Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:32:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Black Metal Bands Are SCARY! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Metal Bands Are SCARY!  (Read 11495 times)
Arnold
Terracotta Army

on: August 21, 2004, 01:07:25 AM

Check out some pictures of the top 10 "scary" guys:

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/top10/10blackmetal.html
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:13:54 AM

Man, that's funny as shit. I can appreciate some of the music and all, and used to jam with a lot of metal musicians myself, but I'll be damned if I haven't met bigger idiots than the ones in the black metal scene. Fans and bands alike. They take the cake.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 07:31:02 AM

I really liked all the names they gave themselves.  They are sooooo cool.

I admit the board handle I post under is pretty strange, but it's a hold over from playing an Ogre in EQ and then posting to ltm.net.  Just easier to stay with the same name even if it's not relevant anymore.  But thats a long sight different from answering to Lord Ahriman when people talk to your face.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 02:27:27 PM

The truly pathetic aspect of it is that some of theese boys take what they do so seriously they go to prison for murder, graverobbery, rape and assaults.

What's sad about it is that it's usually the "good" black metal bands that do this.

Wiiiiii!
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 03:24:02 PM

Quote from: Rodent
The truly pathetic aspect of it is that some of theese boys take what they do so seriously they go to prison for murder, graverobbery, rape and assaults.

What's sad about it is that it's usually the "good" black metal bands that do this.

Oh yeah, these guys burn down churches and shit.  I just wonder if they do it in their clown paint and spiked shinguards.  Also, didn't some band kill their singer and eat him?
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 03:32:24 PM

There's only one possible response to the way they dress.

Fucking LARPers.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 03:53:21 PM

Quote from: Arnold
Also, didn't some band kill their singer and eat him?

It was Mayhem.

Drummer Hellhammer, who at one time worked in a mental hospital, is the only remaining member of the band's prime-period lineup. Lead vocalist Dead committed suicide in 1991 (two years after joining the band) by shooting himself in the head; Hellhammer made a necklace using some of his skull fragments, and Euronymous reportedly cooked and ate pieces of Dead's brain.

And it doesn't end there..

Euronymous, in turn, was stabbed to death while in his underwear on August 10, 1993, by the band's bass player, Count Grishnackh (born Christian Vikernes). Grishnackh's alleged motive was jealousy over the fact that Euronymous had a more evil reputation; he inflicted 23 separate wounds, it was also rumored, so as to outdo rival band Emperor's drummer, Faust, who was convicted in the stabbing death of a homosexual acquaintance. When police arrested Grishnackh, they found over 150 kg of stolen dynamite in his house, complete with a plan to blow up a large church on a religious holiday.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 04:10:53 PM

Stray, tell me that is a humor piece written by the Onion or some other satirical group.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 12:07:15 AM

What's even more crazy is that those Scandanavian countries have REALLY LIGHT sentences.  Seriously, some of these guys have gotten the American equivalent of a slap on the wrist (a year or two in prison maybe).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 01:24:11 AM

Quote from: Murgos
Stray, tell me that is a humor piece written by the Onion or some other satirical group.

Oops, I forgot to list the source: All Music Guide. I first heard of it on one of VH1's list shows: "Greatest Moments in Metal History" or something. Or maybe it was "Worst Moments in Metal History"? I can't recall.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 12:46:47 PM

I used to really be in to Hard core metal. Some of the bands I liked being :

Cannible Corpse
Deicide
Sepultura

Slayer being my favorite.

I dont know if they count as "Black Metal" but was killed to listen to. I still put on the CDs sme times, but I can only listen to one of two songs before my head starts to hurt. I must be getting old.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 02:28:03 PM

Grishnack, commonly known as greven ( the count ) over here is today spending his life in prison as a white power skinhead. The poor guy really deserves to die swiftly. Jon Nötveidt, murderer and singer for the band Dissection recently got out of prison and Dissection is more popular then ever.

Morphied no that's Death Metal, slower and with slightly less mad screaming.

Wiiiiii!
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 03:00:26 PM

Quote from: Morphiend
I used to really be in to Hard core metal. Some of the bands I liked being :

Cannible Corpse
Deicide
Sepultura

Slayer being my favorite.

I dont know if they count as "Black Metal" but was killed to listen to. I still put on the CDs sme times, but I can only listen to one of two songs before my head starts to hurt. I must be getting old.

Slayer is speed metal, and I think Sepultura is too (haven't listened to them).  Cannibal Corpse is death metal.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 03:05:09 PM

Deicide and Cannibal Corpse is just death metal. I guess you could say that Death metal emphasizes riffs and melodies over chaos, while Black Metal is the opposite: less emphasis on melody, more on chaos. Sometimes it's just white noise. Yet, despite the noisiness, alot of these bands throw in a little orchestration or keyboards. More dramatic, more makeup, more costumes, more staged animal sacrices, etc., etc.. But it isn't like Ozzy where he was just fucked up and making a joke. No, these are the kids who actually took him seriously.

Pretty much the same lyrics between the two though, except in the case of Scandanavian bands. Lyrics are just as much Norse, Nietzschian and nihilistic as they are satanic, a lot of pseudo pagan bullshit, but the same stupid stage rituals.

As for Slayer and Sepultura, they influenced almost everyone, but they barely qualify as "dark" bands at all, and write more about personal experiences and life in general. If it was satanic, it'd be no different than death metal. It's just speed metal or thrash, I guess.

Sub-Genres, don't you love them?
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 03:14:37 PM

Here's a decent breakdown of some subgenres.  I don't listen to lots of those, so the guy might be wrong, but I couldn't tell you.  He didn't mention it in the definition, but death metal bands tend to be known for being highly skilled musicians.

Another interesting thing from this 1998 writeup is that the term "Nu Metal" had not been coined yet, or was not widely used.  He referred to the nu metal bands as "Pimp Rock".
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 11:12:35 AM

Bah, Venom and Sodom were doing this kinda dorky black metal thing years before these goons, who mostly seem to be trying to rip off KISS or Kind Diamond.
I'll be damned if I haven't met bigger idiots than the ones in the black metal scene. Fans and bands alike. They take the cake.

Having played in a thrash band in the 80s, I can definitely agree with that. Small-minded doesn't begin to describe it. Reminds me of the goth kids on South Park "All you have to do to be a nonconformist is dress like us and listen to the music we listen to!"
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 12:20:51 PM

Quote from: Sky
Bah, Venom and Sodom were doing this kinda dorky black metal thing years before these goons, who mostly seem to be trying to rip off KISS or Kind Diamond.
I'll be damned if I haven't met bigger idiots than the ones in the black metal scene. Fans and bands alike. They take the cake.

Having played in a thrash band in the 80s, I can definitely agree with that. Small-minded doesn't begin to describe it. Reminds me of the goth kids on South Park "All you have to do to be a nonconformist is dress like us and listen to the music we listen to!"

Haha, have you heard the "Evil Joe phone call"?  It's hilarious; someone pretending to be a black man calls a geek who advertised in the paper for musicians wanted to form a "Black Metal" band.  Warning - there's profanity, so be careful at work.
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 04:54:12 PM

I absolutely love Black Metal.  The other people who love Black Metal, not so much.  Black Metal musicians do whatever they can to cartoonize themselves, frankly, it's getting old.

Bands like Immortal and Dimmu Borgir have no need for the theatrics, the music stands on its own, yet they do it anyway.

Btw, all that shit with Mayhem happened back in like 1994, you guys are about 10 years too late.

That Black Metal phone call...pure comedy gold.

My knuckles are bleeding, on your front door...

~Pig Destroyer

http://www.wtfman.com
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #18 on: August 23, 2004, 05:34:12 PM

Quote from: Rodent
Morphied no that's Death Metal, slower and with slightly less mad screaming.

Ok, gotcha. I wasnt sure if it was a different name for the same stuff. I used to LOVE Slayer back when I was in High School. I had the long hair and all the headbanger shit. Was great.

We used to have a local band called Vomit. They had the meanist mosh pit around. No one could even get close to the pit and not come out totally bloody. So much fun.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 24, 2004, 06:12:34 AM

Quote from: stray
Deicide and Cannibal Corpse is just death metal. I guess you could say that Death metal emphasizes riffs and melodies over chaos, while Black Metal is the opposite: less emphasis on melody, more on chaos.

Depends. Old-school black metal (Darkthrone, Mayhem) can be that. "New-school" or more commercially minded groups (Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon) have much more melody. Not sure where "Viking metal" like Bathory fits into the Black/Death/Doom/Thrash split.

Sometimes it's just white noise.

I associate that more with industrial-oriented metal; Peaceville have a bunch of groups like that, e.g. Kong.

In a way, all this goes back to the "synth versus heavy" wars of the eighties. Anyone remember the outcry from fans when Iron Maiden used guitar synths on Somewhere in Time?

I bet most of those that laugh at black metal today listened to Modern Talking and shit in the eighties. Or at least I want to hope that is the case.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 06:29:02 AM

I think most people in most metal genres are lame and/or annoying.  From the geeks at prog metal concerts showing off their latest Dream Theater tattoo, to the Nu Metal kids with backpacks and dreadlocks flailing around, to the 14 year olds standing in line thinking they are old school because they own a metal album made before the 90's, pretty much all other metal heads annoy me.  :P
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: August 24, 2004, 12:12:47 PM

Once I saw Motley Crue pimping Danni's Hard Drive, I knew metal was down the toilet.

Unfortunately, some of these idiots take themselves and their "the world is death!" stance way too seriously. And then there are kids who think that shit is cool because their parents just look at it and gawk.

Here's a hint, kiddies. You're parents are looking at you because they are thinking "How did something so fucking stupid shat itself out of my womb?"

I learned that "rebellious" music is a myth, because musicians really just want someone to listen to their melodramatic claptrap and take it seriously. Just like writers and painters and actors and other artists.

Death metal/black metal/etc. just takes all that and makes it even more ridiculous.

Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 25, 2004, 12:20:13 AM

In a way, all this goes back to the "synth versus heavy" wars of the eighties. Anyone remember the outcry from fans when Iron Maiden used guitar synths on Somewhere in Time?

One reason for that "outrage" was because Bruce Dickinson was seen in an earlier video saying, "NO, you can't use keyboards in rock and roll, it's just not a rock instrument."

Then lo and behold, we've got synths on Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (badass album, btw).

It's a similar thing to where Metallica said, "We'll NEVER make a video."  Then they made "Cliff 'Em ALL", but that was cool because it wasn't an MTV style video and was a tribute to CLiff Burton.  But THEN they made the "One" video and their vow was out the window from then on.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #23 on: August 25, 2004, 06:04:08 AM

Quote from: Arnold

One reason for that "outrage" was because Bruce Dickinson was seen in an earlier video saying, "NO, you can't use keyboards in rock and roll, it's just not a rock instrument."

Probably just a mistake, but I didn't say that, it was AOFanboi.

But anyways, rock bands could be using a bouzouki for all I care. Sure, some old bands rock don't quite work out that way, like Iron Maiden. Rush is another example. All they're albums since Test for Echo have been just good as the 70's, since they dropped the synths. Van Halen was pretty cool until they made 1984. The use of synths nowadays isn't really the same thing though. It's more of an industrial bent, which I dig anyways. I have no problem with black metal as music, I just don't like their schtick.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #24 on: August 26, 2004, 11:09:21 AM

For those interested a very good book on the subject of extreme metal is Lords of Chaos which you can buy here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0922915482/103-2309837-4846245?v=glance

As for the comment about the Mayhem stuff being for the Onion, sadly the answer is no

Bands like emperor, dissection, mayhem, burzhem among several others had members who did things like the following:

Murdering friends
Suicide
Cannabalism
Burning down Historic Churches
Grave dessicration
Murdering Homosexuals (basically thrill kills)
Plans for terrorsist activites (blowing up a church while people were in it)
and an I am more evil than you attitude that would be comical if they didn't take it so seriously.

All that said..... I really like the sound of black metal even if it is made by social morons.

-nat
[/url]

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #25 on: August 26, 2004, 07:13:43 PM

I like Prodigy's new album.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 29, 2004, 05:03:58 PM

Quote from: Fraeg
For those interested a very good book on the subject of extreme metal is Lords of Chaos which you can buy here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0922915482/103-2309837-4846245?v=glance

As for the comment about the Mayhem stuff being for the Onion, sadly the answer is no

Bands like emperor, dissection, mayhem, burzhem among several others had members who did things like the following:

Murdering friends
Suicide
Cannabalism
Burning down Historic Churches
Grave dessicration
Murdering Homosexuals (basically thrill kills)
Plans for terrorsist activites (blowing up a church while people were in it)
and an I am more evil than you attitude that would be comical if they didn't take it so seriously.

All that said..... I really like the sound of black metal even if it is made by social morons.

-nat
[/url]

That is a very good book, you just have to try really, really hard to look past the racist tendancies of the author.  Good read if you are at all interested.

The thing about all those bands listed there, is that they all make great music, and probably would have come into their own popularity without all the crap they pulled in the 90's.  

Actually the guy from Dissection who was in jail, just got out, and they are currently recording a new album.  If it's anything like Storm of the Light's Bane then we are all in for a treat.

~Pig Destroyer

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 29, 2004, 06:47:29 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
Once I saw Motley Crue pimping Danni's Hard Drive, I knew metal was down the toilet.

Tommy Lee and Vince Neil both have reality TV shows planned.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #28 on: August 30, 2004, 12:07:00 PM

Apparently Tommy Lee's reality show involves him going to college or some sort of school or some shit.

I fucking WISH I was kidding. WARNING: Somewhat NSFW pic on that page.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #29 on: August 30, 2004, 01:27:25 PM

Quote from: Pig Destroyer

Actually the guy from Dissection who was in jail, just got out, and they are currently recording a new album.  If it's anything like Storm of the Light's Bane then we are all in for a treat.

I checked out their website and read their message board.  Bard left the band saying basically Jon of Dissection was too intense for him (this coming from a man in jail for murder).  Jon is rascist and overtly Satanic.  The satanism I don't have an issue with, but the racism is a bit of a stumbling block for me.  I have never noticed any racial overtones in their lyrics... but then I generally don't read black metal lyrics (Arrgh! I shall fight my enemies to the death.. Arrghh!).  Thing is their music is just amazing.  

I guess at a certain point you have to seperate the artist from their creation.  Richard Wagner was quite the anti-semite
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/Wagner.html
Does that make his music any less good?  

Perhaps the solution is to just download any new material by the band so that they don't receive any cash from me.. not a particularly elegant solution.

/shrug I have pretty mixed feelings, plenty of musicians out there making great music in all genres that have pretty wacked ideas on some things.

-fraeg

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 30, 2004, 06:48:59 PM

Unfortunately, a lot of Black Metal musicians are racist, at least the European ones (Norway, Sweden, etc etc.).  

Fortunately, however, it almost never actually shows up in the music.

It has a lot to do with the Heathen Religions, it actually is described in pretty good detail in the Lords of Chaos book.  Not that it makes it excuseable in any way shape or form.

~Pig Destroyer

Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 31, 2004, 11:38:16 AM

Quote from: Righ
I like Prodigy's new album.

Why?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Black Metal Bands Are SCARY!  
Jump to: