Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:14:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Stratics House of Commons chat with Turbine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stratics House of Commons chat with Turbine  (Read 14913 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: July 10, 2007, 05:48:30 AM

Stratics House of Commons chat. My highlights:

• Book 10- Being able to purchase more Vault space (system sounds like WoW. Good ideas should compel emulation)
  • Book 10- New types of horses, different colors, harder to be knocked off.
  • Book 10- To Hunter and Champion is given a look similar to what Captains got in Book 9 (Minstrel and LM may be next).
  • Book 10- Opening gates to Annuminas (on the shore of Evendim, once capital of Arnor).
  • Book 11- Housing. In instantiated neighborhoods with houses of different sizes. They can be decorated. They can have stuff stored in them.
---------------------
The chatlog:

LBeff - Welcome to another great Stratics house of commons with the developers of The Lord of the Rings Online! Tonight's topic is the General Discussion, all questions are welcome.
LBeff - We'll begin with a brief introduction from our guests and then proceed with the chat. Now would be a good time to send those questions to [QT]Legend!
Rhidden - Hi everyone, Im Rhidden. I make content for LOTRO.
LOTRO_Scenario - Hey everyone! My name is Matt "Scenario" Elliott, Lead Worldbuilder for LOTRO. We're responsible for the look and feel of the landscape and for populating it with all the systems that make the world come alive.
LOTRO_Amlug - Hi I'm Jared "Amlug" Hall-Dugas. You may also know me as Amlug. I'm a Content Designer for LoTRO. I'm responsible for your most beloved instances and the wonderful Sara Oakheart World Tour! I'm also the Inn League President and a client as well!
Annuvin - Hey all, my name is Cardell "Annuvin" Kerr. Everyone thinks I'm the Creative Director of this project, but I'm actually the janitor. They seem desparate though, so... yeah. Here I am.
LOTRO_Saffron - Hi I'm Vanessa "Saffron" Price! By the Word of Patience: I am the Iron Fist of Justice on the forums. :-D And at this time, I'm being kept alive by a steady infusion of Cherry Coke Zero.
LOTRO_Patience - Hi everyone! I'm Meghan "Patience" Rodberg, community manager for LOTRO. Thanks for coming tonight. :)
LOTRO_Patience - I just want to give a quick rundown of some things going on with the game!
LOTRO_Patience - The Summer Festival ends tonight, so if you haven't finished up your quests, you should do so tonight. :) The Tavern Crawl is great fun.
LOTRO_Patience - Also, we just announced a patch for Wednesday, from 7:00AM - 1:00PM EDT. You can find the patch notes at http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=75830.
LOTRO_Patience - During the downtime, from 11:00AM -2:00PM,if you play on Roheryn you'll have the chance to win prizes, like an e-GeForce 8800 GTS Graphics Card or one of five 60-day LOTRO pre-paid game cards. w00t! Saffron posted all of the details here:
LOTRO_Patience - http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?p=889455#post889455
LOTRO_Patience - Finally, if you're planning on going to the Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) this year, stop by our booth and say hi!
LOTRO_Patience - Okay, that's all I have. :) Thanks again for coming!

LBeff - [UK]Durmor[Laurelin]* Question: Are there any plans to have a Kinship vault? ie. a vault which all members of a kinship can access? This would be a great addition to the game for kinships that share resources like ore or wood :) thanks ~ Durmor the Drunken Dwarf
Annuvin - In sticking with my previous janitor comment; I really don't know. Ah well, that doesn't seem to satisfy Patience, so I'll wing an answer. We want to give more love to kinships, and adding a kinship style vault is a good thing.
Annuvin - You can expect more inventory to arrive soon (*cough* book 10 *cough*), and a birdy has told me that kinship vaults will be on point along with housing... maybe.

LBeff - *Boomheadshot-25* my question is. how is player housing going on. could you give us a few insider hints on how its gonna be?
LOTRO_Scenario - Housing is coming along great. In fact, we broke ground today on one of our first neighborhoods to the south of bree-town. :)
LOTRO_Scenario - As we get further along in the development of housing, we'll have more information to give you.

LBeff - *Yemkela* The champion class got an update in Book 9. Which class will be getting an update in Book 10, and what kind of skills can that class look forward to receiving?
Annuvin - Book 10 is the combo month of the Hunter and the Captain. As a general rule, we're trying to make roles a lot more clear for each class, as well as ensuring they have broader bases. You can expect the Hunter to be gaining more
Annuvin - damage capability, in addition to more types of traps, while the Captain is going to gain more options as well.

LBeff - *Witchchild* The recent UK chat mentioned "better" horses in the future. What can you tell us about that?
Rhidden - With book 10 you will be able to earn new horses. You will take more hits before you are knocked off and they will have new color variations.

LBeff - *Smithy* Are we ever going to have kinships for creeps?
Annuvin - We've talked about kinships for creeps (KFC...), for quite a while. Overall, we're still trying to tackle some of the more niggling PvMP balance issues before spending our time tackling it.

LBeff - *Guest92* Are there plans to look at legendaries traits across classes. At the moment several legendary traits are not very legendary :)
Annuvin - Ahh, legendary deeds. You can expect some of the legendary traits to get some love in correspondence to their "Month of"'s. So... yeah. I would like to say that all legendary traits will rock your socks off, but sadly, traits(and thus coolness) are open to interpretation.

LBeff - *Presto* Will there be recipes for those who have reached GM in all three of their professions, so Tinker, for instance, or Historian recipes
Annuvin - It's funny you should mention that! We're doing a massive crafting rebalance for Book 10 to make crafted items more alluring. After that, you'll see more high end recipes for each profession. After we improve on what's there, we'll start to tackle each vocation separately.

LBeff - *Sera* Will the Bear boss in Helegrod (Coldbear) ever have a purpose other then a 100% droprate on the gleaming copper ring?
LOTRO_Amlug - Well, besides Coldbear just being darn cool and the cousin of the Great Ghost Bear, the answer is most definitely maybe.
LOTRO_Patience - RAAAAWR!
LOTRO_Patience - http://www.lotro.com/files/35/63/38/82/1279.swf
LOTRO_Patience - :D

LBeff - *Corey* There aren't a lot of kinships, at least on Gladden, that have the man-power right now to run Helegrod -- but there are plenty who have around 12 people who /want/ to. Will we see anything in the near future to facilitate small- and medium-sized kinships hooking up?
LOTRO_Amlug - We realize that 24 can be a daunting number. We do fully plan to support smaller raids in the future. In fact there are 2 raids on landscape right now and the next instance raid we have coming is for 12 people! I'm working on it now with Rhidden... *zips his lips*

LBeff - *Zanelas* We already know that you are planning on implementing player housing with Book 11. Can you tell us how this will be implemented? Will it be instanced rooms or instanced communities?
Rhidden - Housing will be in instanced communities that will have multiple house sizes.

LBeff - *Tetrasodium* Orion mentioned that there was a PvMP roadmap underway for late july or so. Are there any early tid bits in there that him or the rest of the Turbine folks want to share? :)
Annuvin - Well, I can't speak for Orion (after all, who can... or wants to?), I can say that this update adds a lot of keep fortification/siege elements to both the Freeps and the Creeps, allowing each side to run missions that greatly influence how long they can hold a keep... or lose it.
Annuvin - As for the future(tm)... no comment. ;)

LBeff - *Tek1580* From an exploring point of view with such a beautifully graphical game can flying mounts ever be developed?
LOTRO_Scenario - The world we've designed isn't very well suited for flying mounts or flying travel routes. Also, it is difficult to justify flying mounts lore-wise.
LOTRO_Scenario - Eagles, for example, are particularly proud and have only allowed others to ride on them under the most dire of circumstances (and flying from Rivendell to Bree in order to play a round of Chicken-hockey isn't exactly dire).

LBeff - *Witchchild* What can you tell us about Book 10 that you haven't already mentioned yet?
Rhidden - Isn't chicken play enough?
Rhidden - We have a lot of great stuff coming in book 10; reputation, MULTIPLE session play instances, public hunting dungeons, a new bartering system, additions to the epic story, and four new instances.

LBeff - *Rannon* Hey guys, first of all i would like to say you are doing a great job with the game! And here is my question. I played in closed beta, and i remember on night during a stress test there was an Orc invasion of Combe, It was pretty dang cool, any chance of having live events where stuff like that will take place?
Annuvin - It's funny you should mention that, as it's come up in discussion quite a few times (though the thought of being close to getting the Undefeated title, only to be backspawned by some random orc is daunting). Our goal is to keep
Annuvin - adding more and more events (both scheduled and live-op'd) into the game, until eventually, something new is happening every day. So, while our liveops may be different from Beta, you can expect that they'll be present.

LBeff - *Adder* Are there any plans on keeping Hobnonigans in game, and if so, is it being reworked to eliminate the numerous bugs (especially the out-of-bounds chicken loop) that have made the game unplayable?
LOTRO_Amlug - So the bugs in Hobnanigans are most definitely being fixed for the next time Hobnanigans gets played. In terms of whether or not it is going to be a more regular thing, I, for one, am pushing hard for it. Only time will tell though so stay tuned...

LBeff - *Aegaborn* Thank you for all your hard work and making helegrod a great instance to raid in, my question is when is the expected date of the class items to be fully implimented?
Annuvin - *Aegaborn*Well, here's the thing... the class sets are fully implemented, but most of them aren't in Helegrod. They are in a very rare spawn on landscape... at a rate that's very seldomly seen. You can expect them to be more common in Book 10.
Annuvin - We're also bumping their stats, to make them more epic.

LBeff - *Presto* when can we fish?
Rhidden - When we get fishing poles
LOTRO_Patience - We're going to have fishing! Right, team? WE'LL HAVE FISHING, RIGHT?!
LOTRO_Saffron - We LOVE fishing!
Rhidden - Catch a player a fish...
LOTRO_Patience - Fishing... My precioussss...

LBeff - *afira1* ok so housing....will we be able to decorate it..put our items we gain in game in it for decoration,,also use it for storage and have a vendor maybe?? also have ppl over to have parties in it?? thx
LOTRO_Scenario - RE: afira1/Housing - That's a lot of little questions. Let see... Yes, you will be able to decorate your house. What exactly you will be able to use to decorate the house is still being determined at this time. Yes, you will be able to use it for storage. And, if you want to have people over to party, you will certainly be able to do that.

LBeff - *Ryvick* Any planned additions to the Guardian skills planned for the future?
LOTRO_Patience - Annuvin's typing :D
Annuvin - Ahh, the Guardian. So, we plan on revisiting him/her soon in our "Month of" push. As for when... well, that's a crapshoot. We have 4 classes left, if we're going in rotation. I think we have the Loremaster, the Champion, the Champion, the Burglar, and... the Champion. So, there you have it!
Annuvin - Seriously, all of our classes will be getting some love. I think the next two up are the Loremaster and the Minstrel, but don't quote me.

LBeff - *Witchchild* What are the goals and/or rewards for chickenplay? Also, why chickens?
Rhidden - The goals for chicken play are to have fun and to experience something other than your daily grind. The rewards for chicken play are all cosmetic so they will be just as ‘valuable’ no matter what your level.
Rhidden - In the final session for chicken play you will even be able to earn density points!
LOTRO_Patience - Hahahaha
LOTRO_Patience - They make you heavier.
Rhidden - heh
LOTRO_Patience - Increase your falling damage..
Rhidden - destiny
LOTRO_Patience - OH
Rhidden - Why chickens... because it was much more fun than slug play.

LBeff - *Rash* are there any plans for new classes or races in upcomming expansions?
Annuvin - Yes.
Annuvin - Plans... we got 'em! Right now I'm up to my eyes in 'plans'... sadly, the work gnomes aren't making those plans a reality, so some of those plans aren't going to come to fruition. Regardless, I can almost GUARANTEE that we'll have something similar to a new race and/or a new class in the future.

LBeff - *Boddington* Are there any plans to allow players to experience events in Middle Earth's past, perhaps in the form of session play? Also, how awesome is it that the BoSox are 10 games up in the AL East! Lotro rocks!
LOTRO_Patience - Go Sox!
Rhidden - It is definitely something that we would love to do in the future. Our first implementation of session play is our proving grounds for the system. If it turns out to work and is well received then you might see flashbacks sometime in the future...
Rhidden - wait, does that mean you will play a session about today... hmmm, I just blew my own mind

LBeff - *H1cks* Other than adding Book 10 quests, what is the focus of the book 10 update?
Annuvin - Hmm. Well, it's hard to point to the "focus" of any of our updates, as they typically add "more". How can one focus on just "more"? Perhaps by adding "more" to your quest journal... maybe to your storage... maybe to your 'density points'. That has the added benefit of adding both to your weight, and some might argue, your mass.
Annuvin - So, as for focus... Hrm. What was the question again?
Annuvin - Oh yeah! Focus! So, we're focusing on giving you more reasons to play.

LBeff - *Adder* Can you tell us anymore about the expanded storage coming in Book 10?
LOTRO_Scenario - With Book 10, you will have the ability to purchase additional storage containers from your friendly neighborhood vaultkeeper. Each container is equivalent to a single inventory pack in size. You can purchase the first couple of upgrades at any level, but to access them all, you'll need to hit specific levels first.

LBeff - Lava* Appart from session play, what else can we expect to see in your next content addition, will it be something you've yet again put so much love into :D as much as you love say... your hot pockets?
LOTRO_Amlug - Nothing, and I repeat, -nothing- can be as wonderful and full of love as hot pockets! But yes, we are pretty proud of some of the new things that we are working on in the upcoming Books! All I can say is that there are a lot of people on Isengard loving the new stuff as much as we do!
LOTRO_Amlug - For those interested:
LOTRO_Amlug - http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=27461
LOTRO_Patience - Hot Pockets add to your density points if you eat them often. :D

LBeff - *Lava* What Areas of middle-earth can we hope to see in the distant future, not asking for anything to specific, but what exactly has been flying around the drawing board so to speak?
LOTRO_Saffron - Scenario is typing. smiley
LOTRO_Scenario - Not as slowly as Tens though.
LOTRO_Scenario - Hey Lava. For Book 10, we are finishing off our work in Evendim and opening the gates to Annuminas. We'll also be opening the way to one of the hinted at locations on our map (though it won't be a full region). Going forward, we are looking towards Eregion. Outside of that, almost anywhere in Eriador is fair game and we'll get there as we are able.

LBeff - *Ansury* What direction/class role do you see champions heading in? Are we going to be a aoe/dps class or are we going to be a secondary tank? Or will we be allowed to do either based on how we choose our gear, traits, class skills?
Annuvin - Ahh, the Champion. We're committed to making sure that each class has an area they can excel in. With that said, the Champion has a lot going for him right now. I think it would be safe to say that the Champion has AOEDPS "in check", so to speak. As for the other aspects (secondary tank/single DPS) we want to ensure that traits are
Annuvin - useful/flexible, so those avenues will never be cut off either, though they probably won't be as great as their AOE skills, barring appropriate gear and traits.

LBeff - *Zanelas* You have already mentioned that hunter is the next class to get 40+ skills. Any preview as to what some of these skills might do?
Annuvin - Well, the first skill to come to mind is: OMG, biggest single target damage skill in the world.
Annuvin - Other than that, it's not to exciting. ;)

LBeff - *stuartmedium* My kinship briefly discussed Mordor last night. It is my feeling it will be MPvP. One of my Kin completly disagreed stating it would ruin the lore. I retorted by saying only as far as the gate. That seemed to satisfy him. What style, or styles, of play will Mordor encompass, if you can say?
Rhidden - Mordor will be all about the peeps, chicken play ftw!
LOTRO_Patience - FISHING!!! You can fish and get density points!!
LOTRO_Scenario - Fishing in Mordor? I dunno Patience, wwSd?
LOTRO_Amlug - Mordor will have bouncing hotpockets that follow you around and drain your density
LOTRO_Scenario - (what would Sauron do?)
LOTRO_Patience - No, no, they GIVE you density!
Annuvin - Plans! We got 'em!
Annuvin - Seriously.
LOTRO_Patience - Maybe you can fish for the hot pockets!!
Annuvin - (now you know what I have to deal with.)
LOTRO_Saffron - I think Sauron would want us to fish for hot pockets and get awarded density points!
LOTRO_Scenario - Can I have one?
LOTRO_Scenario - Plan that is.
LOTRO_Amlug - No, no, no.. there will be chickens eating your hotpockets and sauron will help you stop them.
Rhidden - He would most likely go fishing, for chicken hot pockets.
LOTRO_Saffron - Oh! I thought you meant a fish or a hot pocket.
Annuvin - Ahh Mordor.
LOTRO_Patience - Okay.
LOTRO_Patience - I think we're done.. Stuart, we're so far out from Mordor, no one's really sure yet.
Rhidden - but most likely chicken play
LOTRO_Amlug - Mordor is a glimmer in a flaming eye of a chicken...
LOTRO_Saffron - That's deep.
LOTRO_Amlug - deeper than a hotpocket?
LOTRO_Saffron - Not that deep.
Annuvin - Deeper than a chest wound.
LOTRO_Amlug - but not deeper than a fishing hole

LBeff - *Vall* Player Joe Casual wants Hoartusk's Horn for instance, so with Mrs. Joe Casual they venture off to MM and attempt to track the elusive beast. Couple of hours later (ouch), Hoartusk is seen (yay!). Our heroes move in for the kill, but alas, John Hardcore and his possy tag poor Hoartusk first, leaving Mr. & Mrs. Casual frustrated. What is being done about obtaining these Tier X crafting items?
LOTRO_Patience - This is the last question, everyone. Sorry. :)
LOTRO_Patience - Can someone please answer Vall's question? Someone who's not dying laughing?
LOTRO_Patience - You think it's bad in the chatroom... you should hear it here :D
Annuvin - For Book 10, we spread the wealth, so to speak. Now Mr Casual and his lifepartner can roll around in the MM, killing named wildlife, and get drops they can use for rare crafting items. Gone are the days where Mr Hardcore
Annuvin - (and his lifepartner) will camp single creatures, effectively DNS'ing Mr Casual, and making him gnash his teeth, and rend his hair. At least, I hope that stops... it's not healthy for the hairline, after all.
Annuvin - (Look, I make no assumptions)

LBeff - That's it for this one folks! Thanks for joining us here on Stratics IRC, the logs will be up on http://lotro.stratics.com/ shortly. Feel free to join #lotro for open discussion. Be sure to come by next time!

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:33:25 AM

Stratics House of Commons chat. My highlights:

• Book 10- Being able to purchase more Vault space (system sounds like WoW. Good ideas should compel emulation)
  • Book 10- New types of horses, different colors, harder to be knocked off.
  • Book 10- To Hunter and Champion is given a look similar to what Captains got in Book 9 (Minstrel and LM may be next).
  • Book 10- Opening gates to Annuminas (on the shore of Evendim, once capital of Arnor).
  • Book 11- Housing. In instantiated neighborhoods with houses of different sizes. They can be decorated. They can have stuff stored in them.
---------------------

I assumed item 2 was meant to be "To Hunter and Captain is given a look similiar to what Champions got in Book 9".

And I wonder what Annuminas will add to the game. I noticed they said they're adding instances but not much about any other quests. Hmmmm....

Looks...interesting.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:21:29 AM

Cancelled today.  Maybe I'll come back once the possible LM changes go into effect.  At this rate, it will be months still, I don't feel like paying $10/month to play a broken class, and don't want to reroll.

Crafting is meant to be nothing but a money sink, and I don't see that changing.  Monster play needs a great deal of work.  Either of those two things could keep me in the game if they were toprate but they alas, they are not.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:44:00 AM

Crafting is meant to be nothing but a money sink, and I don't see that changing.  Monster play needs a great deal of work.  Either of those two things could keep me in the game if they were toprate but they alas, they are not.

In all fairness pvp was never a focus of the game so having monster play at all is a surprise. Crafting is already due to be worked on.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 09:49:44 AM

Yes, I know.  My only point was that despite playing a broken class, I could be enticed into staying if either of those two (crafting or pvp) were sufficiently strong.  They aren't.  3 strikes, and I'm outtahere.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 01:09:14 PM

Yes, I know.  My only point was that despite playing a broken class, I could be enticed into staying if either of those two (crafting or pvp) were sufficiently strong.  They aren't.  3 strikes, and I'm outtahere.
I think this game has a pretty good future. They seem to have enough of a sub-base, and enough retention rate, to slowly add in the things that are missing or not working right.

Of course, that's what people said about Vanguard. :)

Still, LoTRO has a solid base and a lot of promise, and is playable in it's launch state -- more than Vanguard. It'll be interesting to see what it's like in a year.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 01:50:53 PM

I agree. I feel LoTRO is directly in line with Turbine's core competency of feeding a completed engine. I'm actually impressed they're trying so many other things (Monster play, critter play, PvP, Housing). Otherwise this should be a relative cakewalk, since they mostly just need to spend the next few years retelling ingame the story written 50 years ago. Heck, maybe that's why they can be so creative (relatively speaking) on the other things.

For now this travels a very parallel path to WoW. But I think in time it'll veer off, have a comfortable profitable niche of players not interested in whatever becomes of WoW.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 07:12:27 PM

I agree. I feel LoTRO is directly in line with Turbine's core competency of feeding a completed engine. I'm actually impressed they're trying so many other things (Monster play, critter play, PvP, Housing). Otherwise this should be a relative cakewalk, since they mostly just need to spend the next few years retelling ingame the story written 50 years ago. Heck, maybe that's why they can be so creative (relatively speaking) on the other things.

For now this travels a very parallel path to WoW. But I think in time it'll veer off, have a comfortable profitable niche of players not interested in whatever becomes of WoW.

I think it may just be wishful thinking however. My usual metric is my friends list and how long until people disappear from said list, and it's remarkably quick in this game. The odd thing is, in the game, people I added to my friends list showed up for a few days - a week or so after then never logged in again. Not something you might expect, if like me you tell them you're adding them to your friends list
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 08:22:44 PM

I think it may just be wishful thinking however. My usual metric is my friends list and how long until people disappear from said list, and it's remarkably quick in this game. The odd thing is, in the game, people I added to my friends list showed up for a few days - a week or so after then never logged in again. Not something you might expect, if like me you tell them you're adding them to your friends list

Seen the same thing, even with some old friends. Seems like quick burnout here.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 03:41:03 AM

It isn't too bad. Some people just don't like the mechanics or think they can get a better experience elsewhere. It's not like this is Horizons or Vanguard. Slayerik, did you even try LOTRO? I keep seeing you trolling the AoC boards so much that I have trouble believing you paid $45.99 for LOTRO when AoC is just around the corner.

Personally, I like it. I had taken a break for awhile because the f13 guild had fallen to shit and I wasn't really grouping (at 24 it's mostly solo play), but after I joined a better guild, I've been having more fun.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 05:45:57 AM

It isn't too bad. Some people just don't like the mechanics or think they can get a better experience elsewhere. It's not like this is Horizons or Vanguard. Slayerik, did you even try LOTRO? I keep seeing you trolling the AoC boards so much that I have trouble believing you paid $45.99 for LOTRO when AoC is just around the corner.

Personally, I like it. I had taken a break for awhile because the f13 guild had fallen to shit and I wasn't really grouping (at 24 it's mostly solo play), but after I joined a better guild, I've been having more fun.

I have a 26 guardian that i cant get myself to log in with, cause all my friends are gone. I'm actually ok with the mechanics of the game and it is a beautiful world. And the deed system is pretty cool, as well as conjunctions.

And I needed something to hold me over, I'm an MMO whore at heart. And WTF do you know about my financial status anyways? ;) There are many cool things about this game, I just found it took about a month for my buds to kinda just drop it. Maybe if Nix starts playing again I'll rock it out, but just me and the wife is kinda....meh.

The funny thing is, the music system gets me to log in more than anything. I converted a "Jessica" (by Allman Brothers Band) midi to ABC file and it is friggin sweet. I have probably 20 songs I like to play in the Bree crafting hall when I'm bored. Mario theme on the horn, as well as La Bamba are cool....the old Ultima Song "Stones" (still waiting for someone to recognize it, i converted it myself), and the lute for dust in the wind, Stairway, Indiana Jones theme, Star Spangled Banner, Braveheart theme, etc.

And if by trolling AoC forums you mean posting in F13's AoC beta thread, you are correct. I have posted maybe twice on the official forums and dont visit very often.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:51:13 AM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 06:15:04 AM

the f13 guild had fallen to shit

That's par for the course for f13 guilds, hence that bit of discontent when others hedged their bets and rolled on different servers.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 06:29:59 AM

I've heard a lot of concerns about Guardians and Champions. I'd be pretty interested in knowing if there's a corrolation between those who quit and what class they played.

Back to the main point though.

LoTRO more quickly showed a fundamental dichotomy between MMO fanbois and people who like to play an MMO. I consider myself both btw.

MMO fanbois jump to every new big budget opportunity assuming that no matter who did it, the game has to be better that whatever they played. Given the style of LoTRO, it basically was hoped to be WoW 2.0. It isn't in most ways that matter to people who loved WoW, and that sucks for these people because they are burned out on WoW. They aren't looking for something different. They were looking for something better.

Meanwhile, all of these games that we all have been through have gained and kept a healthy chunk of people that couldn't care any less about any other game that preceeds or follows. Look at UO or SWG or EQ2. We may not meet these people, and therefore they won't show up on our Friends list. But they are there and they play differently.

They are not going to Raid. There aren't big enough clumps of them. But this is fine because they level very slowly, not even asking questions of developers about how long it takes to reach the cap. And they sure as hell don't read the official boards. That's left for the MMO fanbois who didn't get stroked by what they wanted :)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 06:31:52 AM

the f13 guild had fallen to shit

That's par for the course for f13 guilds, hence that bit of discontent when others hedged their bets and rolled on different servers.

Yep. F13 is so jaded that guilds last maybe a month if you're lucky. It's quite frustrating. So far my kinship is doing fine and we've actually gained members. One thing I've noticed is that LOTRO, so far, tends to turn off hard core gamers. Casual gamers seem to love it. As do lore nerds.

I'm going to try monster play at 50. On the official forums for my server (Landroval) I keep reading posts about these big epic battles and it sounds kind of cool.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 07:04:27 AM

Riggs, what server? You know I have been itching for a fight with ya! :)

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 10:50:59 PM

I'm going to try monster play at 50. On the official forums for my server (Landroval) I keep reading posts about these big epic battles and it sounds kind of cool.

If you loved milegate camping in DAoC, you'll love Creeps vs. Freeps.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 04:47:09 AM

And if by trolling AoC forums you mean posting in F13's AoC beta thread, you are correct. I have posted maybe twice on the official forums and dont visit very often.

I didn't call you stupid you know; who the hell would ever subject themselves to official forums? Yeesh. But yes, you troll the AoC beta thread :P

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Hound
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 08:03:18 AM

Cancelled today.  Maybe I'll come back once the possible LM changes go into effect.  At this rate, it will be months still, I don't feel like paying $10/month to play a broken class, and don't want to reroll.

No offense meant but LM's are far from broken. A properly played LM can both solo effectively and are absolutely awesome in a group when played correctly. I can solo pretty well with my 22 LM but still am not worth a shit in a group, however I have grouped with a couple of LM's who made my jaw drop. Also grouped with a high 40's LM this morning who was not worth a crap, solo or group wise. They are just a hard class to play well, but if done right are fricking awesome.

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
gravdiggr
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 10:01:04 AM

No offense meant but LM's are far from broken. A properly played LM can both solo effectively and are absolutely awesome in a group when played correctly. I can solo pretty well with my 22 LM but still am not worth a shit in a group, however I have grouped with a couple of LM's who made my jaw drop. Also grouped with a high 40's LM this morning who was not worth a crap, solo or group wise. They are just a hard class to play well, but if done right are fricking awesome.

I have to second the comment. I've been duoing with a LRM friend of mine. We are able to do group quests with only us 2 that groups of 6 happen to fail. The lrm basically remind me of the good old enchanter back in EQ1. You have almost the same amount of total control over fights.

Actually, my friend was solo killing elite mobs with 10k hp the other day.

However, they stop having new skills at 38, which can be pretty depressing.

I can easily understand however, why people find the lrm weak. Most people grab him thinking he is going to be a massive DPS machine like wizards in other games. If only they knew it is the hunter role, you'd see less comment about their perceived strength.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 01:03:06 PM

I appreciate the comments, but while LMs are ok in some situations, they are far, far from a powerful class, and there are massive differences in the levels, in that some level ranges are fine and others are horrid.  My LM now is 32, and is a heck of a lot weaker than my LM at 22 was.

Now, maybe I hit a bad patch.  Or maybe LMs are broken.

Notice that almost nobody plays them?

I realize that LMs are not a huge burst dps class, and I do know how to play one.  Perhaps I should say they are disappointing, rather than broken.

How often does one hear - "Group looking for LM for -----"?  Not that I care, particularly, I'm not interested in grouping so much as soloing.  But soloing at 32 is very painful.  Duoing is fine, but then, the weaknesses of solo LM aren't particularly apparent when duoing.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 01:59:32 PM

How often does one hear - "Group looking for LM for -----"?  Not that I care, particularly, I'm not interested in grouping so much as soloing.  But soloing at 32 is very painful.  Duoing is fine, but then, the weaknesses of solo LM aren't particularly apparent when duoing.

After Minstrels and Guardians Loremasters are the class I see asked for most often in looking for fellowship channel. I don't know if my server is just smarter about their uses or what but I do see it.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 02:40:26 PM

However, they stop having new skills at 38, which can be pretty depressing.

Agreed though it's a problem with all classes I think. not just lm. My guardian didn't  get much past 38 either.

I can easily understand however, why people find the lrm weak. Most people grab him thinking he is going to be a massive DPS machine like wizards in other games. If only they knew it is the hunter role, you'd see less comment about their perceived strength.
And a lot of ppl aren't used to playing a crowd control/debuff class too. Especially the ones that would pick mage to boom without any research
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 09:25:17 PM

I've seen LF Healer (which includes lore masters), but that's the only reason I've seen people looking for them.  They're the class people try to get when no minstrel is available and they have another captain/lore master already.

And pet classes are the last class that 99% of pickup groups should actively recruit.  The average player doesn't seem to know to put their pet on passive (in any mmorpg) when grouping, and invariably pulls a train onto the fellowship.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 06:43:48 AM

Landroval though I haven't started yet. Next week they're having an event to get some new monster players set up with some map or other and I may do that. Other than that I'll hold off on Monster Play until I hit 50 and probably until I have a good amount of gold ground out for my house in the fall. I'm an achiever well before I'm a killer.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 07:16:40 AM

Landroval though I haven't started yet. Next week they're having an event to get some new monster players set up with some map or other and I may do that. Other than that I'll hold off on Monster Play until I hit 50 and probably until I have a good amount of gold ground out for my house in the fall. I'm an achiever well before I'm a killer.

Hehe, just messing with ya mate. Good luck on ze grindage.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 08:03:25 AM

Well, I'm weird. I obsess on getting to max level and then getting lots of cash for stuff I want. Then I do pvp stuff. It's how I did it in WOW too. Once I had my horse and stuff I was on the battlefields fairly consistently until I got bored of them.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 12:04:03 PM

Well, I'm weird. I obsess on getting to max level and then getting lots of cash for stuff I want. Then I do pvp stuff. It's how I did it in WOW too. Once I had my horse and stuff I was on the battlefields fairly consistently until I got bored of them.

To each is own. My usual plan of attack is only do shit that allows me to get to max level as fast as possible, then start PVPing. Usually, after a while I realize that I demolished the content just to hurry and get to the end-game and I kinda regret it, but it never changes...I still do this every time.

In UO, I never cared to have a large house, I would settle for a room in a guild tower or a small house to stash loot. Then I would make just enough money to afford me GM gear and regs (if I hadnt looted enough of them already). It is nice, however, to get into PVP having good gear and resources behind you. It makes sense really, I just never had the patience to build up like you are able to.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 11:52:36 PM

I never really feel any pull to the last level, generally because I realize that the game at that level requires too much from me, far more than the progression to get there. The only exception to this was WoW BGs, where at their height (a few months leading up to BC launch), I could get into some quick AB or WSG action almost the moment I logged in, gain some points and eventually buy something with them. Doing that in 30 minute increments was slow as shit but that was the only option I had, lacking the time (nor will, honestly) for multi-hour raids multiple times a week.

Raiding holds no appeal to me. I haven't tried Monster Play yet here either. Maybe I will someday, but the combat system in LoTRO is not as fun for me as WoW's was, so I don't know how much of the sort of PvP action I'm looking for I'll get.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 06:34:41 AM

I never really feel any pull to the last level, generally because I realize that the game at that level requires too much from me, far more than the progression to get there. The only exception to this was WoW BGs, where at their height (a few months leading up to BC launch), I could get into some quick AB or WSG action almost the moment I logged in, gain some points and eventually buy something with them. Doing that in 30 minute increments was slow as shit but that was the only option I had, lacking the time (nor will, honestly) for multi-hour raids multiple times a week.

Raiding holds no appeal to me. I haven't tried Monster Play yet here either. Maybe I will someday, but the combat system in LoTRO is not as fun for me as WoW's was, so I don't know how much of the sort of PvP action I'm looking for I'll get.

From what I hear Monster Play is loads of fun and similiar to DAOCs frontier rvr with keeps you have to take and such.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007, 07:11:52 AM

I have been dabbling in the monster play a bit the last few nights - my warg is still pretty weak.  Is there a point to taking keeps, other than getting territory?  It just kind of seems pointless...unlike Planetside where taking bases and forts had a purpose (new units, new spawn points, etc).
zubey
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 19, 2007, 07:32:37 AM

Taking keeps completes deeds/quests for monsters.  And most of the deeds seem to give you maps which help you port around the Ettenmoors quickly.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 19, 2007, 07:49:44 AM

So after you get you maps to the various keeps, it becomes a bit pointless?  Other than the territory gained, and the ability to teleport to those areas. Not complaining about it really, fighting for keeps is still better than just open air fighting...but it seems they should have more incentive to capture and hold keeps.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 08:18:09 AM

So after you get you maps to the various keeps, it becomes a bit pointless?  Other than the territory gained, and the ability to teleport to those areas. Not complaining about it really, fighting for keeps is still better than just open air fighting...but it seems they should have more incentive to capture and hold keeps.

I've not done too much monster play, but maybe if you lose the keep, you can't use its associated map?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 08:31:10 AM

for those of you on servers other than Landroval:

A huge issue on Landroval is that the creeps are incredibly paranoid about spies, IE freep players who log on and tell people in vent what the creeps are doing. It's so bad that apparently new players have problems getting into raids and help with quests and stuff.

Is this just my server or are you guys seeing it to? Apparently, all it takes is a couple of surprise creep attacks on your group for you to be labeled a spy and booted from the group.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 08:38:44 AM

I am on silverlode, and in OOC I do hear them talk about spies as well.  Not extreme paranoia by any means, but have seen it mentioned. Some character was asking why he had another creep always on autofollow on him, everyone responding in unison that it is most likely a spy.  Cheap tatics in PvP, I would think it would take the fun out of it, but that's the nature of PvP and e-peens.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Stratics House of Commons chat with Turbine  
Jump to: