy a level 25 if you use your skills well.

The PvP system seems a pretty decent implementation and due to how it works I dont see that many staying on PVP only servers but the most froathing gankers.

edit for clarity

this is for a non pvp server. The pvp servers are 24/7 no level restriction pvp.

kaid
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #196 on: September 13, 2004, 02:56:49 PM

Quote from: Rasix
Is the above on a PVP or regular server?

The above is the PVP server. Its more like DAoC regular server than say the DAoC PVP server. Except 60% of the quests are in the frontiere, not 2%.

That doesnt sound good put like that, but there are not HUGE zergs of people roaming around, so its not bad at all.  In a 3 hour playng session, with all that time questing in a Contested Zone, I get attacked maybe 2 or 3 times. IF that.

The normal server has PVP, but only battlegrounds, or if you attack another factions NPC you get flagged PVP. You can also flag yourself by typing /pvp.

Now, playing on a non-PVP server, I could see how people would liken it to EQ a bit more than the PVP server. Honestly, I dont know if I would play if not for the pvp server. It really is fun, and not as bad as the board trolls make it seem. Its even safer now that they have changed the town guard spawns.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: September 13, 2004, 03:01:35 PM

I was under the impression that even on the PvP+ server faction members could not wantonly attack another faction member(Horde attacking Horde/Alliance attacking Alliance).  Not yet, anyhow.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #198 on: September 13, 2004, 03:33:29 PM

Quote from: ahoythematey
I was under the impression that even on the PvP+ server faction members could not wantonly attack another faction member(Horde attacking Horde/Alliance attacking Alliance).  Not yet, anyhow.

You are correct. You can Duel members of your faction, but that is it.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: September 13, 2004, 06:59:19 PM

Quote from: jpark
I actually had my first PvP match in WoW on the last day.

As a big level 2 mage I found myself being kill stealed by a big level 4 mage (clash of the Titans).  While annoying, this guy challenged me a to a duel.

My EQ experience made me aware of two things about WoW:

1.  There is no collision
2.  Line of sight issues for casting are critical (viewing arc etc.)

So to sit there and trade nukes with a caster two levels higher than I is not a strategy.  So... hehe... I ran at him - RIGHT THROUGH him - and turned around and attacked him from behind with my... staff.

He kept turning so he could "see me" to nuke my butt.  But each time he turned I ran through him, pivoted and hit him again.

Owned.  About the only PvP fight I have ever won (I don't document my losses).

hehe.

That's an old DAoC trick thanks to lack of collision detection there. Also, I did find in WoW, that certain huge fricking trees in Elwynn Forest are... ummm... how you say... not solid. Or at least not in terms of Line of Sight. It'll be interesting to see if they address these PvP issues or if they just let the smart players exploit them. ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: September 13, 2004, 10:31:49 PM

My bud and I like to talk about these stuff and one issue we are wrestling with is travel.

Who is the best travel class in this game?

Mage?  They can teleport to cities - but can they teleport elsewhere?
Druid?  Not sure how fast their ariel form really is for land travel.

And then we ran out of gas.  

I remember the early days of EQ - travel was important - as an innate ability or one you could grant others.  Remember paying for a SOW?

If anyone could shed light  which class is best suited for travel powers I would appreciate it.

PS - one reason to play a Dwarf or Gnome - is the small size of the avatar gives you the false impression you are moving swiftly (vs. the Tauren).

"  HaemishM.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: September 13, 2004, 11:10:59 PM

The answer is probably shaman, since they get the best, earliest speed buff.

The following classes have innate speed buffs:
shaman (lvl 20)
druid (lvl 30)
warlock (lvl 40)
hunter (lvl 20, but is only half the speed of the others)
paladins (lvl ??? - I don't know, paladins bore the shit out of me)

All classes can purchase a mount at level 40, except Tauren, who get plainsrunning for free.

Um, never mind.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: September 14, 2004, 12:45:18 AM

Could someone enlighten me, what is this "Charge" ability all warriors seem to be so  crazy about ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #203 on: September 14, 2004, 01:15:30 AM

Quote from: Der Helm
Could someone enlighten me, what is this "Charge" ability all warriors seem to be so  crazy about ?

It does what its name implies -- it allows a Warrior to close quickly on a target (like a "sprint" ability). It also builds up Rage and has a chance of stunning a target at higher ability levels. It used to only be usable outside of combat but now it can be used during. That in combination with other Warrior abilities like Hamstring (damage plus chance of snaring the target) makes the Warrior very powerful in PvP combat.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: September 14, 2004, 03:39:41 AM

mental note: "Try melee classes once WoW goes live ..."

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #205 on: September 14, 2004, 06:47:37 AM

Can you fight from atop the mount?

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #206 on: September 14, 2004, 07:04:46 AM

The answer is probably shaman, since they get the best, earliest speed buff.

The following classes have innate speed buffs:
shaman (lvl 20)
druid (lvl 30)
warlock (lvl 40)
hunter (lvl 20, but is only half the speed of the others)
paladins (lvl ??? - I don't know, paladins bore the shit out of me)

All classes can purchase a mount at level 40, except Tauren, who get plainsrunning for free.

Rogues also get the sprint ability.  The cooldown can be tweaked w/ talents.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #207 on: September 14, 2004, 08:15:10 AM

No.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: September 14, 2004, 08:16:05 AM

Ummm .... I don't think so. I think they're just for travel.

My problem (and this could be a function of the game itself) is that I don't have any characters high enough to buy a mount. I've played every class in the game, some of them I've got into the late-20s (shaman, druid, rogue), some of them to the mid-teens (warrior, priest, warlock, hunter) and some I abondoned out of boredom fairly early (mage, paladin). If I just stuck with one character, I'd be at the level cap by now.

I don't know if this is just my beta behavior, trying to test things out and find what I want to stick with at release, or if I just hit a wall around level 20 when I lose interest and have to start something new. Probably a combination of both.

Um, never mind.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: September 14, 2004, 08:23:16 AM

The rogue sprint ability is not very long lasting but it is REALLY quick. As long as it is up any death you take in outdoor areas is likely because you were to agressive and did not want to flee.

Not really a travel power though.

Melee classes in WoW seem very decent. The warriors get alot of tricks in their bags and while I originally thought they would have huge problems in the mosh pits of stress test they easily held their own. Infact it is amazingly hard to kill steal from a warrior who is using dash. Dash fires off much faster than most attack spells and has nearly the range. So if you see a mob up you can dash and pounce on it to claim the mob.

Oh also you don't need to be high level to stun with dash. Heck at level 4 I was consistantly getting a 1 to 2 second stun off on mobs when I landed it. Makes for a killer opener.

Rogues well rogues are a bit more shifty but they have a ton of tricks in their bag and are a very solid class to play. They even solo pretty well because you can still backstab easy enough using gouge which is a 4 second or so stun and then side step for a backstab.

Graphic wise you will either like WoW graphics or you will not. I do not think there will be much middle ground. Myself I do like them in a storybook picture way with bright colors and simple styling.

kaid
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: My First 2 Hour Impression of WoW  
Jump to: