Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: ...I'm afraid of nanobots. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ...I'm afraid of nanobots.  (Read 6909 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

on: April 01, 2007, 03:50:48 PM

I supplement my contractual corporate IT work with on-site service to home customers for spending money.  This has brought me in contact with a lot of very stupid people, a few impressively savvy people, and a few... others.

I was called to a woman's home to check out her computer, tell her what it needed to be ready for Vista, and give her a quote on the upgrades.  Simple enough.  I arrived at her home to find her computer still packed.  She'd owned the thing for three years but never set it up or plugged it in.  And she'd had DSL service for months and never set it up.  Okay, no problem.  I set up the computer (which was an infomercial piece of crap, decent hardware but stuffed to the brim with useless software and probably cost five times what it's worth), installed her DSL, installed SP2 on it and patched it up with all the Microsoft updates, and generally got it ready.  This took a couple hours to do, and she sat in the room while I worked, talking about the current state of computers.

Out of nowhere in this conversation, she suddenly throws in, "I'm afraid of nanobots."

It takes me a couple of seconds to double-check with my memory to confirm that she said what I'd thought she'd said.  Then I ask, "Why are you afraid of nanobots?"

"I'm afraid they'll become intelligent and start thinking for themselves," she replies.

"Um," is all I can think to say for a second.  I decide that taking her seriously is the best policy, so I say, "Nanocomputers are less powerful than old calculators were, I really doubt they'll be becoming intelligent on their own.  I'd be more afraid of, um..."  I think for a suitable example.  "...squirrels becoming intelligent."

There's a moment of soft, ominous silence before the woman quietly says, "Squirrels are intelligent."

At this point, I dropped the subject as fast as I could.

(Despite the date, this is an entirely truthful account, shared for the amusement of others.)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 04:59:57 PM

Hilarious.

She's right about the squirrels though.

They're planning something.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 08:39:25 PM

There's a moment of soft, ominous silence before the woman quietly says, "Squirrels are intelligent."

This would have been the perfect opportunity to reassure her with the Squirrel's lack of an opposable thumb. No matter how smart they get, their potential villainy is curbed by the inability to do much more than grab acorns like a one-year old holding a beach ball. And thanks to a vigilant population of bored domesticated dogs looking for things to chase, they aren't getting enough free time to develop some sort of hydraulic gripping mittens to let them use tools.

We're totally safe.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:13:03 PM

She's right about the squirrels though.

They're planning something.

Ever tried to squirrel-proof a bird feeder?  I'm here to tell you that squirrels are the most devious, conniving creatures Satan ever brought forth on this earth.  And despite my mom's protests, I gave my dad my old pellet gun and told him to have fun.  All other methods were dismal failures.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 11:07:32 PM

We're totally safe.

Unless, of course, they're psychic. Naturally that would explain the popularity of American Idol.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 11:19:13 PM

"Nanocomputers are less powerful than old calculators were, I really doubt they'll be becoming intelligent on their own.  I'd be more afraid of, um..."  I think for a suitable example.  "...squirrels becoming intelligent."

Distributed Intelligence

Thats what she should have answered you  :-D
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 12:09:30 AM

This would have been the perfect opportunity to reassure her with the Squirrel's lack of an opposable thumb.

That's only one good mutation away.  I had a polydactyl cat once who could use his spare digits to grip things.  He'd stand up on his hind legs, stick one arm in the kitchen trash, and fish chicken bones out.

Make no mistake, the squirrels are ready.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 12:10:35 AM

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 03:42:29 AM

This would have been the perfect opportunity to reassure her with the Squirrel's lack of an opposable thumb.

That's only one good mutation away.  I had a polydactyl cat once who could use his spare digits to grip things.  He'd stand up on his hind legs, stick one arm in the kitchen trash, and fish chicken bones out.

Hemingway cat?  My brother has one of those.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 07:01:45 AM

Here in New England, I'd guess a quarter or more of cats have an extra paw. Not all of them have opposable thumbs though, but we've had two that do. (They're really more tripled pawed than double pawed.) So far there's no muscle to back it up though, it's just a limp digit. But it flexes in the right direction.

I've always said if they could open the cat we'd all be dead.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 07:05:35 AM

My friggin cat opens the refrigerator and steals meat out of it if smells something. And thats without opposable thumbs. I don't even dare imagining what it would do with those things, but it might be painful and slow!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 08:43:24 AM

My cat takes a shit in the litter box, doesn't cover it up, then deposits the scooper into the box, and waits for me to get sick of the smell.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 11:27:35 AM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 09:07:03 AM

This has nothing to do with opposable thumbs, but it is funny: My buddies cat doesn't like it when he has more than two friends over at once. If he does, the cat promptly walks in to the bathroom and takes a shit in the middle of the bathtub. He does it pretty much every time, and only does it when there are three or more people over.

Also had a friend whose cat used the toilet. Never learned to flush though.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 09:19:32 AM

The first thing the squirrels are going to do is get revenge on this guy.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 09:29:32 AM

This has nothing to do with opposable thumbs, but it is funny: My buddies cat doesn't like it when he has more than two friends over at once. If he does, the cat promptly walks in to the bathroom and takes a shit in the middle of the bathtub. He does it pretty much every time, and only does it when there are three or more people over.

My friend once had a dog who, upon hearing the phrase "Someone get the phone", would run into the bathroom and hide in the shower. I often wondered who the fuck was calling them.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 12:12:44 PM

Reminds me of a neighborhood woman that once told me the could not stand between the refrigerator and the stove because of the electromagnetic waves.  She had a NO CELL PHONES sign on her front door.  She also lookd much like Odo from DS9 and I called her that all the time... not to her face, though.  My wife, however, called her Odo when we were talking to our neighbors and it got a look from the neighbor.  I plotzed silently.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 01:20:36 PM

A librarian who returned from retirement is mad because we won't take down our wireless network, thus creating an unsafe work environment because of the radiation.

I knew some guys in a biker gang who cooked meth in Frisco that would hold meetings behind a refrigerator because it would muffle their conversations from the feds who were using laser listening devices on the window.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 01:29:03 PM

I knew some guys in a biker gang who cooked meth in Frisco that would hold meetings behind a refrigerator because it would muffle their conversations from the feds who were using laser listening devices on the window.

That's amusing because I used to tell stories to dealer about how police would do stuff like that. I had dozens of stoners convinced that the pigs were 'reading' the glass vibrations with lasers, and looking at their computer screens with van Eck inductors. I even had one freak believing that the mice in the walls were put there by the government after having been trained to sniff out pot.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 01:38:12 PM

During a conversation dealing with puppies and dogs I once convinced an older relative that a corporation had successfully genetically engineered a breed of dog whose growth was stopped at six weeks so that they would stay cute and adorable their whole lives.  I told her they were being marketed under the brand name "Perma Puppies".

Sad thing is it will probably happen in the next fifty years or so.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 04:50:51 PM

I would totally buy a PermaPuppy.  Do you think they'll have them in mauve?

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 04:57:37 PM

I'd totally buy a permakitten if they actually stayed young and bouncy instead of just staying small as they grew old and creaky.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 07:33:26 PM

Holy crap.  That's the best idea ever.

Permapets.

Make it happen, Infinium Labs!

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Lanei
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 07:52:49 PM

Teaching a cat to flush is a good way to get woke up in the middle of the night by the toilet being flushed 30 times in a row.  Not to mention the water bill.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: ...I'm afraid of nanobots.  
Jump to: