Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:01:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: If you havent played Planetside Lateley. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you havent played Planetside Lateley.  (Read 54884 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: May 17, 2007, 11:57:56 AM

You should give it a try.

There have also been 3 major additions, Expanded Combat deployable (Link 2) as well as upgradeable wall turrets, the revamped sunderer (Link 2) , and soon (may 20th) 3 new pistols, a flamethrower, and a new rifle , as well as the 4 year event.

And you should Check out this  video. (Right Click Save As)

Here is a link to a sort of "Future timeline" for implementing things, its somewhat vague as it of course was made before they really started putting things on paper and designing it, but it will give you a glimpse to the thinking of the developers and the pace they hope to achieve.

Development for the next quarter

As a long time fan of this game, i hope you will excuse me attempting to bring the fun to more people, new and old. I look forward to reading more here in the feature.

Mr.B

EDIT: You can find me on the Emerald server, Terran Republic, i am always willing to help new players and am looking to expand my Outfits ranks. No prior experience necessary.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 12:01:58 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 02:02:32 PM

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 02:04:50 PM

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 04:18:15 PM

Sadly, my sources tell me that Planetside is so utterly barren empty since the price hike and the end of the fodderside program that this guy may not be a mole, he might just be a player desperate for someone else to shoot.  It was just great timing of Sony to start putting a bunch of new stuff in the game AFTER driving all of the players away with price hikes (which the in-game ads were supposed to prevent) and throwing out the free fodder players.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 07:06:27 AM

No, I’m not a Mole ,i mean, i guess i am if you consider a player that enjoys his game and is just trying to get the word out. You guys can make your own minds up. To the post above, i think your friend is a little over exaggerating, while populations are not as they were during the height of Planetside, its not in dire straits yet. The emerald server still have a good amount of players (I cant comment on the others as I don’t play on them) and really good fight most times. Planetside still has some of the largest fights available with over 300 on one continent at a time.  Allot of people did subscribe after the fodder, i see new users allot when i play. But i am not going to tell you that  the population is better than ever, its not dieing, but its not as many as it was during release. Its is a domino affect, but that can work both ways.

This weekend marks the 4 year event and the release of the new weapons, there are going to be some good massive fights, and events for most of the weekend.

Hope to see you there.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:09:19 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 07:08:43 AM

Point taken. 

A group of us did give the game a go a few months back.  We played pretty seriously for a couple of weeks and interest faded.  Removal of the free level 6 program coupled to the price hike was quite a turnoff.  The game just can't justify that in today's market. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 07:12:33 AM

Yep, pretty much. It was interesting, and was the first time I had played the game. Fun, but not that much per month fun. I also thought some of the sides were unbalanced, and the 'win continent, wake up, continent is lost' thing got to me after a while.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 07:14:31 AM

If you feel thats the case, i cant argue. I still really enjoy planetside, and have been reassured by the new developments. Planetside still provides many things that other FPS cant. Trust me, lol, i have played on and off over the years... It does get in your blood.

I still encourage you  guys to try it again

Planetside is one of those game where who you play with will affect your experience.

That, and it looks like you guys were dirty Vanu scum!

:p

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 07:16:42 AM

Yep, pretty much. It was interesting, and was the first time I had played the game. Fun, but not that much per month fun. I also thought some of the sides were unbalanced, and the 'win continent, wake up, continent is lost' thing got to me after a while.

Well, i can attest, the sides are balanced, the beauty of Planetside is in the fact each empire has strength's and weaknesses, but the balance does include other factors besides TTK. Knowing thoes will help you.

I can answer most questions if you guys want.

Thanks for hearing me.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 07:17:09 AM

Also, the inventory management minigame really turned me off; not the optimizations part, but the part about having to be able to bring up your inventory and quick-switch items around to be viable in specific things (ACE for instance)

I totally disagree. Vanu got it right in the pooper. Let's talk about the chaingun, noobhammer, and the autoaim AA missiles, and then we can talk about balance. When every single character on a side has a single weapon, you may want to re-consider balance. I don't think I ever met someone without the chaingun on the entire TR side. Ever.

The other two heavy weapons were situational, but the chaingun is good in all environments. The major problem with the vanu weapons is if you are agaisnt two guys with regular wepaons with the lasher, you die and they both are <50% life. If you have the chaingun, you can take one with you.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:28:13 AM by bhodi »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 07:19:52 AM

Also, the inventory management minigame really turned me off; not the optimizations part, but the part about having to be able to bring up your inventory and quick-switch items around to be viable in specific things (ACE for instance)

The ACE? There is only one mode, or item rather that will not auto replace the ACE in your hand, thats the "Boomer", placing the boomer will leave your hand empty, due to the creation of the detonation stem.

Also, Right clicking any item in your innovatory will automatically place the right clicked item in an empty holster slot, or swap it out with whatever is in the appropriate holster slot.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 07:24:59 AM

I did play, you don't need to explain it to me :)

And yes, of course, I'm talking about the boomer. Specifically, stealth suit boomers, either in combat or playing with inventory/lockers to take down a gen. I edited comment above with some other gripes. If you glance around at some other threads, I think I already outlined my gameplay whines elsewhere. There are others...

Don't forget the dumbfire AA switch strategy until they fixed it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:27:09 AM by bhodi »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 07:30:39 AM

I totally disagree. Vanu got it right in the pooper. Let's talk about the chaingun, noobhammer, and the autoaim AA missiles, and then we can talk about balance. When every single character on a side has a single weapon, you may want to re-consider balance.

The other two heavy weapons were situational, but the chaingun is good in all environments. The major problem with the vanu weapons is if you are agaisnt two guys with regular wepaons with the lasher, you die and they both are <50% life. If you have the chaingun, you can take one with you.

Chain gun is NOT good in all situations. lol, Ever been in a hallway with two lasher users? Kill zone, nowhere to hide. As said,all the guns are situational, and knowing the limitations and strengths will help you out.

Heavy assault:
NC Jackhammer = Deadly at close range, means its highly effective indoors. Useless at range. Triple shots cool down leave the user Volnarable.
VS Lasher = Good at short to mid range, also has a lashing affect able to hit targets slightly off center. Included AV damage.
TR MCG = Good at range, decent indoors, high use of ammo. Cone of fire is its major limiting factor, as it will bloom if the user is hit by ANYTHING.

Like i said, Balance in Planetside includes more than TTK.

TR = More shots, less damage.
NC= Less shots, more damage.
VS = Mobility and versatility.

I did play, you don't need to explain it to me :)

And yes, of course, I'm talking about the boomer. Specifically, stealth suit boomers, either in combat or playing with inventory/lockers to take down a gen. I edited comment above with some other gripes. If you glance around at some other threads, I think I already outlined my gameplay whines elsewhere. There are others...

Don't forget the dumbfire AA switch strategy until they fixed it.

Cloaking is a hard life. You are wearing basicly spandex with a limited innovatory supply. Allot of cloakers are also Advanced hackers, allowing them to hack a console once in a base to resupply with, or pull a MAX unit.

I am definitely no expert in cloaking, as it not my thing, but i can point you to some good Guides if you would like.

As far as the Dumb-fire AA switch, your going to have to tell me what Empire and Gun before i can comment. Not sure what you are talking about.

EDIT: Cloaker Strategy http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=88000008317
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:38:19 AM by Mrbloodworth »

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 07:38:33 AM

You used to be able to unequip the Decimator (the only dumbfire anti-armor weapon in the game) and re-equip another (in effect doing an inventory swap) to reset the fire cooldown. If you were very good at this, you could take down a BFR solo.

I knew plenty of guides and used them when I played, but of course since I don't play anymore they would be somewhat useless. I'm sure there are people who play still, I'm just not one of them.

The rampant cheating was a real turnoff, too. The behind-the-camera shot allowing you to watch behind corners also made it extremely unbalanced IMO. You could argue they were just another way to play the game and to adjust, but I thought it was completely retarded for someone to have intelligence like that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:41:40 AM by bhodi »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 07:40:37 AM

You used to be able to unequip the Decimator (the only dumbfire anti-armor weapon in the game) and re-equip another (in effect doing an inventory swap) to reset the fire cooldown. If you were very good at this, you could take down a BFR solo.

I knew plenty of guides and used them when I played, but of course since I don't play anymore they would be somewhat useless. I'm sure there are people who play still, I'm just not one of them.

The rampant cheating was a real turnoff, too.

Yes, that was fixed.

Np, i was just trying to answer your questions.

There really isn't that much "Cheating" in planetside. I have been playing for quite a while, and have only seen it a few times, most complaints of cheating are , well, not.
Of course i'm not a dev, so i have no real data. But i can say we have way less than say, Counter Strike, or the BF series. ;)

EDIT: What i meant by, it wasn't cheating is. Planetside was never built to take advantage of Dual core machines, one those started to become used, the extra core did some odd things in relation to planetside, people warped, seems to move faster ETC.... However, there have been a few patches that have corrected the issue, and they have instituted anti-hacking measures. I currently use a dual core machine now, and this is no longer an issue.

3ED person is a unique aspect of plantside. The same affect can also be achieved by an implant called Audio amp, however where some get the advantage of sight with 3ED person, Audio amp will let you "Hear" moving troops and represent them as Red dots on your radar. Its effectively the same thing, and isn't as restricted as 3ed person. But yes, some people love, and some people hate 3ed person, but everyone does have the ability. Command Rank 3 also has the ability to , for a time, reveal enemies positions, much like a time stamp.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:53:13 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 07:56:29 AM

As someone who played with MAXs a lot, fighting against TR was a study in frustration; the Striker is beyond broken. Locking onto pretty much every besides regular infantry + rapid fire + decent damage. I mean, hell, you don't even have to try if you have a striker vs a MAX.

Also, some of the exploits, like the AMD64 = runhack stuff, got to be Really annoying.

The Lasher, while a good weapon, is overrated. Most times when I died to a Lasher, it wasn't because of the lash action; a regular rifle would have done the job as well.

I think the game would Really be helped if you could only carry one weapon heavier than medium assault at any one time; no more MCG + Striker, or Lasher + Lancer, or Double Decimators.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 08:06:53 AM

As someone who played with MAXs a lot, fighting against TR was a study in frustration; the Striker is beyond broken. Locking onto pretty much every besides regular infantry + rapid fire + decent damage. I mean, hell, you don't even have to try if you have a striker vs a MAX.

Also, some of the exploits, like the AMD64 = runhack stuff, got to be Really annoying.

The Lasher, while a good weapon, is overrated. Most times when I died to a Lasher, it wasn't because of the lash action; a regular rifle would have done the job as well.

I think the game would Really be helped if you could only carry one weapon heavier than medium assault at any one time; no more MCG + Striker, or Lasher + Lancer, or Double Decimators.

All a matter of perspective man.

The game is balanced, and as i have said, Its not just TTK that does it. For instance, I find the NC Phoenix very frustrating, I mean, its a TOW like missiles that camera guided, most times, the user is in an inaccessible location and guiding the missile up and around to your face, while he is completely protected.

The VS Lancer is like a sniper rifle, most times they are hitting you from far away, and in a direct line of fire.

See what I mean?

As a Max on the VS side, if someone uses the lock on on you with the striker, use your empire specific ability, JUMP, the Striker requires that you paint the target or the lock is lost.

TR maxes become immobile as there ability, this increases the rate of fire, but, makes them immobile. Making them Desi bait. Again, its more than TTK.

;)

EDIT: also wanted to add that the Striker does less damage per hit than the other Empire specific Grunt held Anti vehicle weapons.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 08:26:03 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Strazos

Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 09:32:33 AM

One, I'm not sure anyone here knows what TTK is...or cares, for that matter.

Let me continue with the rest of your stuff. The NC Phoenix and VS  Lancer? At least they take some actual Skill to use. Personally, I never had too hard a time avoiding them, though a Lancer will kill a Max very quickly out in the open. How is that balanced when compared to the Striker, that can empty an entire clip inside of 3 seconds, and can lock onto even a MAX?

Oh yeah, it's not, because it's Way Too Easy. Why do you think TR cried when they couldn't lock onto stealthed turrets? Because, wow, they would have to actually aim, or something.

Also...jump-jets as a means of avoidance are practically a joke. It's not like aiming up a bit is hard, and it's easier the further from you the attacker is.

The Striker might do slightly less damage than other AV weapons...but it's By Far the easiest to use and kill with. Hell, half the time the projectiles ignore terrain features once they are in the air, such as smaller trees.

Limiting what infantry could carry would go a long way to helping this game in my opinion; even players with high cert counts would have to make actual decisions as to what weapons to carry. No longer would they be able to counter practically any sort of attacker.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 10:06:46 AM

One, I'm not sure anyone here knows what TTK is...or cares, for that matter.

Let me continue with the rest of your stuff. The NC Phoenix and VS  Lancer? At least they take some actual Skill to use. Personally, I never had too hard a time avoiding them, though a Lancer will kill a Max very quickly out in the open. How is that balanced when compared to the Striker, that can empty an entire clip inside of 3 seconds, and can lock onto even a MAX?

Oh yeah, it's not, because it's Way Too Easy. Why do you think TR cried when they couldn't lock onto stealthed turrets? Because, wow, they would have to actually aim, or something.

Also...jump-jets as a means of avoidance are practically a joke. It's not like aiming up a bit is hard, and it's easier the further from you the attacker is.

The Striker might do slightly less damage than other AV weapons...but it's By Far the easiest to use and kill with. Hell, half the time the projectiles ignore terrain features once they are in the air, such as smaller trees.

Limiting what infantry could carry would go a long way to helping this game in my opinion; even players with high cert counts would have to make actual decisions as to what weapons to carry. No longer would they be able to counter practically any sort of attacker.

TTK = Time to Kill. As in how long it take to kill X with Y.

The Striker does not fire as fast as you are saying. It also has a dumb fire mode. The new additions will help specialization out, as they are not increasing the amount of Certification point.

Don't take this the wrong way, but allot of what you are saying is mostly opinion, and it seems you have some misconceptions..

Like i said,

Phoenix = TOW like missile, Slow to fire, Camera guided, heavy Damage per hit. Can be fired from cover (AKA: Behind things) Range: medium

Lancer = High Range (longer than the others) Direct fire shot, Little to no COF bloom, Good damage. Like a sniper rifle.  Range: Long

Striker = Has a lock on mode, Requires you paint the target, faster rate of fire, Lower Damage per hit. Also has a Dumb fire mode.  Range: Short (The missiles do not turn fast and crap out at a short distance as lock on is droped) Also travels slower than other missiles and is easily outpaced by any Aircraft with After burn.

The Decimator, a common pool Weapon, Fires a dumb fire missile at the target, The most susceptible MAX to this is the TR, as its lock down means it has no way to avoid it. NC maxes can absorbed one extra hit with its shield, or move out of the way of the slow firing missile, the VS can move (they are the fasted walking MAXes) or jump to avoid.

Again, Each empire has advantages and disadvantages, but thats not limited to a class of guns, it also carry over to different engagement areas.

NC= Indoors.
TR = Outdoors.
VS = Mobility and versatility, most notably, the ability to float over water, and maxes ability to fire while avoiding, and jump over walls or into towers from the top floor. Empire Guns have AV included, or is a secondary fire, instead of another AMMO type (innovatory space) Making them decent in both areas.

Maxes are technically treated as vehicles, and Lets not forget ,that other Empires also have devices that lock on (Maxes), its not just TR.

Keep in mind, Planetside is a Paper, Rock, Scissors game at its core, but there are things that overlap theses areas. Its not just Damage output that is used to balance. This meants there is no one gune that rules (ALA Quake and its rocket-luncher). The game is quite complicated.

Thanks for the conversation.  smiley
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:16:42 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Strazos

Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 11:01:14 AM

NC= Indoors.
TR = Outdoors.
VS = Mobility and versatility, most notably, the ability to float over water, and maxes ability to fire while avoiding, and jump over walls or into towers from the top floor. Empire Guns have AV included, or is a secondary fire, instead of another AMMO type (innovatory space) Making them decent in both areas.

Maxes are technically treated as vehicles, and Lets not forget ,that other Empires also have devices that lock on (Maxes), its not just TR.

The TR's big thing is filling a space with tons and tons of ammo. This works well enough outdoors....but it also works great indoors, where your ability to avoid is seriously hampered.

My big problem with TR is that while they have the highest Rate of Fire for pretty much all weapons, their accuracy does not suffer enough IMO. I could toss out tons of anecdotes, but what's the point? I got fed up with TR walking through groups of people while spamming the MCG, running out of ammo, and then swapping to their Other MCG. How is that balanced?

And on Lock-on, what do the other empires have that can lock on a MAX that is a ubiquitous as the Striker? I can't think of anything.

Fear the Backstab!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 11:45:13 AM

NC= Indoors.
TR = Outdoors.

The TR's big thing is filling a space with tons and tons of ammo. This works well enough outdoors....but it also works great indoors, where your ability to avoid is seriously hampered.

My big problem with TR is that while they have the highest Rate of Fire for pretty much all weapons, their accuracy does not suffer enough IMO. I could toss out tons of anecdotes, but what's the point? I got fed up with TR walking through groups of people while spamming the MCG, running out of ammo, and then swapping to their Other MCG. How is that balanced?

As i have said, Ever been in a hallway with a Jackhammer user? Or a Lasher user? They can do the same thing, with the NC being king at close range, and the VS able to hit fleeing foes around corners or in small nooks in the hallways. Indoors is really the Domain Of heavy assault. With the lasher being the hardest to avoid, due to the lash.

Also note, that a little while ago, they changed it so that ALL Heavy assault guns take longer to "whip out" than say, Medium assault or lower. Pistols being the fastest to pull out.

Again, by class there is balance, but its also the arsenal as well for an empire that creates the strong points and weak points, its very situational.

Here are some guides.

Thye MCG: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=600010528

The Jackhammer: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=600007731

The lasher:  http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=88000007670 Take note of the post by Jimmy_jazz

Vanu MAX tactics : http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=600002074

Some of thees may be somewhat old, but have good info none the less.

I do have a question for you, Have you played Any of the other empires?

Also, you know you CAN loot the other empires guns after you kill them, if you have the same class Certification, you can use it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:49:43 AM by Mrbloodworth »

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 02:44:42 PM

You sure are on a crusade, aren't you?

The problem with using another side's weapons is that as Vanu, I had better things to spend my points on. Because I'd get decimated in straight combat no matter where I was, there was no real point in trying to spec-and-scrounge. It was a much better plan for me to simply take UNI-MAX over the 3 rexo and 4 heavy weapon points for indoors and hope to god I could get a vechile for outdoors. Suggesting that I spend 7 points to scrounge other sides' weapons should give an indication of how crazy you sound.

Lash damage is insignificant unless it's being mass fired and is very sad compared to chaingun or jackhammer.

Technically, the weapons are supposed to be balanced, but Vanu requires a TON more skill all around and that makes their weapons sub-par due to the difficulty of use.

I played NC as well.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 03:51:45 PM by bhodi »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 02:51:51 PM

I am am unwilling to make the time investment needed to become anything but fodder.  Gal drops were badass though.

"Me am play gods"
Strazos

Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 04:27:59 PM

Mrbloodworth...did you even read was I wrote?

Also, please note that yes...we've all actually Played the game. We don't need a lesson on basics. Also, we actually played mostly NC. We swapped from Vanu because they were so damn horrible. The Lancer was nice, and their Max weapons were good, but pretty much everything else about them was sub-par.

Most of us played fairly heavily for about 2 months, at least. We've pretty much experienced all that all of the weapons and factions had to offer.

Vanu: Lancer was nice. Lasher was only worthwhile in groups, or against stealthers. Vanu MAX jumpjets are overrated, but neat. Their weapons were pretty balanced though. Mag was underpowered, under armored, and while the hover on water was cool, it wasn't always useful. Also, the hover made aiming as the gunner harder on most terrain.

NC: Phoenix was fun and versatile, but somewhat on the weak side (you could still kill a max in what, 5 shots?). JH was almost worthless beyond 15 meters. NC MAX shield is the best of the Max abilities, by far. It just raises your survivability too much to be ignored. Their weapons were all highly specialized, which could suck sometimes, but I found it to be an acceptable trade-off. NC Vanguard was a nice, balanced MBT.

TR: Striker is incredible on any kind of armor; it puts out decent damage, homes EASILY. If you have a clear shot at a target, you'll be Extremely likely to hit with at least half the clip. Totally embarrasses MAX users. MCG does decent damage per shot, throws out tons of shots quickly, and is still fairly accurate over range (perhaps more accurate than a personal chain gun should be). You can practically walk through people with this thing on. TR MAXs, for the amount of ammo they toss out, are a bit too accurate for my tastes. I've dueled TR maxes over extremely long ranges, and all of their varieties are more accurate than the NC flavors, while also pumping out more shots/second. Especially the AA max, which I found puzzling. TR Prowler was a beast. Sure you needed 3 people, but how hard is that when you spam the "need a passenger" macro in the CY?

Again, I think limiting all players to one weapon heavier than medium assault at any one time would help the game Tons. Also, it would give people a reason to actually use the medium assault weapons, which I found to be pretty good for all 3 empires.

Fear the Backstab!
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 12:43:36 PM

As one of the guys that both was a long time Planetside player (still play some), as well as part of the group from here that played for a month or so, I did have a couple of things to say to Strazos/Bhodi and those that stopped playing:

As I kept trying to drill things in, the issues you saw with various weapon sets (especially calling the lasher "weak") was mostly due to either improper understanding of the strengths//weaknesses of the individual weapon (lasher particularly), or improper application of the weapon to a situation.

The other main point was that many of the people played focused on individual play, and how "balance" related to it, as opposed to squad/platoon/outfit play (which is what the game is actually balanced against), and of course it comes up short since by definition weapons are not balanced to be "equal".

I'm not dogging you guys at all by any means, don't get me wrong, but I really found it interesting that we as a group went from the easiest empire to play at the squad level (Vanu, specificlally properly configured lasher squads), and moved to one of the more difficult/limited (NC).

It strikes me as frustrating that the "balance" concept in pretty much all MMO games always tries to work down to the "1v1" level, when that makes things so very limiting when it comes to cooperative play. From EQ1 all the way to Planetside, there is a mass user feeling that no matter what choice they make in their character, it should be a "balanced" one against another player--and until that expectation goes away, I don't think we'll truely see innovative squad/group/outfit/realm based mass warfare--but I do think myself it will happen eventually!

Rumors of War
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 01:01:12 PM

As one of the guys that both was a long time Planetside player (still play some), as well as part of the group from here that played for a month or so, I did have a couple of things to say to Strazos/Bhodi and those that stopped playing:

As I kept trying to drill things in, the issues you saw with various weapon sets (especially calling the lasher "weak") was mostly due to either improper understanding of the strengths//weaknesses of the individual weapon (lasher particularly), or improper application of the weapon to a situation.

The other main point was that many of the people played focused on individual play, and how "balance" related to it, as opposed to squad/platoon/outfit play (which is what the game is actually balanced against), and of course it comes up short since by definition weapons are not balanced to be "equal".

I'm not dogging you guys at all by any means, don't get me wrong, but I really found it interesting that we as a group went from the easiest empire to play at the squad level (Vanu, specificlally properly configured lasher squads), and moved to one of the more difficult/limited (NC).

It strikes me as frustrating that the "balance" concept in pretty much all MMO games always tries to work down to the "1v1" level, when that makes things so very limiting when it comes to cooperative play. From EQ1 all the way to Planetside, there is a mass user feeling that no matter what choice they make in their character, it should be a "balanced" one against another player--and until that expectation goes away, I don't think we'll truely see innovative squad/group/outfit/realm based mass warfare--but I do think myself it will happen eventually!

Actually, one of the bigger reasons for the move to NC was the effectiveness of its zerg. Granted, in small squad, tactical situations, the NC are more difficult to win with, but get a column of vannies backed up with a biffer or two and some outrider lightnings and air support and we were unstoppable. Straz sat gunner with me in my biffer on one of those days and that was what pushed him firmly into the NC is more fun column. I don't think it's so much that we didn't/don't understand how squad/outfit/realm based warfare could/should work, it's that 90% of the people playing any of these games don't.

Everyone but those that have been indoctrinated not to, wants to be a hero. That is the ultimate downfall of any and all MMOs.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 02:12:10 PM

Honestly, when we got our shit together we pretty much rolled over everyone but the really organized groups/guilds. It was hella fun. Gal drops, dual infiltrators, squad combat -- It was the thing I most enjoyed. Unfortunately, once logins started to die off, and you played solo a lot, you started to really hate the game. As you say, the game was built and balanced around squad play, and unfortunately without a squad you got creamed.

With some of the weapons (the chaingun in particular) one experienced person could mow through you in the caves or could pull the tricks like watching in 3rd person on the roof of a tower with devastating results. The weapons helped. Two or three experienced people can take out two or three times their number. You simply get out played if you go with the zerg or are on your own, which is I guess expected, but is pretty much the only thing you can do when you're the only f13er online. It did get kind of demoralizing, since the general zerg had no interest in playing tactically. I went CE mostly to avoid situations like that. In the end, we simply didn't have a large enough pool of people to keep the planetside guild going during the evenings.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 02:22:11 PM by bhodi »
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 05:38:18 PM

I'd resub for another f13 group.  It was a blast.
Strazos

Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 07:42:08 PM

You know one other thing that made me firmly love the NC?

Their MAX units. Especially the personal shield. There were so many situations I survived that I would not have survived in either a TR or Vanu MAX. Sure, the TR can planty down and toss out tons of shots, but you're stuck to that spot, so you get killed easily. And sure, Vanu could fly around, but any competent player can aim up a bit.

That shield is just too damn clutch, ether when you put it on before you go around a blind corner, or tossing it on as you try to sprint away from assailants.

And even if their 3 variants were highly specialized, they were mostly still really good, and with skill, could be used outside of their ideal uses. I could still kill MAXs up close with a Scattermax, or still pick off infantry from decent range with the different chokes. And I could still pick off Infantry with the AV MAX (and it was really fun to lob those missiles at targets at extreme ranges).

Sorry, but the NC AA Max kind of sucked, even when used against air; it was pretty slow, and pretty weak. Also, it was practically useless against ground units.

Also, I wouldn't rule out re-subbing for a month in the future, if we had the people to play.

Fear the Backstab!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 07:49:00 PM

One of my best PS experiences in recent memory was a base cap with Straz in a MAX and me hanging out down the hall with a a phoenix. He'd kick in the shield and spray the room around the corner and then I'd let loose with a camera guided rocket or two around the corner. We waxed about three MAXes and countless infantry that run and it was a fucking blast and a half.

I'm still subbed (Station Pass for the win?) and just waiting for a critical mass again.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Strazos

Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 08:03:46 PM

/cue maniacal laughter

I still remember me and Bhodi both playing stealthers in the woods. For at least a solid half hour, we raped the Vanu in those woods. I would toss plasma nades and stab people, while he dropped spits or scatter pistoled.

The best part is that it was practically us 2 and also Tragny sniping, vs about 25 Vanu. It's lovely seeing them all scatter and look about while they get attacked, and not be able to do much about it.

Fear the Backstab!
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #31 on: May 19, 2007, 08:18:56 PM

Man no one liked my driving?  :-(

I had fun, but being the type that would drive any vehicle it was hit or miss on gunners.
Strazos

Reply #32 on: May 19, 2007, 08:26:10 PM

Oh no man, I loved your driving...because you actually drove, instead of running into rocks, or over cliffs.

Fear the Backstab!
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #33 on: May 19, 2007, 11:14:06 PM

On the NC max shield, I'd agree totally--in fact, I played in an outfit that did mostly max ops (as well as vannie columns), and basically our maxxes weren't allowed to fire--we were just there to soak up the first clip of MCG ammo so the softies could take them out.

Sadly though, if you've ever sat through trying to get NC to move into a base, it was one of the most frustrating things I've ever seen. The pheonix, being a "hide around the corner and shoot" weapon meant that people never wanted to move in, and with 90% of their empire specific weaponry being close range focused, it could be damned difficult just to get from the CY entrance to the front door against defenders.

As I said, each empire balanced against each other, with a specific strength for the most part.

BTW, if you liked cloak/pistol work, you are going to LOVE the new pistols--10mm, and they basically are one shot kills now, especially when well aimed as a cloaker. In fact, while the flamethrower is in worse need of balance (all damage goes directly to health, so maxxes are screwed big time), they will probably be tweaked down a bit, or at least I hope.

Rumors of War
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 02:01:41 AM

Wait, what?  A flamethrower hurts people in sealed power armor?  Vehicles and MAXes should be flat-out immune to flamer damage, much like elementals in Battletech.  Burning people only works when the flame can actually, y'know, reach them.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: If you havent played Planetside Lateley.  
Jump to: