Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:41:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 3/20/07 Earth Defense Force 2017 (360) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3/20/07 Earth Defense Force 2017 (360)  (Read 3470 times)
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

on: March 23, 2007, 11:36:42 PM

First, let me put you in my frame of mind here. I've just quit WoW after 2+ years. My 360 has been collecting dust lately. So I figure I'll pick up Oblivion again - I never got very far in the first place, and now I need something to play. Uggghhhh. After a couple hours, I wonder how I ever enjoyed this game in the first place. It's like a game in slow motion ... it feels like the most pointless boring piece of software I've ever played ... ok so I am not in the right mindset to enjoy this game.

In comes Earth Defense Force. I'm reading up on recent releases and I start to read up on it. Maybe this is just what I need. I trade in Oblivion for a tasty $ 24 credit at Gamespot, which reduces this new purchase to under twenty bucks. Not too shabby.

This game is all about instant gratification. The exact opposite of what I've been spending my time on, and exactly what I needed. This game is retard-simple, but I can already see it approaches that zen quality of simplicity. Within the first few minutes I'm blowing up waves of giant ants. The blow up in a spray of green goo and pinwheel into the air ridiculously. Buildings are blowing up from errant missile fire. NPC Allies following me around are spouting the some of the stupidest lines I've ever heard in a game. I am giggling out loud at this shit and my wife is giving me looks like "are you okay honey?" Giant ants are covering a large space-needle like tower, I blow it up with a grenade and they all cascade down to the ground to be obliterated in the ensuing moments by well placed grenades. You never run out of ammo, you just have to deal with automatic reload times that vary by weapon.

All you seem to do in this game is mindlessly blow up waves of enemies. You select two weapons before the level and select the difficulty. You earn new weapons as you go along, better ones with higher difficulty. That's it.

If a part of you yearns for the days of mindless shooters ... read some reviews of the game. Understand its shortcomings. Did you like Serious Sam? This game is less polished, even more simplistic, and third person instead of first, but if you need a game to throw in for an hour or so and instantly start blowing shit up  ... maybe you should check out this game.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 03:48:34 PM by AcidCat »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:41:52 PM

Yea, it's pretty incredible. Planning on reviewing it. Sorta.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 09:39:35 PM

Played this today for at least an hour. It was very awesome for what it was. Probably worth the $40 pricetag, especially if you have a friend to play with.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 04:55:54 AM

Why is it $40 anyways? Length? More or less the same engine as the PS2 stuff they did?
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 05:01:41 AM

Nah. It's $40 because it's not a AAA game. It's actually from a series of budget titles in Japan. I'd go into it, but I'm tired.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 09:18:46 AM

Well I've already gotten more enjoyment out of this "budget" game than most high profile full price games I've played on the system.

The varying difficulty levels and hunt for more weapons adds a lot of replayability. It's a lot of fun to go back and redo levels on harder difficulties once you get some better weapons. The action itself is still a blast after many hours of play.
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 04:00:54 AM

I played it co-op for most of the evening.  It's a lot of fun.  I was worried it wasn't going to change much after the first few stages, but once the godzilla type stuff started showing up...

We got to like stage 22.. or 24, and it says 9% completed.  Is it counting the other difficulties into the total percentage, or are there 100's of stages?

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 08:26:28 AM

Yeah, it might be counting other difficulties. I thought I read in the manual somewhere a figure north of 50 maps.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 11:49:23 AM

Yeah, 52 levels, you'd have to do each level at each difficulty for 100%.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 3/20/07 Earth Defense Force 2017 (360)  
Jump to: