Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:42:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 819055 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #140 on: December 07, 2008, 10:32:54 AM

Ya, one of my school's professors, a visiting professor from Egypt, bought 3 iPhones for his family, just to find out that they would not work in Egypt where he spends 4/5ths of the year. He also said that all his ITunes purchases in the US would not work abroad, since ITunes, it turns out, is region specific. I sent him a webpage on how to set up a proxy server connection and wished him luck.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: December 07, 2008, 12:07:07 PM

The USA gets screwed again :(

Hopefully google's going to do something with all that dark fiber and part of that spectrum they purchased...

Google was outbid by Verizon Wireless and didn't get any spectrum. The FCC has a full breakdown of the auction results (see the "View Auction Results" link on that page; link appears to be dynamic).
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: December 08, 2008, 09:31:18 AM

Now that you buggers have been using the phone for a while, any changes in opinion? Any annoying stuff that's come up with prolonged use?

I'm considering ordering the G1 dev model now since the iPhone still hasn't been unlocked.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #143 on: December 08, 2008, 10:47:59 AM

No, it's rock solid.

One interesting fact is that -- now that both the gphone and the iphone support open development -- the phones are converging.  The gphone had an app to hold your phone up to music and identify it about 10 minutes after the iphone did.  The gphone will have an on-screen keyboard shortly.  It's fairly quickly getting to the point where software is not differentiating at all and the only factors to base a decision on are the form factor (gphone has a real keyboard), the carrier, and the price.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #144 on: December 10, 2008, 02:52:19 PM

Do we have a top 10 apps thread for Android yet?  I don't have one because ATT can suck my dick and they want me to buy an iphone so bad...

I do have a roommate who will prob get one and a girl at work who wont install anything unless I tell her to.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #145 on: December 10, 2008, 03:02:23 PM

Sony are reported to be making an Android phone for release early 2009.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: December 10, 2008, 03:12:01 PM

Hope it won't be a cheap looking piece of shit like the G1. Then again, it is very well possible that the upcoming SE Android phone will be another rebranded HTC one like the Xperia.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Well, as long it doesn't look like crap, I guess...

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
schild
Administrator

Reply #147 on: December 10, 2008, 03:32:10 PM

Hope it won't be a cheap looking piece of shit like the G1. Then again, it is very well possible that the upcoming SE Android phone will be another rebranded HTC one like the Xperia.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Have you used a G1 yet? It's quite study and I've come to not mind the shape, in fact I kinda like it. I dig the back.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: December 10, 2008, 04:09:11 PM

I'm not saying the build quality is crappy, but the plastics used look cheap. While I hate the Blackberry form factor, this thing would sure make a nicer impression on someone than a G1.

GLOSSY!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Actually, I hoped the G1 would be something along the lines of the HTC Diamond Pro in style... but it's not.

schild
Administrator

Reply #149 on: December 10, 2008, 04:11:04 PM

I'm not saying the build quality is crappy, but the plastics used look cheap. While I hate the Blackberry form factor, this thing would sure make a nicer impression on someone than a G1.

GLOSSY!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Actually, I hoped the G1 would be something along the lines of the HTC Diamond Pro in style... but it's not.

Tiny screen. >_<
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #150 on: December 10, 2008, 04:19:24 PM

Does it look worst in person or something?  All the pictures of it I see look make it look really high quality...

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: December 10, 2008, 04:35:28 PM

Look more or less the same. I guess expectations weren't met. Seeing how HTC's current self-branded phones look like and then the G1.

Plus, no real headphone jack. Vital feature for me  Ohhhhh, I see.  (well, their music player isn't the bomb either, but a suitable replacement can be expected).

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #152 on: December 12, 2008, 01:57:49 PM

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: December 13, 2008, 06:11:34 PM

That's not a headphone jack, that's a shitty adapter, just like Sony Ericsson (used to) ship(s) with their phones. And I didn't have great experiences with these.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #154 on: December 14, 2008, 11:31:16 AM

Popcorn

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: December 22, 2008, 06:11:41 AM

Apparently there's a G2 from T-Mobile coming out soon. I hope all these silly tech sites aren't mistaking that silly chinese Dream G2 cheap phone for this thing (it doesn't come with a hardware keyboard nor a touchscreen one  why so serious? ).

Rumor mill says it's the HTC HD but with Android instead of WM.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:24:46 AM by TripleDES »

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: December 22, 2008, 07:18:26 AM

So I just picked up iPhones for myself and the wife. But the thing I like about the gPhone is that my gut tells me this is the only real competition that could blunt the growth of the iPhone.

In a sense, I feel the iPhone is the pinnacle of the old way of doing things in the U.S. Mobile providers want to control the entire end to end user experience because they feel like that's the best way to make as much money as possible. And having used every PDA and most high end models since Sharp and Casio were duking it out before the Newton got all screwed up, I feel that Apple's entire self-consistent user experience from phone to iTunes to ecomm transactions is the best one there is. But it still about the many points of consumer moneygrabs engagement.

The Android though seems predicated on the belief that embedded ad sales is the future. They don't require all different forms of end-user monetization and therefore are both cheaper to rollout and easier to centrally control. I'm not sure I agree, as the form factor restricts in ways web pages don't, you're still dealing with carriers who have their own views of monetization, and there's other ad sales models are being questioned for their lack of actual revenue being generated. But they also push for crowd-sourced development, which can work. And it's certainly not the software on the iPhone is so fundamentally better because developers can charge money for it (so much of the early stuff was developers simply slapping a dollar amount to stuff they did for free on jailbreak phones/touches).

So I love the iPhone but will still be watching to see if the gPhone goes anywhere. I'm not opposed to early termination fees if there's a much better experience to jump onto.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: December 22, 2008, 04:27:42 PM

And it's certainly not the software on the iPhone is so fundamentally better because developers can charge money for it (so much of the early stuff was developers simply slapping a dollar amount to stuff they did for free on jailbreak phones/touches).

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: December 29, 2008, 02:50:06 PM

Picked up one and am very satisfied with this. I like the back as well.
Feature list on the firmware update

multiple fixes to the Email client,  Video recording,  Faster browsing with  cut and paste from the browser.

I can do a quick must have list for apps, but most of it's been covered.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: January 03, 2009, 08:54:48 AM

Maybe it'll convince me to finally quit my job and hack on a (differently) fun project though.

Nobody is allowed to leave android until they allow programs to be closed without turning off the fucking phone. Drained a g1 in five hours with wifi and gps turned off, with power managment turned on. Although Twitdroid was going every 15 and I probably got about 60 SMS in that time and I took three pics.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #160 on: January 03, 2009, 09:03:18 AM

Maybe it'll convince me to finally quit my job and hack on a (differently) fun project though.

Nobody is allowed to leave android until they allow programs to be closed without turning off the fucking phone. Drained a g1 in five hours with wifi and gps turned off, with power managment turned on. Although Twitdroid was going every 15 and I probably got about 60 SMS in that time and I took three pics.

It's in the works.  You *can* force a program to exit by uninstalling it right now, but I realize this is a big hammer.

Also, for the record, I don't have any involvement in the framework / java level stuff.

Was that every 15 minutes or 15 seconds?  15 seconds is harsh, especially if it hits the network.  15 minutes shouldn't be that horrible unless it's doing some massive data transfers every time it wakes up.
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: January 04, 2009, 03:09:13 AM

Well, I ended buying an iPhone instead of the G1 because the dev model apparently comes with a 200€(!) shipping and handling fee which makes it way more expensive. My only gripe so far is that the iPhone keyboard doesn't have pgup/pgdn which I need to scroll the log in irssi. Apparently the terminal software should have gestures for those (two-finger swipe), but it looks like they've been broken since the 2.0 firmware. ESC-p/n works, but is a bit of a pain (gesture + keypress) to enter.

Does the G1 keyboard have basic things like CTRL,ALT,ESC,PGUP/PGDN, and arrow keys in it? Those would make using terminal apps so much easier.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: January 04, 2009, 08:50:28 AM

Yeah, the shipping situation for the ADP1 is a bit crazy.  It's being looked into.

Keyboard photo: http://flickr.com/photos/broo2/2971712449/ (I just searched for g1 keyboard photos)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: February 16, 2009, 06:50:38 PM

What programs are you guys using?  I havn't saved and used many of the programs from the market other than solitaire.

I had 3 updates tonight, and I'm not sure if I downloaded them because the notifications are cleared.  Is there a way to track this?
schild
Administrator

Reply #164 on: February 16, 2009, 07:10:30 PM

What programs are you guys using?  I havn't saved and used many of the programs from the market other than solitaire.

I am actually not using any! And I only play 1 game! Trap.

I still love my android and when I get into working on it, I'll probably use it a lot more. News on the for-pay store can't come soon enough. I know if I was developing something useful and cool, I'd wait.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: February 17, 2009, 10:29:11 AM

News on the for-pay store can't come soon enough. I know if I was developing something useful and cool, I'd wait.

Paid apps are deployed in the latest (RC33) release on G1.  I believe people will be able to buy paid apps this week:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/13/google-now-accepting-paid-apps-in-android-market/
Log in to your android market publishing account -- I believe the interface for setting everything up is live.

Also, for hard-keyboard-haters:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/17/htc-magic-is-official-bringing-android-to-vodafone-sans-keyboar/
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: February 17, 2009, 01:31:25 PM

So I read somewhere that you can "root" (hack? Don't know what this means) your phone so you can have mutli touch screens and a browser that auto turns when you turn the phone.

Anyone know anything about this?
schild
Administrator

Reply #167 on: February 17, 2009, 01:50:42 PM

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: February 22, 2009, 06:57:12 AM

paid apps are up.

ton of apps just got released, although nothing realy grabbing me right now

the dev phones can tether now though for a 9 buck ap on the market. loks like it anyway
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: February 22, 2009, 12:47:52 PM

Finally. Couldn't come soon enough for G1 to eventually maybe become a serious end-user competitor. You've all by now I'm sure saw this article (most people don't use the app after day 1, there's not a huge difference between free and for-pay usage so go for-pay, etc).

I'm also trying to dig up this other article I saw a few weeks back that the AppStore accounted for something like 11-15% (why I'm trying to dig it up) of all mobile downloads in 2008. All mobile downloads, onto a device that at best represents 1-2% of all mobile handsets out there, and then only if you include the non-cell Touch.

Edit: Found it: Of the 8.5mil people who downloaded a mobile game in November 2008, 14% of them were on the iPhone. Additionally, 6 of the top 10 mobile devices used for downloads were smartphones, iPhone and BB Curve at the top.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:11:43 AM by Darniaq »
Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: February 23, 2009, 06:05:52 AM

This looks really interesting, plenty of my mates went crazy when the iPhone got released but I was more meh than ooohh!
But this androide stuff looks a lot more ooohhh to me, but of course in my old fucking Switzerland we don't even have a release date yet.

You guys have any clue? When is it released in Europe?

Also forgot to mention that T-Mobile does not do Switzerland, are we doomed ?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:07:55 AM by Le0 »
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #171 on: February 23, 2009, 06:10:07 AM

This looks really interesting, plenty of my mates went crazy when the iPhone got released but I was more meh than ooohh!
But this androide stuff looks a lot more ooohhh to me, but of course in my old fucking Switzerland we don't even have a release date yet.

You guys have any clue? When is it released in Europe?

Also forgot to mention that T-Mobile does not do Switzerland, are we doomed ?

T-Mobile.de are advertising it - clicky, tempted to get one myself as I'm shopping for a new phone at the moment.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #172 on: February 23, 2009, 08:11:35 AM

Ive been looking at it, but we dont have the 3G network in Louisville yet. So no real point in getting it.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: February 23, 2009, 10:49:44 AM

Ive been looking at it, but we dont have the 3G network in Louisville yet. So no real point in getting it.

Given the critera you've expressed as mandatory, multiple day battery life for excursions and the like, I'd fully reccommend you giving thie g1 a miss.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: February 23, 2009, 11:52:09 AM

I really can't sort the market though to see what's free and what's paid for.  At least I havn't been updated to do so yet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: