Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Next Update - Session Play? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next Update - Session Play?  (Read 6651 times)
Bandit
Terracotta Army

on: July 03, 2007, 08:35:15 AM

Just announced, LOTRO in the next update will apparently let you play from the viewpoint of NPC's.  Their example playing as a chicken in the shire.  Obvious potential in this mechanic, I am pretty excited about this feature myself.

http://lotro.turbine.com/article/375

"Chicken play has a separate chat channel and chicken players will not be able to speak with regular players"

I can not wait to be a bad-ass chicken.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 08:37:39 AM by Bandit »
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:20:44 AM

Will the number of chickens be capped or can the world be swarmed by player-chickens?

I have never played WoW.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:06:01 AM

Lol. My first thought on this was "Wait, it's not April!"

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:47:10 AM

I thought it may be a joke or something as well.  Well a chicken may not be ideal to start with...I think the mechanic has a solid potential to tell the story of Middle-earth through NPCs and Animal NPCs eyes.  A fun side-bar.

Will the number of chickens be capped or can the world be swarmed by player-chickens?

Not sure, I couldn't be bothered to go through the entire thread.  I despise main forums, I might check the dev posts once in a while.  I think they are timed sessions though.  I did skim through the thread while looking at dev comments and it was a mix of good reactions and the expected "why spend valuable dev time to fix problems instead of this chickenshit" type posts.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:33:17 PM

I don't know what to say.  The more gay LotRO gets, the more I want to play it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hound
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 02:07:11 PM

I think the people at Turbine must be doing some hydroponic gardening. Well if nothing else it sure as fuck is original and oddly enticing in a very weird way.

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 03:55:07 PM

I can imagine entire guilds being formed around (role)playing different NPC factions. It might actually be a good time to leverage a group of players to create intelligent NPC uprisings and invasions just to spice things up. On the other hand, there could be some real potential for grief when the enemies become organized and hostile outside of the bounds of the regular AI.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 04:29:40 PM

Lol. My first thought on this was "Wait, it's not April!"

Heh, exactly what I was thinking.  I was like, "Ah, tommorow is the... wait, July."

Upon reading further, I must say that's actually kinda cool.  Working Radagast in there was a fine idea.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 04:43:41 PM

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 04:51:53 PM

"at least I have chicken" ...says Leeroy.

Now LotRO too.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 08:25:48 PM

Finally a game has come to satisfy my deepest desire to become a chicken!?

Moria before the end of the year, thats all I care about.  Gonna camp the Balrog spawn and get phat lewts.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 04:37:37 AM

would make the chicken avoidance tasks -- like the egg retrieval quest -- probably raid worthy.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 05:23:21 AM

Will you be able to do anything as an NPC (like being a Monster) or will you be on autopilot? I would assume the former, but being able to play one of these guys in public space is, err, interesting in its exploitability.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 09:35:08 AM

It sounds like they haven't hammered out a bit of the specifics because the forum replies from the LOTRO community rep are all very vague. They say your quests will be done in the real world and you'll be able to see people. You can't get beyond level 1 as a chicken, so you wouldn't be able to do much damage or be able to bother someone. You're a one hit kill for things outside the chicken session.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 10:18:11 AM

Will you be able to do anything as an NPC (like being a Monster) or will you be on autopilot? I would assume the former, but being able to play one of these guys in public space is, err, interesting in its exploitability.

Expand on this...what do mean by "anything" and what exploitability are you referring to?  What does playing as a chicken in public space have to do with exploiting potential? maybe some egg-sploiting situations......  Rimshot  You may be right, but I fail to see it.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 11:11:10 AM

NiX answered it somewhat in that you can't get beyond level 1 as a chicken and the fact they haven't nailed down a number of details. I'll withhold the question until details emerge.
bignatz
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 12:17:16 PM

I don't want to be a chicken. I want to be the egg.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 03:34:43 AM

I don't know what to say.  The more gay LotRO gets, the more I want to play it.

Can the chickens get tophats?

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 07:48:35 AM

The chicken play is amusing. Mostly Fed-Ex type quests where you have to avoid aggro as you are level 1.  The quests take you into all current zones to talk to various animal NPCs, but I have only done the shire thus far.  Your run speed is probably twice as fast as character speed, plus you get limited turbo run.  Other skills so far I have seen are a 50% range evade and a reveal stealth. 

There is a limit on the number of session players playing as chickens, so the world would never be wholly occupied by chickens.  You can't talk to players, but chickens have their own chat channels. 

Overall, it seems to be a pretty good diversion from normal play.  I do hope they expand on it a bit.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:13:24 PM by Bandit »
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 10:39:06 AM

I've been enjoying it. It's a nice thing to have available for a change of pace or if you just have an hour to kill.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 02:31:24 PM

How do you start it?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Next Update - Session Play?  
Jump to: