Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 01:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 533495 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1400 on: May 30, 2012, 09:29:55 AM

This one is pretty blah gameplay wise.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1401 on: May 30, 2012, 09:31:45 AM

I would wait a month or so. 
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1402 on: May 30, 2012, 09:56:11 AM

It will go f2p.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1403 on: May 30, 2012, 10:46:46 AM

My biggest issue thus far has been the game's atmosphere. You can't do hidden societies and conspiracy governments when absolutely everything in the environment is about those societies. There's zero sense of secrecy or anything remotely mysterious going on. You're joining the elves/dwarves/gnomes with spells and/or machine guns and killing monsters that somehow have waltzed into the world and NOONE KNOWS ABOUT IT. Cept, of course, you know, that wouldn't be even remotely possible. In other words, immersion is out the window from the first time you step into the newbie zone.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1404 on: May 30, 2012, 10:51:40 AM

I was never able to grasp how you have a mystery game that based purely on DIKU combat.  This game would be better served in a EVE style system where you are LARPing 99% of the time, and fighting 1% of the time.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1405 on: May 30, 2012, 11:55:15 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #1406 on: May 30, 2012, 12:04:36 PM

Funcom is a publically-traded company, there's not a lot of comparison to be made between them and an indie studio in this sort of thing.
In what way? Sitting on the cash doesn't help any of the shareholders. Launch is only a month away, anyway, and this will probably roll in enough cash to make up for the development costs.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1407 on: May 30, 2012, 01:12:54 PM

Funcom is a publically-traded company, there's not a lot of comparison to be made between them and an indie studio in this sort of thing.
In what way? Sitting on the cash doesn't help any of the shareholders. Launch is only a month away, anyway, and this will probably roll in enough cash to make up for the development costs.

Companies have to maintain enough cash on hand for a variety of reasons; the biggest one is probably just that cash on hand represents your ability to deal with emergency circumstances, like a global credit crisis or a game launch that fails. Low cash reserves can make it harder to get operating loans, makes it so you can't make acquisitions or big technology investments that would otherwise make sense. It is a sign of low liquidity which means a company is walking a tightrope without a net risk-wise. All this stuff can drive investors away.

Sitting on TOO much cash can be bad, sure, because you're wasting potential. 12 million for a company with nearly 300 employees in an expensive country is not too much cash; it is dangerously low.  I work for a company of similar size and there was a lot of wringing of hands going on when we got down to 50 million on hand, I think if we ever got down to 12 we'd already be on our way to liquidating everything. If TSW does well, they're probably OK, and I assume that's what they're betting on.

Granted I don't know that much about how Norway does things; maybe there is some giant safety net for local companies that they can fall into if it tanks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:16:16 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1408 on: May 31, 2012, 10:38:35 AM

Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1409 on: June 01, 2012, 09:40:47 AM

Right. More Max Payne 3 and Diablo 3 then.

Hmm. Maybe this can be the 'Year I only buy games with 3 in the title'.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1410 on: June 01, 2012, 10:22:33 AM

Right. More Max Payne 3 and Diablo 3 then.

Hmm. Maybe this can be the 'Year I only buy games with 3 in the title'.

I think it's still worth a look. They nailed the setting and the atmosphere and while the "mechanics" of gameplay have some issues (some of which I hear the latest patch in CB helped with) the skill system is fascinating and has tons of possibilities though I suspect is a balancing nightmare. Websites give away keys for beta weekends all the time, try to snag one and give it a try.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1411 on: June 02, 2012, 09:53:13 AM

Setting and atmosphere rely on high quality content which is rapidly consumed.

Given release is imminent have people been able to see the higher level content and estimate its depth and re-playability or are we looking at the possibility of another Tortage?

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1412 on: June 02, 2012, 10:19:31 AM

To be honest I don't really get the complaints about combat.  I thought the gameplay was better than Rift's, but I think I may be in the minority here.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1413 on: June 02, 2012, 01:21:50 PM

For these still interested Livestream, part 4

edit: goddammit, having watched about half of it i'm pretty tempted to close the video to avoid further spoilers and buy the damn thing, to see if i can solve these puzzles in the game on my own.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:54:01 PM by tmp »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1414 on: June 02, 2012, 04:53:38 PM

It might still be Tortage, but would comparable to about 80 levels of it instead of 20. Yes, I heard and read a lot about the other 7 zones after Kingsmouth, and seems like the content keeps being good. It's still a "finished" amount though, so when you are done with it, given the nature of the game... you are done. But it's a lot lot more than Tortage.

EDIT: Mind, not all quests are puzzles.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 05:18:41 PM by Falconeer »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1415 on: June 02, 2012, 07:03:40 PM

EDIT: Mind, not all quests are puzzles.

That's a good thing, since nothing has less replay value than puzzles.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1416 on: June 03, 2012, 01:33:49 PM

I have heard there are something like 10-20 puzzle quests total in the game. The other types of quests far out number them I'm guessing because they are a lot more effort.

I have also read on another forum that I go to that there is content all the way through and that in fact, some of the later zones are better than the early zones. I seem to remember reading that this time instead of working on a zone at a time they had teams assigned to each zone and made them more or less simultaneously.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1417 on: June 03, 2012, 01:40:44 PM

Also, keep in mind that a lot of those puzzle quests are long, multi-stage affairs, so the small number of them doesn't reflect how much content they actually represent.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1418 on: June 04, 2012, 10:46:56 AM

I have a key if anyone is interested. PM me.

Gone.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:34:28 AM by Falconeer »

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1419 on: June 04, 2012, 11:15:18 AM

I too have a key if anyone wants to DM me. Gone
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:25:45 AM by palmer_eldritch »
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1420 on: June 04, 2012, 12:23:17 PM

I have four keys. Requirement to get one: Pretend to be my friend. :P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1421 on: June 04, 2012, 12:25:29 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1422 on: June 04, 2012, 08:49:38 PM

I finally got in to play it a little more. It's definitely been improved. The models are better, the combat animations are better. Instead of doing the same thing over again, I made a blade/chaos magic Dragon character, and it feels a bit more responsive. It still feels like most of my abilities are in a rotation - one rotation against single targets and one against multiple targets. It's better, but I'm still not convinced I want to spend $60 on it.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1423 on: June 05, 2012, 07:05:51 AM

I got to play last night for a few minutes and I have to say the game feels a lot better than when I last played it (Pax East).  The female character models in the character creator are awwwwwful.  The character models in the cut scenes are equally retarded looking.  So many sharp edges and poorly animated.

The music and UI are still fantastic in the game, and I love the skill system.  I just upgraded this game from never to maybe some day.  There are still some combat animation delays and hiccups I didn't like.  Things don't fire off fast enough and the GCD is too long.  Swinging a sword I felt like I was swinging through water.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1424 on: June 05, 2012, 07:21:29 AM

WHAT?!

Draegan, I beg you to check again. The GCD is the fastest in ANY hotbar based MMORPG, clocking at 0.9 secs last time I checked.

I could be wrong, of course, and that's why I am asking you to check again. One of us is seriously confused and if it's me I need to know so I can have my head examined.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1425 on: June 05, 2012, 07:48:51 AM

So, are we doing NDA with thing or not? Or is there even one in place? I can't remember.  

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1426 on: June 05, 2012, 07:57:23 AM

There is an NDA for the closed beta but I don't think there was one for the open beta weekends, and a few pages back Schild decided that as long as we don't post screenshots we can say whatever we want about it because it wasn't cool for them to ask for money but not let us talk about it.

4. You may SAY in TEXT whatever you want about the game. In my opinion, customers have a fucking right to talk about something they can spend money on - I don't think anyone will fight me on that.

EDIT: Also, nothing discussed here so far really refers to anything that is closed-beta material. Kingsmouth and the basic game systems are NDA-free at this point.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:04:58 AM by Falconeer »

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1427 on: June 05, 2012, 08:02:31 AM

The "weekend" events do not have an NDA.

The actual, real, proper beta, aka closed beta*, does have an NDA.

*even though the weekend events are closed events too, despite keys being available almost to anyone who wants them
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1428 on: June 05, 2012, 09:22:10 AM

Well, my first attempt to play was comical.  Had the opening quest glitch out.  Something I was supposed to be following disappeared and never reappeared when I veered off the beaten path.  Then I hopped on a car, slipped between the car and a building, and got stuck.  The client, however, told me I was not stuck, despite being VERY STUCK. 

Ahh, Funcom.  I'm guessing that I'll have to reroll.   awesome, for real

Atmosphere is excellent, however.  Bears more exploration.

-Rasix
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1429 on: June 05, 2012, 09:57:43 AM

Well, my first attempt to play was comical.  Had the opening quest glitch out.  Something I was supposed to be following disappeared and never reappeared when I veered off the beaten path.  Then I hopped on a car, slipped between the car and a building, and got stuck.  The client, however, told me I was not stuck, despite being VERY STUCK. 

Ahh, Funcom.  I'm guessing that I'll have to reroll.   awesome, for real

Atmosphere is excellent, however.  Bears more exploration.

Most of the time you can fix this kind of thing by logging out or totally exiting the game. Though the one time this happened to me I got free only to fall through the world. I /bugged it. Then somehow got teleported back to the game proper and was able to continue.

Draegan, Falconeer: I've got to side with Falconeer on the GCD. It's so short I pretty much forget I have a GCD in this game. I'm thinking they put it at the bare minimum their servers could handle.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1430 on: June 05, 2012, 11:22:04 AM

There's a /stuck command and a /reset command that instantly kills you. Problem is, I can't remember the ACTUAL command but I am pretty sure it's not /reset. (Yes it is).

On the GCD, lots of "basic" skills have a casting time which is counterintuitive for what they are (a shotgun burst for example) and is somewhat longer than the GCD. That is what gives a very bad first impression of the combat. But with instant, spammable skills you will soon realize it's pretty damn quick. 0,9 if not 0,8 sec. WoW is 1,5. SWTOR is 1,5, and Rift is 1,4. Lotro is  why so serious?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:38:20 AM by Falconeer »

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1431 on: June 05, 2012, 11:33:32 AM

The /stuck command usually calls you a filthy liar and refuses to work however.  Didn't know about /reset.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1432 on: June 05, 2012, 11:39:04 AM

There's a /stuck command and a /reset command that instantly kills you. Problem is, I can't remember the ACTUAL command but I am pretty sure it's not /reset.

On the GCD, lots of "basic" skills have a casting time which is counterintuitive for what they are (a shotgun burst for example) and is somewhat longer than the GCD. That is what gives a very bad first impression of the combat. But with instant, spammable skills you will soon realize it's pretty damn quick. 0,9 if not 0,8 sec. WoW is 1,5. SWTOR is 1,5, and Rift is 1,4. Lotro is  why so serious?

That's what I meant.  The GCD might be 1 second like some games, but there are animation delays which amount to the same thing.  It's 1 second just like Rift's Rogues.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1433 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:58 PM

First experience -- game installer claims 15gb of disk space needed and 13gb in files to download, then proceeds to allocate and fetch 2x as much, before even getting to the actual installation part.

wth, funcom why so serious?

edit: well it's done and fortunately didn't require any more space on top of that, but still 31 gb vs 13 claimed... ehh.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:10:23 PM by tmp »
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1434 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:59 PM

If anyone want's a key for the June 15th weekend Nvidia is giving them away. http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/the-secret-world/deals-promotions

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: