Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:25:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Feb 6, 2007 - Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feb 6, 2007 - Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia  (Read 1404 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: April 09, 2007, 06:48:41 AM

I know it's April already.  I also know that most of you are not going to like this.  I like it, and if you liked Atelier Iris then you probably would also.  It has several improvements that make you not worry about the art reused from the Atelier Iris games, such as text that is readable and no fairy sidekicks.  It also has a combat system that requires at least some thought.  It's complicated and odd enough that I am not going to bother to explain it unless someone asks.  Hell, even after reading the manual I still didn't understand it until after I started fighting.

The short summary is that your character, Lyner, is a young knight that finds out he has to save the world.  Lyner's head is ably played by the head of Klein from Atelier Iris.  Sent down to the Lower World to retrieve the artifact that can save his city of Platina (and thereby the world), he crashes his ship and proceeds to bumble around a world he does not understand.  Along the way to save the world, he meets some weirdos, has funny conversations, learns to craft shit from monster drops, and enters a vaguely sexual relationship with a synthetic human.  Whee!

I suppose that my biggest complaint at the moment is how any freeform element from the "alchemy" system has been removed.  In the first Atelier Iris, you could make many things by substituting ingredients in known recipes.  This was reduced quite a bit, to my dismay, in the sequel.  In Ar tonelico you cannot substitute ingredients in the "grathmeld" system as far as I can tell, so I suppose one of the few places you can get anime art, engrish and a touch of sandbox has finally disappeared.

Also, it came with an art book.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:37:59 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 01:47:43 PM

Jesus, I really was out of it during February.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Feb 6, 2007 - Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia  
Jump to: