Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:02:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Eve Glossary 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eve Glossary  (Read 26692 times)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

on: April 20, 2007, 01:40:38 PM

Post terms that people not intimately familiar with EVE won't get here.

BoB - Band of Brothers, a powerful PVP alliance.

RA - Red Alliance, a powerful alliance comprised of primarily Russian players. Also referred to as "the Russians".

AAA - Against All Authorities, an alliance that splintered off of Red Alliance. Fearsome in PVP. Also largely Russian.

GOON, Goonfleet, Goonswarm - A corporation (Goonfleet) and alliance (Goonswarm) originally stemming from the SomethingAwful Forum Goons.

RAGOON - Refers to the very close ties between Red Alliance and Goonswarm, such that the two effectively operate in concert.

D2 - Dusk and Dawn, a rich industrial alliance. Largely German.

"The North" - The upper part of the game map, when projected into 2-D on things such as the Alliance Map (see Useful Links thread). Dusk And Dawn is located here.

"The South" - The lower part of the game map, as above. In the "west" (left) part of the map, you have the Band of Brothers stronghold regions of Delve and Period Basis. On the "east" side of the map, you have the Red Alliance stronghold of Cache, along with Goonswarm and associated alliances.

FIX - Firmus Ixion. An old alliance that has held the region Querious since time immemorial.

ASCN - Ascendent Frontier, an extinct alliance. Once the richest industrial alliance in their heydey, and also the first to unveil a Titan-class ship. Was crushed in relatively short order by Band of Brothers and has since dissolved.

T2 - Tech 2. The "high level gear" of Eve, somewhat stronger and better than most other ships/equipment in the game.

Complex - A space dungeon. Usually has a reward at the end. Difficulty ranges from Newbie to requring a group of very advanced players to complete.

Officer/Faction - Special "rare drop" equipment that can be found in some complexes or (very rarely) on random-spawning special NPCs in space.
Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:36:14 PM

I'll add some ship classes and acronyms.

Drone - Computer-controlled tiny ship that operates from another main ship controlled by a player.

Frigate - Smallest combat ship class (cost ~50K-500K)

AF - Assault Frigate, a small, fairly fast and robust Tech 2 frigate (cost ~5M-15M).

Covops - Covert Operations Frigate, a Tech 2 frigate that can move around well while cloaked.

Interceptor - Tech 2 very, very fast frigate.

Destroyer - Ship class between Frigate and Cruiser used by very few (cost ~500k-700k)

Interdictor - Tech 2 destroyer specialized in creating warp bubbles that make it hard to run off from engagements in 0.0 space.

Cruiser - Mid-sized combat ship class (cost ~2.5M-8M).

HAC - Heavy Assault Cruiser, often very fast and robust Tech 2 cruisers (cost ~40M-250M).

Recon Ships - Tech 2 cruiser that can cloak (hide) and have bonuses to electronic warfare ("crowd control")  (cost ~30M-80M)

Logistics Ships- Tech 2 cruiser for group support that I believe no one use much.

BC - Battlecruiser, a ship class between cruiser and battleships. Quite popular (cost ~20M-45M).

Command Ship - Tech 2 battlecruiser specialized to lead and give bonuses to groupmates.

BS - Battleship, the mainstay of fleet battles and largest non-capital ship (cost ~70M-140M)

Carrier - Capital ship where other ships can dock, and can also deploy fighters (cruiser-sized drones) (cost ~1B)

Dread - Dreadnought is a capital ship that can take and deal huge amounts of damage if they go into "siege mode", which stops them from moving and makes it very hard for them to hit fast ships. Specialized to take down well-defended Player-Owned Structures (POSes) (cost ~1.5B-2B)

Mothership - Supercapital version of the carrier (can't be found on market, costs probably 20B or more to construct).

Titan - Supercapital of supercapitals. Has a doomsday weapon that is damages all ships in a large area enough to kill most things smaller than a battleship. Can also create a gate for other ships to jump through (can't be found on market, costs probably 50-60B or more to construct).

Non-combat ships:

Indy - Industrial transport. Carries large amounts of goods but is quite slow and the tech 1 variants are very easy to kill (cost ~150k-600k).

Freighter - Capital-sized ship for transporting huge amounts of goods (cost ~900M-1B).

Barge - Mining Barge, a high-capacity mining ship.

Exhumer - Tech 2 version of the barge. Even higher capacity for mining and more robust.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:57:15 PM

Cap: Either a capital ship (any ship larger than a Battleship) or the capacitor of a ship (the battery of the ship, which powers it's weapons, engines, and other abilities).

Reinforced Mode:  As I understand it, when a POS is dealt enough damage, it goes into reinforced mode.  In reinforced mode, it is basically invulnerable, but it eats up fuel at a tremendous rate.  This is supposed to give the defenders time to get enough people together to repel the attack (to prevent alliances from just being able to knock out stations instantly at 3 AM).  I'm not really sure on this; someone want to correct me?

Pod: When a ship is killed, the captain ejects in an escape pod automatically ("podded").  If this pod is killed ("podkilled"), the captain "dies" and respawns at whatever station he bought his last clone at.  If he had any implants (expensive cybernetics that boost attributes), they're gone.

Empire:  Space that is patrolled by CONCORD (the space police).  Generally refers to space with a security rating of higher than 0.5.  Relatively "safe" in that random people blowing you up will probably be shot down by CONCORD.  Controlled by NPC factions and nations.  Most players spend most of their time in empire space.

0.0: Space that is not patrolled by CONCORD, or monitored by them.  Anything goes in 0.0.  Generally the big wars and politics revolve around 0.0 space.  Controlled by player alliances.

Fighters: relatively powerful drones that are launched from motherships and carriers.
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 10:42:10 PM

A POS in reinforced eats strontium clathrates, which are not consumed during normal POS operations.

POS: Player-owned structure. An intermediate step between a ship and a space station. Provides something of the functionality of a space station, but is more vulnerable to attack.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 03:11:55 PM

Could someone add an explanation of cyno?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 04:19:28 PM

cynosural field - lets a capital ship jump through
cynosural field generator - creates a cynosural field. high slot module. some ships have bonuses to the fuel consumed by the cyno generator
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 04:40:23 PM

Capital ships can't use normal jump gates between systems. A small ship enters a system and fires up a cyno (beacon) which the capital ship can target and jump to. The range of cyno jumps is limited based on fuel and skills. 8 is probably a good number on average for the number of systems a capital ship bypass by jumping.

Think Babylon 5 but you have to have a beacon in the system you're jumping to.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:04:33 AM

Since this seems to be a good place to post this, for anyone (like myself) who wandered into the war thread and has no idea what some of the things mean heres a good primer on EVE from the PA boards:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=29119
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 04:29:55 AM

Can you add to the list: Evetime- The Eve Timezone? Because I don't know and am finding it oddly difficult to find :)
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 04:18:09 PM

Can you add to the list: Evetime- The Eve Timezone? Because I don't know and am finding it oddly difficult to find :)
You should be running Evemon all the time, I THINK it shows current Eve-Time.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 12:56:09 AM

EvE time is GMT or Zulu time. Iceland doesn't have DST so neither does EvE.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 02:09:08 PM

Please define:

grid (as in "on-grid")

truesec

Witty banter not included.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 02:22:06 PM

EvE time is GMT or Zulu time. Iceland doesn't have DST so neither does EvE.
I have been to Iceland.  There is no daylight to save.

"Me am play gods"
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 05:02:07 PM

Please define:

grid (as in "on-grid")

truesec

Grid:

Each solar system in EVE is actually a zone that you can only exit via the gates (or jump drive).  The volume of space in this zone is actually divided into cubes, and your client only displays the details of the cube your ship is currently in.  You may see suns, planets, and even space stations from very far away, because they are big things, but when it comes to ships, you only see the grid (cube) you're in.  They're typically 700 km radius, with stations or stargates at the center.  So if you fly away from a station without warping, when you reach about 700 km the ships, cans, drones, etc around the station suddenly disappear from view, as your client crosses into the next grid.  You also disappear from their overview/view, as if you'd cloaked.  You're still visible in the scanner, though.  If you fly back towards them, they suddenly reappear.

Practical uses:  The one I've found was for ships that can use the regular cloak, but not the cov-ops cloak that lets you warp while cloaked.  If you manage to make a bookmark to a spot just off-grid, you can warp to it while visible, cloak up, then approach the station while cloaked, and so you'd have the same capabilities as a cov-ops frigate that can warp-in cloaked.  Another one would be for sniper battleships (can target and shoot at 200km, and if you just happen to be next to the grid's edge, you can cross it and disappear from view, enemy snipers lose lock on you, etc etc.).

Truesec:

The EVE client displays the sec rating of each system as anything from 1.0 down to 0.0.  This includes the map, everything, that's the range that you see.

However, 0.0 space has wild variations in the quality of the rats and the ore, from system to system.  Some spots have arkonor, others don't.  The way CCP accomplished this was to have a hidden sec rating variable in the database, which goes from +1.0 to -1.0.  The client displays anything below 0 as 0.0 space, but for 0.0 space, the lower the truesec the better the rats and minerals are.

The truesec value of all the systems has been released (repeatedly) when they exported the database and made that available for download.  This is how fansites that keep track of ore or maps etc can tell you what rats and minerals are where, they use the information from the released database export file.  For example, Grismar is one such fan site (available in-game too), you can see the truesec of systems here.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:09:48 PM by ajax34i »
Jade Constantine

Email
Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 10:25:58 AM

Could someone add an explanation of cyno?

Some other cyno facts :

1. The ship opening a cyno field from its module is fixed in space for 10 minutes min (cycle time of the module)  and cannot move/dock/disappear from space (even if the user logs out).
2. The conventional cyno field appears on the system overview as a beacon (warp to point) that is accessible to everyone in the system while the cyno field is active.
3. Any jump drive capable ship in gang can jump to a gangmates open Cyno Field if they are within range of the beacon.

(see Jump Planner for an excellent utility to plot jump routes -> http://www.eve-icsc.com/jumptools/jumpplanner.php

4. Force Recon class ships reduce the cyno field module cycle time to 5mins (thus reducing its vulnerability to attack while its fixed in place)
5. A new type of "Covert Cyno" field was introduced alongside black ops battleships that allow an secret cyno field to be established that doesn't appear on the system overview. These cyno fields can only be by black ops battleships (which have their own jump drive) + ships sent through the cyno by covert ops portals (see below)
6. Two classes of ships have a Jump Portal module - this can be used to push non jump capable ships through the Cyno Field as long as they have appropriate jump fuel in their cargo bay. Titans have a full jump portal and can move any class of non jump capable ship (including freighters). Black ops battleships can mount a Covert Portal which is capable of moving Covert Frigates, Stealth Bombers and Force recon ships through the portal.
7. Covert cyno fields have a default cycle time of 1 minute rather than the ordinary 10, and if mounted on a force recon ship this is reduced to 30 seconds only. Which means a ship with a covert cyno can afford to open the field actually in a battle and have a fair chance of being able to move and evade afterwards.

Hope these help.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 07:49:52 PM

Thanks!

- Viin
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 03:08:54 PM

Something else to note about Cyno travel: It is based off of "real" distance, measured in LY against the 3D positions of stars.  This means that systems that are very far apart in terms of stargates can be one cyno-jump apart.  This can be very significant, strategically.  For example, in Querious the systems of ED-L9T and 49-UQU are 17 stargates apart, but you can go between them in one Cyno jump (if your jump skills are adequate).  This also applies to POS jumpgates, which have a fixed range of 5ly.  Again in Querious, the stations of Z-UZZN and 49-UQU are 14 jumps apart by stargate, but can be directly linked with a jumpgate pair.  POS jumpgates have other strategic advantages (because they are protected by POS guns) and have dominated 0.0 logistics, and hence strategy, since their introduction.  Having made feasible the use of freighters in 0.0, they have contributed greatly to the population explosion in 0.0 over the last year.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 08:04:18 AM

"snake"

Also, aren't FIX now no longer residents of Querious?  Someone should update the OP, it's become aged, but not like fine wine.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 09:05:34 AM

Snakes are speed implants, mainly used by nano-whores. They are pricey and highly desirable.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
sanctuary
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 11:14:57 PM

Snakes are LP rewards from the Angel faction, Slave set from the Sansha, Halo from Gurista. Serpentis I'm not sure about. Centurion is from Mordu's I think.

Lies Lies Lies

Turns out after I actually did some research; Snake set from Serpentis agents (most of the good ones are in Curse  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?), Slave set from Sansha agents, Halo set from Angels, Talisman from Blood Raiders (hehe good luck with that) and Gurista agents have Crystal set.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:32:34 PM by sanctuary »
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 09:58:08 AM

Updates:

Post terms that people not intimately familiar with EVE won't get here.

BoB - Band of Brothers, a powerful PVP alliance.

RA - Red Alliance, a powerful alliance comprised of primarily Russian players. Also referred to as "the Russians".  Almost extinct.  Some elements have merged into AAA.

AAA - Against All Authorities, an alliance that splintered off of Red Alliance. Fearsome in PVP. Also largely Russian.Still fearsome.

GOON, Goonfleet, Goonswarm - A corporation (Goonfleet) and alliance (Goonswarm) originally stemming from the SomethingAwful Forum Goons.

RAGOON - Refers to the very close ties between Red Alliance and Goonswarm, such that the two effectively operate in concert.

D2 - Dusk and Dawn, a rich industrial alliance. Largely German.Extinct, I believe.

"The North" - The upper part of the game map, when projected into 2-D on things such as the Alliance Map (see Useful Links thread). Dusk And Dawn is no longer located here.

"The South" - The lower part of the game map, as above. In the "west" (left) part of the map, you have the Band of Brothers stronghold regions of Delve and Period Basis. On the "east" side of the map, you have the Red Alliance stronghold of Cache, along with Goonswarm and associated alliances.

FIX - Firmus Ixion. An old alliance that has held the region Querious since time immemorial. They no longer hold Querious.  In fact I can no longer find them on the map.

ASCN - Ascendent Frontier, an extinct alliance. Once the richest industrial alliance in their heydey, and also the first to unveil a Titan-class ship. Was crushed in relatively short order by Band of Brothers and has since dissolved.

T2 - Tech 2. The "high level gear" of Eve, somewhat stronger and better than most other ships/equipment in the game.

Complex - A space dungeon. Usually has a reward at the end. Difficulty ranges from Newbie to requring a group of very advanced players to complete.

Officer/Faction - Special "rare drop" equipment that can be found in some complexes or (very rarely) on random-spawning special NPCs in space.

Maybe someone with a real feel for the actual power players in the universe can post a few updates.  I only know who's gone and who's big, not who's likely to still be here in a month.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 05:50:32 PM

Ewar or ECM: Electronic counter measures.  The ability to jam opponents, causing them to lose their target locks.  Can be countered by ECCM (Electronic counter-counter measures) at the cost of a module slot that could be useful for something else.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Eve Glossary  
Jump to: