Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:41:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Viking Werewolves! And They're Coming Right At You! (CCP) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Viking Werewolves! And They're Coming Right At You! (CCP)  (Read 14001 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: February 10, 2007, 01:44:09 PM

World of Darkness MMO confirmed!
Posted by todd on on Saturday, February 10 @ Eastern Standard Time
General MOG Info

http://visir.is/article/20070210/FRETTIR01/102100087&SearchID=73271716090638

Its in Icelandic.

Not like we didn't see it coming but they have finally confirmed it (even though they said they were exploring it at the time of the merger).

Heres the ROUGH translation.

Quote:

The Icelandic game developer CCP will be developing a new massively multiplayer online computer game called World of Darkness. The game will be developed along with White Wolf, the board game company CCP merged with last year.

The setting of the game will be World of Darkness, a world inhabited by vampires and werewolves. White Wolf created said world and has written stories and books that take place there.

Halldór Fannar Guðjónsson, one of CCP's programmers, couldn't give any more details on the game, but said its development will begin in the next few months.

CCP owns an operates the Icelandic massively multiplayer online game EVE Online which currently has over 180.000 subscribers.

You heard it here first. I demand you all to discuss how bad/great it will be.

Submitted by Kain - Thanks buddy!

SOURCE

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 01:52:41 PM

I look forward to discussing this game when it goes into closed beta 4 years from now.  rolleyes
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 01:57:18 PM

What a wonderful distraction from CCP's current woes.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 02:32:10 PM

As long as the people connected to their idiotic, blatant in-house cheating are affiliated with the company in any way, nothing CCP produces will be worth playing and only a fool would do so. The fact that their in-house culture is so thoroughly and utterly corrupt is disgusting. Three weeks ago I would have looked forward to this. As it stands, it will simply be nothing more than another venue for CCP employees to manipulate the game to satisfy their own personal gameplay while at the same time boning their subscribers.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 02:37:29 PM

I'd rather play an Exalted Lunar.
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 02:38:48 PM

Dirp!

Dip!

<hit da wrong button fur edits and stuff>
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:48:43 PM by Damn Dirty Ape »
Rhonstet
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 02:39:22 PM

I look forward to buying this game in five years.  Then reactivating the account after they fix all the initial bugs and interface issues three years later.

We now return to your regularly scheduled foolishness, already in progress.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 02:54:44 PM

As long as the people connected to their idiotic, blatant in-house cheating are affiliated with the company in any way, nothing CCP produces will be worth playing and only a fool would do so. The fact that their in-house culture is so thoroughly and utterly corrupt is disgusting. Three weeks ago I would have looked forward to this. As it stands, it will simply be nothing more than another venue for CCP employees to manipulate the game to satisfy their own personal gameplay while at the same time boning their subscribers.

Only because they got caught. This shit goes on everywhere. I have always operated under the assumption that the devs are helping out their friends/guilds.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 03:03:28 PM

It's a fucking game, run by regular fucking people. It's not like Jesus came down and made the damn thing. Try not to get fucking junior high drama all over it, okay?
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 08:38:51 PM

I hope they get help with the interface or every trenchcoat and spiky black hair variant will have it's own modal window popup.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 08:48:32 PM

It's a fucking game, run by regular fucking people. It's not like Jesus came down and made the damn thing. Try not to get fucking junior high drama all over it, okay?

Someone check Morat's IP and make sure he isn't from Iceland.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 09:03:15 PM

Nah, he's from where I am.  He knows way too much about it to not be.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 09:31:44 PM

Yeap, games are made by people, and people are broken.  That is where we build social structures to ameliorate their worst aspects.  The critical failure here wasn't the developer cheating, it was the company failing to be upfront it's customers.  Since the company has all the information, and the customer has none, one expects the company to be entirely open about its employee indiscretions.  CCP has demonstrably failed this test, and thus forfeited my trust.  I can't think of anyway they could assure me that any CCP game would be fairly run, and without that, there really is no point in playing.

Pass.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 11:25:56 PM

Devs playing their own game with perks for them and their buddies? Anyone remember Brad McQuaid playing a ranger called Aradune? He repeatedly proclaimed that rangers were 'working as intended' when the flat obvious truth of the matter is that rangers were near useless. How do you think McQuaid came to the conclusion that they were fine the way they were? He had to have twinked himself out the bloody nose, is how.

I know, all the arguements about how EVE is a PVP economy where BoB's advantages affected thousands of players are valid, to a point. But F13 Corp complaining about BoB having an unfair edge is like Joe's Taco Stand in Renton minging on about insider trading at Microsoft. Technically, we all breathed the same air, but for all intents and purposes, we may as well have been playing a different game.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 02:07:21 AM

I'm looking forward to this.  I'll hold off picking a side, though, until I see who the devs are going to be playing for.  No point making it hard for myself.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 06:06:30 AM

I must have missed this CCP drama... where's it at?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 06:09:54 AM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 07:23:21 AM

Could CCP be the only dev house in the world to make two MMOGs without at least one featuring elves?

Oh the humanity!

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 07:44:29 AM

screw that

I'd rather give my credit card to a strip joint -- be less sleazy
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 07:52:43 AM by Soln »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 07:45:10 AM

I'm looking forward to this.  I'll hold off picking a side, though, until I see who the devs are going to be playing for.  No point making it hard for myself.

brilliant
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 08:34:59 AM

No, I'm from Houston. And I play EVE almost purely carebear, so I've got...oh, zero actual impact from this, which might explain my general failure to indulge in "TEH SKY IZ FALLING!".

I just find a lot of overreaction -- but like I said, doesn't affect me really. I just think it's weird that such a cynical site has even a significant number of people upset over this. It's going to happen, in every game company, in every MMORPG you ever play. And every one of them will react like CCP does -- except most probably won't even bother with internal audits.

T20 should still be fired. I suspect if this crpa goes on, he'll "resign for the good of the game".
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 08:49:10 AM

No, I'm from Houston. And I play EVE almost purely carebear, so I've got...oh, zero actual impact from this, which might explain my general failure to indulge in "TEH SKY IZ FALLING!".

So you play EvE for the fun of mining asteroids?  wink
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 09:15:49 AM

So is this the gothy political World of Darkness or the new Achille's House of Horrors World of Darkness?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 10:39:03 AM

Doesn't really matter.  It's going to vamp vs were Quake regarless.  Although, I wouldn't it pass  CCP to go political MMO with heavily resticted combat.

"Me am play gods"
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 10:59:36 AM

No Mage, though?  Bah. 
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 11:12:17 AM

I am sure, like usual, mages will be scewed. If werewolf tears up a mall, no one gives a crap.  If a mage lights a cigarette with magic, the universe's panties get in a bunch and it starts send deathsquads after you.

"Me am play gods"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 04:06:03 PM

God, I can see a bunch of leather-clad manginas running around with eight million variations on the name Selene.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 05:42:27 PM

So you play EvE for the fun of mining asteroids?  wink
Only very rarely. I'm working on trading, and I do some PvE for loot to fund my exploration. It's a vast enough game that I'm content to slowly explore how things work. It's skill training system means that slow exploration doesn't hurt me -- it actually helps me. I can spend two days getting up enough basic skills to start trading, and then while I spend a month playing with buy/sell orders I'm improving the crap out of combat skills.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 05:50:53 PM

I am sure, like usual, mages will be scewed. If werewolf tears up a mall, no one gives a crap.  If a mage lights a cigarette with magic, the universe's panties get in a bunch and it starts send deathsquads after you.

Well, you have to remember that game implementation of the old Mage rules would be really, really hard. I don't know about the new system, but i would imagine that they have the same issues about it.

And as far as Deathdealers are concerned...  there is but one word you have to fear. 'Lestat'.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 08:07:14 PM

Well, you have to remember that game implementation of the old Mage rules would be really, really hard. I don't know about the new system, but i would imagine that they have the same issues about it.

And as far as Deathdealers are concerned...  there is but one word you have to fear. 'Lestat'.
I concur on mages. I tried playing Mage a handful of times. It appeared to be an exercise in "Convincing the GM that yes, indeed, that fell within the Entropy sphere". Mage -- at least the old system -- is just too inventive. It's about creative application. To utilize it in any computer game setting would require rigorously neutering the rules and applications.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 01:20:54 AM

I'll bet you a million-billion pounds that any implementation of Mage they do will end up with a crappy (WOW) rage-style bar that starts at zero and fills up a number of points every time you cast a spell, and then decays over time.  Things that people who never played Mage will think are bad will happen when you fill (or get close to filling) the bar, such as miscasts or backfires.  Which is, of course, as nothing compared to what would happen in PnP Mage if The Great Munchkinus decides to try and fling a fireball at a vampire in the middle of a crowd of people.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 05:48:33 AM

Yeah but PK'ing and emoting azrape over the corpses of angsty, emo, vampire wannabe's would be so worth the rest of the hassle.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 06:51:31 AM

Never played Eve, I always meant to try it at some point, or I did until it became clear the devs can cheat and the company covers up for them.  I have zero reason to believe this game will be any different.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 12:29:27 PM

I know, all the arguements about how EVE is a PVP economy where BoB's advantages affected thousands of players are valid, to a point. But F13 Corp complaining about BoB having an unfair edge is like Joe's Taco Stand in Renton minging on about insider trading at Microsoft. Technically, we all breathed the same air, but for all intents and purposes, we may as well have been playing a different game.

Being from Renton, this Joe's Taco Stand intrigues me...

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 12:40:01 PM

Didn't I report on this for my blog in November? Not exactly new news, but good confirmation.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Viking Werewolves! And They're Coming Right At You! (CCP)  
Jump to: