Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:38:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 814705 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 23, 2008, 08:29:46 PM

Well now I have to buy it.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #71 on: October 23, 2008, 08:47:08 PM

It appears to be the very Hellgate: London of cell phones.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
schild
Administrator

Reply #72 on: October 23, 2008, 08:48:19 PM

Edit: Actually no, I'm not even responding to that. Don't be a tool. ZombieSigne
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 23, 2008, 09:10:09 PM

Note to Android software developers — Would it be so hard to add a touchscreen keyboard, such as the iPhone has?

why so serious?

I won't even buy a phone without a real keyboard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #74 on: October 23, 2008, 09:15:10 PM

Note to Android software developers — Would it be so hard to add a touchscreen keyboard, such as the iPhone has?

why so serious?

I won't even buy a phone without a real keyboard.
This.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 23, 2008, 11:46:12 PM

It appears to be the very Hellgate: London of cell phones.
Well that's hurtful.

As for keypads, I've been holding out for well over 2 years for a sweet qwerty key pad. I think this may just be my future lover.

Schild, you've sold it better than any mere schill could. Is it the google love? Is it the D? Who knows
schild
Administrator

Reply #76 on: October 23, 2008, 11:57:21 PM

Oh this keypad isn't the end all of cell phone keypads. I never said that. It's an HTC pad. If you don't know what you're getting into, go try it. I like HTC pads. But it's no Model M. Honestly though, I take what I can get when it comes to tech keyboards. I like the HTCs more than the blackberries but not as much as the new sidekick.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: October 24, 2008, 06:20:21 AM

The trackball thingy is awesome too.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #78 on: October 24, 2008, 06:53:38 AM

One of my big reasons for jumping out of T-Mobile was I found, at least in my office building (majority of my time), that I got zero signal.  So his inside buildings complaint is not completely unwarranted.
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: October 24, 2008, 10:24:50 AM

One of my big reasons for jumping out of T-Mobile was I found, at least in my office building (majority of my time), that I got zero signal.  So his inside buildings complaint is not completely unwarranted.

Hence why I said that was possible with _any_ phone.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 24, 2008, 12:16:29 PM

I now own one.  I feel like a better person too.
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: October 24, 2008, 12:17:23 PM

Oh oh, we should be friends. We can IM eachother from our phones. Did you notice that all the IM apps are different and can run at the same time and drop IMs onto the bar at the top when you get a new one? DO YOU HAVE ANY CLUE HOW AWESOME TEXT MESSAGING IS YET I HAVE UNLIMITED TEXTS LETS BE FRIENDS.

please
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 24, 2008, 01:36:03 PM

I like the HTCs more than the blackberries but not as much as the new sidekick.

How is the keyboard different from the Sidekick? From the pictures they look the same. The sidekick one is a solid piece of rubber and the buttons are under it. Does the G1 have separate buttons?

The trackball thing looks just like the Sidekick LX one too.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 24, 2008, 01:45:13 PM

Oh oh, we should be friends. We can IM eachother from our phones. Did you notice that all the IM apps are different and can run at the same time and drop IMs onto the bar at the top when you get a new one? DO YOU HAVE ANY CLUE HOW AWESOME TEXT MESSAGING IS YET I HAVE UNLIMITED TEXTS LETS BE FRIENDS.

please

I only use MSN these days, havn't used AIM in ages.

BUT I HAVE A BROWN G1 AND IT IS THE BEST.

I need a GPS button too and a new clock.

My battery is dead.

My first G1 was broken and I had to get a new one.

Can I be your friend?   why so serious?
schild
Administrator

Reply #84 on: October 24, 2008, 01:47:31 PM

I like the HTCs more than the blackberries but not as much as the new sidekick.

How is the keyboard different from the Sidekick? From the pictures they look the same. The sidekick one is a solid piece of rubber and the buttons are under it. Does the G1 have separate buttons?

The trackball thing looks just like the Sidekick LX one too.
Seperate buttons, but they're nearly flush with eachother to pack them all in.
schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: October 24, 2008, 01:48:29 PM

please

I only use MSN these days, havn't used AIM in ages.

BUT I HAVE A BROWN G1 AND IT IS THE BEST.

I need a GPS button too and a new clock.

My battery is dead.

My first G1 was broken and I had to get a new one.

Can I be your friend?   why so serious?
Phones should have friend lists, man that'd be rad. Instead of a contact list, a desktop where it shows people who are online. How neat.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #86 on: October 24, 2008, 02:02:06 PM

You guys are right, this phone is fucking billiant, the touch screen keyboard is really awesome. Shame we all have to use AT&T though.

So, did you get the 8gb or the 16gb? Black or White?
schild
Administrator

Reply #87 on: October 24, 2008, 02:28:37 PM

You guys are right, this phone is fucking billiant, the touch screen keyboard is really awesome. Shame we all have to use AT&T though.

So, did you get the 8gb or the 16gb? Black or White?
I think you confused this thread for the artsy asshole effete snob turtleneck thread, which is further down.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 24, 2008, 02:30:39 PM

Now I will sit quietly in the corner and wait for some enterprising lawsuit hunting hacker to build Android for the iPhone.

- Viin
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 24, 2008, 02:50:34 PM

i think i saw in the manuel if someone in your contacts is online there is a green light... so a friends list
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #90 on: October 24, 2008, 04:20:33 PM

i think i saw in the manuel

Leave Manuel alone.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #91 on: October 24, 2008, 09:15:44 PM

Got one.  Great phone.  Writing apps for Android is a breeze.  Conchords in the included music is winful. 

The battery life is absolutely fucking horrifying.  The only way to get a full day out of it is to disable half the features, notably WiFi, GPS, and (for real power-saving) use of the 3G network.  If you leave WiFi on you'll run your battery to 0 in a few hours, without actually doing anything.  Just letting it sit on a shelf.  Total garbage.  I had to install AnyCut to get a desktop shortcut to the network settings interface, since I have to toggle them 8 times a day.

Otherwise, stellar.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
schild
Administrator

Reply #92 on: October 24, 2008, 09:21:50 PM

Ah yes, battery life. I should've complained about that, but it won't ever really effect me because you can charge from fucking anything with a USB jack and I'm sitting at my own desk most of the time. My bad.

Yes, the battery life is a fucking problem. I'd suspect they release a better battery eventually though.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #93 on: October 25, 2008, 10:50:10 AM

The black is uglier than the white... but I'm not quite sold on that either.

I like the general idea though...but won't switch carriers.. look forward to more models.

[edit] Wait, what? Brown G1? swamp poop
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 10:53:15 AM by Stray »
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #94 on: October 25, 2008, 11:05:59 AM

It's bronze, not brown.  I have one.  It looks like a metallic black.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #95 on: October 25, 2008, 11:10:18 AM

Ah.

I guess on a sidenote, I wouldn't mind seeing more olive/metallic olive phones, as far as earthy colors go.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 27, 2008, 05:27:08 PM

Hrm, a friend showed me his and I tried it out for 2 minutes.  Loaded a web page and scrolling via touchscreen was extremely laggy and non-smooth (unlike my experience with an iphone, and no I don't own an iphone).  Then the battery warning came up and I handed it back to him.

wasn't impressed, but then again right now I'm happy with m non-data phone anyways.
schild
Administrator

Reply #97 on: October 27, 2008, 08:01:44 PM

Hrm, a friend showed me his and I tried it out for 2 minutes.  Loaded a web page and scrolling via touchscreen was extremely laggy and non-smooth (unlike my experience with an iphone, and no I don't own an iphone).  Then the battery warning came up and I handed it back to him.

wasn't impressed, but then again right now I'm happy with m non-data phone anyways.

What webpage? I really haven't experienced that. As mentioned, battery is pretty poopy, but mine lasted all day today and I had the GPS on.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #98 on: October 27, 2008, 08:58:35 PM

Ah yes, battery life. I should've complained about that, but it won't ever really effect me because you can charge from fucking anything with a USB jack and I'm sitting at my own desk most of the time. My bad.

Yes, the battery life is a fucking problem. I'd suspect they release a better battery eventually though.

That just killed it for me. Bought my wife a Blackberry Curve a few weeks ago. Her Blackberry was 2 years old or so and the side scroll wheel was shot to hell.
Based on Schild's review i was going to run out and buy this G1 this week for me....but battery life that shitty? You have to disable half the features to get a full days use out of it?
My wife has unlimited broadband/WiFi and GPS and gets DAYS and DAYS of useage between charges on her Blackberry. Im always running around town and having to charge constantly would kill all joy for me.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: October 27, 2008, 09:04:24 PM

I figure I'm going to buy a charger dock for the car because I fucking hate hate hate hate leaving it sitting on it's back as I don't want to scuff it. The moment that happens, all my battery woes will float away. As such, I can say I'm not particularly worried. Like, at all.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: October 27, 2008, 09:11:28 PM

To be fair, the iPhone has pretty crappy battery life too, with all the toys turned on. One of the things that pisses my off about mine, is that an app or something gets stuck and keeps running in the background sometimes - I can go from a full battery to almost dead in 6hrs, all the while the phone should have been 'sleeping' and has been sitting on my desk (not plugged in). Still haven't figured out what causes that, as 3G is normally off and it does it regardless of that setting. But not all the time!

- Viin
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 27, 2008, 09:23:30 PM

To be fair, the iPhone has pretty crappy battery life too, with all the toys turned on. One of the things that pisses my off about mine, is that an app or something gets stuck and keeps running in the background sometimes - I can go from a full battery to almost dead in 6hrs, all the while the phone should have been 'sleeping' and has been sitting on my desk (not plugged in). Still haven't figured out what causes that, as 3G is normally off and it does it regardless of that setting. But not all the time!

Okay. So the question is why can Blackbery run wifi and GPS for days and days with no problem and it seems neither Apple nor Google phones can?

I havent used either the Apple or Google phones, but as I mnetioned above my wife has the Blackberry Curve (her 3rd or 4th blackberry) and as far as she or I can tell GPS and wifi are running full time. She usually goes 2-3 days between charges. This is her primary business phone as well so she is doing LOTS of talk time.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 27, 2008, 09:26:16 PM

Well it's not 3G, so that keeps battery life down a lot too. For wifi and GPS I would guess they aren't actually "on" unless called on by an app (ie: you need a data connection to pull a web page, then it might try to make a wifi connection - either that, or it's got some awesome wifi hardware that hardly uses anything juice, but I doubt that). With no 3G and sleeping wifi/gps it should last a long time. My iPhone will last 2 maybe 3 days if all that is off and some background app doesn't get stuck.

I assume the large touch screen probably also pulls more juice than the smaller non-touch screen the BBs have.

- Viin
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #103 on: October 27, 2008, 10:30:05 PM

Based on Schild's review i was going to run out and buy this G1 this week for me....but battery life that shitty? You have to disable half the features to get a full days use out of it?
My wife has unlimited broadband/WiFi and GPS and gets DAYS and DAYS of useage between charges on her Blackberry. Im always running around town and having to charge constantly would kill all joy for me.

It really depends on coverage and usage.  With the radio off, standby current is ~1.2mA which is about 960hours.  Radio on, ~4.5mA (decent coverage) which is about 250hours.  Of course sync and so on will cut into that.  With a dedicated gmail account (light email traffic, light IM traffic), sync on, signed into IM, I see 2-3 days standby with relatively light usage.

Beware some of the "mobile social network" apps that cleverly try to get a gps fix every N minutes, etc.  They are death.  If you have really heavy mail traffic, you might want to set up a dedicated account and only forward stuff that's interesting for mobile.

We're working to improve battery life in future software versions.

- Q
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 27, 2008, 10:35:42 PM

It really depends on coverage and usage.  With the radio off, standby current is ~1.2mA which is about 960hours.  Radio on, ~4.5mA (decent coverage) which is about 250hours.  Of course sync and so on will cut into that.  With a dedicated gmail account (light email traffic, light IM traffic), sync on, signed into IM, I see 2-3 days standby with relatively light usage.

Beware some of the "mobile social network" apps that cleverly try to get a gps fix every N minutes, etc.  They are death.  If you have really heavy mail traffic, you might want to set up a dedicated account and only forward stuff that's interesting for mobile.

We're working to improve battery life in future software versions.

- Q

Okay 2-3 days is about average. Will have to see. But if it really is around 24 hours or so as others have mentioned in this thread......its useless as far as Im concerned.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: