Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:36:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: We are getting tired of dodging bullets 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: We are getting tired of dodging bullets  (Read 9241 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: February 12, 2007, 08:23:15 PM

Literally and figuratively. We very nearly went to dinner at this place tonight. Only reason we didn't is because my kid has a bit of a cough so we decided not to go. We would have been just finishing up and walking out when this started. 

My wife was in an office that was shot up in SLC in 1999.

Almost makes me want to not leave the fucking house.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:47:09 PM

Is SLC crime-ridden or something?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:09:26 AM

I hate big cities. I'll never live in one again, I've lived in several. Hell, even my shitty little town has shootings these days, and lots of stabbings. What the hell is wrong with people?

I've got a list an arm long of times I've been shot at, been near shootings, been near shooters. Cities are for teh sux. I lived in LA during the Rodney King riots, the guy on the corner was shot to death. I've walked out the doors and had cars fully engulfed in flame. I was walking past a parking garage and a guy jumped off and hit the pavement 50 feet away. Fuck cities, man. People are broken.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 07:17:18 AM

Good to hear you're ok, Abo,  I didn't realize you were in SLC.

I hate big cities. I'll never live in one again, I've lived in several. Hell, even my shitty little town has shootings these days, and lots of stabbings. What the hell is wrong with people?

Rats, when crammed into tight groups will begin to eat each other to avoid competition and survive.  I imagine we've got something similar ingrained deep in our DNA.

Don't worry, when the 'azn bird flu' finally happens, we'll all have plenty of space.  Well, those of us that live.  rolleyes :-D

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 07:37:27 AM

Was it mad max or fallout quote... "... and those that lived envied the dead?" 30% and up global casualties have a potential to collapse our society.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 07:48:30 AM

I like to trot this out a lot when the topic comes up.  I'm not really advocating population shrinkage, as long as people keep the fuck to themselves.

EDIT: And!  As usual, I like to draw parallels between this real-life phenomenon and virtual ones in online games.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 08:00:06 AM

I'm not really getting what you are saying there. Sociology wise, people have adapted to big cities, where often times they will only meet someone once for the rest of their lives. You can live in a sea of people without forming stable relationships with them.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 08:25:17 AM

Well, that's the whole point.  I'm not saying that you'll end up stabbing the 200th person you meet, I'm just saying that you will have a hard time giving a shit about more than whatever the number happens to be.  I figure that the number of people I am able to care about shrinks due to the fact that I have a lot more on my mind than picking bugs off of my associates, but I believe the principle is sound.  People have adapted to big cities by ignoring most of the people they see.

WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 08:31:46 AM

Whipping out a shotgun and going on a rampage is a long step from not giving a shit about some stranger.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:37:59 AM

Whipping out a shotgun and going on a rampage is a long step from not giving a shit about some stranger.

For some of us it's not so long a step.  The more people are around, the smaller that step becomes because you start to see people more and more as obstacles rather than, well, people.

Then add-in the fun fact that the more people that are around, the larger the number of people who feel that way becomes.   It only takes one spark in a powderkeg, as it were.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 08:46:16 AM

Everytime someone goes on some misinformed rant against cities, I love to trot this one out.  A bunch of city kids murdered by a hick from the sticks :P

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 08:49:32 AM

I've always felt you could fire a shotgun in a crowded mall and never hit someone important.

Until of course, that mall is one I'm living in or near.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 09:21:01 AM

If you were reduced to living in a mall, wouldn't you want someone to shoot you?

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 09:27:02 AM

I'm wondering if they considered handguns when they created the second amendment?

Edit: I don't mean to turn this into a political thing... after living in west Phili for a while, I quickly began to wonder if handguns were such a good thing. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:30:44 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 10:18:03 AM

You'll be thanking Jesus for those handguns when the terrists invade en masse.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 10:28:30 AM

Sweet Lord he was wearing a trenchcoat!!!!

BAN TRENCHCOATS!  THOSE THINGS ARE DANGEROUS!

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 11:13:41 AM

You're re-railing my derail, I wasn't commenting directly on the original issue of someone deciding he had to go kill some people for an unknown reason.  I agree with you, actually.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 12:37:24 PM

I've been in Houston for eighteen years and only heard a handful of gunshots.  (The ones in the apartment behind the one I was visiting was pretty scary though.)

I really don't know how your cities manage to have so much trouble.

Edit - The Dunbar Number is interesting when considering MMOs and social behavior.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 12:41:22 PM by Lantyssa »

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 12:44:42 PM

Edit - The Dunbar Number is interesting when considering MMOs and social behavior.
I first heard that theory from Raph when he was still wearing his Designer Dragon costume.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 01:02:18 PM

I've heard the dunbar's number adapted to management techniques, in that the most you should ever have working for you is 10 people, and the most that they should have working for them is 10 people. That way, you can have a relationship with not only the people under you and on your level, but the people under them as well.

It's less than the dunbar's number, but then again you're supposed to have a personal life too, right? It's supposed to be one of the ways you can avoid getting too separated.

Edit: Oh look, it's right there on the wikipedia page, points to business management.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 01:04:32 PM by bhodi »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 01:24:52 PM

I'm wondering if they considered handguns when they created the second amendment?

I feel that they were thinking of weaponry in general, and I don't know that they would have differentiated... not that I'm a Constitutional scholar or anything.  Ensuring the common man would not be rendered defenseless is my take on it, be it blade or gun or whathaveyou.  Of course, I'm about to start up a nasty discussion if I keep going, so I'll just leave that topic right there.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 02:04:17 PM

It's all about Monkeysphere's baby!

The Theory Of Monkeysphere!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 02:35:25 PM

The only time I've ever been shot at was hunting. And I didn't even go with Dick Cheney.

By shot at I mean not the target but someone not looking where their shot was going.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:39:27 PM by Furiously »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 02:39:08 PM

It's all about Monkeysphere's baby!

The Theory Of Monkeysphere!

They won me over with this quote...

Quote from: Monkeysphere
Picture a monkey. A monkey dressed like a little pirate, if you wish. We'll call him Slappy.

Mmmmmm ... pirate monkeys.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 07:29:05 AM

Ninja monkeys!

Apparently ground well-trodden.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 07:34:49 AM

That deserves a waffle.

Rofl Waffle

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 07:33:32 PM

This thread, and also Sky's post specifically, are reasons why some of us are quite happy to live in Australia.  :-D

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 08:22:28 PM

This thread, and also Sky's post specifically, are reasons why some of us are quite happy to live in Australia.  :-D

You're not safe in Australia either, though, so don't be so smug.  They're PIRATE ninja monkies, man.  Ninjas come from the Orient, which is much closer to you than us by boat.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 09:07:07 PM

I like cities. Especially the type with scooters and a lot of people walking into each other.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 12:07:42 AM

I'm just happy to bring more monkey to any thread, really.

It's part of my job here.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 12:21:46 AM

You're not safe in Australia either, though, so don't be so smug.  They're PIRATE ninja monkies, man.  Ninjas come from the Orient, which is much closer to you than us by boat.

There's actually a bunch of real-life pirates a few thousand K's north of the top end.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 04:31:15 AM

There's actually a bunch of real-life pirates a few thousand K's north of the top end.

Yes, but are they monkeys who are also ninjas?

Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 05:45:12 PM

Most of them don't come from Australia itself, but from the SE Asian countries near us. I'm pretty sure they have access to monkeys, though I am not sure if they train them as ninjas and put them on pirate ships. The only ones I've seen on TV just seem to be sapians of the asian variety, as opposed to the monkey variety. I didn't see any black clothing or masks either, but I did see a sword. This sword could potentially have been dropped by a ninja monkey as he jumped overboard before the cameras could spot him and thus expose the great conspiracy so secret I don't even know what to call it. So yes, I would say they are almost definitely ninja monkeys.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 07:57:53 PM

That's so much easier to explain than you just made it.

1) They're Asian.  All Asians are ninjas.
2) They are ultra-evolved monkeys.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: We are getting tired of dodging bullets  
Jump to: