Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: March Madness (free prize) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: March Madness (free prize)  (Read 16002 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: March 19, 2007, 09:39:42 AM

Texas and Wisconsin losing, as much as they hurt me, might end up being a blessing in disguise for me, as a lot of you guys seemed to have picked one of those two teams to go deep.

WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: March 19, 2007, 09:56:08 AM

Lucky for Vandy that Taylor Rochestie was playing. He pretty much handed them the game with 2 utterly retarded plays in OT (one in each).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #37 on: March 19, 2007, 01:34:53 PM

Teams that don't have any real super athletes (read: the Badgers) need to play smart to win.  They completely forgot that rule and threw up so many ill-advised 3's at the end of that game...

I'm feeling pretty happy about how things have played out though, lots of schools I like still in it.  People saying omg big10 sux are idiots, Purdue and MSU both hung very tough against the best teams in the country, hell I think Purdue should have won if they just had a bit more firepower..

Some interesting matchups in this next round, looking forward to it.  The huge question is, how deep can Oregon go?  At any time they might go cold and blow it, also I can't wait for Gtown to be exposed, I think Hibbert is a fucking terrible big man.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #38 on: March 19, 2007, 01:46:08 PM

also I can't wait for Gtown to be exposed, I think Hibbert is a fucking terrible big man.

Ok, you suck too. You also smell funny.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #39 on: March 20, 2007, 12:15:16 AM

Anyone else picture Abagadro swigging out of a bottle of Jack Daniels as he curses at these games?

Or is that just me?  Heartbreak  :-D

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #40 on: March 20, 2007, 08:44:25 AM

He is probably extra-irritable because that bottle of Jack cost him double what it would cost if he didn't live in the Beehive State.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 20, 2007, 09:18:48 AM

I'm old and "respectable" now, so I drink Blanton's Bourbon now instead of Jack (which actually was my drink of choice, straight from the bottle with coke chaser, back in the G-town days).

Pure hooch is actually pretty reasonable here. It's the good beer that is outrageously expensive and requires trips to Nevada.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #42 on: March 23, 2007, 06:41:18 PM

Georgetown advances on a completely horseshit play. The refs totally blew that call on a travel.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 23, 2007, 07:49:51 PM

No ref is ever going to make that call with 7 seconds left and the guy is double teamed.  Heck, they won't even call a bump or hack unless it is egregious. You probably didn't even see it until the CBS guys started talking about it.

It evened out the multiple charges called under the basket (which I hadn't seen called all tourney) and Hibbert's BS 4th foul on a ticky-tack screen that completely altered the trajectory of the last 4 minutes.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #44 on: March 23, 2007, 09:30:50 PM

No ref is ever going to make that call with 7 seconds left and the guy is double teamed.  Heck, they won't even call a bump or hack unless it is egregious. You probably didn't even see it until the CBS guys started talking about it.

It evened out the multiple charges called under the basket (which I hadn't seen called all tourney) and Hibbert's BS 4th foul on a ticky-tack screen that completely altered the trajectory of the last 4 minutes.

You'd lose that bet. I never expected that shot to get off without a whistle for the travel, and if not the travel at the very least contact on the shooter which was also there. I'm not going to blame the game on it because that's armchair crap, but I've fucking had it with people ignoring the rules because time is elapsing. A foul is still a foul with a minute left in the game. I was not impressed at all with the officiating that entire game, including Hibbert's foul.

EDIT: Hell I'll go further than that. I've been pretty pissed at most of the officiating the tournament so far. I honestly wonder if they could recognize a travel or a real charge if they saw one.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:35:54 PM by Paelos »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 11:56:33 PM

North Carolina almost choked big time there. It took them almost the whole game to realize they were never going to hit anything farther out than about 10-15 feet. They were chucking it up there, though, tossing brick after brick up until they finally just took it to the hoop. Their shooting was total shit, but they won anyway. I was impressed with USC until they got exhausted. Then it was over, as they choked big time.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #46 on: March 24, 2007, 01:40:42 AM

EDIT: Hell I'll go further than that. I've been pretty pissed at most of the officiating the tournament so far. I honestly wonder if they could recognize a travel or a real charge if they saw one.

Ohio State would be watching the game at home if the officiating had been any bit consistent this entire tournament (that was an intentional foul, damnit).  Taking 1.1 seconds off a deflection that took maybe .2 seconds in the A&M game after looking at the replay for what seemed like 15 minutes (thanks too Acie Law for blowing that layup)? 

On that traveling non-call, only the pundits in the studio were crying about it.  People calling the action just didn't see it. People calling later games didn't see it.  I didn't see it until they slowed it down, zoomed in on his feet, and rewind-replayed like it was the Zapruder film.

-Rasix
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 24, 2007, 09:12:41 AM

Ya, the later commentators said no on that and it looked to me that his pivot foot was actually kicked by the defensive player.

The 1.1 second thing was accurate though. If you watch the reply it deflected off the dude's hand, bounced in bounds and then bounced about 4 feet into the stands before it actually hit out of bounds. I agree on the Oden foul though.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #48 on: March 24, 2007, 09:47:09 AM

I'm hoping for a solidly officiated game tonight with Ohio State and Memphis. Ohio State is a team on life-support barely pulling through at the last second. I believe Memphis will beat them unless something odd happens.

EDIT: Well so much for that plan. It appears any team I actually root for well be sacrificed to the basketball gods.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 05:34:51 PM by Paelos »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #49 on: March 24, 2007, 08:35:16 PM

Kansas choked big time tonight. They couldn't hit anything, and that Afalo kid was fucking amazing. I did not expect the Bruins to be that good.

Ohio State just took over once Oden came in and the Memphis big men started having to foul him. Oden is way too graceful with his shots to be that big a man. Memphis kept hitting 3's but couldn't get inside.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 25, 2007, 04:31:17 PM

HOYA SAXA!

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #51 on: March 26, 2007, 09:15:16 AM

Georgetown just took over in the last 5 minutes, and North Carolina probably did one of the worst choke jobs I've ever seen. After spending most of the game gobbling up offensive rebounds, it was like they didn't even want to try to work the boards anymore, like they could sit back and defend and it'd all be ok.

And WTF is with all the Hibbert love? He seemed to be in foul trouble most of the night, and when he did do anything, it didn't seem all the spectacular to me.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #52 on: March 26, 2007, 10:21:35 AM

And WTF is with all the Hibbert love? He seemed to be in foul trouble most of the night, and when he did do anything, it didn't seem all the spectacular to me.

He gets in foul trouble, because he seems to play with a certain immaturity.  He reaches in a LOT and on really odd plays.  He was doing this with 4 fouls, which was driving myself and the announcers nuts. 

Other than that.. the guy had like 7 blocks and at least 3 of them were when he had 4 fouls.  He can rebound, he can defend, he's got decent footwork, and good touch for a guy his size.  He keeps getting better every year too.  Small improvements that are turning him into someone that might actually make it in the NBA. 

The baffling thing about him is that t-shirt he wears under the uni?  Is he allergic to the uniform's fabric? Does he have a bizarre sweating disorder? Flabby arms? Obscene tattoos? Burned by acid?

I didn't think the Hoyas were going to win this one coming in after watching both teams play.  Luckily NC once again forgot how to run their offense and decided that shot selection is at best a "nice to have".  My friend the NC fanboi is probably seething at the moment.  I'm afraid to call him.

Edit: Hibbert's stat line - 13 pts, 11reb, 6blks, 4assts and a steal. Not shabby.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:24:24 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #53 on: March 26, 2007, 11:32:31 AM

That's not a bad stat line. But for a big guy, I thought Florida's Horford, NC's Hanbrough (in the Hoya game, not the USC game), Oden and Florida's Noah all had better skills. Hell, his own teamate, Green, had a better game, IMO.

And did anyone watch the Florida/UCLA game? Was Lee Humphrey just shooting the lights out or what?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #54 on: March 26, 2007, 11:50:27 AM

I'll make some more predictions, so go ahead and bet the other way of whatever I pick. You'll probably win money.

Florida ends up beating UCLA because nobody beats Florida in the last 5 minutes. The game will be close as usual until 5 minutes left, and then Florida pulls away.
Ohio St. really showed up finally against Memphis and blew them apart. Georgetown is coming off a big OT win where they skunked UNC. I have to give the edge to Georgetown because I feel they want it more, but it's a close close call.

Florida v. Georgetown in the championship. Although, Florida v. Ohio State would make the ESPN analysts cream all over themselves with the football/basketball comparisons. One can only hope it doesn't come to that.

WayAbvPar

Reply #55 on: March 26, 2007, 12:04:31 PM

Florida ends up beating UCLA because nobody beats Florida in the last 5 minutes. The game will be close as usual until 5 minutes left, and then Florida pulls away.

I blame this on the fact that there is so much misinformation about transgendered people like Noah. No one understands it, so no one wants to guard him too closely.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #56 on: March 26, 2007, 12:21:02 PM

You sir, win this thread.  Bravo.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 26, 2007, 12:24:07 PM

I think people are big on Hibbert because of teh Baby Huey factor. He plays ragged because he hasn't developed all the way yet but still does pretty darn well. The "upside" is potentially huge. He's also 7' 2" yet pretty athletic which doesn't come around much.

On the T-shirt thing, Patrick Ewing did the same thing. If my memory serves, Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo did too. I think it is sort of a GU tradition for big men.

-H.L. Mencken
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 26, 2007, 02:57:26 PM

I'll second the call for solid officiating.  Having watched the Oregon/Florida game Noah got lots of call love.  Especially towards the end of the game. 

Of course if Lee hadn't been shooting the lights out (again, good god) and Porter had done more than just draw iron; it would have been a win the other direction.

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 01:16:57 PM

I'm a big fan of the t-shirts.  Who wants armpit closeups on every free throw?  Good to see Pitt choke in the round of 16 again, some things really do never change.  Especially when you have a 7 footer up against a short but very physical defense who can't even get to the freethrow line.  Go Hoyas.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 29, 2007, 10:37:53 PM

I'm thinking I may execute a "be happy either way" manuever with tomorrow's game because of the line. It appears to have settled with Ohio State +1. So if I take OSU there really isn't any way I can come away unhappy with the game that I can see. I just need to balance how happy I will be if GU wins to determine how much to bet.

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #61 on: March 30, 2007, 09:19:28 AM

That sounds like a formula for misery. I would go with your heart and then drink heavily if the Hoyas gag.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 30, 2007, 09:57:31 AM

No, it executes quite well in the right circumstances. I use it all the time when BYU plays as I hate them. If GU wins, yay! If GU loses, money! If GU wins by 1, yay and only lose the vig!

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #63 on: March 31, 2007, 05:34:54 PM

If I've got this figured right, only Nebu and Runnin' Rebs can possibly beat me. Complete ignorance 4TW!

Hibbert looked better in that game, but Green being a non-factor is what killed the Hoyas.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 31, 2007, 05:42:46 PM

Yay OSU! I want me some Florida revengeance. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 31, 2007, 06:28:05 PM

Green completely failed to show up. Oh well. Bad thing is I got so into my poker game last night that the sportsbook closed before I couldn't get my money in. Sadness. 

Will be fun watching Florida kick the crap out of OSU again for a title.

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #66 on: March 31, 2007, 08:03:54 PM

Welp, this pool is down to me vs. Nebu. If OSU wins, I win, if Florida wins, it's all Nebu. It's been a good tournament.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #67 on: March 31, 2007, 10:55:56 PM

Well Florida is going to be favored this time. That might lead to OSU's victory since they were so overrated in the last game.

My money would be on Florida though.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 01, 2007, 02:41:36 AM

Welp, this pool is down to me vs. Nebu. If OSU wins, I win, if Florida wins, it's all Nebu. It's been a good tournament.

I really would have rather seen a tournament where like a 7 or 9 seed won it all... still, it should be a good game.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #69 on: April 01, 2007, 09:45:15 AM

The more I look at the matchup and all the knobslobbing, "Basketball AND Football powerhouses" talk, and then the announcers comparing them to teams of the past, I'm just saying screw it at this point. I couldn't care less about this game and I HATE Florida.

I won't be watching one minute of this game.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: March Madness (free prize)  
Jump to: