Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 532246 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1330 on: May 18, 2012, 09:20:30 AM

Well I got into this weekends beta. I'm half excited, half nervous. Funcom usually makes a great 1/3rd of a game but drops the ball in content. Still, I'll give it a try. I am curious that it launches in about a month according to retailers yet as far as I know it is still in closed beta with an NDA. At this point wouldn't the DVDs already be gold?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1331 on: May 18, 2012, 11:05:40 AM

Yeah, the signs are all there. Launches in exactly a month (June 19th) and Kingsmouth is ten times better than Tortage was. So all we know as of now is that the game will launch not ready and full of bugs, and that the first (and only known) third of the game is glorious.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1332 on: May 18, 2012, 05:26:40 PM

Ok, I've only just begun: I just arrived in Kingsmouth, but this was quite a weird beginning. It was a hot, seducing mess between an adventure game, Vampire: Bloodlines, a spreadsheet MMO, an average DIKU one and more (I never played a GTA game, so walking around the street of a modern setting actually reminded me of Bloodlines but also of Shen Mue).

Damn Funcom, just make a 60 hours long super difficult and engaging point and click adventure game out of this and be done with it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1333 on: May 18, 2012, 07:30:15 PM

It's definitely a funcom game. I'm split between having a hell of a time and being annoyed by bugs and by weird design decisions. For example, I was shocked when I had to do a corpse run. You guys bitch about TOR having outdated mechanics but a corpse run? Really?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1334 on: May 18, 2012, 09:17:54 PM

Corpse runs are necessary. You'll see why later.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1335 on: May 19, 2012, 12:08:10 AM

I'm having trouble thinking of any reason why. I don't know. I am severely on the fence about this game. It has its good and bad. It's also Funcom which makes me nervous in and of itself.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1336 on: May 19, 2012, 02:18:16 AM

Let's face it: if it wasn't for the fact that being Funcom we know this game will fuck up badly at some point soon and disappoint gloriously about 15 days after launch, this is definitely worth picking up as an inspired, amazing, refreshing new iteration of the MMORPG genre.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1337 on: May 19, 2012, 05:26:03 AM

You can ressurect at the respawn point if you choose. There's an item on the ground you need to use which may not be obvious.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1338 on: May 19, 2012, 08:26:42 AM

You can ressurect at the respawn point if you choose. There's an item on the ground you need to use which may not be obvious.

Ahhh...they need to add that to the little tutorial pop-ups. If I have any other complaint about this game not related to bugs it is that it actually needs either a manual or an in-depth help system.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1339 on: May 19, 2012, 09:03:26 AM

I'm having trouble thinking of any reason why. I don't know. I am severely on the fence about this game. It has its good and bad. It's also Funcom which makes me nervous in and of itself.

What part of "you'll see why later" did you miss? Yes, you can rez right on the spot, but yes, being dead can sometimes be an advantage. You'll see.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1340 on: May 19, 2012, 09:46:32 AM

I finally figured out what it is that was bothering me about this game last night.  It's City of Heroes/Champions/DC, minus most of the character creation options, half the powers, and any sort of movement powers, skinned for horror.  I'm not sure how far I got through kingsmouth, but after a night of playing, this is sure what it felt like, in retrospect.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1341 on: May 19, 2012, 10:45:34 AM

skinned for horror

I think this is really unfair to the whole setting and the attention they put into the details.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1342 on: May 19, 2012, 08:34:05 PM

skinned for horror

I think this is really unfair to the whole setting and the attention they put into the details.

Totally. The devil is in the details and there's some serious devilry in this thing. It's a fucking shame that it is lol Funcom and they'll drop the ball on a lot of shit, but the stuff they chose to pay attention to? Dead. Fucking. On.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1343 on: May 19, 2012, 11:52:06 PM

What part of "you'll see why later" did you miss? Yes, you can rez right on the spot, but yes, being dead can sometimes be an advantage. You'll see.

I didn't miss it. But a cryptic "you'll see why" doesn't do anything to change my mind about why corpse runs in the modern day and age are anything except a throwback to older MMO design.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1344 on: May 20, 2012, 12:52:04 AM

Besides, it's not technically a corpse run unless you're naked and visible to the mobs, and bound half a continent away. This is more like a timed res.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1345 on: May 20, 2012, 01:16:46 AM

Seriously, you can respawn at the nearby resurrection point, or go back as a ghost to your corpse in order of not having to work your way through mobs all over again in case you died while trying to get at a specific location. Sounds like a convenience to me, not a corpse run. It's exactly what World of Warcraft does, not even a bit what EverQuest did.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1346 on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:10 AM

Seriously, you can respawn at the nearby resurrection point, or go back as a ghost to your corpse in order of not having to work your way through mobs all over again in case you died while trying to get at a specific location. Sounds like a convenience to me, not a corpse run. It's exactly what World of Warcraft does, not even a bit what EverQuest did.

I know it's more like WoW version than EQ's version but it just doesn't feel like a good fit for a modern MMO. Anyway, apparently I'm the only one who thought it was a weird design decision so I'll let it go. Most other elements of the design I liked and I am tempted to preorder but am terrified I'll get the game only to discover that everything past the stuff I've played is unfinished and buggy.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1347 on: May 21, 2012, 10:50:45 AM

Alright, now that my beta weekend is over I find myself on the fence. It's a funcom game so it goes without saying that the launch version will probably be a bug riddled mess but the concept is so intriquing and so different I am tempted to risk it. I am quite nervous that only the Templars have been playable so far. I know they've only had 2 beta weekends but why is it only confined to one faction? I also have questions about how complete later portions of the game are. I've also browsed around and found that this game is highly polarizing with lots of people who hate it and think it is the worst ever and defenders who quite like it. I was kind of surprised by how vehement some of the haters are to be honest.

Anyway, what does f13 think of it so far? Will there be a Bat Country in this game?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1348 on: May 21, 2012, 11:30:50 AM

The reason why the other two factions aren't open yet is because they are still waiting for the GFX assets for the faction specific cinematics. Some are already there, of course, but not all.

I can't speak for f13 as a whole, but seems to me that the majority feels pretty much like you: lots of awesome, coated in Funcom, projected to a predictable mess. The question is not if it's worth picking up in my opionion, it's more "how long before I run out of content or the bug supernova wipes everything away?". It's a fucking blind, fascinating, losing bet.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1349 on: May 21, 2012, 11:33:17 AM

Illuminati and Dragon play pretty much the same at this point, just different points of view.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: May 21, 2012, 12:10:24 PM

The reason why the other two factions aren't open yet is because they are still waiting for the GFX assets for the faction specific cinematics. Some are already there, of course, but not all.

I can't speak for f13 as a whole, but seems to me that the majority feels pretty much like you: lots of awesome, coated in Funcom, projected to a predictable mess. The question is not if it's worth picking up in my opionion, it's more "how long before I run out of content or the bug supernova wipes everything away?". It's a fucking blind, fascinating, losing bet.

I still don't see lots of awesome from anyone except a few here.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1351 on: May 21, 2012, 12:30:25 PM

You are probably right. I meant "the majority of those who are still posting in this thread", but it could be a stretch anyway.

Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1352 on: May 21, 2012, 12:46:00 PM

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm intrigued by the concept and love the atmosphere of the game, but worried that it's going to be AoC all over again. But if (big if!) I get a month or two out of it while waiting on GW2 I'll basically be happy. If it was anybody but FunCom I'd be really excited about the game, as it is I'll just be pleasantly surprised if it isn't a giant clusterfuck.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1353 on: May 21, 2012, 02:20:17 PM

I'll play it some, maybe, when it goes f2p.  I really see no reason to get into another sub-based game with GW2 around the corner.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1354 on: May 21, 2012, 03:18:41 PM

I'll play it some, maybe, when it goes f2p.  I really see no reason to get into another sub-based game with GW2 around the corner.

See, I'm in the minority on this board. GW2 looks cool gameplay-wise but it doesn't grab me you know? I think it is because it is yet another fantasy game and because GW1 was literally the most lifeless MMO I ever played and I don't expect GW2 to be better.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1355 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:25 PM

Even I wouldn't say it's for everyone.  It is the game I've been waiting a long time for.  It's cool to have different tastes, though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1356 on: May 21, 2012, 04:32:12 PM

See, I'm in the minority on this board. GW2 looks cool gameplay-wise but it doesn't grab me you know? I think it is because it is yet another fantasy game and because GW1 was literally the most lifeless MMO I ever played and I don't expect GW2 to be better.

GW1 and GW2 are very different games. And GW2 is probably the most interesting attempt to re-jig fundamental MMO mechanics (which might not work perfectly and some people will hate).

I'm happy to admit that TSW has a more interesting setting, but it's also a setting that demands a lot of effort to fill out in terms of level of detail and events and that plays straight into their weakness. The game is really well suited to a cash shop though in terms of episodic content and character customisation so if they do get forced f2p at some point it could still work, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've prepared for that as a plan-B.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1357 on: May 21, 2012, 04:40:02 PM

I wanted to love GW1 but I simply couldn't. I tried over and over, spent money on it. No way.
GW2 is completely different, and I have a huge, effortless crush. It's so many things I've been waiting for in a MMO I can't even count them. Generic bland Fantasy setting #8327 not being one of them. It'll be hard for any other game to keep me away from GW2.

Back on topic, The Secret World has insane "potential". Too bad it's handled without the resources needed to deliver a perfectly executed game. That potential, in a way, is doomed to be wasted. But I still applaud the effort of making an anti-conventional MMORPG and paying so much attention at the details. It's unfinished by default, but what they have is, in my opinion, really inspired.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1358 on: May 21, 2012, 08:19:15 PM

Inspired is a great way of putting it, the execution falls short in lots of ways, and I have great fears for it's development, but it's damn intriguing.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1359 on: May 21, 2012, 10:03:43 PM

I find myself very very intriqued by this game, far more than any other coming out. I think it is because, for me, atmosphere and story trump gameplay. However, I also quite like the skill system as opposed to a class system. GW2 is probably quite superior on the gameplay front but I think the setting/story would likely drive me away. Since I'm not in the beta for that game I have no way of knowing for sure but that is my suspicion. I think if I buy Secret World it will be based purely on the hook of the conspiracies/Lovecraftian horror/investigation.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1360 on: May 23, 2012, 06:46:01 AM

Curious about how much content is going to be there, I made my research. At launch 8 zones about the size of Kingsmouth are going to be there:

Solomon Island:
- Kingsmouth
- Savage Coast
- Blue Mountain

Egypt:
- Scorched Desert
- City of the Sun God

Transylvania:
- Besieged Farmlands
- Shadowy Forest
- Carpathian Fangs

Each zone has its own dungeon/instance, which means 8 dungeons so far.

No one can comment on the amount of finished content there as it's pretty much all under NDA still.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1361 on: May 23, 2012, 11:12:55 AM

Well I broke down and pre-ordered the game. I won't admit to any upgrade packs or not. I did truly enjoy it and the story and atmosphere are great. Still, I do feel a little like an abused wife who believes her husband when he says he has changed and even stopped drinking....

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1362 on: May 23, 2012, 11:49:48 AM

Almost forgot, no raids at launch. Do what you want with that information.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1363 on: May 23, 2012, 12:12:08 PM

How puzzly is this game?  I likey puzzles.  Grinding levels less so.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1364 on: May 23, 2012, 12:13:35 PM

Almost forgot, no raids at launch. Do what you want with that information.

Hmmm...I've heard they have raids in at launch and that they're 10 people. Still, I don't really care all that much about raids so it's all good. Is Bat Country going to have any presence in TSW?

@Soln:

It has puzzles but I am not sure what the % is compared to other stuff. I think it's quite low. But let's just say this is the first time in an MMO I needed a combination of wikipedia and a bible webpage to solve a quest!

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: