Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Game Over 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game Over  (Read 10011 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: July 07, 2007, 02:33:59 PM

Hit level 50 today.

I yay-ed for about 2 minutes. Then went for some top-level shopping and treated me to some bad-ass armour, a shark-like weapon and the mandatory violet dye.

It took me 84 days of real life and 17 days and 2 hours of /played
For an average of 4 hours and 54 minutes a day of playing.

And now... uhm... now...

Darn. I hate MMORPGs, and I hate myself.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 04:49:09 PM

Heh, wow.  I'm still working on hitting lv 40 with my hunter, but I have not been playing daily and also working on an alt.

That said, having 4 characters with a combined level of 83 is pretty bad too.

So you're just a bit more catassy than me, and I'm by all descritptions a casual player.  Therefore, it's not too bad!

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 05:54:06 AM

He's just focused. And has the time. Congrats Falc!

I doubt I'll hit the max level here. WoW was the only game in which I've ever capped, which says something about how easy it is to do there, but no less a factor was the amount of time I had last year that I don't this, nor foresee dedicating in the future. I suspect AoC will come out before I hit 50, and that once I leave AoC, it won't be back to any existing MMO I go.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 11:52:54 AM

I suspect AoC will come out before I hit 50, and that once I leave AoC, it won't be back to any existing MMO I go.

So AoC is coming out before TR then.. and you're not even tempted to try TR at retail over a game you've only seen demo'd about 14 months ago?  Hrm.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 01:09:38 PM

I don't know when TR will actually launch, but I suspect it'll be before AoC, which is currently October 26 iirc.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 06:26:52 AM

Congrats!

I'm hoping to reach level 24 sometime this month. 

Or maybe next!

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 06:45:11 AM

Grats. I'm only level 38 on my main. (And 8,8,9 and 2 on my alts.)

If I were you I'd start farming for money so you can buy a house when they come out in the fall. I fully expect the level cap to be raised before the year is out as well so don't worry.

BTW, a purple female elf? Could you be any more of a transvestite?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 06:57:31 AM

Grats. I'm only level 38 on my main. (And 8,8,9 and 2 on my alts.)

If I were you I'd start farming for money so you can buy a house when they come out in the fall. I fully expect the level cap to be raised before the year is out as well so don't worry.

BTW, a purple female elf? Could you be any more of a transvestite?

That's no elf, that's a MAN  baby.

And nice job with the celebrity impersonation, that does look a bit like  Left eye. Well not as she looks today. that'd be more like one of the ring wraiths or a barrow wight.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 07:28:20 AM

That's no elf, that's a MAN  baby.

Exactly! And Riggswolfe, I AM a transvestite in RL. Well, kinda.

And nice job with the celebrity impersonation, that does look a bit like  Left eye. Well not as she looks today. that'd be more like one of the ring wraiths or a barrow wight.

<grin>

gravdiggr
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 07:48:52 AM

Just curious, did you have enough quests to level from 40 to 50 or did you farm for legendary book/pages for some of it ?
At 41, i had no solo quests left, a bunch of level 43 quests and a truckload of group quests left.
I started farming book/pages and i've ground 2 full levels out of it.

I have the impression that it was part of the design, i just want to see if it is the case. (that said, the quest Book are pretty good at giving lot of xp when you manage to find a semi competent group to do them, so perhaps that's why i was missing quests to level up).
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 08:04:15 AM

There's a good number of soloable quests until I'd say 45 - 46.. of course they are not enough to let you level just on those, and you need to "unlock" them which can be tricky (cause you often unlock a new bunch of 8 solo quests by completing a line of group quests, and you don't find out that until you actually do!).
The hardest part, as a soloer, is from 46 to 50. The long instances helps you if you get groups. But if you stick to yourself then prepare to gather up some destiny points for bonus xp and go grinding spiders in Himbar or Orcs (which drops 18 silvers each) just southeast of there.
I grinded the whole last level in 8 hours (in 2 sessions), with a full level of rest (blue) xp.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 08:06:14 AM by Falconeer »

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 08:51:48 AM

Speaking of Destiny Points:

Are there ways to gain Destiny points outside of the 200 awarded at each level? I look at some of those crazy rewards that cost 3,000 points and wonder just how one justifies spending 15 levels worth of points on one 30-minute buff :)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 08:54:38 AM

Speaking of Destiny Points:

Are there ways to gain Destiny points outside of the 200 awarded at each level? I look at some of those crazy rewards that cost 3,000 points and wonder just how one justifies spending 15 levels worth of points on one 30-minute buff :)

Monster play

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 10:41:48 AM

All the quests you complete as a creep awards you Destinies, from a minimum of 125 to a maximum of 3000 (highest I saw).

In a couple of hours I got about 4500 destinies 1 month ago. No idea if they thwarted it with the patch.

Point is, you gain Destinies with the creep and you spend those with the freep. But be warned that Destinies are the currency used to improve your creep skills too.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 10:46:34 AM

Back in beta, so it might have changed by now, you could create and delete creeps over and over but the points stayed in the shared slot.  So you just create the fast running scout class (some kind of wolf I think) and run the exploration quests for a whole bunch of points.  Poisoning the river is easy too.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 11:31:54 AM

Point is, you gain Destinies with the creep and you spend those with the freep.
What's a creep and a freep?
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 11:56:08 AM

Creep = monster, freep = free people (your regular character)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 01:17:16 PM

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!

So at level 50, it's Monster Play for Destiny Points.

Is there really anything so earth-shatteringly wonderful that ya just gotta have it? All I see is a whole bunch of minor boosts for 5, 15, or 30 minutes. I imagine it matters a lot in PvP, where every edge can make a good player even better. But otherwise?
schad
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 01:23:05 PM

Creeps use destiny points to buy skills and traits.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 01:28:43 PM

Are they permanent? Or more along the line of the temporary buffs?

And, is there just one common pool of Points, or is there a specific pool for each (Monster Destiny vs Free Destiny)?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 01:32:38 PM

Is there really anything so earth-shatteringly wonderful that ya just gotta have it? All I see is a whole bunch of minor boosts for 5, 15, or 30 minutes. I imagine it matters a lot in PvP, where every edge can make a good player even better. But otherwise?

Up to level 50, the Enhanced XP is awesome. Basically you're buying the equivalent of WOW rest.

After that, I wouldn't be surprised if Raiding guilds eventually start requiring destiny for some raids, assuming LOTRO gets Raid heavy in the future.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 01:33:13 PM

Are they permanent? Or more along the line of the temporary buffs?

And, is there just one common pool of Points, or is there a specific pool for each (Monster Destiny vs Free Destiny)?

One big pool, and I think it's across all of your toons. The creep stuff is permanent, like buying skills from your class trainer if you're a freep.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
schad
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 02:49:27 PM

One big pool, and I think it's across all of your toons. The creep stuff is permanent, like buying skills from your class trainer if you're a freep.

Your pool of destiny points is shared across all characters (freeps & creeps) in your account.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 04:05:05 PM

Ok cool. Thanks for the esplanation.

Quote from: Riggswolfe
Up to level 50, the Enhanced XP is awesome. Basically you're buying the equivalent of WOW rest.
Aye. If my life hadn't been so nuts since launch, I'd probably have dumped my points into this from day one. As it is, I haven't yet had to buy it :)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 09:18:19 PM

Grats on 50!  I'm stalling a bit with my Minstrel at 38.  Soloing is hard with him and I play on off-hours so it can be hard to group up.
Like you said, gotta knock out fellow quests to unlock solo quests.  I spend almost all of my time in Evendim.  Best thing to do is get a stable group and chew thru a single quest line as far as you can.
gravdiggr
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 08:13:46 AM

If you plan on getting your legendary skills, you could start farming at 39 for pages/book. By the time you get your books, you should be 45.
I'm almost to my 3rd level of pure grind and i'm 6/8 pages for my overpowered skill.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 08:15:54 AM

Can't you get them when you are 50?

"Me am play gods"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 08:40:15 AM

Legendary Skills? I have two of them and I must say they are (Champion's one) somewhat disappointing. I will eventually get the third sooner or later.

gravdiggr
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 10:11:58 AM

Can't you get them when you are 50?

I could get them at 50, but by then i wouldn't make any experience and the whole grind would be even more depressing.

Falc, the legendary skills are not all equal. On the hunter, one of them is a 15 seconds fear on a 30 second timer (which is huge considering the new options we get), another one is a targettable 5 target AE root. In both cases, it suddenly allow your dps guy some crowd control when needed.
Of course, we also have the amazing heal 1000 health and mana (outside of combat so totally useless).

I assume they'll do a pass on all those at some point. I was expecting champions to get a legendary skill that allowed them to make people bow around them instead of cheer.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 10:28:07 AM

Yeah, legendary skills vary wildly in utility. As a minstrel I have a combat rez which is a huge deal. Captains get it anyway, but for a class which didn't have it before, it is a very useful upgrade. The other I have at the moment is an AOE damage spell, which is still lower damage than an actual damage class can do and can only be used once every ten minutes or so. It's just a novelty.

I am also level 50 with my minstrel, and my quest log is still almost full. Thankfully, there's still a lot to do which has nothing to do with raids. And that's without the non-questing options such as crafting, getting deeds, monster play or the the bizarre stuff like learning new dances. And there's apparently more stuff to come (housing or being a chicken, however that works out), so I'm happy for now.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Game Over  
Jump to: