Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:08:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Stratics House of Commons chat with Turbine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stratics House of Commons chat with Turbine  (Read 14910 times)
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 10:02:32 PM

So after you get you maps to the various keeps, it becomes a bit pointless?  Other than the territory gained, and the ability to teleport to those areas. Not complaining about it really, fighting for keeps is still better than just open air fighting...but it seems they should have more incentive to capture and hold keeps.
Ideally the game itself is supposed to be fun... LOTRO didn't manage that for me, and when I found out it was slow and pointless I gave up. Actually that's been my problem with 90% of PvP.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 20, 2007, 08:50:40 AM

Too early to comment on PvP in LOTRO for me as of yet.  I have been basically soloing a bit to build up my warg a little first.  I have joined a couple of creep raids to check out the action, but it was slow going.....you need to vastly outnumber the freeps before anything happens. Which I think is the crux of the problem that people complain about on the boards, the creeps are way underpowered compared to freeps.  Obviously that's by design, but I am not sure it is playing out as the devs envisioned.
Hound
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 21, 2007, 05:51:16 AM

Too early to comment on PvP in LOTRO for me as of yet.  I have been basically soloing a bit to build up my warg a little first.  I have joined a couple of creep raids to check out the action, but it was slow going.....you need to vastly outnumber the freeps before anything happens. Which I think is the crux of the problem that people complain about on the boards, the creeps are way underpowered compared to freeps.  Obviously that's by design, but I am not sure it is playing out as the devs envisioned.

The book 10 update with trolls and rangers is meant to correct that. The writer at Warcry did a lot better job of explaining how it works than I can so I will be lazy and quote him

http://lotro.warcry.com/news/view/75055-E3-Look-Forward-Book-10

Monster Play, one of the surprise hits of LotRO, is also getting some love. They've added some much needed, sliding balancers to the area. For the good guys, there are up to seven slots available for players to join the fight as powerful Rangers. For the creatures, a seven trolls are to be made available. Whether or not these characters are available depends on the status of the battle. If the humans are losing, then the Rangers open up. If the creatures are down, then the Trolls come up. Unlike other games that use NPCs to balance, Turbine has elected to let players police themselves. An NPC simply allows players to check in as one or the other as appropriate. When the slots are full or unnecessary, that NPC just shuts up and doesn't offer the option.

The Rangers and Trolls each cost 5,000 Destiny Points to play and in the interests of everyone getting their turn, play time is limited to one hour. From the look of things though, it will be worth it. We were not able to see the Ranger, but the Troll looked like a lot of fun. They're huge, humans are only leg high, and really gave the feeling that the movies evoked during that epic battle. The troll is all about doing damage to multiple enemies at once, while they told us the Ranger will concentrate (with his bow) on single targets. Prepare for sniper fire!

The great equalizers should balance out the Monster Play areas and provide a lot of fun for those lucky enough to get in the creature's shoes for an hour.

This also gives them the ability to readjust easily by increasing the number of specials available and or reducing the costs of playing the specials. Damned if I know if it will work, but at least they7 recognize the problem and are trying a different approach other than beefing up the creeps or god forbid trying to re balance the regular player characters.

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
gravdiggr
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 23, 2007, 07:25:52 AM

I finally went to play on the overpowered side this weekend.
As a monster, your whole life is about seeing your life drop and knowing that it will probably never go up until you die. You also cheer like crazy when you get a player stupid enough to go toward your group and you finally kill one.

Actually, the pvp in this game is similar on both side (except the fact that you kill death ratio as a player is around 30:1)
For monsters, wargs choose a target, pounce it and the other 9 wargs appear to kill that player.
For players, the burglar choose a target, stun it and the assist train kills that target.

In other words, it is a game of stealth and range, nothing else.

The funny thing is that the monsters have obviously levelled up to 40 a player on our server to spy on the strategies.

Also, i expect the trolls/rangers to be available based on the number of keep under control by each side. Which means that you will actually want to avoid taking keeps even more than it is right now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:27:05 AM by gravdiggr »
Hound
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 23, 2007, 02:06:06 PM

Also, i expect the trolls/rangers to be available based on the number of keep under control by each side. Which means that you will actually want to avoid taking keeps even more than it is right now.

If I were them I start with number of players logged in by each team, then watch the slope of the defeat stats. Whichever side that was getting it's ass kicked even if it had superior numbers is obviously one needing the boost. Keep ownership would be too easily abused as you pointed out. Also think about some of the possible scenarios that could evolve around a server maintenance period. Pure player numbers would not work alone either given that some in DAoC good strategy and the right combo of classes could overwhelm superior numbers.The only thing that can work is something that can watching the defeat numbers and try to add equalization factors.

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Stratics House of Commons chat with Turbine  
Jump to: