Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:47:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Massive layoffs at SOE? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Massive layoffs at SOE?  (Read 41643 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: April 12, 2011, 06:58:23 PM

Worked for Sims Onl-

OH WAIT

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: April 12, 2011, 09:54:42 PM

Yes, because that same audience shows a marked preference for sub fee games.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: April 13, 2011, 12:35:33 PM

You just said that Sims players were the same group as Ville players and that they would play UO as well.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: April 13, 2011, 06:29:43 PM

I forgot when they hardcoded the payment option for UO into the server software.  When was that again?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: April 13, 2011, 08:46:17 PM

Fuck it, I don't even know what Sheepherder is talking about any more.

Even if UO were FTP I highly doubt that Sims/Ville players would play it. Sims/Ville games are basically single player, which is one reason that TSO failed.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:21:37 PM by Margalis »

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: April 13, 2011, 10:35:35 PM

Fuck it, I don't even know what Sheepherder is talking about any more.

I gave up when I read Farmville players would bake bread in UO and like it.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #146 on: April 14, 2011, 04:17:34 AM

I think a big reason that TSO / EAland failed was that it really didn't offer that much on the original game that didn't cost a subscription.

The person who plays Farmville today isn't going to leap into GTA tomorrow, but an evolution can occur. UO's a bad example since it is unfriendly to all but those who grew up with it but it isn't such a stretch for someone to go from FB games to some F2P browser titles and perhaps further than that if they get into gaming.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: April 14, 2011, 06:34:28 AM

Even if UO were FTP I highly doubt that Sims/Ville players would play it. Sims/Ville games are basically single player, which is one reason that TSO failed.

We've established that those players are ambivalent to non-browser online games when the alternative is massively superior offline games (no sub fee, more expansions/sequel).  That doesn't prove they have no interest in online games.

UO's a bad example since it is unfriendly to all but those who grew up with it but it isn't such a stretch for someone to go from FB games to some F2P browser titles and perhaps further than that if they get into gaming.

I just used it as an example because it had the basics of a building / crafting game hidden amidst the skull thrones and terrible UI.  UO in a browser without PK's and carpal tunnel wouldn't really be UO.  But you could probably find a sizable audience.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: April 14, 2011, 06:49:08 AM

Cushing, unprecedented grind also had something to do with TSO's downfall.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: April 14, 2011, 07:06:16 AM

I think a big reason that TSO / EAland failed was that it really didn't offer that much on the original game that didn't cost a subscription

I'd say it actually offered less than the original game. It was essentially a very poor dumbed down Sims with a very limited multiplayer (20 people?)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #150 on: April 14, 2011, 10:06:00 AM

^ That. ^

Sims Online failed because it took what should have been an obvious fucking design decision (make my Sims be able to interact with other people's Sims Online) added a sub fee, a grind and removed all semblance of the original game, then pissed on it from a very great height.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #151 on: April 14, 2011, 10:37:31 AM

I seem to recall reading it was somewhat successful in a certain niche, at least until Second Life came along.  this guy looks legit

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: April 15, 2011, 12:57:27 PM

I seem to recall reading it was somewhat successful in a certain niche, at least until Second Life came along.  this guy looks legit

The cyber whores locking newbies in refrigerators niche?
DayDream
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: April 16, 2011, 03:09:45 AM

I just remembered a wierd anecdote about sims online i heard a looong time ago?

Apparently cyber sex was a big deal there?  Something along the lines of it was the only meaningful thing to trade or something?  Fuck if I know, i never played the sims at all.

Anyone know anything about that, or the sims online economy?
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: April 16, 2011, 06:58:15 AM

If it were up to me, SOE could tank entirely. Hopefully sending out a message to other developers, to make them stop churning out so much shitty MMOs.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: April 16, 2011, 01:59:04 PM

The Sims Online had some kind of player voting system, where in theory if you were being an asshole, everyone could vote you off the island or whatever.

What ended up happening is players organized into crime family's and extorted anyone else outside the group into whatever deviant thing they could think of on the threat of "do this or we'll all vote ban your account away!"  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: April 16, 2011, 02:05:39 PM

I just remembered a wierd anecdote about sims online i heard a looong time ago?

Apparently cyber sex was a big deal there?  Something along the lines of it was the only meaningful thing to trade or something?  Fuck if I know, i never played the sims at all.

Yeah, having trouble finding links that work, but I think Ingmar was referring to the old "underage prostitute" story that was dogging the Sims Online for a while.  Players (including kids, was the implication) were trading "services" for in-game currency.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: April 16, 2011, 02:11:06 PM

What ended up happening is players organized into crime family's and extorted anyone else outside the group into whatever deviant thing they could think of on the threat of "do this or we'll all vote ban your account away!"  why so serious?
Doesn't even need game mechanics to achieve that. Playstation Home has gangs and gang wars.

Of course, said gang wars involve standing around like a sack of potatoes and typing badly spelled insults into chat.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: April 16, 2011, 02:11:59 PM

The Sims Online had some kind of player voting system, where in theory if you were being an asshole, everyone could vote you off the island or whatever.

Player justice!

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: April 16, 2011, 02:28:40 PM

Player justice!

Pretty much yea  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: April 16, 2011, 04:03:35 PM

I don't think the mafia had any particular teeth. It was all RP as far as I know. I don't remember any way to ban you from the world primarily because there was no world in TSO, just individual houses. Obviously the owner could ban people, but not quite the same.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Mavor
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: April 25, 2011, 05:40:06 PM

@Haemish (because there is no such thing as threading on forums)

In reply to your post about social media being important... I agree 100%. I think if a company set themselves up similar to a democracy, with levels of communication passing messages up and down the ladder, companies could almost get a 1:1 conversation going with many of their users.

Perhaps set up an official forum... promote community members who are active... then those promoted members would be able to talk directly with customer service/community managers who in turn could talk directly with management, etc..

Also, you are right about companies not being prepared for social media... It's not a good sight when people run into the brick wall of customer service in a public social media format.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: April 25, 2011, 08:58:26 PM

@Haemish (because there is no such thing as threading on forums)

But there is a quote button.

Do you see anyone else here doing that?
No?
That should be a clue.
Mavor
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: April 26, 2011, 12:58:13 AM

why so serious? Why so serious?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #164 on: April 26, 2011, 05:44:54 AM

Because while we are lax on many things, posting etiquette and grammar are hot buttons.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: April 26, 2011, 06:52:49 AM

Mavor, Trippy will nuke your arse from orbit if he sees that symbol... all we can do is mock you.

(See, you can address people by using their name and a comma.  It's worked for centuries. tongue)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #166 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:45 AM

Mavor, Trippy will nuke your arse from orbit if he sees that symbol... all we can do is mock you.

(See, you can address people by using their name and a comma.  It's worked for centuries. tongue)

I'm almost tempted to hint to Trippy that "@(name)" was used somewhere.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #167 on: April 26, 2011, 07:12:12 AM

Lantyssa, thy biting wit and scandalous tongue doth make a most enjoyable morn.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #168 on: April 26, 2011, 09:17:31 AM

why so serious? Why so serious?
This is not Twitter. Leave that shit over there where it belongs.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #169 on: April 26, 2011, 02:39:26 PM

This is not Twitter. Leave that shit over there where it belongs.

Love Letters

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Massive layoffs at SOE?  
Jump to: