Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:58:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ 'Next' 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 60 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ 'Next'  (Read 537295 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1855 on: January 22, 2014, 04:18:15 PM

This seems pointless, since I see no way to build a true 'gameplay ecosystem'. I can make something artistic in my little plot, sure, but you're not getting enough space to populate it with quests, factions, secrets, exploration, really building something "MMO-y".

You're not supposed to. It's for creating Points of Interest that the EQN devs will poach and use to build all that around in some fashion.  If there's dungeons, they'll be dev-created unless they allow modules like STO/ Neverwinter.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1856 on: January 23, 2014, 05:39:03 PM

Quick overview of the crafting system. It's pretty much like any other crafting systems out there. I am just not sure about the altars, which are supposedly some randomly spawned uber crafting stations where you can craft things you can't craft in any other place. Dynamic, sure. Reasonable? We'll see.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1857 on: January 26, 2014, 02:55:21 PM

System reqs announced for the Landmark beta. A 20GB install and requires a 10 MBps internet connection.

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/01/26/everquest-next-landmark-alpha-requires-beefy-net-connection-moderately-beefy-pc/

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1858 on: January 26, 2014, 03:42:50 PM

10Mbit/s upstream?  swamp poop

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1859 on: January 26, 2014, 05:10:45 PM

I meet the requirements so I am gonna keep this civil, but 10 MBps connection? That's hardcore, and they probably should have mentioned that BEFORE selling those 59/99$ packages.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1860 on: January 26, 2014, 05:15:23 PM

Every generation needs a game that teaches you not to buy before you know the specs.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1861 on: January 26, 2014, 05:55:09 PM

That bandwidth has to be wrong, I technically meet that requirement but am completely at the mercy of a dozen different choke points/hops between me and SOE.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1862 on: January 26, 2014, 05:55:28 PM

They are offering full refunds to people who feel their PCs won't be able to run it. https://www.eqnlandmark.com/news/eqn-landmark-alpha-system-requirements-january-23-2014-eql

Presumably you can try to play even on a slower connection if you like and see what happens. I find it hard to believe the game actually won't work if your internet is slower than 10 mbit/s but who knows. Possibly the deformable world means the game streams large amounts of map/object data to clients?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1863 on: January 26, 2014, 06:39:54 PM

I have zero interest in landmark, have they said anything else about the real game since the announcement?

I am the .00000001428%
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1864 on: January 26, 2014, 08:12:52 PM

10mbit/s? The fuck? Have they given a rationale? Like, are they planning for each of us to host a chunk of the overall world? Is that common knowledge and I'm just catching up?

I'm well above that. And like Merusk said, don't buy before you know specs and all. But this is interesting. I don't want to think it's like when they thought people loved EQ enough to rush out to buy new hardware for what turned out to be a butt ugly game anyway. I figured they'd have long since learned from that.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1865 on: January 27, 2014, 02:54:32 AM

Except you can't really buy a faster internet. In most cases, in most countries actually, 10MBps are just not an option. At all.

Way to make your game niche by default. Weird stuff.
That's too dramatic, but the point stands.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:00:05 AM by Falconeer »

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1866 on: January 27, 2014, 03:59:57 AM

The connection speed makes sense because with everyone being able to build, they can't store the locations in an art folder. They're going to have to stream all those giant penises to you.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1867 on: January 27, 2014, 12:32:22 PM

My guess is that's it's a live, shared editing space, like what I worked with at ZOS, where everyone doing worldbuidling can see what everyone else is doing in real time. Except here, it's not over an internal network, it's over the internet.

If this is accurate - it may not be - it seems like a really dodgy/lazy design choice.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1868 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:48 PM

Not sure how else you could do it. Even in minecraft, you'd see people in adjacent chunks building away at stuff.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1869 on: January 27, 2014, 01:43:58 PM

In theory the design could have been made so if the owner is in the plot, then all modifications would happen after the owner leaves the plot, akin to instancing.  The 10mbs connection leads me to think we'll see people updating their plots on the fly.

I threw a tantrum when Oblivion came out because it released on DVD and I didn't have a player in my rig yet.  They "made" me go buy a DVD player.  :)

The 10mbs connection requirement feels like that, but on a whole new level.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1870 on: January 27, 2014, 01:59:06 PM

Elder Scrolls games have been the driving force behind 2 of my computer upgrades.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #1871 on: January 27, 2014, 02:07:11 PM

I think Falconeer's point is appropriate.  My internet is currently 9MBps.  I can not get more - not even if I threw a million dollars per month at my local telco.  I'm too far away from the local DSLAM to get any faster than that on ADSL2+, and there are no other choices here (regional city in Australia).  If they stick to needing 10MBps, they are going to have severe problems with numbers.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #1872 on: January 27, 2014, 02:20:57 PM

I was ever so vaguely interested in this, in a small and remote fashion. Then I saw the system specs. I believe the response was "ppffffffffftttttahahhahaha".

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1873 on: January 27, 2014, 02:50:48 PM

I have a great game idea, but you will need holodecks in your home.

What? You poors don't have holodecks? And you call yourself gamers...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1874 on: January 27, 2014, 03:18:38 PM

They can't mean upstream, I don't think. 10 Mbps down is not completely absurd, but for upstream speed like that I would have to buy a business class connection.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1875 on: January 27, 2014, 04:05:12 PM

I have well above this with a simple fios package. I don't see the specs as too high. Maybe the high end of gamer average.

The internet requirements are kind strange though since this country Internet infrastructure is ass outside metro area.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1876 on: January 27, 2014, 05:08:36 PM

I live in the heart of Silicon Valley. There is no FiOS here, so it isn't just non-metro areas that are a concern. Last I checked Uverse (AT&T) was 3 Mbps upstream and Xfinity (Comcast) was 5, for their top consumer packages available here. Download speeds are of course much faster, so if they only care about that, then it's not completely insane. I assume they must mean download.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1877 on: January 27, 2014, 06:34:33 PM

I have well above this with a simple fios package. I don't see the specs as too high. Maybe the high end of gamer average.

The internet requirements are kind strange though since this country Internet infrastructure is ass outside metro area.

This is the same argument that was made about D3 always on. We see how much the industry cared there.

No no. This is the new standard. Move to a "real" internet area or you need not apply.  I expect we'll continue to see more of this type of thing, possibly moving in to "free computing cycle" minimums to save the companies cash.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1878 on: January 27, 2014, 09:30:03 PM

I live in the heart of Silicon Valley. There is no FiOS here, so it isn't just non-metro areas that are a concern. Last I checked Uverse (AT&T) was 3 Mbps upstream and Xfinity (Comcast) was 5, for their top consumer packages available here. Download speeds are of course much faster, so if they only care about that, then it's not completely insane. I assume they must mean download.

Comcast will give you 50/12 for ~$80/mo. (without phone or TV - cheaper if you bundle)

I have the same package, but business class (guaranteed bandwidth, no usage limit) for $110/mo.

I'm now 2 hours north of the bay area, but the same packages are available there.

Here's a 9:30pm speed test to a random shitbird ISP somewhat near me.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1879 on: January 28, 2014, 07:04:51 AM

I just have the crap Time-Warner cable package, but since I upgraded to a DOCSIS 3 modem it's been fairly decent. Not FIOS, but consistently twice as fast as the creaky old modem TW gives you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IMPMW4/

But if I move a mile down the road, I'm on dial-up.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #1880 on: January 28, 2014, 07:15:10 AM

I hope games don't start trending this way. I'm 1 mile from any real broadband service with Verizon, Comcast and ATT with all telling me there is no plan in the foreseeable future to extend service to my location. So I've been at the mercy of Clearwire, which has been decent enough for everything I do so far (streaming HD Netflix etc., gaming, Steam, Live) but I'm on living on the edge. While I might just squeak past the requirement for this, I'm sure my wife and myself playing at the same time would cripple us. Add to this the fact that future of my connection is entirely unknown since the purchase by Sprint. Luckily I don't care much about Landmark but Next does interest me and I hope it doesn't have similar requirements. I fear soon will be time to look into the pen and paper scene around here.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #1881 on: January 28, 2014, 09:41:48 AM

I think I can get 10 up where I live. It's listed as an option on my company's terrible website, with a "Now Available" tag. No clue how much more it will cost, as their terrible website isn't listing prices. I'd have to go up  3 tiers though and I'm already at 55/mo on the lowest. I've never been constrained so any upgrade would be a de-facto subscription (proabaly much more than another 15/mo) for Landmark/Next so this is game's probably a no-go for me.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1882 on: January 28, 2014, 09:59:55 AM

Other things to contemplate. Is that 10mbps connection really being used up? If someone starts streaming a movie or dumps a big file into dropbox, will your game die? If someone else in the house plays are you really going to need that bandwidth? And what about customers that have very low data caps?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1883 on: January 28, 2014, 10:23:59 AM

All of the sudden the lots of land on the far end of the realm are my valuable. No one around you to fuck with your bandwith!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1884 on: January 28, 2014, 11:49:46 AM

All of the sudden the lots of land on the far end of the realm are my valuable. No one around you to fuck with your bandwith!
Mirroring reality indeed (for cable networks, anyway).
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1885 on: January 28, 2014, 12:28:04 PM

My sister has the 50/25 package from Fios.  She got it for 2 years at 60-some dollars.  For a tenner more you can get 75/35 but we couldn't find a reason for that much.  Even with all the illustration and art work she uploads, it's more than enough.  I did the speed test and it came up 58/31.  How nice!  Having said that, the last place I lived (also Fios), with the package that was one notch down the speeds were usually 15/9 or less.  So as I may be fine now, but say I was moving back to Shad Thames in London... no way ever would I get anything close to even a third of that!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1886 on: January 28, 2014, 12:52:46 PM

Here's what I get in south London with BT Infinity, seeing as we're swapping numbers.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1887 on: January 28, 2014, 02:54:43 PM

Comcast will give you 50/12 for ~$80/mo. (without phone or TV - cheaper if you bundle)

I have the same package, but business class (guaranteed bandwidth, no usage limit) for $110/mo.

I'm now 2 hours north of the bay area, but the same packages are available there.

Here's a 9:30pm speed test to a random shitbird ISP somewhat near me.

Yeah it looks like they upgraded the Burst! package to 10+ mid-last year. Still, I figure they must be talking downstream speed. Expecting people to have a $80+/month package would be a bit much.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1888 on: January 28, 2014, 04:41:35 PM

Here's what I get in south London with BT Infinity, seeing as we're swapping numbers.

That's pretty awesome.  I did use a proxy to access American YouTube,  tv and films but even without that, my speed was abysmal.   I use a proxy now to access the BBC and other UK channels and stuff but it makes no impact at all from this direction as far as I can tell.  My biggest enemy with speed is my laptop.  For some reason it just slows up for no reason I can see.  I religiously disable processes I don't need, which helps a little, but it still slows up the longer I play a game.  Almost any game.  I just can't figure out why! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1889 on: January 28, 2014, 06:12:19 PM

The connection speed makes sense because with everyone being able to build, they can't store the locations in an art folder.

Second Life didn't need 10mb d/l (I'll just assume SOE means download only) and that was 10 years ago.

How fast one user's build progress is visible to another user is a design choice. 10mbps assumes SOE chose realtime or nothing. Seems a pretty high bar to set. Either they'll relax it to broaden the userbase or they made some tech choices before they realized how it would impact that userbase.

Elder Scrolls games have been the driving force behind 2 of my computer upgrades.
But you likely only needed to worry about finances in those cases, not limitations in your regional infrastructure.

Bandwidth is not something a lot of people have choice over. When broadband companies talk about "choice", outside of the major metro centers, a lot of the time that "choice" is made at the municipal level (Comcast gets the west half of the city, Cox gets the east). Yay, "choice". But on paper only.

The last time I had any choice over broadband was back when I lived in Manhattan, and that was when 2mbps was considered top end. Since then it's all be "bend over and take it" with the one cable company in the area, or choose to not have broadband. And the guys at Verizon laugh at me every six months when I ask if FIOS is ever company to my area.

Thankfully in order for them to retain a lock on the lines they installed, they need to offer just good enough service for the towns in the area to not complain about their near monopoly enough for the State to take notice.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 60 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ 'Next'  
Jump to: