Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:33:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: DOTA2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DOTA2  (Read 466069 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1505 on: May 17, 2015, 06:20:20 PM

They got out drafted a lot it feels like. They couldn't get a decent laning phase to save their lives.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1506 on: May 18, 2015, 09:38:57 AM

Open qualifiers for one spot in TI 5 have been going on.  If you have a compendium, you can watch the games under the TI2015 tab of "watch".

It was truly open...  like any 5 people could sign up.  They ran through a single eliminations to get down to a reasonable number of teams.  Lot of pub stars and friend-stacks and whatnot.  I think the qualifiers from the Open get a slot in their region's TI Qualifier, where the top team (of 8 or so) goes to TI and 2nd place dukes it out with other second place Qualifiers for two final slots.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1507 on: May 18, 2015, 04:37:42 PM

Prize pool is nearly $8 million, despite the fact that the second set of Immortal items aren't in game yet.  Should be a pretty good uptick when the tier 2 Immortals come out!
What does this mean? Are people buying in?

You buy this thing http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/ and it gives you hats. The more money you dump into it, the more hats you get.

A chunk of the money is used for the internationals prize pool. Another chunk is used for Valve's swimming pool full of money.  why so serious?

Forgot to mention:

Buying a Compendium means you can watch all the TI5 games, including qualifiers, in the Dota client.  Basically acts as a ticket to all TI5 related stuff.

The Dota client is actually really good.  Can rewatch matches you missed, choose whichever casters you prefer (usually a couple of different top tier casting groups cover the same match for group stage stuff, plus noob stream), chat (who cares), and the chance to win items.

The stream will be on in various places including Twitch.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1508 on: May 18, 2015, 04:47:49 PM

Yeah the DOTA 2 client is nice for watching live games and replays though it's not surprising given Valve's experience with taking Quake's net capture/demo recording mode and turning it into Half-Life TV. What's shocking to me is how Riot still hasn't figured out how to do this -- even Hi-Rez has this with SMITE.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1509 on: May 18, 2015, 11:05:41 PM

Prize pool is nearly $8 million, despite the fact that the second set of Immortal items aren't in game yet.  Should be a pretty good uptick when the tier 2 Immortals come out!
It would be a lot higher if their checkout process didn't require IE Ohhhhh, I see.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1510 on: May 19, 2015, 01:15:33 PM

Buy it through steam?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1511 on: May 19, 2015, 01:53:31 PM

Yes I had to buy it through Steam in IE. The in-game checkout process is/was broken -- hitting checkout just loops back to the same cart page.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1512 on: May 25, 2015, 11:30:56 AM

No kittens this year :(

twitch.tv/ti5sange - main casting stream
twitch.tv/ti5yasha - secondary casting stream
twitch.tv/ti5skadi - third casting stream
twitch.tv/ti5mango - lounge stream

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1513 on: May 29, 2015, 03:13:28 AM

The Qualifiers have been kinda lackluster, the actual good teams outclass the other teams way to much to allow for anything but stomps. Only a handful of games have actually been close or interesting. There was one really REALLY close base race though, that was fun!

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1514 on: May 29, 2015, 10:41:24 AM

The Qualifiers have been kinda lackluster, the actual good teams outclass the other teams way to much to allow for anything but stomps. Only a handful of games have actually been close or interesting. There was one really REALLY close base race though, that was fun!

That's pretty much how the Qualifiers were last year as well, though.  There is just a big difference between ready for prime time teams and up and coming teams or new thrown together teams.  Also, very importantly, the meta is still settling down from the last big patch after the Summit a couple of weeks ago.

This will help settle things out a bit before group stages so there are less bad drafts into stomps.

Euro qualifiers have started, and that should be some much better Dota.  Europe had a much stronger pool of qualifier candidates (including Navi and Alliance) than the other regions.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1515 on: May 29, 2015, 08:42:55 PM

So I was watching a stream earlier and right at the beginning it was paused because "Godot" was disconnected. I was disappointed that no one said they were "waiting for Godot".  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1516 on: May 30, 2015, 04:24:07 AM

Alliance vs NIP Game 1 was pretty damn exciting, the sort of DOTA you want to watch imo.

EU qualifiers seems to be a LOT closer than the other regions at the moment.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1517 on: May 30, 2015, 01:02:26 PM

4 Anchors + Sea Captain has been fun to watch so far today, and they have the best cheesy MS Paint logo.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1518 on: May 31, 2015, 12:55:43 PM

Alliance vs NIP Game 1 was pretty damn exciting, the sort of DOTA you want to watch imo.

EU qualifiers seems to be a LOT closer than the other regions at the moment.

The quality of the EU teams in the qualifiers is just better.  China had a couple development teams for major teams and some thrown together teams, Americas had mostly thrown together teams, and SEA is just a weaker region overall.

EU had two or three teams that arguably could have been direct invites, or are major teams that were just underperforming lately.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1519 on: May 31, 2015, 01:43:04 PM

Though one of the EU favorites had a horrible qualifier.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1520 on: June 01, 2015, 09:25:53 AM

So...

SEA: MVP.Hot6ix to TI; MVP.Pheonix to Wildcard
Amer: Complexity to TI; NAR to Wildcard
China: EHOME to TI; CDEC to Wildcard
EU: Navi & Vega duking it out now.

Guaranteed Korean presence! Good chance for Navi to be back!  Prize pool at 10.3 million.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1521 on: June 01, 2015, 03:00:44 PM

Who the heck is playing for Complexity? I thought that team was deeeeaaaad.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1522 on: June 02, 2015, 09:39:09 AM

And Navi is going to TI!  Vega to Wildcard.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1523 on: June 03, 2015, 02:45:15 AM

Navi is always going to TI. It isn't TI without Navi!

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1524 on: June 03, 2015, 05:47:54 AM

What are some good streams to watch this game? I don't really know the game, the meta or the heroes so watching pro play or watching casts doesn't really do anything for me.

Are there any decent streams where you just watch one person the whole game that isn't Russian?
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #1525 on: June 03, 2015, 07:16:48 AM

Wagamama is usually the highest rated/most viewers regular streamer that does what you are asking. He's semi/ex pro and almost always goes mid. He explains things/answers questions from chat as well.  I also like Pyrion Flax as his stack is usually pretty entertaining to watch and his games are much closer skill wise to mine as well. Sheever also - not as clowny as Pyrion but just plays a bunch of games at around the same skill level I normally play at. Lastly, Purge is pretty great when he streams - he's extremely good about explaining his decision making and answering questions. It seems he rarely streams these days though.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1526 on: June 03, 2015, 01:03:19 PM

Draskyl's stream is my usual background noise when I'm not doing anything else. He mixes it up between solo ranked queueing where he explains his logic for choices and playing with his friends who are all roughly 1/3rd of his skill level and hilarity ensues.  why so serious?

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1527 on: June 03, 2015, 02:41:31 PM

What are some good streams to watch this game? I don't really know the game, the meta or the heroes so watching pro play or watching casts doesn't really do anything for me.

Are there any decent streams where you just watch one person the whole game that isn't Russian?

Probably bet to go with the "noob stream" guys.  They are pretty relaxed, and are generally more into explaining what they are doing.

Purge - Streams on twitch, not that often.  He does post regular (3 - 5/week) full games on his youtube channel with a mix of recorded in game and commentary over a replay of a game.  There is a big difference in quality of play between old videos (Purge was low 4K MMR) and newer videos post-Korea (now low 5k MMR).  His games are mixed between playing with IRL friends who are lower MMR and with pros/former pros (Blitz, etc.) 

Blitz - Used to stream alot, still streams a fair amount but larger gaps as he does more things on the casting/out of game side.  You will be burned out on Storm Spirit though, as that is his goto. 

Shane - He streams, want to say he's a high 4kish player.  Often with Pyrion.  Less informational than Purge/Blitz.

I'm not sure I'd recommend Pyrionflax as he isn't very good, and isn't very informational.  He's entertaining, but it's more lulz-y.  If you want to get an idea about the game before TI, go for something more informational.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1528 on: June 04, 2015, 01:37:02 AM

I don't even play DOTA2 but I get a lot of enjoyment from watching Purge. He has a knack for explaining things and presenting that's fairly uncommon.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1529 on: June 04, 2015, 03:00:37 AM

It's because he's at like a Mr. Rogers level of mellow. I don't think I've ever seen him get visibly angry and ragey.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1530 on: June 12, 2015, 08:41:15 PM

http://blog.dota2.com/2015/06/dota-2-reborn/

Source 2 incoming. Looks super slick.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1531 on: June 13, 2015, 02:42:47 PM

It's because he's at like a Mr. Rogers level of mellow. I don't think I've ever seen him get visibly angry and ragey.

This is actually a really nice analogy. He just seems to be genuinely nice as a person.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1532 on: June 15, 2015, 02:20:54 PM

Rick and Morty announcer trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om9eTFERicM

Will live and die based on the "color" commentary, like the bit about Witch Doctor in trailer.  I mean... fuck, I'm going to buy it anyway, but it has to have alot of great lines to topple the Pyrion, Portal, or Bastion announcers. 

Did I mention Meseeks courier?  The only downside is that I will have at least one game ruined by a dude mass buying Meseeks couriers as a joke.

This is actually a really nice analogy. He just seems to be genuinely nice as a person.

Purge gets angry and ragey, but he will almost always point out when he is being salty/angry as it being unfair, and he almost never gets ragey in game.  He will bitch occasionally in stream/videos.

Always makes a point to say it's okay to be upset, but not okay to shit on other people because you are upset.  He's a mature adult which is really odd in the online world that seems to be entirely made up of overreacting man-children.

Blitz is also pretty chill.  He does shit-talk his friends good naturedly, but he's generally pretty chill to other players.  The downside is that you will watch ALLLLLLOOOOOOOTTTTT of Storm Spirit.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1533 on: June 15, 2015, 02:52:58 PM

Dreamhack finals were pretty top. Close series.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1534 on: June 17, 2015, 04:57:37 PM

DOTA 2 Reborn beta now available:

http://www.dota2.com/reborn/part3/?utm=email
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1535 on: June 17, 2015, 05:24:57 PM

I will give this a whirl to see if it implodes my computers or not.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1536 on: June 17, 2015, 05:53:24 PM

Psyched for the idea of custom games.  This genre has been weirdly reluctant to support mods and custom maps and stuff, it's nice to see that level of freedom again.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1537 on: June 17, 2015, 11:29:48 PM

I fooled around with the demo a hero thing and played a few tutorial bot games, so far this seems WAY more optimized then the previous engine. It both looks better, runs smoother and seems to put far less strain on my computer. The PC runs notably quieter, the previous engine could really make my fans scream at times.

Haven't run into any major bugs yet, though some animations are wonky and some cosmetics aren't showing up yet.

The tutorial itself seems to be improved a fair bit, taking advantage of the new overlay. It all looks really slick.

The demo a hero thing is nice to play around with, lets you play with all the skills and stuff. Also lets you change your cosmetics on the fly.

It also carried over MOST of my settings, like key bindings and junk. Though some things like audio went to defaults I believe. It's REALLY LOUD at default settings.  why so serious?

None of this has made me any better at the game sadly.  awesome, for real

So far, so good I would say.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1538 on: July 02, 2015, 09:39:06 AM

And the prize pool is over $15 million!  Will be interesting to see where this stops, and what the new stretch goals are.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1539 on: July 03, 2015, 02:13:47 AM

It never stops, there are hats to be had!

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: DOTA2  
Jump to: