Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Disgaea 3 Announced for the PS3 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disgaea 3 Announced for the PS3  (Read 70995 times)
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 12:59:10 AM

Not liking awesome games and favoring crappy robot/military anime just isn't my style.

If you are dissing Robotech I am afraid I will have to tie you to a train track and have a Shih Tzu skull fuck you.

So you take that back sir!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 02:11:36 PM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #37 on: October 13, 2007, 09:26:24 AM

That looked ridiculous....platforming?

Also, prequel lol? In a school no less?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 13, 2007, 09:58:17 AM

Disgaea has always been quirky, that's kind of the point.  Also, you have always been able to jump around the town areas, I doubt that is a platforming section.

I think it looks great.  The crazy tower stuff definitely looks interesting.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 27, 2007, 06:11:54 PM

I. CANNOT. WAIT.

Theres a place on your face that can save the human race, its called a smile, the positivity that it creates takes awhile, but the grin will turn an inch into a mile.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #40 on: June 07, 2008, 03:06:30 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #41 on: June 07, 2008, 11:21:03 AM

Yea, it's focusing on DS stuff because there isn't anything else to focus on. PS3 stuff is hard to get ahold of and there's not much of it. PS2 stuff is dwindling - though I like them to get that X Edge game or whatever it's called. They didn't get poison pink. And PSP development is all but dead.

Tough times for small publishers in certain niches.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 03:29:11 PM

1up posted an absolutely abysmal preview a few days ago.  It has some new screen shots and a tiny bit of info but you are better off reading the wiki. 

I'm a little disappointed that companies like NIS have no where else to go other than the DS this gen.  But hey, at least they seem to be going DS instead of Wii, I'd hate to have to actually find one of those fuckers (screw you Shiren 3).

Also, words cannot convey my excitement regarding Disgaea3.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Strazos

Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 03:52:14 PM

I don't understand why they HAVE to go to the DS over the PS3 or 360. Is it because the PS3 doesn't have the market penetration, while the 360 probably doesn't have the right demographic makeup?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 03:58:20 PM

In Japan a lot of people are looking for time-wasting portable games they can use on the train. For example if you look at S-E's most recent financial statement they actually made a fair amount of money off cell-phone stuff.

Portable games are much cheaper to produce and the DS has higher market penetration. And games like Disgea don't really require ultra-expensive hardware. I kind of like the fact that the GBA/DS has become a place for 16-bit era games like 2D Castlevanias, Fire Emblem, etc.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Strazos

Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 04:36:19 PM

The thing I don't like about that is I don't normally play portables. I play at home, and I don't feel like craning my neck to look down at my PSP.

Oh well.

Fear the Backstab!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 11:50:26 AM

I don't understand why they HAVE to go to the DS over the PS3 or 360. Is it because the PS3 doesn't have the market penetration, while the 360 probably doesn't have the right demographic makeup?

The 360 is at least trying to get the right demographic makeup.  MS actually had a press conference in Japan earlier, just to show off the RPG's they have coming up.  Tales of Vesperia was given an August worldwide release date, with still no PS3 version announced.  360 exclusive Infinite Undiscovery comes out in September in all regions.  Square announced that The Last Remnant was releasing for the 360 first sometime "this winter", with the PS3 release date still unknown, but will definitely be at a later date.  Likewise Star Ocean 4, which is set for 2009, will release first on the 360, with Tri-Ace saying that it's still undecided if it will get a PS3 port.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 12:57:55 PM

The thing I don't like about that is I don't normally play portables. I play at home, and I don't feel like craning my neck to look down at my PSP.

Oh well.

Much as I dislike the PSP (Even if I am playing R Type Command on it right now.), you CAN play the current versions on your TV.  I almost bought a new one just for that.
Then a mild bout of fiscal responsibility and the realization 200 bucks can get me more AT 43 mans took over.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 04:18:17 PM

Sitting in the floor using a PSP as a wired controller for a game with terrible visuals isn't nearly as cool as it might seem.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 07:11:29 AM

Sitting in the floor using a PSP as a wired controller for a game with terrible visuals isn't nearly as cool as it might seem.

I bet your little boy thinks you're the coolest person ever when you do, though.  Well, it's mostly the sitting on the floor being short like him, probably, but still!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 11:12:50 AM

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35044.html looks pretty damn good, more of same with some new additions  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Firecrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 12, 2008, 03:16:16 AM

Why are they stack-attacking in reverse? Could this be a useful tactic? Stack at start....pummel everything within a 20 step radius lol.
schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 03:18:16 AM

As soon as press are allowed to play, I'll have a wealth of info for you all.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 03:35:07 AM

Why are they stack-attacking in reverse? Could this be a useful tactic? Stack at start....pummel everything within a 20 step radius lol.

Some info from Gamespot's preview

One of the combat mechanics that has given the series a unique feel among strategy RPGs is the ability to stack characters on top of each other and toss them around the battlefield. You'll still be able to do this in Disgaea 3, but now, you've got a few more uses for your human totem pole. You'll be able to use what are called tower attacks to go after enemies in a variety of ways. We were shown a clip of a tower acting as a 10-person cartwheel to roll over and do damage to those caught in its path. There was also a moment with one person grabbing the entire tower and swinging it around, as well as several bizarre chain reactions where characters are shot from the tower like bullets from a loaded magazine.

Another new feature is the skill merge, which takes skills you've acquired throughout your various battles and fuses them together to achieve hybrid results. You can also use an ability called magichange to transform your character midbattle. A few other enhancements include the ability to deal damage up to a million points at a time and a class world that gives you access to 40 randomly generated battle stages per character. With 270 characters in the game, that should add up to quite a bit of space.

Beyond these, one of the bigger features added to the battle system is the idea of geo blocks. These introduce a puzzle element to the fights. They're multicolored blocks that can be stacked and arranged on the battlefield, which can then be taken out in chain attacks to achieve all manner of strange results. We're not yet sure about the specifics of the geo block placement (how much of it is done by the player and so on), but suffice it to say, they should take an already deep battle system and make it even more extravagant.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #54 on: June 12, 2008, 03:47:36 AM

And PSP development is all but dead.

Just a quick tangent here, I was surprised recently when the news came out that Ready at Dawn (who did the God of War and Daxter PSP games) are calling it quits on the PSP and have shipped out their PSP dev kits.  I can understand wanting to move on to bigger things (not sure the Wii port of Okami would qualify), but I would have thought that the niche they built as one of the top PSP developers would pay enough to continue PSP development in some form.

On the plus side for PSP owners, it was nice to see that Yggdra Union is getting a PSP remake.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 03:58:40 AM

The Gamespot guy is clearly unfamiliar with the Disgaea series. The geo blocks/geochange system has been in from Disgaea 1 and is one of the primary ways to cheese the shit out of the combat system.

It's also fucking awesome.
schild
Administrator

Reply #56 on: June 12, 2008, 03:59:20 AM

No, the geo system has been revamped entirely. I'm going to bed so I'm not going to get into it. But it's totally and radically different now.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #57 on: June 24, 2008, 11:07:16 AM

I bet your little boy thinks you're the coolest person ever when you do, though.  Well, it's mostly the sitting on the floor being short like him, probably, but still!

Actually it's because he loves Loco Roco.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Disgaea 3 Announced for the PS3  
Jump to: