Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:31:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoWHead bought by IGE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoWHead bought by IGE  (Read 22014 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: June 23, 2007, 04:43:20 AM

Leaked and then confirmed by the guy who apparently bought Thottbot for IGE (and now reflected on WoWHead's front page). Fun stuff in there about Thott and Allakhazam too.

Quote from: Ahmed
And so ‘Affinity Media’ has struck again. Verified by three different sources, the price was confirmed at over $1,000,000. The lower limit was 1 million, while the upper was $1.5 million.

And from the WoWHead page:
Quote from: WoWHead
News travels fast! We were hoping to have the time to put together a proper announcement about this, but it appears word is already out, so we wanted to acknowledge it: now that IGE is out of the picture, Wowhead has decided to become a part of the ZAM Network. We'll post a lot more information later today. Stay tuned!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 05:43:02 AM

Goddamnit.

Time for their servers to start being slow as molasses and keyloggers to show up in ads that'll appear all over as well, I guess.   Monkey fuck, I need to start up an info site for a popular game so I too can sell my soul for sweet sweet lucre.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 06:55:49 AM

I guess with the anti-spam that Blizz is implementing in-game, they're pusing for gobbling up all other avenues to advertise the gold.  Not sure whether Blizz will eventually evolve the Armory to the point where all these sites become redundant.  Maybe.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 07:15:07 AM

I don't know.. even if Blizz did evolve the armory to that point it's still damn slow.

Things they have yet to add that player sites are hit-up for most often include: Quest info, player comments, player ability info, mob info, boss mob ability and strategy info, tradeskill drop locations, and fairly accurate drop % info.   Armory has a long way to go just to include that in a fast, reliable manner, much less everything else I missed.

They could EASILY create their own site that rivals and in fact exceeds wowhead or any other site for layout, speed and accessability.  It's simply oldschool thinking of keeping everything 'hidden' that prevents them from doing so. (After all, who could be more accurate about mob locations, drop %, etc than the actual company creating the game.)

If they truly want to stop this stuff in its tracks, they need to put more effort into the Armory.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 07:21:24 AM

I'm confused. This topic's title is "IGE buys Wowhead" but the announcement specifically says "IGE is out of the picture".

Huh?

Also, their "about us" page says

"In addition, we are firmly committed to the rules of gameplay and to the gaming community. As such, we have a firm stance against virtual item markets and powerleveling services. You will never see us support such efforts."

How does that figure in? As a quaint old viewpoint from yesteryear? :)

edit: just read the linked article. Man, is that guy convinced how cool he is.  "There's more money in blogging?"  Please.

Anyway, it seems that Affinity media may or may not own IGE.  Either wowhead was sold a bill of goods about who was really purchasing them, or the guy in the linked article isn't as connected as he thinks he is. I don't know who to believe, or whether I care...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 07:30:51 AM by Jayce »

Witty banter not included.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 08:47:34 AM

I'm more inclined to believe that Affinity owns IGE and Ogaming (or zen or whatever they're called).  It's easy enough to create a plausible deniability scenario through a series of shell corporations and LLC partnerships and then sell your company to yourself.  Or would you rather believe that a former MS marketing exec walked away from a money train?

Considering this deal JUST happened, that bit on their website is a viewpoint from yesteryear, Jayce.  It's the view of the old owners and was up long before the past 24 hours, not neccarily the new ones.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 09:20:54 AM

I don't know.. even if Blizz did evolve the armory to that point it's still damn slow.

Things they have yet to add that player sites are hit-up for most often include: Quest info, player comments, player ability info, mob info, boss mob ability and strategy info, tradeskill drop locations, and fairly accurate drop % info.   Armory has a long way to go just to include that in a fast, reliable manner, much less everything else I missed.

They could EASILY create their own site that rivals and in fact exceeds wowhead or any other site for layout, speed and accessability.  It's simply oldschool thinking of keeping everything 'hidden' that prevents them from doing so. (After all, who could be more accurate about mob locations, drop %, etc than the actual company creating the game.)

If they truly want to stop this stuff in its tracks, they need to put more effort into the Armory.

The problem is why would they want to show instance strats, drop % and other bits of info that is deemed 'part of the grind mechanics' to prolong the game? I'm sure they know the exact values and other factors like mob HP won't even involve guesswork, just pull up their database and paste it for people to see. But what is Blizz motive for providing that sort of in-game info?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 09:38:31 AM

The problem is why would they want to show instance strats, drop % and other bits of info that is deemed 'part of the grind mechanics' to prolong the game? I'm sure they know the exact values and other factors like mob HP won't even involve guesswork, just pull up their database and paste it for people to see. But what is Blizz motive for providing that sort of in-game info?

The fact that its already out there on sites that are owned by the gold sellers?

I am the .00000001428%
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 10:09:02 AM

Exactly. Other people are leaching this info from Blizzard IP and making money by doing so (not in the adding of the leach but in supporting the secondary market through it). You'd think they'd WANT to internalize this, to minimize the effectiveness as a tool for RMTers. When taken together, it'd further Blizzard's cause much more by revealing the stats they do have on drop rates than letting who they consider parasites do it for them.

They could also go further and do the SOE thing of charging for it. But I suspect Blizzard wouldn't do that. Charging for this sort of info would a) drive people back to RMTers; and, b) not allow them to keep their pro-gamer image.
KyanMehwulfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 06:22:54 PM

Even before this recent development, too, since it's been a plan for some time. This news must only greatly reinforce that goal to internalize. If anything, perhaps even spur on more resources on the project (new Wowhead ads or not, it's still striking at that infrastructure).
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 11:04:35 AM

Didn't someone mention a while back how IGE was trying to get OUT of the currency business and focus on its fansite business. The story goes that it originally started acquiring fansites in order to use them as a advertisement platform for their currency business, but the sites themselves proved to be a great source of revenue. With the increasing pressures from Blizzard the profitability of the currency market (at least in WoW) is going down the tubes.

This is all regurgitated from my crappy memory so don't take it as truth until someone comes up with some actual proof on this.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 11:13:15 AM

Didn't you sell to a bunch of gold sellers?

Tim: Nope, and that would have been a deal killer. The ZAM guys are an independent content business, and they don't promote RMT (Real Money Trade). Period. You will never see gold ads on Wowhead or their other ZAM sites. We made sure that was true before proceeding.

What is the deal with Affinity Media? Why all the secrecy?

John: Affinity Media is a privately held company with gaming assets that operate independently. This includes the ZAM Network. The reason we are not more forthcoming in what the company owns and does it there are a lot of moving pieces. At one point, the company owned IGE but it was sold this spring. It was a private transaction so we can't reveal details. As head of the content network, I was thrilled we sold.

How can I believe any of this is true? I read on another site that a former employee says this is all false.

John: I would strongly caution people not to believe all the rumors they read. For example, it came to my attention that the individual who leaked the story about the Wowhead sale supposedly not only owns competitive content properties but also is the partner in a successful RMT site. Like all Internet rumors, it is just that, but please consider the source when you hear damning stuff. Why not take a free shot at your top competitor. If the rumor above is true about the source of these comments, it is of course the height of hypocrisy.

So you are sure Wowhead will not have gold ads now?

John: 100% sure. Neither Wowhead or the ZAM Network have ever had gold or powerleveling ads, and they never will. We sold IGE. We are clearly separating our business from those practices. Why would we start running gold ads now?

What will happen to Wowhead?

Skosiris: Wowhead will continue on as the site everyone has come to know and love. Only, now we will have more resources to complete the plans we have already begun to make the site even better. Expect some great enhancements to the site soon!

Will the Wowhead team be staying on?

John: For the immediate future, yes, the team will be staying on. I respect the heck out of the team and would be crazy not to try to retain them.
Tim: We have a lot of options but intend to keep working on Wowhead. A lot depends on whether John continues to keep stroking our egos :)

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
garthilk
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 09:19:57 PM

Which shell company of IGE's is trying to go legit this week? Ogaming, Zam, Affinity?

Building and Destorying the Truth in Equal Measure
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 07:15:14 AM

A creates its artificial parent B, which buys C. Separately, someone from A creates D. B sells A to D and also creates subsidiary E. A creates subsidiary F. B also buys G.

C and G are proudly not owned by A. But money from E is going to F.

ADHD?
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 11:07:45 AM

A creates its artificial parent B, which buys C. Separately, someone from A creates D. B sells A to D and also creates subsidiary E. A creates subsidiary F. B also buys G.

C and G are proudly not owned by A. But money from E is going to F.

ADHD?

I had to draw that out in MS paint.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 10:17:25 AM

A DHD is what makes the Stargate work.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 01:46:48 PM

YYURYYUBICURYY4me
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 10:04:00 AM

I'll just add this here, I guess; it's RMT related but not related to wowhead or IGE.  I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

Apparently someone's found a new, fun way to advertise for their gold services, ingame.  They're using some sort of hack/bot to create gnome characters, walk them in the air to Ironforge, then kill them via falling damage so that the bodies drop at precise locations.

Like this.

According to blue responses on the WoW General Forums, if petitioned, GM's can get rid of the bodies manually, and they recommend that people petition if they see this.

Thought it was funny, with falling gnomes and all that.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 01:04:14 PM

Points for creativity.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 01:12:03 PM

Haha, wow, that's awesome (in a way).

Though the idea of gold sellers having access to some kind of flying (?) hack is worrying...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 03:16:06 PM

Yeah they hit Alleria on the 4th. Whee.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 07:58:16 AM

Though the idea of gold sellers having access to some kind of flying (?) hack is worrying...

They had one that they (supposedly) fixed whereby they'd kill the ogre king in DM by continually flying up and making him path away and then landing so he'd path to them. I saw a video of it a year or more ago.  Disgusting.

Witty banter not included.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 10:33:20 AM

They had one that they (supposedly) fixed whereby they'd kill the ogre king in DM by continually flying up and making him path away and then landing so he'd path to them. I saw a video of it a year or more ago.  Disgusting.

That one totally killed the large brilliant shard, health and mana potion markets for a long while because of the damn tribute chest.

I am the .00000001428%
Sogrinaugh
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 07:03:04 PM

That one totally killed the large brilliant shard, health and mana potion markets for a long while because of the damn tribute chest.
Uh, at the time that was like the best thing ever if you were raiding.  I know people (including myself) that attempted to liquify every asset they had so that they could buy up as many major mana potions as possible while they were cheap.  Picking herbs was and still is the very worst thing about raiding.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoWHead bought by IGE  
Jump to: