Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:20:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: First night and moving forward. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First night and moving forward.  (Read 14059 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

on: February 07, 2007, 08:05:27 AM

So we got a few of together in squad last night. None of us had much, if any, experience.  While I agree with pxib's compents, I am not ready to move on.

The first "organized" thing we did was to take an AMS down to someone else's base.  Of course we had no idea what to do once we get there.  We caught the attention of a mosquito and a BFR.  It was pretty much over.  We had no way to deal with them.  We moved to an area with no people with naive dreams of taking a base ourselves.  Took us a while to get on the same page.  Luckily there was an experienced hacker working on the base when we got there.  But the enemy soon showed up and we got beat up, but I thought we fought back better.

Obviously we need to stick together more.  An experienced player would be massively helpful.  We really need to incorporate vehicles and anti-vehicle skills as they were giving us most trouble.  Maybe create some sort of squad build while we can still switch certs for free.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:40:01 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:11:38 AM

I admit that I wasn't much help.  I did a few more tutorials after most of you went to bed and it helped me understand a little better.  The thing that concerns me is that a group of BR6's just don't have enough toys to deal with the 2-3 guys we ran into at that base.  I'm willing to keep at it a few more nights though.

I appreciate the f13 folks that were on and their patience.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:18:47 AM

This game is almost four years old, with organized outfits using teamspeak for coordinated efforts. Even small experienced squads are going to crush us.

As far as pxib goes, he's a mmog player, apparently. This is not necessarily a game of accomplishment. There's a lot to do and that's the fun part. Firefights, being a giant mech, flying around, driving vehicles or shooting the big gun, stealthing, setting up combat engineer placeables for defense. There's no directed gameplay and little dingratz about it, and at the end of the day everything you do means nothing.

I'm cool with that because the game is fun. But it is tough because most of the playerbase knows every quirk of the engine, it's like trying to put together a new CS team. We're going to get slaughtered, but we can have fun doing so imo.

In addition, it's only like $15 or so to move beyond BR6 :P I reactivated my Station Access, for anyone playing Vanguard (or EQ2 or whatever) it's even less because they just have to upgrade to Station Access.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:36:51 AM

Feh, this is why I was opposed to the freakin Barneys. (Ok, not the only reason, but a big one) All of the fleshed out toons with useful shit beyond BR6 are NC. I could've provided a lot more support with them than a fresh out the simulator B4-6. Lan and her roomie have NC toons that could contribute. Etc...

I'll play my Vanoob if I must, but I still think we'd have a better run with another empire.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 08:45:39 AM

If I could roll a third empire, I'd be willing to roll an NC. I've never played that faction.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 10:24:13 AM

Vanu for life. Maybe I'll resub and try to give ya some pointers. Wife will have my ass, though.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 10:25:43 AM

Vanu for life. Maybe I'll resub and try to give ya some pointers. Wife will have my ass, though.

I will keep her busy.  Log in!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 10:59:46 AM

Corp por , bitch.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 11:18:22 AM

We'd need her busy for more than three minutes, Ched...  evil

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 11:30:25 AM

And that three minutes includes the clean up.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 11:43:17 AM

And that three minutes includes the clean up.
And the sobbing.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 11:53:24 AM

And the excuses, "That's never happened to me before..."

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 02:48:53 PM

I like. It has that old tribes feel. I may sub a month or two.

I took flail but I can't seem to ever field it? Does something special need to happen? (edit: I found out about caverns. I guess being on the losing side means we'll never be able to use these...)

Is the Laze useful? Other people can't see my markers, right, so I can't say mark for random artillery fire or anything...

I completely missed the MAX stuff last night, those are fun. I guess there's no way I can get into the big mechs or use the spiker or maelstrom...

The Training missions really helped me out.

Is it just me or do the hover vehicles really suck? They're impossible to aim.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:09:29 PM by bhodi »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 03:07:15 PM

So are you going to make the GUILD tonight?

I raked in some cheap AEO kills with heavy assult at lunch today :)
When you die with armor full you have sniped, right?

"Me am play gods"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 03:09:49 PM

No.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 09:50:14 PM

fun enough to sub, so I did for a month at least.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 10:55:40 PM

Sorry that I haven't yet been able to login, but if anyone is willing to play friday night (late for you east coasters), I'll try to give some leadership and tips.

It can be really difficult I fully agree until you get a swing of things--just hang tight!

Rumors of War
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 11:50:30 PM

Well, not sure what other people thought of tonight, I was on Sklar, and I saw some of you out there, but I had a pretty good time.  Could be that MAXs die slower and kill faster than a Medium Assault setup, or it could be that we didn't get rolled like we did last night (In fact, until the BRF driver and friends showed up around 10pm Central, we were pretty much the ones rolling people), but I had quite a bit of fun, and definitely saw a lot of stuff blow up real good.

Which isn't to say that I don't think there are some pretty glaring flaws in interface and documentation, but I need to get to sleep.  Maybe I'll rant a little some other day.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 12:04:19 AM

I missed you guys last night, but I was able to get some time in tonight with Cal, Taz, Bhodi and Nebu. Had tons of fun.

Playing with someone who actually knows what is going on is KEY.

And somehow, until we started to experiment towards the end of our session, I was actually at about .500 (20/20 or so). I think I can take back most of the smack I laid upon the game, though the documentation is still shit, and sometimes the map isn't all that helpful. But at least I now know how to get to the fights more easily.

Also, I may eventually have to sub for a month if enough people stick with this. I like my MAX setup, but I know there are going to be times when I'm gonna want to snipe, or be a driver/pilot.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 06:44:51 AM

I missed you guys last night, but I was able to get some time in tonight with Cal, Taz, Bhodi and Nebu. Had tons of fun.

Playing with someone who actually knows what is going on is KEY.

And somehow, until we started to experiment towards the end of our session, I was actually at about .500 (20/20 or so). I think I can take back most of the smack I laid upon the game, though the documentation is still shit, and sometimes the map isn't all that helpful. But at least I now know how to get to the fights more easily.

Also, I may eventually have to sub for a month if enough people stick with this. I like my MAX setup, but I know there are going to be times when I'm gonna want to snipe, or be a driver/pilot.

So true, there are many nuances (sp?) to the game that Vets really know how to work. After playing for a long time, you can really see whats happening on the map, and know that since a particular generator at a tech plant is down, is why you can't pull reavers and Magriders. So those players already have a waypoint up and are enroute to a guarunteed small group engagement.

Taking and holding generators can be fun as hell. Wave after wave of players all wanting in to repair, the ammo is running low, the only thing that can save you now is the ammo off your enemies corpses to keep figting....

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 06:59:36 AM

Taking and holding generators can be fun as hell. Wave after wave of players all wanting in to repair, the ammo is running low, the only thing that can save you now is the ammo off your enemies corpses to keep figting....
People actually blow up generators these days?
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 07:02:11 AM

Maybe not, I havent played in like 6 months. Its a good strategic move for a small squad.

tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 07:07:26 AM

It happens, yeah. Particularly if there's only one enemy tech plant. Taking the gen down there can make a real difference if you can hold it long enough.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 07:24:29 AM

People do still blow up gens, but it's usually only as a last resort. Payouts for genny-up captures are generally more lucrative.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 07:52:38 AM

I did have fun. Cal was helpful.  But I not sure that last night was normal.  On Tuesday, we were over run.  Last night, we were over running.  Our teams were capturing bases faster than we could run to them.  It's like the NC and TR all logged off or were off fighting each other.  Of course its more fun to be the zerger rather than zergie. The trick to this would be find ways to have fun even our team is being over run.

Also when a tank on my team runs me over and game gives me grief points, that's not cool at all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 10:45:46 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 08:01:18 AM

Also when a tank on my team runs me over and game gives me grief points, not cool at all.

See how you feel after driving a tank (or any vehicle) for while :) Encourages the infantry not to stand in the way of the tanks. Plus it mitigates a potential griefing tactic, infantry blocking the way of vehicles. If it's any comfort, the driver gets grief from hitting you too.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 08:38:29 AM

The best is being a stealther and being shot by your own side.

I'd love to see friendly fire statistics.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 08:42:15 AM

As a sniper, I light up the occasional cloaker just to keep them on their toes.  evil

Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 10:07:08 AM

Last night was fun.

The thing about PS is one night you can get overrun constantly and the very next night your side will have the upper hand. The trick for me has always been to adjust my playstyle based on the lay of the land.

If my side is overmatched I tend to do more sniping or use the lightning tank with a repair spec. If we're competitive then I use more close in stuff.

For me, PS is the only mmog where whether I get 50 kills or 2 kills I almost always have a good time.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 03:40:06 PM

One of my most memorable MMO experiences was a night where I was a member of one of the three squads that got surrounded holding a tower. TR to the North, VS to the south. us in the middle. Both empires gunning for us and each other, each taking turns trying to take the tower (sometimes at the same time) a few of us would take turns running out and trying to play the attacking forces against each other. We held that tower for four hours before the TR finally gave up because an aggressive NC push onto one of their other continents pulled them away. The squads that held that tower then spread out with the pressure off from the North and took the rest of the continent.

Of course, 24 hours later, it was all purple, but hey, that was a great time.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 06:13:12 PM

Nice playing with you guys, I got disconnected again, looks like PS does not like alt-tab.

See you tomorow ...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: First night and moving forward.  
Jump to: