Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Sexy Jay gets to post directly 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sexy Jay gets to post directly  (Read 12286 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: June 23, 2007, 07:50:58 AM

For those that don't know, Sexy Jay is CoH/V's costume developer. After a while of posting through other people (usually Positron) he's finally been given a red name as JLove. This is is first official post:

Greetings Tools and Poodles.

Somebody screwed up today and game me access to the forums. Bad for them, lucky for you. I don’t know how long they will let me have it so I’ll abuse it as long as I can.

Well Issue 10 is right around the corner and this tread is about to hit 5000 posts. So far I have gathered that you guys want everything ever made throughout time and beyond. Don’t worry; I’m working on it my little faithful meat sacks. I have some bad news though, Ian was eaten. That’s right, we got hungry one day so we ate him. He was just sitting there look all tasty and such, so we just started chowing down on him. You should have seen the look on his face, it was delicious. Anyway Ian isn’t working on CoXtream-to-the-MAX-o-rama anymore. He will live on in our hearts, clogging our arteries and such.

There is going to be 5 brand new costumes sets for you to wear plus some miscellaneous stuff I have thrown in. All of the new stuff has come off of this thread so I hope you like them. Please remember how you get them is not up to me, I just make the costumes. Here are some clues to the new stuff Ex, St, Ro, Je, Bo, Va.

Did you like the Samurai stuff? Cryptic studios flew me out to Alabama for 7 months to train as a samurai, just so I could make the costume set as accurate as possible. While in Alabama my sensei; Dale, put me through several long hours of hard training. Sensei Dale threw pool balls at me to improve agility, he would put out cigarettes on me while I sleep to toughen my senses and to keep me aware of my surroundings. During the night Sensei Dale would make me hunt night crawlers to sell in the bait shop the next morning. I thought that Sensei Dale would give me a bonsai tree to help with patients and concentration, but Sensei Dale is wise beyond his years he showed me a better way; moonshining (we sold that in the bait shop too). While I never saw any female samurai I did see plenty of pigs. Bacon is the corner stone of every samurai diet. We ate bacon with every meal and It gave me the chance to become one with the animals of this great land they call Alabama. After 7 intense months with Sensei Dale he finally bestowed upon me the title of “Samurai.” End of story.

I might still sneak some costume stuff in for everyone, but only if you are well behaved. I got Santa keeping tabs on you.

Please remember:
The shorter your post is the more I like reading those.
Picture links! Picture links! Picture links!
Wash behind your ears, your mother taught you better than that
This is a suggestion thread, not a discussion thread
Don’t sign and quote each other, I don’t give two poops

Kiss
JLove
Kiss

I hope he keeps his red name, because the world needs more dev posts like that...

Edit by Trippy: fixed link
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 08:10:07 AM by Trippy »

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 02:57:34 PM

Wow, that was gay.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 05:41:15 PM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Miscreant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 07:48:28 AM

It's easy not to get Jay's humor.  It helps to know that he is a brilliant artist. 

He recently did one of those ask-a-devs that made me fall out of my seat.   

Community Qestion: If you could only design three more costume pieces ever for City of Heroes and Villains, what would those be?
Jay Doherty: A chef costume set, an evil clown costume set, 1930’s robot costume set

Community Qestion: We've seen costume pieces in a samurai theme, a pirate theme and many other themes. If you had all the resources in the world, what theme would you love to see in the game personally?

Jay Doherty: Cowboy, really. I didn’t make those cowboy boots without wanting to finish it up. But seems to me that players would rather have other things before I finish that one up.

Community Qestion: Will we see more ‘free’ costume pieces in future, or will all new pieces be inventions? It’s very frustrating to have a great costume concept but need to get the right recipe and salvage to make the costume pieces required.

Jay Doherty: Here is what I do. I make all of the new costume pieces for players, make all the NPCs, and fix costume bugs. What I do not work on is power sets, FX, or Animation. Also, I don’t decide how and when costumes are given to players. There is nothing I like more than making new stuff for you; it’s damn fun. But… how you get it is not up to me.

Community Qestion (FREDO62): As a villain, I would really like to be able to have a misshapen or deformed character, but the basic character models are all perfectly formed. Will we ever be able to have truly ugly characters?

Jay Doherty: All costume pieces need to work with all other costume pieces, so having a body type that was shaped like the elephant man, or a huge fat guy just would not work. I did and still do want to make a torso that has a hole right in the middle, I don’t know if I’ll make it in but we’ll see.

Community Qestion (Belga): Can we be given access to the NPC costume pieces? Many players would love to use the Carnival of Shadows pieces, for example, and I’d really like to have access to the Mu Mystics costumes.

Jay Doherty: When NPCs where first made there was no intention to give players those costume pieces, mostly because they would not work with other costume pieces (ex: clipping, overlapping) When the PPD exobot guys were first put into the game, players really wanted those pieces for themselves. Unfortunately all those pieces where made to work with each other not as separate pieces, and they look really silly if you don’t have all the pieces on. So to address this we have come up with a few solutions. First, while not completely copying the carnival of shadows I have built a completely new costume set with the flavour of the carnival. Second, there will be a new NPC group that was built with the player in mind, all costume pieces from this NPC group will be something players will be able to wear. Now depending on how the players respond to this is how we’ll handle more things in the future. Please don’t think that every NPC costume group from this point on will be given to the players, but I will put forth the effort to do as many as possible.

Community Qestion: Quivers and scabbards! Please let us have them, Jay! Please!

Jay Doherty: Yeah, I know. If we do implement these, you ain’t getting it till I’m happy with they way they work. If I’m not happy with them then I know for a fact that you will loathe them.

Community Qestion: Would it be possible to give high level characters access to two ‘auras’ at once, so you could (for example) have flaming hands and glowing eyes?

Jay Doherty: Maybe, I don’t know. Even though auras are in the costume creator they fall under FX. I do not do the FX for the game. There is higher priority stuff that needs doing right now, but I have written it down in “the book of stuff to maybe think about possibly doing sometime.”

Community Qestion (Belga): Are there any plans for any new basic body types, in addition to Male, Female and Huge?

Jay Doherty: Sorry, NO. Now, here is the long reason why. For every costume piece that goes into the game; for example the Gear Pads, it has to be “ported” over to the other body types (MALE, HUGE, FEMALE). When I port a costume piece I need to make sure it works with all other costume pieces; this takes time, I might take up to 2 days just to port a single costume piece. We have a rule here in costume land “If it works with 80% of the costume pieces then it can go in the game.” With the Gear pads, they work with almost everything, yes they clip with some animations and some costume pieces, but that’s what happens when you have hundreds of each. If we added another body type every single costume piece ever made would have to be ported over, there are hundreds of costume pieces. It would take very long to make a new body type. We could probably do a whole lot of other great things with that time and I don’t think the players want to wait even longer for more NPCs and costume sets.

Community Qestion (Alpha_Ryvius): What goes into creating and designing a costume piece? Aside from artistic skill is there anything you would need or have to take into consideration in creating something a massive group of people will or will not use.

Jay Doherty: Yes, I want to make badass stuff that the players want. With every issue I’m always disappointed that I didn’t get more stuff out to the players but good work comes at a price, time. When I started the “Jay’s Costume Request thread” I didn’t expect it to be so popular. As of today there is 4520 posts, and there are even more requests. Everyone as requested everything, some good some bad. Some requests are practical and some very outlandish and impossible. I’m getting to as many as I can within reason. One on the biggest requests that keep popping up is long skirts. Well I gave it a go and it turned out looking like crap, there are too many animations that the players go though that just causes the long skirt to clip and look awful.

Community Qestion (AnitaCocktail): What I would like to know is that with so many suggestions on the CoX forums that I know you take time to read, how do you get any work done? For that matter how do you decide what to actually work on and what actually gets into the game?

Jay Doherty: Everyday I make a PB&J sandwich for lunch, bring it back to my office, check my e-mail, look at the latest news on the drudge report, and check the request thread. I look at the thing everyday. As for deciding what goes into the game, I usually consult a magical sea shell I keep under my desk. The sea shell tells me to do good things, but sometimes it tells me to do bad, very bad. It takes about 15 beers before that sea shell starts to talk.

Community Qestion (Alpha_Ryvius): Is there a piece or set that you wish was in the game but couldn't get in for some reason or another?

Jay Doherty: There are a lot of things that aren’t in the game yet. It’s just a matter of time.

Community Qestion (Ubie2000): From the sound of your bio and your general attitude when you post, you seem like a person who really loves what they do and has a passion for it. Do you ever have those moments where you'll either hear a song or see something that suddenly inspires you to passionately start work on an idea and keep working on it until you finish it? If so, is any of that work in-game right now or going to be?

Jay Doherty: Yes, there was this one night that I was ready to go home but had to drop the browns off at the super bowl before I left for home. While on the throne it hit me. I stayed for a few more hours and that why we have the pain pads in the game.

Community Qestion (Alpha_Ryvius): Also how much has the players suggestions influenced your designs or decisions in creating new costume pieces?

Jay Doherty: The player suggestions have the most influence here on out. The list of things to do is a giant one and it keeps getting longer. The wings, samurai set, rocket boots, new patterns, vet pets, kilts, trench coats, and even the Greek letters were all player suggestions. I have, as of today made finished 4 new costume sets for issue 10. 3 of the 4 were player suggestions, and I’m still working on more.

Community Qestion (Alpha_Ryvius): From your profile you mentioned Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon. Do you watch anime, if so what other anime do you watch, any favorites, and what are you currently watching if you do watch anime?

Jay Doherty: I do watch some anime, but I have burned myself out on it. I went to a college called digipen and everyone there was an anime nut. All day long, nerds arguing about the inconsistencies between the original Japanese version and the dubbed version made for the American audience. They drove me mad. It was just a geek competition to see who knew more about some loser guy that looked like a girl. Besides I can no longer stand story lines about male characters that question every damn motive that they have for the way they live, why they fight, or why they love some girl. I just can’t relate with the introspective nightmare that all anime characters seem to have. I more into the American stuff on adult swim, I did like “Berserk” though.

http://coh.warcry.com/scripts/news/view_news.phtml?site=36&id=72841
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 07:46:30 PM by Miscreant »

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 04:00:58 PM

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 04:26:30 PM

It's easy not to get Jay's humor.  It helps to know that he is a brillaint artist. 

He recently did one of those ask-a-devs that made me fall out of my seat.   

[...]
Community Qestion: We've seen costume pieces in a samurai theme, a pirate theme and many other themes. If you had all the resources in the world, what theme would you love to see in the game personally?

Jay Doherty: Cowboy, really. I didn’t make those cowboy boots without wanting to finish it up. But seems to me that players would rather have other things before I finish that one up.  Of course then we'd need an Indian Chief motif... then, oh, I don't know, maybe a cop.  Yes, definitely, that would be fabulous! A motor cycle cop!  Maybe a construction worker next... AND THEN A LEATHER BIKER BOY! FABULOUS!

I don't know if I'd describe it as "gay", but I did detect something... fancyful(?) about the above response.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 12:17:44 PM

Like flaming?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 02:33:38 PM

My response was quite literal, ya know.

Speaking as a gay male, his phrasing sent my 'dar pinging into the extreme.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 02:56:03 PM

I was just being silly/amusing myself, no harm was intended in any way (either toward gays, or toward Sexy Jay).
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 06:49:29 PM

My response was quite literal, ya know.

Speaking as a gay male, his phrasing sent my 'dar pinging into the extreme.

I hope he is.  Who better to design CoX fashions than a gay man?  :-D

Over and out.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 07:10:58 PM

Too bad I already used my YMCA smiley for Sauced birthday.  It's too soon to reuse it. 

Anyway... I believe in Xeripis' dar!

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 05:27:53 PM

I think it would be great to have more openly gay designers in the industry.

And I agree that a gay man is probably the better choice for costume-making-bitch :D

~tries desperately to avoid jokes about how COX = cocks~

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 05:42:47 PM

Waiiiitaminute! A dev posting that doesn't sound like complete stodge and he's therefore gay?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 05:46:16 PM

He is if he sets off Xerapis' dar, no?  I wish I had dar.  I don't have any bit of dar for anything at all.  I even confuse genders and mix up races.   embarassed

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 05:46:31 PM

No, more like a guy posting things like:
Kiss
JLove
Kiss
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 05:52:36 PM

Even that didn't tip me off.  I'm utterly darless.   undecided

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 08:33:28 PM

Oh come on, how can this man be gay? ;-)

He might not be, but he certainly comes across as a bit fabulous.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 07:50:16 AM

I think it would be great to have more openly gay designers in the industry.

And I agree that a gay man is probably the better choice for costume-making-bitch :D

~tries desperately to avoid jokes about how COX = cocks~

Paraphrase from an old Hollywood Squares:

Peter Marshall: 'Paul, on a U.S. standard MMOG development team, how many men are there?'
Paul Lynde: 'About half!'

Paul is and always will be my hero of the one-liners.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 09:21:13 AM

Jay Doherty: Cowboy, really. I didn’t make those cowboy boots without wanting to finish it up. But seems to me that players would rather have other things before I finish that one up.  Of course then we'd need an Indian Chief motif... then, oh, I don't know, maybe a cop.  Yes, definitely, that would be fabulous! A motor cycle cop!  Maybe a construction worker next... AND THEN A LEATHER BIKER BOY! FABULOUS!

I don't know if I'd describe it as "gay", but I did detect something... fancyful(?) about the above response.

I picked up on a slight Village People reference. I could be wrong.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 02:11:56 PM

Uh, yeah...

Think about it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 03:39:01 PM

I picked up on a slight Village People reference. I could be wrong.

I modified the original quote - Jay is only working on a full Cowboy outfit (since he already made the boots) - read the first post.  Yes, I was doing a Village People reference, and amused the hell out of myself thinking about a SUPER! group based on them.  Their SUPER! base would look like a YMCA.  I imagine one room that has that disco ball, and that Relax song looping.  Ace and Gary visit frequently.

Honestly I don't know that Jay is gay.  Yeah, he signs his post very whimsically, but then he talks about dropping the browns off at the super bowl, and has a strong affiliation for beer.  Either way, it just doesn't matter.  He seems like a funny person that really likes what he's doing and does a good job.

Edit: grammar and spelling R hard!  Edit2: writing is hard!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:15:56 AM by Typhon »
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 08:06:08 PM

Surprising, but some gays actually do like sports and beer.  And not just the tight ends :P

I'm not one of them, mind you.  Beer makes me gag, and I find most sports boring.  Except E-Sports of course.  ~hugs Korea~

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 03:47:15 PM

Even that didn't tip me off.  I'm utterly darless.   undecided

I bet you can smell brains from a mile away though...so you have that going for you.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 04:18:32 PM

He doesn't seem gay, he seems hilarious.  Of course, he could both.  I just don't see how words on a screen can set off someone's gaydar, especially since he was obviously being incredibly over the top and ridiculous the whole time. 
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 08:52:36 PM

Surprising, but some gays actually do like sports and beer.  And not just the tight ends :P

He wasn't talking about sports.

No gay man would make that joke.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 09:21:04 PM

I don't care whether he is gay or not. He is hilarious in an ADHD, non-sequiter way, which in an of itself is refreshing to see from a MMOG dev.

Hence the reason I made the OP.

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 02:48:26 PM

He wasn't talking about sports.

No gay man would make that joke.

Pretty sure I know more gay men than you do. And speaking in absolutes like that is just crazy talk.

Maybe he's not.  Seemed to me he is.  Not that it really matters THAT much anyway.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Sexy Jay gets to post directly  
Jump to: