Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:20:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Shenmue 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shenmue  (Read 4092 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: May 01, 2007, 01:49:13 PM

If I play Shenmue II without playing the first one, am I going to be sad and/or confused?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 01:56:47 PM

I would say no. That's what I did (well....I played the first a little, and watched friends play it).

If you can though, I'd recommend playing the original first. If you can't (I'm assuming you don't have a DC), then it isn't going to harm anything really. The first is just better is all.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 02:14:40 PM

I don't have a DC, correct.  I need a DC emulator for PS3.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:38:10 PM

No, but if you make it more than 2 hours into the game you're a stronger man than I.

Boy do those games suck.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 06:53:21 PM

No, but if you make it more than 2 hours into the game you're a stronger man than I.

Boy do those games suck.

Agreed.  I played through the first one and it was some of the dullest shit I've ever played through.  Thrill to all the excitment of walking around talking to people (sometimes having to wait until a particular time of day to do it), feeding a cat, getting stuff out of vending machines, and playing Hang On and Space Harrier.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 07:04:30 PM

I love that all stuff. Bits of adventure, storytelling, simulation, rpg, and action all rolled into one. It's not perfect, but I wish more games went for multiple levels of interactivity like that. Even the pinnacle of "roaming" games (i.e. GTA), is still pretty one dimensional in that respect (there's a lot of interactivity in GTA, but most of it revolves around vehicles and weapons).

My verdict is that you are purist, "just get to the game" types. You don't know how to just stop and smell the roses.  :-D

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 07:17:08 PM

I love that all stuff. Bits of adventure, storytelling, simulation, rpg, and action all rolled into one. It's not perfect, but I wish more games went for multiple levels of interactivity like that. Even the pinnacle of "roaming" games (i.e. GTA), is still pretty one dimensional in that respect (there's a lot of interactivity in GTA, but most of it revolves around vehicles and weapons).

My verdict is that you are purist, "just get to the game" types. You don't know how to just stop and smell the roses.  :-D

Hoping it's the correct time of day to talk to someone, walking up to them, and pressing a button, hardly qualify as any sort of level of interactivity.  Maybe I'd have been more forgiving of Shenmue if it hadn't been hyped up as much as it was, or if it had done at least one of it's gameplay aspects really fucking well (like say fighting, or even the storytelling). 

Instead it felt lifeless and mundane to me and what little action it had in it felt like a tease for the sequel.  It was the fucking handjob of video games.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 07:37:19 PM

Hoping it's the correct time of day to talk to someone, walking up to them, and pressing a button, hardly qualify as any sort of level of interactivity.

Oh, come on. As if all interactivity was limited to that. Why even make that comment?

Also, I take back what I said about gameplay purists. You don't like the DMC series either. I don't know where you're coming from really.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 08:31:20 PM

Oh, come on. As if all interactivity was limited to that. Why even make that comment?

Also, I take back what I said about gameplay purists. You don't like the DMC series either. I don't know where you're coming from really.

That was the vast majoity of the interactivity.  There were mini-games and such, and a little action, but the vast majority of making progress in the game revolved around talking to people, and there was an unacceptable amount of instances (to me anyway) where you had to wait until a certain time to advance the story.

To say I'm a gameplay purist is odd in the first place.  I played just about every RPG released on the NES, and from the SNES through the PS1 the vast majority of the games I played were RPGs.  I've gone over my problems with the current state of storytelling in video games sufficiently elsewhere.  Likewise I've mentioned my problem with DMC3 (I enjoyed the first game, barely played the second) aside from a strong hate of Dante and the cheesy voice acting and story, is that everything but the bosses felt like filler.  I can get through most levels with little trouble, get beaten by the pain in the ass boss, and then have to trudge back through the level again.  This is repeated until you figure out the bosses' patterns or whatever little tricks are needed to beat them.  I'm sure if they had put a save point before each and every boss in DMC3, I would have enjoyed the game a thousand times more than I did.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 08:46:21 PM

Besides the boss stuff, DMC3 is all about combos and racking up good level scores. It's not about completion so much as performance. It isn't God of War. It's strictly a no frills, purist game in that sense. All of those "filler spots", as you call them, are meant to be repeated, and meant to be done as good as possible.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 09:00:32 PM

Besides the boss stuff, DMC3 is all about combos and racking up good level scores. It's not about completion so much as performance. It isn't God of War. It's strictly a no frills, purist game in that sense. All of those "filler spots", as you call them, are meant to be repeated, and meant to be done as good as possible.

Repetition isn't a good motivator for me.  Throw in a co-op mode so I'm at least not just competing against my own scores and they might have something there though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 01:13:19 PM

Iirc the xbox version of Shenmue II ships with a bonus disc of Shenmue.

Also, DMC3 sounds like a good example of why I dislike console games vs pc games.

(my bad, sounds like it was just a movie of Shenmue and idnrc)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:19:39 PM by Sky »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 01:33:40 PM

That would be great if they did that.

Sega needs to reissue a lot of things, in fact.

[EDIT] Sky, I'd say that DMC3 doesn't illustrate anything significant about console games. DMC does (or did), but DMC3 makes a few nods to the arcade world as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:47:52 PM by Stray »
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 01:55:44 PM

Excuse me.  Do you know where I can find some sailors?

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 02:22:36 PM

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:24:08 PM by FatuousTwat »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 02:33:22 PM

Haha
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 04:05:49 PM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Shenmue  
Jump to: