Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:22:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Sultry Bioware: New Hot and Steamy Engine! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sultry Bioware: New Hot and Steamy Engine!  (Read 2880 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: April 03, 2007, 05:01:37 PM

BioWare MMO Adopts New Engine
StreamBase to power the mysterious new title.
by Micah Seff

US, April 2, 2007 - As a means of accelerating the development of its next-gen, MMO gaming platform, BioWare has adopted StreamBase's Stream Processing Engine. StreamBase has previously provided Complex Event Processing software to many leading financial institutions as well as the government and military sectors, and has now set its sights on gaming.

With its entry into the popular realm of MMO gaming, BioWare has decided to expand its offerings beyond its beloved role-playing games. BioWare contracted StreamBase for its platform's scalability and persistence capabilities for storing, processing, and querying large volumes of data in real time.

"StreamBase is designed to process enormous amounts of real-time information at blindingly fast speeds, making it an ideal platform for delivering a rich online gaming experience for thousands of players simultaneously," said Barry Morris, Chairman and CEO of StreamBase. "BioWare's MMO gaming initiative is an excellent example of the many kinds of real-time applications that can take advantage of the rapid time-to-value our CEP software offers."

The use of StreamBase allows BioWare to monitor the entire game environment in real time, and immediately offer fixes for any problems, as well as shut down malicious player behavior instantly. Additionally, the "point & click" development architecture has enabled a development period that is supposedly exponentially faster than traditional coding. BioWare hopes that this will allow the development team to concentrate on delivering compelling stories and characters without worrying about infrastructure performance.

"After we evaluated the StreamBase CEP software, we quickly realized that partnering with them would cut our server development costs by multiple man years," said Bill Dalton of BioWare. "Therefore, partnering with StreamBase was clearly the right choice to deliver on budget and on time."

They're still being all sooper sekrety.  I bet they're a bunch of Freemasons.

oops.  Linky.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:11:59 PM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 07:08:40 PM

Dang, woman. First AoC beta, now this. Your game is on today!

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 11:28:29 AM

So, uh... does this work in tandem with the HeroEngine? I seem to remember in the latest version of the HeroEngine PDF I downloaded, they mentioned that some new features they implemented were similar real-time monitoring techniques.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 12:55:11 PM

So, uh... does this work in tandem with the HeroEngine? I seem to remember in the latest version of the HeroEngine PDF I downloaded, they mentioned that some new features they implemented were similar real-time monitoring techniques.

IIRC, Bioware licensed the Simutronics stuff primarily because they have some of the better toolsets in the industry right now. They seem to be trying to build an MMO by cobbling together "off-the-shelf" licensed stuff.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:51:32 PM

IIRC, Bioware licensed the Simutronics stuff primarily because they have some of the better toolsets in the industry right now. They seem to be trying to build an MMO by cobbling together "off-the-shelf" licensed stuff.

Huh. I definitely remember seeing a feature about real-time monitoring and adjusting of things from within the HeroEngine toolsets, so maybe they wanted a more robust stand-alone feature that did the same thing.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 04:52:21 PM

Coolio.  The HeroEngine is more for world dev.  They needed something like this for real-time.  Next, something for CRM, billing, and all the luvely persistent data (stats, murlock teeth, poo) places have as inventory.  Smart they are outsourcing all the middleware and focusing on just the game.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Sultry Bioware: New Hot and Steamy Engine!  
Jump to: