Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:07:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: 3 Red Rings Warranty. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 Red Rings Warranty.  (Read 25598 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: July 05, 2007, 01:28:19 PM

3 Red Rings Warranty.

From a press release blasted out a minute ago:
Microsoft Corp. today announced that it will expand its global Xbox 360™ warranty coverage. Any Xbox 360 customer who experiences a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights will now be covered by a three year warranty from date of purchase. All other existing Xbox 360 warranty policies remain in place.

That's rich.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 01:51:06 PM

And on the business side Microsoft says it will be taking a one billion dollar hit due to this.  They will probably take it out of petty cash.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 01:51:45 PM

Open Letter From Peter Moore

To our Xbox Community:

You've spoken, and we’ve heard you. Good service and a good customer experience are areas of the business that we care deeply about. And frankly, we've not been doing a good enough job.   

Some of you have expressed frustration with the customer experiences you have had with Xbox 360; frustration with having to return your console for service after receiving the general hardware error message on the console.

The majority of customers who own Xbox 360 consoles have had a terrific experience from their first day, and continue to, day in and day out. But when anyone questions the reliability of our product, or our commitment to our customers, it's something I take very seriously.

We have been following this issue closely, and with on-going testing have identified several factors that can cause a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. To address this issue, and as part of our ongoing work, we have already made certain improvements to the console.

We are also implementing some important policy changes intended to keep you in the game, worry-free.

As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing  today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date. We will also retroactively reimburse any of you who paid for repairs related to problems indicated by this error message in the past. In doing so, Microsoft stands behind its products and takes responsibility to ensure that every Xbox 360 console owner continues to have a fantastic gaming experience.

If we have let any of you down in the experience you have had with your Xbox 360, we sincerely apologize. We are taking responsibility and are making these changes to ensure that every Xbox 360 owner continues to have a great experience. 

This will take a few days to roll out globally, and I appreciate your continued patience as we launch this program. I've posted an FAQ that should address some additional questions, and we'll update it over the next few days.

I want to thank you, on behalf of all us at Microsoft, for your loyalty.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 02:35:48 PM

Wow, that's nuts.

I wonder if I even still have my receipt for my first-gen 360.

It still runs like a champ!

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 02:51:11 PM

Good for them. Unfortunately, it took the combined might of geek rage for months on end for them even to acknowledge there might be a problem.

schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 02:54:00 PM

Without the internet, they Never Would Have Fixed It.

Without the internet, no one would have had enough proof to Make Them Admit It.

Without the internet, the Wii probably would have been a failure.

Buzz is a powerful thing. Above we have 3 scenarios. Two of them are good uses of the internet, the other is the collective failing of good taste.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 02:54:48 PM

That's not a bug, it's a feature! You know, the hidden three year warranty!

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 03:02:48 PM

Buzz is a powerful thing. Above we have 3 scenarios. Two of them are good uses of the internet, the other is the collective failing of good taste.

With your avatar, that was almost zen-like, in quality of speech.

Kudos.

And what, you're saying the the 'Wii would like to play' commercials wouldn't have sold that thing? HOTCAKES, MAN. HOTCAKES.

EDIT: 'Without the internet, Nintendo would not have to pretend that they have an online strategy.' HO HO HO

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 03:35:24 PM

Oh, BURN.

Also, this is great news from MS. I especially like how they plan on reimbursing people.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 03:49:08 PM

Makes you wonder how many MS folks were lurking in the Xb360 failure thread...

Rumors of War
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 03:55:54 PM

I feel better now! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 04:06:11 PM

Wow, you somehow managed to shoehorn in a "Wii sucks" comment 5 posts into a topic about MS extending the 360 warranty.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 04:11:10 PM

Wow, you somehow managed to shoehorn in a "Wii sucks" comment 5 posts into a topic about MS extending the 360 warranty.

Hey, he can't help about being a Console Warrior!  Even though the Wii is glorious retrogoodness that also has those motion swingey things too.
(I bought the Wii for Virtual Console.  Its WELL worth it for legitimate retrogaming awesome. )

But on the upside, YOU FINALLY DID THE RIGHT THING MICROSOFT.
Wished they would have done this 6 months ago, but better late than never I guess.  Now I can actually play my system with some sense of ease.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 05:22:26 PM

I wonder if I even still have my receipt for my first-gen 360.

I found out eventually that you don't need it.  You'll just need to read off your serial number to the CSR at MS.  It really is a fairly painless procedure, you just need to go through some of their BS steps to ensure that you're not a retard.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 08:57:58 PM

Good going MS.  I hope they cover my kicking the 360 in the face for it scratching my discs.  This is my 2nd box also. 

I have to say the CS was top notch when I sent in my first one. Less than a 5 min call and it was easy to drop off. 
Joey
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 09:57:21 PM

I'm sure that securing future confidence in the MS brand was a major factor in this decision, but I won't be so cynical as to think that it was the ONLY reason. 

For owning up to a very real issue and taking responsibility, I commend them.

Bravo!

JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 02:12:41 AM

Doesn't EU consumer protection laws give us 3 years of warranty anyway? Not to mention that hardware issue signaled by console itself isn't hard to prove:)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 05:40:15 AM

Honest Question: has MSFT made a *profit* yet off anything with its Games/Xbox division?  BBC said in passing it hadn't, and I find that hard to believe, except I remember someone on MSNBC saying the same.  True?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 06:03:14 AM

I think that MSFTs last statement said that ~150% of their profit comes from their OS and Office divisions.  So, no.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 06:17:10 AM

Honest Question: has MSFT made a *profit* yet off anything with its Games/Xbox division?  BBC said in passing it hadn't, and I find that hard to believe, except I remember someone on MSNBC saying the same.  True?
The Xbox stuff is part of their Home and Entertainment "product segment" and they don't break down the individual products in that segment but yes that segment has been and is losing money. They expect to turn a profit sometime in 2008.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 07:17:56 AM

The Xbox stuff is part of their Home and Entertainment "product segment" and they don't break down the individual products in that segment but yes that segment has been and is losing money. They expect to turn a profit sometime in 2008.
Not anymore. Hohohohohohoho.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 07:33:56 AM

I wonder if the billion dollar hit was just due past repairs and now the cost of refunding people who had to pay for it or if this is some sort of accounting gimmick where they are putting the billion in reserve now for expected costs.  Because if they have to burn another billion every year to fix these pieces of crap they are never, ever going to profitable.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 07:34:53 AM

Not anymore. Hohohohohohoho.

Apparently, they charged the $1B against 2007 operating costs so they're claiming that their goal of profitability in 2008 is still on track.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 08:55:16 AM

X-Box is part of the "Home and entertainment" division.

You can find the latest numbers here
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 09:01:27 AM

Concise Statement: X-Box is part of the "Home and entertainment" division.

Sourced Addition: You can find the latest numbers here, meatbag.

FIFY

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 01:43:25 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 06:20:35 AM

Conclusion: This meatbag has been found wanting.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 08:15:50 AM

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 04:07:20 PM

The Wii would of become popular no matter what due to it's price and commercials.  Although I might agree on collective "bad taste" if you're refering to the game lineup.  I love the console but I wish they would stop making kiddie games.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 09:06:04 PM

man i want a 360 so bad, but i need to wait till this all blows over. i dont want to get the ring then do the waiting dance. you know the one.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #30 on: July 12, 2007, 09:59:22 AM

Just get one with a service plan, but they should have some new models out this fall if the rumors are to be trusted.  The new ones will use a 65nm process instead of 90nm(?) and will run cooler.  But just get it from Wal*Mart or Target (me rike Target) and buy the service plan for $29.95, then you can just trade it in before the three years are up for any reason you care to conjure.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: 3 Red Rings Warranty.  
Jump to: