Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:09:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? Rendakor and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2231441 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5460 on: January 06, 2012, 04:19:18 AM

I'm not sure it applies to the Riddler trophies, I think he was going on about the achievements.  I know for sure I fucked up the 'catch' achievement and you only get a couple of shots at that.

Which is not so lame since, you know, FUCK achievements.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5461 on: January 06, 2012, 06:04:29 AM

Picked up Persona 4 again and started a new playthrough. Man I missed this game, and REALLY want P5 like, now.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5462 on: January 06, 2012, 09:11:08 AM

I know for sure I fucked up the 'catch' achievement and you only get a couple of shots at that.

I just Youtubed this and I was astonished.  I caught my own remote batarang and got the achievement.  Because I'm the God-damned Batman.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5463 on: January 06, 2012, 09:27:00 AM

Picked up Persona 4 again and started a new playthrough. Man I missed this game, and REALLY want P5 like, now.

I left it at the very last dungeon.  I really didn't do any guides or min/max at all, so I doubt I'll get the best ending.  I think poking around after I had stopped playing, showed that you needed to do a lot of stuff post end boss to ensure the "best" ending.  Not sure if it's even doable at the social levels I had.

I really should go back and finish it, but I don't think I'll remember enough to make it all worthwhile.   

Still mainly just playing SWTOR and LoL.  Had a very bad night playing LoL last night.  That sort of experience just..  makes me want to keep playing.  Ohhhhh, I see.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5464 on: January 06, 2012, 09:33:01 AM

SWTOR, SWTOR, SWTOR, and more SWTOR.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5465 on: January 06, 2012, 10:28:12 AM

I left it at the very last dungeon.  I really didn't do any guides or min/max at all, so I doubt I'll get the best ending.  I think poking around after I had stopped playing, showed that you needed to do a lot of stuff post end boss to ensure the "best" ending.  Not sure if it's even doable at the social levels I had.

I really should go back and finish it, but I don't think I'll remember enough to make it all worthwhile.   
I never finished it either; my old playthrough I had stopped sometime in August (in game that is, shortly after getting Rise IIRC). I loaded it up and looked at my S Links, but too much of it was unfamiliar for me to continue so I just rerolled. I'm doing the opposite clubs now, and plan to romance different party members this time to at least make it feel fresh. Even that's not really necessary though, since it's been so long since I've played it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5466 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:41 PM

SWTOR, SWTOR, SWTOR, and more SWTOR.

Has Sjofn lapped you in levels on character 2 (or 3) yet?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #5467 on: January 06, 2012, 05:32:00 PM

Not quite, I have two characters that are level 27-ish in addition to my 50 though.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #5468 on: January 06, 2012, 07:36:09 PM

Just finished off Orcs Must Die!  Really enjoyed the fuck out of that one.  Great for 20-30 minutes of gameplay, and completely satisfying.   Probably going to move on to Serious Sam 3 next.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5469 on: January 07, 2012, 04:03:40 PM

Battlefield 3, Saints Row 3, World of Warcraft. Not much else.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5470 on: January 07, 2012, 04:24:05 PM

Picked up DoW 2: Retribution on Steam sale, so finished that single player campaign.   Pretty decent.  I liked playing as Imperial Guard, also neat that you can play the campaign as any army, but the missions are mostly the same.  Also playing Tribes: Ascend more again, the game is getting better with every patch, but it still has some serious work to be done.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5471 on: January 07, 2012, 11:17:45 PM

Got the sudden itch and started playing X3: Terran Conflict again after watching this tutorial series. After a slower-than-expected start, I'm finally raking in the dough and doing some exploring and combat now that I'm free from the burdens of having to do all my own trading.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #5472 on: January 08, 2012, 07:11:18 AM

I randomly bought A New Beginning from the Gamersgate sale. I only played a few minutes, but it has all the ingredients to be totally awesome. Although nothing will ever beat that old French time travel adventure game for PC and Amiga, you know, the one with paint stained trousers as copy protection.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5473 on: January 08, 2012, 08:10:03 AM

Got the sudden itch and started playing X3: Terran Conflict again after watching this tutorial series. After a slower-than-expected start, I'm finally raking in the dough and doing some exploring and combat now that I'm free from the burdens of having to do all my own trading.

I really want to like X3, but I can't find the time required to play it.  That's a pretty decent video series to get a newb started, though.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #5474 on: January 08, 2012, 08:11:33 AM

Just digging holes in Terraria - tried a bit of King Arthur 2, it was fine, but I prefer to dig holes. Beat the Wall. Now onto Hardmode with a friend. Fun times.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5475 on: January 08, 2012, 11:00:12 PM

One weekend The Old Republic and I am annoyed with it already. The story elements would are nice, but the immersion breaking MMO elements shine through in this game just like in all the others. I must be broken, because perfectly valid mechanics (like respawning crates you have to destroy and thus wait in turn if others are present as well) make me hate a game.

I think I will try to see most of the story in the three months that came with the game and then forget about it like all the other MMOs. It seems this is the next generation of MMOs where they removed even more stuff that made previous MMOs tedious, but Everquest ultimately destroyed me for the genre. I will have to accept that.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #5476 on: January 09, 2012, 08:40:08 PM

...tried a bit of King Arthur 2, it was fine...
How does it compare to the first game? I liked the first one quite a bit, in a janky sort of way.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5477 on: January 09, 2012, 08:52:23 PM

Ooh, I didn't realize that was out.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #5478 on: January 09, 2012, 11:20:15 PM

...tried a bit of King Arthur 2, it was fine...
How does it compare to the first game? I liked the first one quite a bit, in a janky sort of way.

I want to state first that I am a terrible reviewer. I don't know how to balance the good and the bad, and sometimes I over-exaggerate the issues I face. But please, do tell me where I'm wrong. I really want to know why my heart isn't burning with desire to play this game.

Perhaps it's because I am no longer King Arthur?

This is basically the gist of the opening slides: King Arthur successfully reunited the southern Britain. Romans in the north is getting beat down by barbarian hordes. You are Septimus, you lost a battle, the horde now broke through Hadrian's Wall. Now win it back.

Why am I not King Arthur? This is something that disconnected me from the whole game premise. No more Sir Kay, no more Sir Gareth. It's all Septimus. And other latin names I have to re-learn. Oboroohgawdiamgonnacum.

Am I willing to forgive the game for that? I don't think so. It's a stupid reason, but I can't overcome that barrier. Now, on to the good. (or bad)

Heroes abilities are revamped.

Skill picks are slightly toned down this time. Heroes no longer have bonus skill pools that they can pick. Probably to balance the game slightly better, cause I remember unique heroes like Sir Balin, the Champion with Dragon's Breath is imbalanced. I have no complaints. Except for the UI not being clear enough how to confirm or deselect my choices. Also, the text font is kinda small for such a crucial pick. This is a permanent choice that may affect how the game is played - why is it so hard to read?

Do you know why some prints are made fine in contracts?
I think it's to make it difficult to read, trapping the signer with conditions and clauses he isn't aware of at the time of signing.
Why would you want to do that to skill descriptions?

Moving on, nothing changes with the unit skills and advancement. Stamina is replaced with...Will to Fight.

Research trees

The research mechanics are changed. You need to increase Lore to unlock new research options. Lores aren't spent. It simply is a minimum level you must reach before the option is available. Once it's available. You spend gold and wait for it to complete.

To be honest, I did not delve enough to see if techs actually made a noticeable difference, but yes, unit improvement options are tied to research level.

If you look at the bottom of the screen-cap above, there's Blackcarts - Trader. This is a 'location.' In King Arthur 2, you control locations - and they give upgrade options. The trader sells artifacts - upgrade his shop and he might expand his selection or reset his artifacts more often. Other locations include your own castle - as well as village of spearmen, village of archers, village of cavalry, and village of .. you get the idea.

Is everything incline or decline so far? I am not sure. I am cold. But here's what makes me warm inside. Slightly. It tingles.

The Quest

A wide array of choices are available to the player when they undertake quests. Battle - Adventure etc. Pay attention to the I , II and III tabs. I don't know why the devs did not name it better. But tab I gives another set of choices that relates to Good morality. Tab II (what the above screencap shows) gives Tyrant options. Tab III is mostly alternate means with no morality attached or other political gains/loss you can get out of the quest. (Shown below)

Battle

The addition of flying creatures adds a new dimension of threat to warfare. Just like cliffracers of Morrowind. These guys are annoying as hell and has no terrain penalty. Capping points and homing in on archers with quick effeciency.

Other than new skill sets and spell resist & penetration mechanics. Not much has changed. Spells are no longer 100% guaranteed to work. Armies have a level of magic shield that must be whittled down before spells can affect them. Reduction or increase of magic shield can be gained either from captured special locations in the battlefield or sacrificing your unit lives.

Is this game still pretty good looking? Well, yes.

But do you play the game with that sort of perspective? No. This is what you'll see most of the time:

And I have a niggling annoyance in this game - I can't tell units apart from a glance.

The banners are just too small. I have the option of selecting it from the army bar at the bottom. But really, it shouldn't be the case. It ends up being a RTwP battle cause I had to constantly double check what is the army being attacked at the moment or the location of the archer I just selected. That, or zoom in or mouseover. Those alternatives aren't as pleasing (to me, at least) compared to just having a bigger banner with icon over the unit.

Conclusion: I'm stupid. A very stupid man who likes to dig tunnels to hell and mine stuff.

This game has improved upon the original.
Tweaked the balance, letting the army do the work instead of heroes being Kal-El.
Has amazing soundtrack that I listen to while writing this review.
And great production values and art.

I shouldn't be too harsh.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5479 on: January 10, 2012, 01:13:09 AM

I had the impression from somewhere that you go back to being King Arthur after the Sulla prologue thing, but I'm not really sure where.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5480 on: January 10, 2012, 01:30:52 AM

Playing a lot of Shogun 2.  Pretty fun when the AI doesn't completely "Whelp" itself.  Though when it does (like running two generals headlong into a huge mass of Yari I kept on my flanks) it's hilarious to watch the ensuing rout.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5481 on: January 10, 2012, 07:19:08 AM

Sort of hopping between FFIII on my iPhone and Bloons Tower Defense 4 on the interwebz.

I don't have the stomach for a full on game these days, I think it is the working 60 hours a week at 2.2 jobs thing.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5482 on: January 10, 2012, 07:24:24 AM

Someone missed the Biif exit on the internets superhighways.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #5483 on: January 10, 2012, 12:37:00 PM

<review stuff>
Thanks, did you write that for f13 or RPGWatch, since I just found your post over there? awesome, for real

To respond, I wasn't super enamoured with KA1 either, it was just fresh enough to be entertaining. It was a bit undercooked, there were a LOT of systems in KA1 (Lords of the Realm + Heroes of MM + Total War trying to get along), many of which weren't that significant to success. It had lots of problems in fact but the ambition and soul poured into the game made up for it somehow. Besides, the mix of religion, low fantasy and the supernatural was pretty damn cool.

A simplification isn't a bad thing in this case, I'll check it out once work calms down.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:38:57 PM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #5484 on: January 10, 2012, 04:58:19 PM

Woo, Hall and Oates DLC for Rock Band 3.   awesome, for real Get off my lawn!

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5485 on: January 10, 2012, 05:08:36 PM

I can't go for that.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #5486 on: January 10, 2012, 05:17:23 PM

No-o-ooo?
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #5487 on: January 10, 2012, 05:28:34 PM

<review stuff>
Thanks, did you write that for f13 or RPGWatch, since I just found your post over there? awesome, for real

No, actually I wrote it for RPGCodex, the den of scum and villainy.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5488 on: January 10, 2012, 06:20:37 PM

I can't go for that.

You're out of touch.

WayAbvPar

Reply #5489 on: January 11, 2012, 01:08:20 PM

You fuckers think you are soooo clever. Made me try to think of another H&O song and now I have fucking MANEATER stuck in my head. Someone will pay for this.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5490 on: January 11, 2012, 01:09:12 PM

You fuckers think you are soooo clever. Made me try to think of another H&O song and now I have fucking MANEATER stuck in my head. Someone will pay for this.

ROFL

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5491 on: January 11, 2012, 01:11:33 PM

So basically you're saying private eyes are watching us?

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #5492 on: January 11, 2012, 01:14:27 PM

Nelly's maneater?

All I can ask is, how did you manage that?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5493 on: January 11, 2012, 01:18:14 PM

Nelly's maneater?

All I can ask is, how did you manage that?

Seriously?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5494 on: January 11, 2012, 01:32:12 PM

So basically you're saying private eyes are watching us?

Some things are better left unsaid.

Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: