Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:06:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tron Legacy  (Read 138342 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #175 on: December 07, 2010, 08:03:37 AM

I got it from iTunes the second it was out.

It's definitely a score, moreso than a Daft Punk album. So if you're buying it, looking for the next French electronica fix, you're going to be mostly disappointed.

That said, it's atmospheric, moody and definitely sets a nice tone for what I'm hoping the movie turns out to be.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: December 13, 2010, 10:12:59 AM

Randomly saw the album while browsing Rhapsody and started listening.  I'm really liking it, good music to listen to while working as well.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: December 14, 2010, 11:38:20 AM

Seconding or thirding this, I've been listening to it all day on spotify and it's really well done.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: December 17, 2010, 08:00:40 AM

Saw it last night on IMAX 3D.  Yet another visual feast ala 'Avatar' that cant be truly appreciated unless in IMAX vid/sound.

Lotta posters are gonna be sold from this movie. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #179 on: December 17, 2010, 09:24:08 AM

Saw it at Imax 3D last night at midnight (was a fun carnival atmosphere).  Movie was ok, could have been better.  Plot was a bit of a mess, as it didn't really feel like the story had much direction, and was all over the place.  Also didn't really explain a number of things, which was a bit annoying.  One thing I didn't get was:

Despite all that, I still enjoyed the movie.  The visual effects where good, sound track was awesome (and helped out the movie quite a bit), and the plot wasn't terrible (I was just hoping for more).  Enjoyed the show and glad I went and saw it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #180 on: December 17, 2010, 09:28:14 AM

Taken as a whole though, could there be more of a boner movie ever devised?  You're combining sensory overloading graphics in a gaming environment, complete with gladiatorial games, sick weapons, and femme fatale types who dress you and say how badass you are... whilst riding superbikes, hovertanks, and digi-gunships.

Is that a joke?

Yes, this is the most boneriffic movie for children of the 80s with a mild case of aspbergers. For everyone else, there's Suckerpunch. And about 500 other movies with hotter chicks, better destruction, and less Stupid.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: December 17, 2010, 10:02:29 AM

So it sounds like Schild liked the movie, too.  Who else?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #182 on: December 17, 2010, 10:21:33 AM

Taken as a whole though, could there be more of a boner movie ever devised?  You're combining sensory overloading graphics in a gaming environment, complete with gladiatorial games, sick weapons, and femme fatale types who dress you and say how badass you are... whilst riding superbikes, hovertanks, and digi-gunships.

Is that a joke?

Yes, this is the most boneriffic movie for children of the 80s with a mild case of aspbergers. For everyone else, there's Suckerpunch. And about 500 other movies with hotter chicks, better destruction, and less Stupid.

Surely, you motherfucking jest. I'd take Olivia Wilde over any of those tween chippies any day and four fucking times on Sunday.

That said...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: December 17, 2010, 10:45:12 AM

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:26:51 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: December 17, 2010, 12:04:56 PM

That comment just made me buy two imax 3d tickets.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: December 17, 2010, 03:28:08 PM

Is that a joke?

I said devised, not that it actually was.  Actually, on all fronts you could say they were a bit demure.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: December 17, 2010, 05:36:09 PM

For the first time, someone has taken something relatively precious from my childhood and HASN'T RUINED IT. I am... unfamiliar with this feeling.
I've wanted more Tron since I was 7. I don't think anything could ever truly live up to a 24 year wait, but right now, I'm happy.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: December 17, 2010, 07:54:21 PM

I walked in expecting this movie to be a catatostrophe. A trainwreck with pretty graphics.

I enjoyed it which shocked the hell out of me. The plot "twists" were all predictable, though in all fairness

I'd have to go out on a limb and say this is the rare sequel that's actually better than the original. Still, I have a feeling it'll bomb hardcore and that'll be all she wrote. Too bad because I enjoyed it and am puzzled by the very mixed reviews it's getting.

Also, the movie was riddled with symbology. It was somewhat heavy handed but there.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: December 17, 2010, 08:38:13 PM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: December 17, 2010, 08:43:40 PM

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #190 on: December 17, 2010, 09:31:01 PM

You're messing up my zen thing, man!

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #191 on: December 17, 2010, 11:25:32 PM

There actually currently working on a Tron CG Tv Series that will pick up where the movie left off.  Then it will be a bridge to Tron 3.  That's actually the current plan as far as I know.

I think the thing I'm most upset about is that they didn't do the crazy Stargate like "entering the computer world" sequence the first one had.  I was really looking forward to seeing them do some crazy shit with the new 3D technology for that part..... cry

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: December 18, 2010, 02:31:41 AM

Tron: The Cloner Tool Wars?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #193 on: December 18, 2010, 08:14:09 AM

Figured there'd be a sequel.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: December 18, 2010, 09:35:14 AM

Well put.  And I'd have to agree.
You could say that the flick needed another 30 mins though to truly take the concept where it needed to go.  For a movie so rife with imagery and symbolism, it was a bit too teasing.  I wanted more.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #195 on: December 18, 2010, 11:11:19 AM

Tron: The Cloner Tool Wars?

Dear god no.  ACK!

Once they start spinning this out... less is more

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #196 on: December 18, 2010, 12:14:11 PM

Figured there'd be a sequel.

That's what the wife figured as well.

I understand the mixed reviews this is getting.  The reviewers were all young when they saw the first Tron and have matured, they expected the movie to do so as well but it didn't.  It's still very much a Disney movie with lots of handwaving and "don't think too hard on this."   That said, it was enjoyable and I liked it aside from the fairly unsatisfactory ending which telegraphed a sequel far too much.

Wylde's acting wasn't the problem, though, I saw it as a direction problem.  It's apparent they wanted her character to be this quasi-naieve chicklette who kicks ass from her dialogue, and that's what she played.  Strong female role model she was not.  Geek fantasy analog to Athena, minus the wisdom she was. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: December 18, 2010, 04:03:34 PM

She kinda reminded me of a late model replicant from Bladerunner, when she shoulda been more like a wise, yet empathetic cyberninja of GitS.
Wasted character opportunity imo...  that is unless they plan a sequel.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: December 18, 2010, 08:14:12 PM

She kinda reminded me of a late model replicant from Bladerunner, when she shoulda been more like a wise, yet empathetic cyberninja of GitS.
Wasted character opportunity imo...  that is unless they plan a sequel.

They plan for a trilogy. However, that will depend on box office for this one and I'm thinking the reviews will kill it. We'll see.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: December 18, 2010, 09:43:32 PM

It met my expectations (weak story, awesome visuals, good action) but the musical score was, for me, the best thing about the movie.  Would it be a stretch to think it might be good enough to be nominated for an Academy Award?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: December 18, 2010, 09:51:09 PM

I thought the story was alright. The parable was strong. The characters were believable.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 19, 2010, 02:16:37 AM

You know, this keeps getting knocked for the story but I don't really understand why. I could see it getting knocked for being a religious parable but it was a clever story IMO.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: December 19, 2010, 07:24:50 AM

You know, this keeps getting knocked for the story but I don't really understand why. I could see it getting knocked for being a religious parable but it was a clever story IMO.

The Matrix raised the bar for intelligent action movies.  why so serious?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #203 on: December 19, 2010, 08:27:15 AM

And then shit on itself in the second and third movies.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: December 19, 2010, 11:29:53 PM

I just got back from seeing this tonight.
I loved every bit of it. I'd say it's one of the best movies I've seen in years. Not just the wowee special effects, but I loved the story and the acting as well.

Except the 3-D. This was the first movie I've seen with the grey sunglasses 3-D technique, and I must say, it sucks ass.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: December 20, 2010, 05:59:31 AM

I just got back from seeing this tonight.
I loved every bit of it. I'd say it's one of the best movies I've seen in years. Not just the wowee special effects, but I loved the story and the acting as well.

Except the 3-D. This was the first movie I've seen with the grey sunglasses 3-D technique, and I must say, it sucks ass.

(laughing) I'm the anti-you... well, sort of.  The story and acting were just about where I thought they would be - I went for the spectacle and action and hoped to not be too put-off by the story and the actors struggling with green-screen.  Success!

Well, mostly:

It was the first movie ever for me with 3D, and I have to say that I liked it (IMAX 3D showing).  Probably because the orphan animals 3D preview made me go, "wow, that's really cool, maybe 3D in movies isn't as stupid as I thought".  I have been really skeptical of 3D in general, but seems like for a movie that placed an emphasis on visuals it's a decent addition (if done well).
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: December 20, 2010, 06:10:53 AM

The 3D was nowhere near as good as Avatar's, but it also wasn't the obnoxious, sight gag-filled, point-my-finger-towards-your-face bullshit that every other 3D movie is, so that makes it the second best 3D implementation right there.

I loved this movie.  I felt like I did when I was ten and watched the first one.  All the little callbacks made me giggle, and were all the better for not being clumsy in their implementation.  The "this is your disk" speech was one of my favorites.  My only complaint is that I would have liked a more in depth exploration of the Grid and the nuances of Grid society, though even then that's a compliment, because what little they did show was intriguing enough for me to want more.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 20, 2010, 09:33:16 AM

I liked Tron 2.0's visualization of the world better, as things had a clear function to them.  The programs weren't just randomly milling around, they were, y'know, doing their jobs.  But that's a minor nitpick.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: December 20, 2010, 09:43:12 AM

Saw it at Imax 3D last night at midnight (was a fun carnival atmosphere).  Movie was ok, could have been better.  Plot was a bit of a mess, as it didn't really feel like the story had much direction, and was all over the place.  Also didn't really explain a number of things, which was a bit annoying.  One thing I didn't get was:

Despite all that, I still enjoyed the movie.  The visual effects where good, sound track was awesome (and helped out the movie quite a bit), and the plot wasn't terrible (I was just hoping for more).  Enjoyed the show and glad I went and saw it.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 20, 2010, 10:39:50 AM

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy  
Jump to: