Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:14:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: [WAR] Warhammer Online Beta Europeon^H^H^H^H^H^H^HAmericone Sign up Page 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [WAR] Warhammer Online Beta Europeon^H^H^H^H^H^H^HAmericone Sign up Page  (Read 32508 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: May 31, 2007, 08:02:59 AM

I do ^H^H^H a lot.

(Edit: ^H^H^H is Hunter Hearst Helmsley's evil twin. It was not, however, a gay joke. Wait, wha^H^H^H^H^H why am I still talking?)

That post sucked, I'm so sorry.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #36 on: May 31, 2007, 08:28:37 AM

I am so goddamn confused.

I don't get the ^H thing either. I thought it was just my web browser barfing at me, but apparently it is intentionally retarded looking.

WHAT THE HELL, PEOPLE.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 31, 2007, 09:01:55 AM

I believe its [now] used to imply that the preceeding text has been deleted and replaced by the text that follows it (if memory serves the character is backspace)

Think of it as if you were watching the text as it was being typed and then as you get to the characters backspace over the stuff youve already typed and replace it with what follows - so the reader gets to see what you originally typed even though you changed it

Sorry if that was a bit clinical and nerdy

Do I win the thread?

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 31, 2007, 09:21:35 AM

I thought it was some new fangled way of saying HAHAHAHAHAHA.

*shrug*
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 31, 2007, 09:35:19 AM

You also got used to using it from being on the mainframe and then if you went to a BBS or to one of the other machines you would end up typing ^h by habit if you were a touch typist.

Oh, and if you were on a paper based terminal. There were still a few of those kicking around.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #40 on: May 31, 2007, 09:36:43 AM

I have faith in my close personal Internet friend Mark Jacobs to hook a brotha up with a beta spot.  Right Mark?

Mark?

Uh...Mr. Jacobs? Sir?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 09:48:16 AM

He's obviously ditched you.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 10:12:04 AM

Yeah, I thought that ^H character looked familiar. I thought that's what it was, but didn't say anything for fear of sounding stupid.

Silly people and your hardcore-speak.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 31, 2007, 10:36:09 AM

Meh, ^H is the control code sent by the backspace key.  If the program you are using doesn't recognize ^H (ctrl-H) as a command it just prints it to the screen.

TTy, emacs, and X all have to be set individually to recognize ^H as backspace and if one doesn't get set then sometimes you go to era^H^H^H backspace over something and you can't.

edit: little experiment for you, click on START and then RUN and then type CMD in the box where it says Open: and press Enter.  At the prompt type a bunch of letters and then hold down CTRL and SHIFT (may or may not need shift) and press the H key.  Voila backspace.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:39:39 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 31, 2007, 10:44:52 AM

Yeah, old terminal emulators such as those used to play muds would display ^H when you made an error and decided to hit the backspace key to delete what you wrote.  The current equivalent is typing in strikethrough text so that people can still see what you "deleted."

Of course, it's probably not possible to do strikethrough in the title of a post.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: May 31, 2007, 10:45:46 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%5EH

I don't understand how anyone on this website could not know what it is though.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #46 on: May 31, 2007, 10:45:59 AM

This thread officially sucks now.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 31, 2007, 11:55:11 AM

The GOA site doesn't even render in firefox or opera. No error message, no 'download flash and get IE, noob' link, nothing.

It's not much better in IE either... they need to hire someone who speaks english, imo. That, and fire whoever designed that site. :P

-- Z.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 31, 2007, 12:54:28 PM

The GOA site doesn't even render in firefox or opera. No error message, no 'download flash and get IE, noob' link, nothing.

It's not much better in IE either... they need to hire someone who speaks english, imo. That, and fire whoever designed that site. :P

-- Z.

Worked fine as intended for me. Adblock ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Zedword
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 31, 2007, 01:00:20 PM

-- Z.

Worked fine as intended for me. Adblock ?

Worked fine for me. Firefox w/ addblock (2.0.0.3 until i restart the browser)

--Zedword, can't interrupt the pandora feed
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 31, 2007, 01:51:53 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%5EH

I don't understand how anyone on this website could not know what it is though.

Must be an age bracket thing.

I'm a strapping early-20s man m'self, so while I did get into MUDs and did brief terminal usage, it was only vaguely familiar.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 31, 2007, 02:11:37 PM

Ah, the days of shiny new amber colored VT100 terminals.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Zonk
Terracotta Army

Slashdot Games

Reply #52 on: May 31, 2007, 02:54:39 PM

Must be an age bracket thing. I'm a strapping early-20s man m'self, so while I did get into MUDs and did brief terminal usage, it was only vaguely familiar.

I only know it because of my days adminning college networks, etc.

Fun fact: hippies force you to make the most TERRIBLE IT HOUSECALLS IMAGINABLE.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 31, 2007, 05:43:40 PM

The newsletter guff is up.

It doesn't warrant a new thread.

Turns out witchhunters are Light tanks with limited range capability. They look fairly cool...
http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/gameInfo/armiesofWAR/Empire/Careers/images/WHnt_09.jpg
http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/gameInfo/armiesofWAR/Empire/Careers/images/WHnt_07.jpg

There's a video about quests in WAR. http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/podcast/
It's not that exciting. Nothing in the video is going to surprise anyone here.

Sanya^h^h^h^h^h unnamed_community_manager01's grab bag has literally nothing worth reading in it this month, which is a first.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 31, 2007, 08:30:18 PM

Woo!  I'm gonna create a witchhunter and call him VanHelsingg!  I'm gonna be  cool!
Zonk
Terracotta Army

Slashdot Games

Reply #55 on: May 31, 2007, 09:00:21 PM

None of it is surprising per se, but Public Quests make me a happy, happy little nerd. I don't suppose anyone else is thinking of going Greenskin? Gobbo Shaman calls to me, with the WAUUUUUGGGHHH!!

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 31, 2007, 09:14:45 PM

Yeah, I always go evil in these games whenever possible. The cool thing about warhammer with its gritty dark fantasy atmosphere is that everybody is evil and out for blood. Here's hoping we all get in!

I was reading up on the game and one of the FAQs said that WHO wouldn't have ingame voicechat. Anyone know why? Frankly I assumed it would be included in all next-gen MMOs.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:16:20 PM by sam, an eggplant »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 01, 2007, 03:44:09 AM

I was reading up on the game and one of the FAQs said that WHO wouldn't have ingame voicechat. Anyone know why? Frankly I assumed it would be included in all next-gen MMOs.

Because the FAQs are old and pre-EA. Since then EA expressed a view that ingame chat is desirable (probably so that console transfer is made more practical). Also the FAQ is from before VOIP started turning up in other games. I vaguely remember Mark saying their stance has shifted from 'VOIP isn't in the plan' to 'VOIP is something we are considering, but don't have firm plans for'.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 01, 2007, 07:15:40 AM

None of it is surprising per se, but Public Quests make me a happy, happy little nerd. I don't suppose anyone else is thinking of going Greenskin? Gobbo Shaman calls to me, with the WAUUUUUGGGHHH!!

I'm thinking about it, since the boyz are best.   The art direction on the chaos marauders is sexy enough that I might be tempted to try one.  Even if chaos is cheaty.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 01, 2007, 08:39:39 AM

Whoa, something good might come from EA buying out mythic? The whole world's going topsy-turvy, dudes!
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 01, 2007, 02:37:14 PM

I'm shocked I knew what ^H meant... I guess those years wasted in grade school playing muds and talking in teleconference, playing Fazuull, Kyandria and TLORD are finally paying off!

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 05, 2007, 04:26:19 AM

Mark, has posted on the alliance forums to the effect of 'GOA r teh awesome in internal development and beta input'.

Folks,

Okay, I've been expecting this kind of thread for quite a while and I've got a rather simple response, no spin, no sugar-coating, etc.:

If you're trolling here, have a cookie and go away.

OTOH, if you are a European player and think that GOA is treating you now as a 2nd-class citizen, you couldn't be more wrong!

Yeap, I said it, and I'll say it again, you're wrong! Did GOA's signup page work as well as ours? Nope, apparently not. Did ours work perfectly, nope. Did GOA, which is spending a ton of money to run WAR for us in Europe, somehow decide to hurt the very customers that it is counting on to make the decision to partner with us on WAR? Of course not. They tried to do things a little differently, with a little more flair (and effort) than we did with our signup page. And, well, it didn't work out as well as they had hoped. It wasn't because of lack of effort on their part. It's not because they are incompetent, it's not because they didn't try, it's simply because things did not work as intended.

Over the course of our long-term relationship with GOA, they have always asked us if they could do things a little differently than we do them here, whether it is the art style of the boxes, promotional material, website, etc. They believe that they have a better feeling for European taste/flair/etc. than we do here and you know what, I agree with them which is why we have always extended them that freedom. Sometimes it works out really, really well and sometimes, well, it doesn't work out so well. This is apparently one of those times. We've been in contact with them and we want to see what went wrong and why and then we will talk to them about it. However, to somehow put this into the camp of "2nd class citizenry" is total and complete nonsense. They tried something a little different and it didn't go as well as expected. FYI, as of this morning, they had a lot more signups than we had so it wasn't like it was a total disaster was it (which if you read this thread you might think it is)?

I'm truly sorry that GOA had any problems with their signup page just as I'm sorry that we had a few with our own and I apologize for any problems that people had with GOA or with our signup system. Overall though it actually went quite well considering that this game isn't even the second stage of beta yet and this is the first time we've both opened our signup systems at the same time.

If you want to bring up old issues with GOA, feel free to bash them or Mythic's decision somewhere else but please don't do it here and now. GOA has committed to us, in the strongest contractual language possible, that they will meet or exceed the kind of service we provide in North America. Based on what I've seen so far, I have no reason to doubt that they will do their best to meet that commitment. It's not 2002 guys, it's 2007 and things are a bit different this time around. Let me tell you something that has already come out of our closed beta testing, the GOA guys have been all over WAR, beating the heck out of it and by far, being our most productive group of beta testers. They spend lots of time playing the game and letting us know what they think about it. If all our beta testers are as helpful as they have been already, we'll be in unbelievable shape by the time we launch.

Again, I'm truly sorry for the problems that some of you experienced with the day one signups. Mistakes happen, some things get overlooked, nobody is perfect. However, it wasn't because we at Mythic, especially yours truly, wants or will tolerate any of our worldwide fans to be treated as 2nd class citizens. You can take this to the bank, if I have any inkling that any of our partners are not doing that they need to do to ensure that nobody is a 2nd class-citizen, the least of their worries will be what is said about them in places such as this. I have no intention of letting anyone or any group cause me to break my promise both to GW and to myself about the quality of the game we are creating. And that quality is inextricably bound to the care and effort that goes into the game and the community after WAR launches. Wherever we have a partner, no matter what country or language, that partner will have to keep up with us or even, in my perfect world, exceed us. Now that would make me very happy.

Mark

Mark, in case you are reading.

I don't think anyone doubts that GOA are trying to put together a decent service.

I don't think anyone anywhere is trying to even pass comment on what contracts say or what GOA contribute internally - it's not even relevant to the issue.

I do think people are seriously worried by the godawful service GOA provided on DAoC, and doubly so since the only public things GOA have done on WAR have made them look as bad as they did on DAoC.

This is an issue of service competance, which GOA have no track record of delivering, which can't be enforced by contract, and which GOA have so far shown no sign of even having accepted was below par on daoc.

They believe that they have a better feeling for European taste/flair/etc.

I suspect the problem here, is that as GOA are a small time operator, they honestly believe all of Europe is like their home market.

GOA products and service might or might not look cheap and shoddy in French speaking Europe, I honestly don't feel qualified to say, France is one of the few places in Europe I've spent almost no time, and is one of the few nationalities I've known almost nobody with in guilds or other gaming situations. Anyway, GOA products & websites, certainly do look cheap and shoddy to everyone else.

In terns of 'some times it works out well'. The only thing I can ever remember anyone being positive about was a couple of GM run events, I don't know if they went down well in France, everywhere else people just got annoyed that GOA couldn't be bothered to translate NPC text properly. People appreciated the fact that GOA were trying, but again, the execution was clumsy and made the whole excercise a waste of time. Maybe there was some other variation that happened over my three years in daoc that people appreciated GOA for. I certainly don't remember it, which probably tells us how important it was.

PS.

People in Europe have sufficient taste to dislike clumsy 100% flash websites with no html alternative just as much as Americans.

Ryuno
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 05, 2007, 04:31:59 AM

I honestly wonder why they think a flash site is a good idea.

Its horrible.

Please give html version like the NA site.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 05, 2007, 04:37:16 AM

I'm actually a little surprised that EA policy can allow 100% flash sites in this day and age.

In a more professional organisation it would contravene policy on the grounds both of accessibility, and being bloody stupid.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #64 on: June 05, 2007, 07:00:58 AM

I'm not eligible. Under mmo experience it says "Limit 1000 characters." I think I've had around 1200 characters. Hey, I'm an altoholic.
WayAbvPar

Reply #65 on: June 05, 2007, 09:35:36 AM

I'm not eligible. Under mmo experience it says "Limit 1000 characters." I think I've had around 1200 characters. Hey, I'm an altoholic.
:-D :-D :-D :-D

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #66 on: June 05, 2007, 01:54:22 PM

Maybe we need a gaming forum for the elderly.

"Me am play gods"
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 05, 2007, 02:12:49 PM

Maybe we need a gaming forum for the elderly.

Get off my damn lawn.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 05, 2007, 06:02:27 PM

So?  No one liked my ctrl H command prompt experiment/demonstration?  I thought it was a pretty good example of what was going on...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #69 on: June 05, 2007, 08:09:28 PM

I didn't have to experiment.  I played MUDs with a broken backspace key for nearly a year back in the olden days.  I'm sure it was wonderful, although the word "EMACS" made me cry for a little while.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: [WAR] Warhammer Online Beta Europeon^H^H^H^H^H^H^HAmericone Sign up Page  
Jump to: