Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:47:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Crafting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crafting  (Read 12417 times)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 31, 2007, 07:06:05 AM

As many farmers pointed out, farming as a system will not work this way due to how crossbreeding works.  In other words, the seed yield has to be 3 seeds not 1 in order to crossbreed, which means in order to farm past Tier 3.

Either the CM was mistaken or a dev was mistaken or Turbine broke farming intentionally without copping to it.  Now I don't know but whatever happened, it was a fuckup and lessens my confidence not only in Turbine's crafting development competence but also in its community management. 

It seemed to me at the time to be an absolute last minute ditch to stop people exploiting the fact that farming was a very, very good source of cash.  Certainly I know a few people who mastered farming as soon as possible and made a couple of gold from it before the patch went in.  I suspect that while the quick fix that was implemented essentially broke farming, the rationale behind it was that they knew (and they said this at the time) they were going to address issues with farming - i.e. increase seed yield for crops needed to crossbreed, lower resource requirements across the board, introduce brewing and decrease costs.

Now I agree that at the moment crafting feels very much like a tacked on but the extent of the changes that are coming up in this very first patch gives me hope for the future.  I do think that it will take a while for it to be meaningful and for professions like cooking and farming to be desirable but I think it will get there.

As for the CM info, I know that on the European forums, which are hosted by Codemasters, the CM staff are entirely from a third party company so I wouldn't expect them to get the messages from the Devs exactly right first time.  Don't know if that's the case with the US forums.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 01, 2007, 06:00:03 AM

ETA -- I'm also glad that I've been obsessively hoarding the random food spawns....because they're coming off of vendors.

Wouldnt it be a lot easier if you have the bank space to store all the random drops to just buy a few stacks off the bree cheap vendor before the patch goes live? I like to have food on my chars when soloing but can barely afford it currently. Hopefully the changes to the pricing of cookable recipe stuff will go a long way to fixing that but also I'll need to hopefully find out from the test server what recipes can be made cheaply and easily. The whole campfire mess really annoys me though it's probably slightly better now. When I wanted to make trail food last time I did some cooking I could not find one person to make me a fire and as none of the outdoor fires at various camps I was basically fucked.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #37 on: June 01, 2007, 06:09:49 AM

I use my campfires all the time w/ my hunter when I solo.  It appreciably ups the regen rate when I run out of food. 

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 01, 2007, 08:18:43 AM

The stuff you can buy off the cheap vendor will most likely stay on him, it's things like blue berries, green onions, taters and such that are needed for all but the most basic recipes that will be pulled off vendors.  After that happens you'll either have to grow them yourself, pick them up in wild or buy them on the AH.  Growing them yourself is an option for everyone with cooking but Tinkers I think but it's another craft skill to grind, harvesting them in the wild takes a lot of time and it's hard to find enough to actually level with.  That leaves buying them on the AH, maybe there will be enough people grinding farming to keep prices reasonable but I'm guessing most farming output will go directly into food and cheap produce will not be showing up in the AH.  I don't much mind since my main is a Yeoman and I actually enjoy the whole farming cooking hobby so the changes will be a net gain for me. 
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 01, 2007, 08:23:40 AM

Damn, gotta stock up on food with my tinker then to last me for a few months!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 01, 2007, 11:23:08 AM

One thing to keep in mind with regard to dye ingredients, which sell pretty well at the AH - they won't spawn unless people pick up the other shit too, since they spawnshare with the food items.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 01, 2007, 12:55:18 PM

Yeah, and giving farmers a node find function should ensure that the spawns get hoovered up more often than they are now.  I swear unless you turn floaty names on you'll miss about 75% of the spawns.  Probably more like 100% for strawberries.  I've only collected two since the game went live.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 01, 2007, 05:53:52 PM

Yeah, and giving farmers a node find function should ensure that the spawns get hoovered up more often than they are now.  I swear unless you turn floaty names on you'll miss about 75% of the spawns.  Probably more like 100% for strawberries.  I've only collected two since the game went live.

despite immersion is there any reason not to have floaty names on in the wilderness anyway? Sure beats walking into crowds of mobs unaware. Can someone remind me what key it was toggled by by default? I turned my toggle off but I strongly suspect my partner doesn't have it on because of how many mobs he wanders into agro range on.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 05:55:26 PM by Phred »
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #43 on: June 01, 2007, 06:14:42 PM

despite immersion is there any reason not to have floaty names on in the wilderness anyway? Sure beats walking into crowds of mobs unaware. Can someone remind me what key it was toggled by by default? I turned my toggle off but I strongly suspect my partner doesn't have it on because of how many mobs he wanders into agro range on.

That'd be the "N" key.  I always mess up and forget it.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 01, 2007, 06:53:36 PM

That'd be the "N" key.  I always mess up and forget it.

Ya that's why I nuked the default binding for it. Was too close to M for map and I was always turning it off. I think I have it on shift-ctl N now or somewhere.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 02, 2007, 05:24:42 AM

Nope, I usually turn it off in towns or in instances since all the PC and NPC/MOB names floating around gets to be a bit much.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 04, 2007, 04:33:39 AM

Nope, I usually turn it off in towns or in instances since all the PC and NPC/MOB names floating around gets to be a bit much.

Speaking of floating names, does anyone else have problems with the dark green color they used for party members? It seems to have horrible contrast and readability in every environment, indoors and out.

Hlk
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 05:32:14 AM

I am woorworker - now lvl 27 char. Woodworking at low levels wasnt possible due to money per Wax, now it's possible, but can't really do masteries because of enormous number of wood needed .. thus items I can barely craft are on Ah for 10s. Unless you can do some real nice items later on, or enjoy crafting as such, I don't see a point ..
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 04, 2007, 05:42:20 AM

I am woorworker - now lvl 27 char. Woodworking at low levels wasnt possible due to money per Wax, now it's possible, but can't really do masteries because of enormous number of wood needed .. thus items I can barely craft are on Ah for 10s. Unless you can do some real nice items later on, or enjoy crafting as such, I don't see a point ..

Weapons, including bows, it seems pointless. I haven't looked but from what I've read you get better bows as drops or from quests tnan a woodworker can make. Maybe some of the crit recipes might be nice though, but that's another kettle of fish. I've been messing around with jewellry and I find I can make a small profit off lower level stuff, especially crit items which can be very nice. Jewellry is pretty hosed though with ore supply. silver,gold,etc spawns are way less than the iron that spawns with it. A 4-5 hr play session with stops to mine nodes I spot might bring in 10 silver ore and 30-40 iron.

If all you want to do is make money just be a gatherer. Forester or something like that is the ultimate farmer profession with wood, metal and leather all covered in one package.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 05, 2007, 12:16:54 PM

Explorer.

Prospecting, Forester and Tailoring. Sell the ore/ingots/wood and boil hides. 

Skip tailoring unless you enjoy having a money sink.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #50 on: June 05, 2007, 12:19:14 PM

Woodworker is fine so far for me.  I've actually upgraded from quest bows to crafted....they eventually get replaced, but that's fine by me.

I just can't find the damn NPC that gives the expert tier quest.  You'd think that it'd be the expert woodworker vendors, but apparently not.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Crafting  
Jump to: