Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:32:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Raph Koster on the Wisdom (and Madness) of Crowds 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raph Koster on the Wisdom (and Madness) of Crowds  (Read 7582 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: April 19, 2007, 05:12:41 AM

Raph Koster on the Wisdom (and Madness) of Crowds

Raph Koster gave a talk yesterday at Web 2.0 Expo 2007 on Immersive Experiences: Lessons from Game Designers. Nominally it was about how many of the lessons learned by game designers can be applied to Web site design but really it was a talk about human behavior.

I made an audio recording of his talk that you can find here and the slides can be found on Raph's site here. His laptop locked up during his talk so there's a brief interlude where he talks about one of the slide topics out of order while rebooting his computer and to confuse things a little more he skips some of the ones at the end.

Those of you who have read his book A Theory of Fun will recognize many of the lessons he talks about but it's still worth listening to to hear his amusing gaming ancedotes.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 06:39:30 AM

His laptop locked up and had to be rebooted? Sounds like it must be running SWG 2.0 for an operating system.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 08:23:16 AM

The idea of having more interactive web browsing is kinda interesting, but i also don't want to mix the two up too much.
on another note, schild smells...like cheese. NDA

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 09:05:50 PM

Anyone working on a transcript?  I'll probably do it myself if I can find a couple of hours of spare time somewhere.  The slides don't really stand on their own.   tongue

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 08:14:59 PM

A cleaner recording surfaced here: http://www.agilepartners.com/podcasts/w2e-weds-lessons-game-des.mp3

Also, the panel I was on was also recorded and is available here:

http://www.agilepartners.com/podcasts/w2e-weds-future-of-gaming.mp3
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 08:27:06 PM

Hey Raph, when's your new book coming out?
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 12:10:00 PM

After I finish it.

Which comes after I start it.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 07:43:53 PM

Bummer, I didn't know Raph was talking at Web 2.0 or I would have made sure and shown up .. I was just down the road at another conference last week!

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 07:54:51 PM

After I finish it.

Which comes after I start it.
Better hurry up then -- Amazon says it should have been available April 1, 2007 :-D
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 08:05:21 PM

Take your time, Raph.  The last thing we need is another unfinished book with half the chapters missing at the launch. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Raph Koster on the Wisdom (and Madness) of Crowds  
Jump to: