Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:51:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Chimps Evolved More Than Humans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chimps Evolved More Than Humans  (Read 10548 times)
sinij
Terracotta Army

on: April 17, 2007, 08:06:56 PM

Chimps Evolved More Than Humans

Since the human-chimp split about 6 million years ago, chimpanzee genes can be said to have evolved more than human genes, a new study suggests.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 08:21:42 PM

Maybe if evolution was strictly about biology, then who knows. But there are many other areas where humans have evolved, and aren't so tangible and easily observed. Our tools alone, for instance, would still make us the cream of the crop. We don't need to further evolve for sheer physical prowess or utility. Our tools aid in that.

Another would be our ability to retain and record the knowledge of the past. That makes up for many of the benefits "good breeding" may provide. There may be less stupid, and better equipped chimps than there are humans, but since humans have an easy way of learning from past record (instead of just relying on natural abilities and intelligence), even the most ill-bred, stupid humans can succeed just by cheating their way to the top.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:34:57 PM

You think your tools and pretty buildings make you more "advanced," but my monkey brethren know that they are just building you shinier coffins.

VIVA LA MONKEY!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:43:39 PM

Wait, I have to go to work five days a week so that I can maybe retire at the age of 65.  When I retire I can lay in a hammock and eat fruit seven days a week.

A monkey sits in a tree and eats fruit, every day of his life.

Yes, I would have to agree that the Chimp is the winner.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 09:10:04 PM

My cousin, Erica, has Monkey Farm where they breed monkeys for cheese and sometimes make them into bread.  Mostly Monkey Cheese, though.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:11:44 PM

My cousin, Erica, has Monkey Farm where they breed monkeys for cheese and sometimes make them into bread.  Mostly Monkey Cheese, though.
She is back!

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 11:47:25 PM

VIVA LA MONKEY!
As Oban pointed out, we've already won.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 11:55:36 PM

Wha...? Paelos finally managed to recruit someone to the Monkey Brigade?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 06:56:02 AM

Maybe if evolution was strictly about biology, then who knows. But there are many other areas where humans have evolved, and aren't so tangible and easily observed. Our tools alone, for instance, would still make us the cream of the crop. We don't need to further evolve for sheer physical prowess or utility. Our tools aid in that.

Stray, why are you trying to "prove" that people are better than chimps?  We already know that.  "More evolved" is not the same thing as "more advanced".  Not at all.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 07:32:45 AM

Stray, why are you trying to "prove" that people are better than chimps?  We already know that.  "More evolved" is not the same thing as "more advanced".  Not at all.

He's just taking an early step towards saving our jobs.  Down with monkey worker replacements!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 09:09:55 AM

We have tools and bend the environment to our wills.  We have less need to evolve, less pressure to select advantageous traits, so it makes sense.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 10:08:57 AM

Saying that one organism is "more evolved" than the other based on genotype alone seems kinda superficial and misleading IMO.  Differences in phenotype are much more indicative, if more difficult to quantify and compare.

(This post is maybe the first time in more than a decade that I have used terms like "genotype" and "phenotype".  Go me!)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 11:35:23 AM

Working my ass off versus sitting around wacking off all day... hmm.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 11:39:23 AM

Working my ass off versus sitting around wacking off all day... hmm.

Don't lie.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 01:08:01 PM

They only mean evolved in the 'has under gone more changes' sense.  Not that it's more superior.

It doesn't surprise me that humanity may have been subcounciously breeding to mitigate random change.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 01:09:40 PM

What you say may be true, but it also not funny.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 02:59:19 PM

Chimps also mate like fucking rabbits, even going so far as having 'hello' fucks.  As a result Chimp sperm has evolved to do some funny shit in the female, including 'hunter killer' sperm and 'barrier' sperm-walls.  Seems that it would follow that they'd be "more evolved" than a quasi-monogamous species.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 09:55:09 PM

Chimps also mate like fucking rabbits
That we do, that we do. Now, if you'll excuse me...
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 04:13:30 AM

I'm pretty sure humans are on the way down the evolutionary ladder as we speak so I'm not surprised.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 08:34:02 AM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 01:26:37 AM

Saying that one organism is "more evolved" than the other based on genotype alone seems kinda superficial and misleading IMO.  Differences in phenotype are much more indicative, if more difficult to quantify and compare.

(This post is maybe the first time in more than a decade that I have used terms like "genotype" and "phenotype".  Go me!)

Not if the two organisms are competing for the same resources, in the same environment.  "More evolved" means being able to outcompete other species for the same resources.  Now that we are raping the environment on a global scale, I'd say we are competing for some of the same resources as primates, and the primates are losing, badly.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 05:51:19 AM

"More evolved" means being able to outcompete other species for the same resources.
Evolve just means change, try not to read to much into the idiotically written article.  There is no implicit superiority to being more evolved.  Don't let it get you all defensive.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 11:01:27 AM

"More evolved" means being able to outcompete other species for the same resources.
Evolve just means change, try not to read to much into the idiotically written article.  There is no implicit superiority to being more evolved.  Don't let it get you all defensive.

I'm telling you!  They are going to steal our jobs and women.  We are under attack!  We must take preemptive strikes now.

The "Jungle" should be our next target once we pull out of Iraq.

AAAAIIIiiiiiiieeeeeee.....
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 11:23:47 AM

I'm telling you!  They are going to steal our jobs and women.  We are under attack!  We must take preemptive strikes now.

The "Jungle" should be our next target once we pull out of Iraq.

AAAAIIIiiiiiiieeeeeee.....

I have here some documents showing that the chimps are carrying feces of mass destruction. They plan to launch a major assualt on all humans that get close enough. The incidents in the zoos were merely early tests that our intelligence communities missed.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 12:34:55 PM

DAMN YOU!!!!!!

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 04:35:44 PM

I'm pretty sure my job requires more than a trained monkey, and they certainly aren't going to steal me...

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 10:13:08 PM

I'm pretty sure my job requires more than a trained monkey, and they certainly aren't going to steal me...
Yes, that's fine. You believe that. We're getting closer to breaking down the barriers everyday. Soon monkies will have the lesbian community on our side.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 21, 2007, 11:29:38 AM

I didn't know there was a new film from Mike Judge. I just watched it.

Now I'm frightened, so very very frightened. Coupled with some comments from those VA shootings (the external links) that film gets less and less funny.

It was funny while watching it, though. So thanks for that visual clue that this movie exists Samwise (never made it to the cinemas over here).
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 11:56:28 AM

I like it when people dress them up in people clothes.  So cute!  They almost seem alive!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 02:15:07 AM

I'm not defensive; evolution is the result of natural selection.  Right now, chimps and their bretheren are being outcompeted, and will go extinct.  Their only hope for survival is the goodwill of mankind, and that will go right out the door as soon as the resources to keep them going become too costly.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 07:34:15 AM

"More evolved" doesn't mean they can outcompete, it means they've had more evolutionary changes over time.  That's all.  The theory of evolution isn't about competition as even the "best" species can die off due to a sudden change in environment.

All we can say is that humans are the more dominant species, as our actions impact a majority of the others.

HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 09:50:30 AM

rolleyes

this thread is funny.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 10:32:55 AM

Yeah? Guess what I saw on the TV guide:

Chimps: The Dark Side

NGCHD 4/27 11:00am-12:00pm -- In 1995 a small child in western Uganda was attacked and partially eaten by a wild chimpanzee. This was the first casualty in a spate of horrifying attacks.
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 02:05:00 PM

That looks like Paul Shaffer before baldness kicked in.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 01:21:27 PM

OK, I've decided to join the Monkey Brigade for the time being.

Love of coconuts and all that.  smiley
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Chimps Evolved More Than Humans  
Jump to: