Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Katie Blitz Team....Flavor of issue 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Katie Blitz Team....Flavor of issue  (Read 9398 times)
AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

on: July 09, 2007, 04:46:27 PM

Cannot help but think this is an absolute breakdown in Developer Design.

With Issue 10, the new flavor is everyone running Katie Hannon Task Forces/Trials.

When before Issue 10 you never heard it so often forming in the channels.

I think an issue like this is worthy of an emergency Publish to remove, to prevent circumventing of farming.

It does not help the health of the game.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 05:40:04 PM

It's also quite unfair to the Villain side since they don't have a comparable way to quickly farm rare recipes. However the devs have known about it since the issue has been out so if hasn't been patched by now they are either waiting for I10 or don't think it's enough of a problem to warrant fixing.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:43:17 PM

I can help, I speak newbESL.
The devs made a massive change to the game, and didn't test everything before pushing issue 9 (and inventions) live.

With Issue 10, the new flavor is everyone running Katie Hannon Task Forces/Trials.

The devs said they're going to nerf the Katie Hannon TF when they roll out Issue 10. Either that or it's been nerfed on the test server.
Either way, on the live servers, people are exploiting the TF as often as possible until the nerf arrives with Issue 10.

(For those not in the know, the Katie TF can be finished in a very short time, and your character is rewarded with a rare invention component.)

I think an issue like this is worthy of an emergency Publish to remove, to prevent circumventing of farming.

They'll fix this when they're good and ready. Have patience, grasshopper.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 11:22:12 PM

Hutch,

Please never work on a living enviroment ever, stick to projects you complete and have to ship out without any revisions ever. Stick to playing Single player Games, where changes aren't made. (unless the game was shipped broken and you need to patch it which we all know happens all the the time)

Fix it when their good and ready, Honestly wish I could beat you to a bloody pulp with that type of answer.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 01:04:11 AM

Hutch,

Please never work on a living enviroment ever, stick to projects you complete and have to ship out without any revisions ever. Stick to playing Single player Games, where changes aren't made. (unless the game was shipped broken and you need to patch it which we all know happens all the the time)

Fix it when their good and ready, Honestly wish I could beat you to a bloody pulp with that type of answer.

???Over-react much???

Katie Hannon is getting patched this issue - it's been formally announced and celebrated / mourned on the forums. It is still a quick way to get a rare recipe even after the change (which will now require you to fight Mary Macomber, an AV, 10 times to complete the mission and won't let you just fail it to move on).

However, players are learning that recipes mean nothing when you need rare salvage to make the recipe, or get a rare recipe no-one wants. Also, you can only farm it once per character for every 3 or 4 hours, so farming is restricted to some degree.

This issue isn't a game-breaker.

Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 07:16:09 AM

Hutch,

Very amusing.  Why is this game breaking, exactly?  So tons of "rare" recipes get circulated.  So what?  The VERY worst thing that can happen with this is that the "rarity" of said recipes is no longer an issue.  Big deal. 

Can you explain in what way this is game breaking?

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 07:24:21 AM

If you think economy is important, than spewing rares is bad.  But I don't think CoH has a real economy yet(not sure it should).  So no big deal.

"Me am play gods"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 07:28:49 AM

If you think economy is important, than spewing rares is bad.
Why is this bad for the economy?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 08:35:15 AM

Games typically balance items on scarcity and use economy to negotiate scarcity between players.  So spewing rares will make the economyy volatile while the economy rebalanced itself.  People invested in sections where the rares become common lose their investment to a developer flub.  Other sections of the economy will inflate as people, who would have spent it on the rares, spend it else where. Turbulence in the economy will cause turbulence in the game since things are tied together in a game with a good economy.

It's best to keep the economy stable, not that I think this applies to CoH.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 11:39:45 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 09:09:55 AM

Games typically balance items on scarcity and use economy to negotiate scarcity between players.  So spewing rares will make the economyy volatile while the economy rebalanced itself.  People invested in sections where the rares become common lose their investment to a developer flub.  Other sections of the economy will inflate as people, who would have spent it on the rares, spend it else where. Turbulence in the economy will cause turbulence in the game since things are tied together in a game with a good economy.

It's best to economy stable, not that I think this applies to CoH.

The changing rarity and value of products is part of what an Economy IS.  Hell, the real world economy is in constant flux as well. 

In what sense is this game-breaking?  Seriously. 

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 09:21:32 AM

No but I'm sure it pisses people off to think they bought something for 2 million when now it's 200,000.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 09:31:14 AM

Ya, no shit, economy is in flux. The rate of fluctuation is important.  There is a big difference an item losing 90% of its value in a day and losing 90% in a year.

Who the hell is saying it is game-breaking?  Don't be such a drama queen.

"Me am play gods"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 10:55:50 AM

Three weeks ago called. They want their whine back.

Quote from: teh patch notes
#  You must defeat Mary MacComber all ten times in order to progress the Katie Hannon Task Force.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 11:16:36 AM

Hutch,

ROFL Is that all you got? Turn in your handle. I hereby dub thee PredictableTrollBall.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 11:42:32 AM

Who the hell is saying it is game-breaking?  Don't be such a drama queen.

Statements like:
"I think an issue like this is worthy of an emergency Publish to remove, to prevent circumventing of farming."

and

"Cannot help but think this is an absolute breakdown in Developer Design."

sure suggest that SOMEONE considers this to be "OMG the Sky is falling!!" territory.

There is a big difference an item losing 90% of its value in a day and losing 90% in a year.

Because dramatic changes like that NEVER happen to the stock market, right?

Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 11:44:42 AM

No but I'm sure it pisses people off to think they bought something for 2 million when now it's 200,000.

In the same way that people are pissed off when powers and AT's get nerfed, sure.  Banking on "rarity" in an MMO is a fools errand. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 11:58:04 AM

Until Issue 9, CoX had no economy.  They couldn't mess it up when the issue which introduced it also added the recipes which are "destroying" it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 03:39:27 PM

No, with Issue 10 they're taking out the way to win the first mission by running away from it.

What the servers are currently _on_ is issue _9_.

Nice try trolling, though. It would work better if you could count.

--GF
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 10:23:37 PM

The rare recipe market is weak sauce anyway. It's the rare salvage market where you make / lose your money.

Except for costume recipes, which are getting revised in I10 anyway.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Katie Blitz Team....Flavor of issue  
Jump to: