Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 11:16:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Warcraft Beta - Think they will crack a server for it? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warcraft Beta - Think they will crack a server for it?  (Read 8028 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

on: March 22, 2004, 07:00:26 PM

I have been trolling around a couple of other message boards, and there are all these people who are screaming and ranting about getting the Beta Downloader.

Appearently someone on the www.gotwow.net forums has managed to get the beta downloader (which basicly uses a blizzard tweaked BitTorrent Client) to let anyone download the beta installers. (Forums require registration to view).  Someone on the SuprNova forums had also managed to reverse engineer their Torrent Client to get it to download as well.

Now, since it seems that everyone and their dog will soon have a copy of the beta, who thinks they will actually manage to kludge a working server for it?

I seem to remember that the server for the Alpha was only possible because blizzard code monkeys accidently included some server code with the distributed files.  Since I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that they didnt fuck it up this time, what do you think the odds are?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
sergex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 10:34:44 PM

Oh, I think the odds are better than average that it will happen.  It happened with Warcraft 3 and TFT betas, so it's proven that the will and expertise is out there to get this type of hacking done.  It's kind of scary how easy these guys make it look and the forecast isn't going to be sunny for the full release to be hack-free.  Pretty much every MMORPG has their speed hacks, dupes, 3rd party macro programs and so on, but the amount of hacking that goes on in blizzard games will make WoW hacking dwarf all the others.

---Sergex
Disco Stu
Delinquents

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 10:48:44 PM

Quote from: sergex
Oh, I think the odds are better than average that it will happen.  It happened with Warcraft 3 and TFT betas, so it's proven that the will and expertise is out there to get this type of hacking done.  It's kind of scary how easy these guys make it look and the forecast isn't going to be sunny for the full release to be hack-free.  Pretty much every MMORPG has their speed hacks, dupes, 3rd party macro programs and so on, but the amount of hacking that goes on in blizzard games will make WoW hacking dwarf all the others.

O jumping Jesus Christ here we go. Can someone just copy and past the rest of this discussion from WTO?
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 11:51:33 PM

yeah, that is exactly what i am talking about on the other boards as well.

I tried to explain exactly what all is involved with actually running a mmog server and the kind of work that the server actually does, and only about 1 out of 30 people actually seemed to understand the concept.  Everyone else just blathered on about how "They Hax0r3d Frozen Throne, so it cant be that hard" and other things.

TO clairify, I am talking about a full blown MMOG server emulator, or at least something about as content complete as the alpha serer was (ie, you could run around the world, fight some gm spawned mobs, and that was about it.)

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 04:28:38 AM

So, because there's a torrent out for the client the game is destined to be emulated?

What?

They should be happy people who aren't in beta are trying to download it.  The more seeds for them in a bittorrent file the better.

If there's going to be a server emulator, it's going to be because of the help of the leaked source code, and the determination of someone to do it.  Simply stating that torrented access to the beta client dooms it to be emulated is nonsense.
Rei

Email
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 04:48:37 AM

There's a Sandbox server out there somewhere, from what I hear.

But don't bother looking for it, it sucks, apparently.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Warcraft Beta - Think they will crack a server for it?  
Jump to: