Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 05:53:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 959420 times)
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #2065 on: March 14, 2015, 01:55:29 AM

why so serious?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2066 on: March 14, 2015, 06:12:50 AM

Stretch goal could be to reduce the size of the files. But all things considered, the way this church works this will just be additional publicity. And the zealots will just use it as a way to prove that their god is bigger and better than all the other ones.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2067 on: March 14, 2015, 06:40:48 AM

I wonder how many people with capped bandwidth are suddenly coming to terms with their inability to ever download their "investments".
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2068 on: March 14, 2015, 08:51:17 AM

Surprised I haven't seen this posted.

30 minutes into the PAX presentation they show off the zero-g arena FPS gameplay
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2069 on: March 14, 2015, 08:54:41 AM

Just what I always wanted in my open world space simulator, an arena fps mode.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2070 on: March 14, 2015, 09:05:52 AM

KallDrexx that has been posted here and there (on f13) before. It just doesn't get any attention because, even in the dream world where this game will get made, that FPS arena part is the least interesting of all, and that video is a huge pile of meh.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2071 on: March 14, 2015, 10:03:40 AM

I wonder how many people with capped bandwidth are suddenly coming to terms with their inability to ever download their "investments".
For an extra $1000, we'll mail you the game on a bunch of BluRays! For $200,000, we'll also do it for every patch ever, for the life of the game.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2072 on: March 14, 2015, 10:15:37 AM

KallDrexx that has been posted here and there (on f13) before. It just doesn't get any attention because, even in the dream world where this game will get made, that FPS arena part is the least interesting of all, and that video is a huge pile of meh.

It was on PAX East, and the video was only uploaded 5 days ago.  

*Edit:* Also, it may be the least important part but they are spending resources on it, which then becomes why are they spending resources on it, which doesn't bode well for other aspects.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:23:55 AM by KallDrexx »
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2073 on: March 14, 2015, 12:44:09 PM

Well this "Module" style devleopment they are going for means they are going to have all these little stand alone bits of game.  I still don't quite understand how it is all going to get jammed together.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2074 on: March 14, 2015, 01:51:44 PM

For an extra $1000, we'll mail you the game on a bunch of BluRays! For $200,000, we'll also do it for every patch ever, for the life of the game.
For just 100k Chris Roberts will deliver you the initial launch build on the disc... personally.

(what's the odds they'd get at least a dozen buyers)
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2075 on: March 15, 2015, 08:37:25 AM

They can take your 100k and spend 3k to buy you plane tickets to whatever "release day" convention center, whereby you can stand in line and Chris Roberts can indeed give you your disc personally. 

I would totally set up that deal, were I Chris Roberts.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #2076 on: March 15, 2015, 02:02:42 PM

That sort of huge size is nothing new to those of us who enjoy flight and space sims. The next version of Orbiter looks like it's going to clock in at well over a hundred gigs, if you get the high def Earth and Lunar surfaces. And those of us on reduced bandwidth (which is certainly me) have learned ways to circumvent those restrictions to download even 30 gig games.

That said, it remains to be seen if Star Citizen is going to be worth going to the trouble for...
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2077 on: March 15, 2015, 06:59:21 PM

Well this "Module" style devleopment they are going for means they are going to have all these little stand alone bits of game.  I still don't quite understand how it is all going to get jammed together.

Let me attempt to give you a more detailed point of view that goes beyond the "OMG best thing evar/OMG scam" loop.
----------

As far as we know, the entire project is being worked on by almost 300 critters. Quite a lot seems changed since about 1/1.5 year ago: there is now a Director for the Persistent Universe, a director for the single-player campaign, a couple studio coordinators, executive producer, producers etc. Now, competent or not, inflated or not, it's surely better compared to when Roberts had to track everything down almost by himself. I assume there is some common technical paper among the various studios so they know what the common goal is no matter the daily hurdles they're going to face, but maybe I'm assuming too much  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Looks like it has also reduced the risk of "backtracking" too much on stuff they showed a couple years ago; now, some is inevitable: after all, there might be things in common design-wise, but this is not exactly your next run-of-the-mill DIKU. They're currently reworking the visual of some of the early ships, but that's understandable. Tweaks on the flying system/ship weapon balance/ship HUD and UI will be an ongoing work 'til it's locked for the single-player campaign (although some things might be different between the SP campaign and the persistent universe, when it comes to the ship HUD/UI)

Plus:

- Next Arena Commander patch will introduce multiplayer hangars;
- Next patch will also include a manual/automatic landing system on platforms that will be included in the "free flight" maps. ;

In theory, if they didn't treat the current space portion as a different beast, they already have a working "mini-loop" there (but I'm sure there is a seamless one already working internally):

- Flying in space - check
- Automatic approach/landing sequence on a planet - check (shown back in October: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xvCg8CI9U&ab_channel=StarCitizen)
- Walking around a planetside location - check (see the previous video)
- Buy/sell stuff, use the trade UI - check (mobiGlass, shown in a previous Design post; will be included in the forthcoming "social module")
- Hangar/home for ships - check

Only thing they haven't shown is taking off from a planet (the exit sequence, in other words).

The FPS arenas are, of course, just a "test bed" for other mechanics:

- boarding a ship
- Planetside locations that will feature PvP, but also those included in the single-player campaign against the AI.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2078 on: March 15, 2015, 07:47:07 PM

I too appreciate your updates, Lucas.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2079 on: March 15, 2015, 08:13:19 PM

New "montage" from SXSW; from 2:25 and onward (before it's just recycled material) is all new stuff pertaining to the ArcCorp planetside location, now populated and with more shops/interiors (bar looks pretty nice):

https://youtu.be/sbZLbb0_RBI

Yep, little peek at the planetary "exit" sequence too (or, at least, the beginning of it :P)  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #2080 on: March 15, 2015, 08:49:17 PM

To be honest, the damage model was really cool, but the FPS seemed a tad janky for me.

I remain deeply suspicious, but this is honestly win/win. Either the game releases and is awesome, releases and is mediocre/terrible, or never releases at all - I am thoroughly entertained regardless.

My money is on the mediocre release.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2081 on: March 15, 2015, 09:10:22 PM

More likely it continues to release slowly over several years. People already heavily invested in it will keep throwing money at it to keep development going. There isn't going to be one singular point in time where the game is either canceled or released. I think anybody expecting some sort of apocalyptic train wreck moment are going to be disappointed.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2082 on: March 17, 2015, 10:08:09 AM

Well this "Module" style devleopment they are going for means they are going to have all these little stand alone bits of game.  I still don't quite understand how it is all going to get jammed together.

They are not really stand alone, they use shared assets/code. Player/ship models/textures/animations and code are all shared.

More info on the damage model rework: Link to Powerpoint

Stretch goal could be to reduce the size of the files. But all things considered, the way this church works this will just be additional publicity. And the zealots will just use it as a way to prove that their god is bigger and better than all the other ones.

File size should not surprise anyone at this point. Many newer games clock in at the 60gb mark recently. With the fidelity going into this title, 100gb is likely conservative, and that's with compression and smart reuse. Many early backers are entitled to a USB drive with the game on it ( as per the pledge rewards ). The ships themselves have what would normally be entire levels of focus applied to them, as some are levels worth of complexity.

Lucus is correct, the enders game portion is the perfect test bed for zero-g maneuvering, that will be used in the larger world for things like EVA outside your ship. So the approach of making it a mini-game is completely appropriate. In AC right now, you can leave your ship and see an early version, likely to be updated when the FPS portion is released. Its all rolls back into itself.

I think part of the issue is comprehension. Not many are used to seeing something like a game made, and all the iterations and components being worked and reworked. With each bit of information ( and there is nearly a constant stream ) many treat it as if its the typical "4 months to release" info dump. The damage model is a great example of iteration, and wholly confused commenters. When the first iteration is treated as "the finial" one and the second, and quite possibly not even last method is vastly different. Most people I suspect are not accustomed to seeing the guts of development, even SC for all its transparency, its still sanitized and compiled. Many are simply used to normal patterns of information in the few months leading up-to launch, so every bit of info that the media cares to share ( witch seems to mostly be focused on the money, Not really CIGS' fault, the details and info about subsystems are available ) becomes the next "Final" version in many viewers minds.

Not sure if it was ever posted, but remember the Mocap studio they set up? Inside CIG: Imaginarium
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:33:28 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2083 on: March 21, 2015, 12:20:14 AM

With each bit of information ( and there is nearly a constant stream ) many treat it as if its the typical "4 months to release" info dump.

eh maayyybe

i feel a bit better about this sordid project overall merely knowing that the actual employees and even probably the devs working on this game find the fans to be totally bugfuck
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2084 on: March 23, 2015, 04:39:14 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr6AekjywFI

The mighty Jingles downloads Star Citizen - taking 7 and a half hours to do so and what he has at the ehld is the same game he had 6 months ago... with 2 new ships, one of which he cant fly as its not a dogfighter.

Also the landing system is in the game!!! Except theres nothing to land on. Werll theres a couple of places on a few of the deathmatch maps where you can land. And then you can take off again. And that's it.

He's a bit cheesed off. But he does spend most of the video wandering around his new ship and goes oooh and ahh a lot. And with good reason as its fucking gorgeous. No denying it, it's a stunning piece of design. (Yours to sit in your hanger and do nothing for only $300)

But yeah the beginning and end of the video is vintage Jingles ranting. Enjoy

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2085 on: March 23, 2015, 11:47:35 AM

who the fuck is jingles
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2086 on: March 23, 2015, 11:48:08 AM

who the fuck is jingles

Thank goodness I'm not the only one.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #2087 on: March 23, 2015, 11:52:18 AM

He's mostly noted from the WoW, WoT, and WT communities. He does a lot of streaming on Twitch and has a rather extensive YouTube site.

Old school curmudgeon.

I saw the vid. It is pretty much vintage Jingles.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2088 on: March 23, 2015, 12:15:05 PM

So the answer is "fucking nobody."

Rad.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2089 on: March 24, 2015, 09:57:49 AM

sometimes funny whiner who seems to be making decent cash off of YouTube ranting about WoT.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2090 on: April 12, 2015, 01:23:37 PM

Some updates:

- March monthly report (as always, a nice and in-depth read about the progress made by each CIG branch):
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14640-Monthly-Report-March

- Here's a more detailed post about the current manual/automatic landing system (scroll down a bit):
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14572-Star-Citizen-11-Is-Live

- Another endless money pit CIG Studio has been unveiled: CIG Frankfurt!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14648-Inside-CIG-Foundry-42-Germany

Roberts basically raked in all the ex Crytek guys and put them in an office. They'll help with engineering and R&D about other stuff (probably the procedural stuff Roberts want to integrate later in the game); they're also helping the Manchester branch with Squadron 42.

Hereby I present: Breathing Marine Simulator Commander 2015!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14653-Design-FPS-Stances-Breathing

Nothing really new about the stances compared to other games in the FPS genre: it just confirms they're attempting to deliver a more detailed experience instead of implementing it as an afterthought. The breathing system sounds ridiculous, but I'll be able to tell you more once "Star Marine" gets released (no official news, but I think it's being delayed because they're experiencing a lot of problems in the multiplayer environment of Arena Commander. Consider that the FPS module will be exclusively PvP, at least with the initial release).
-----

I finally assembled my new rig, so I'm now actually able to play it at 60fps instead of 5-10 :P; hopefully I'll get around writing more detailed impressions relatively soon.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2091 on: April 12, 2015, 01:46:41 PM

Breathing system should pretty much be right next to the dictionary entry for feature creep.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2092 on: April 12, 2015, 02:44:33 PM

We intend to prove that breathing can be an active, interesting part of the FPS experience.

There isn't a big enough  why so serious? available, so I won't try.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2093 on: April 12, 2015, 03:28:52 PM

Late April Fools joke?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2094 on: April 12, 2015, 03:29:15 PM

Breathing... system?

Wut?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2095 on: April 12, 2015, 04:08:01 PM

It'll leave the fans gasping for air.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2096 on: April 12, 2015, 04:29:37 PM

"hold button for your sniper character to 'hold down his breath' and stop wildly swinging the gun around" has been around the block for a while now in shooters. Seems like they're just iterating on it, by attaching some fetapults and whatnot.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2097 on: April 12, 2015, 04:50:40 PM

What's a fetapult, except a cheese flinging war machine?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2098 on: April 12, 2015, 09:10:42 PM

Fetus catapult.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2099 on: April 12, 2015, 11:35:46 PM

You need to press B every 10 seconds or you die.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: