Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: Bat Country : Planetside advice thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bat Country : Planetside advice thread  (Read 109284 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: February 14, 2007, 11:18:22 AM

I love the liberator. Nothing like bombing the vehicle terminal and getting 4 kills.

Also - is anyone subscribed that wants CR?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #106 on: February 14, 2007, 11:23:38 AM

I hate you fuckers that do that. So I have the audio implant cranked. Hear you move and plant the boomer, get out of dodge, kick in the darklight and light you up. I killed about a dozen cloakers like that the other night.
There was another guy who rolled up on a tower I was CEing, all Clint Eastwood on his ATV. While he kept busy with my CE, I crept out and hacked his ATV, then ran into him with it, planted a boomer while he was confused, and blew him to bits.

What are the CR benefits, Furious? I've got a sliver into CR0 ;)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #107 on: February 14, 2007, 11:26:46 AM

What are the CR benefits

Two words. Orbital. Strike.

Nothing racks up kills like a well-placed, "smite the fuckers down" blast from god.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: February 14, 2007, 11:28:15 AM

Can't you still draw on the map and scan for badguys?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #109 on: February 14, 2007, 11:33:14 AM

At the lower CRs, yeah.

CR1: Set waypoints, draw on the map

CR2: Scan for friendlies, use of command chat.

CR3: Scan for enemies

CR4: Small OS. The ability to spam planetwide broadcasts to rally troops on whatever godforsaken piece of land you happen to be fighting on.

CR5: Large OS. Global command chat, The ability to spam all the planets and a lobotomy to the point where most tactical thinking seems to dissapear. (At least for NC CR5s)

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #110 on: February 14, 2007, 11:37:00 AM

I like it better than the lasher, since indoors I'll use the sweeper shotgun anyway.

I just wanted to comment on one thing here:

Know thine enemy, and know thy self.

While the sweeper has it's uses (it is a nice close contact weapon for those that have really good knowledge of the weapon), at the  best you'll be going against another sweeper (it's common pool, meaning all have), and at the worst you're going against a jackhanner or mini-chain gun...both of which dominate the sweeper in all but surprise flank attacks.

If you're playing the Vanu, I highly suggest you adapt your tactics to use our strengths, which are spam weapons with a medium to long (indoor) range. At medium range you will dominate, at short range you will get owned while playing Vanua, statistically.

Or, in the immortal words of Connery: "Just like a vanu to bring a sweeper to a Heavy Infantry fight".

Rumors of War
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: February 14, 2007, 12:17:19 PM

Whoever mentioned setting up a bomber group, I'm interested. It would be A LOT of fun to find a TS/NC fight and hit that....

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #112 on: February 14, 2007, 01:00:12 PM

Or, in the immortal words of Connery: "Just like a vanu to bring a sweeper to a Heavy Infantry fight".
I suppose I should rephrase that -- I don't think it's worth, nor could I afford the 4 extra cert points just for the lasher. Since I get dominated indoors anyway, since the jackhammer or mini-chain gun beat the lasher (in a 1v1 or 2v2 context in a 'turn the corner and oh-shit!' way), the best I can do is abuse 3rd person: pop out and try and drop them fast. That, or boomers. The sweeper is "Good enough", especially since in heavy indoor fights I generally prefer the decimator, especially in a defend-the-room situation. I have the sweeper out when I'm moving around corridors. It doesn't seem like a lot of people wield AV indoors, so I try and fill that role.

For outdoors, lasher is simply too short a range to be useful for me with my style of play. Again, 4 pts would be wasted. It's not a 'sweeper is better' it's a 'is the lasher 4 spec points better'. For me, I think the answer is pretty emphatically no. When I get a few more levels and have some pts to spare, I may revisit it.

Bomber groups are fun, we tend to do *something* when there is more than 4 or 5 of us on at any given time.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:12:07 PM by bhodi »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #113 on: February 14, 2007, 01:09:19 PM

The only thing I hate more than a volume of space filled with TR MCG rounds is lasher spam.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #114 on: February 14, 2007, 01:18:11 PM

At the lower CRs, yeah.

CR1: Set waypoints, draw on the map

CR2: Scan for friendlies, draw on the map, use of command chat.

CR3: Scan for enemies

CR4: Small OS. The ability to spam planetwide broadcasts to rally troops on whatever godforsaken piece of land you happen to be fighting on.

CR5: Large OS. Global command chat, The ability to spam all the planets and a lobotomy to the point where most tactical thinking seems to dissapear. (At least for NC CR5s)

Fixed CR1.

I have never played WoW.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: February 14, 2007, 01:38:49 PM

Can random noobs not draw on the map anymore?

I'm sure I could draw on the map when I played PS?

Maybe I'm thinking of GW.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #116 on: February 14, 2007, 01:42:47 PM

I walked in to a command room in the caverns that had four TR infantry in it.  For some reason, I was completely on the ball and opened fire right on target.  All of them were in lasher radius. In the split second it took them to turn to kill me, I did enough damage to kill 2 of them between all 4.  But I died getting no kills/BEP and they do.  If I had a chaingun, I'd have gotten a kill before I died.  For me I am putting Lasher away unless I have other people with Lashers to assist.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 03:00:41 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: February 14, 2007, 02:53:10 PM

Thumper! Seriously the thumper is the funnest weapon ever. You don't even have to be THAT accurate. Just don't fire into large groups of your own side.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #118 on: February 14, 2007, 04:05:46 PM

Thumper for around-the-corner or down-the-stairs plasma grenades are the most annoying thing ever.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #119 on: February 14, 2007, 04:37:50 PM

Second most. First being a spawn room full of Vanu with lasher certs.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #120 on: February 14, 2007, 07:31:11 PM

Watch that video that Slayerik referred us to earlier in the thread. PHEAR the Lasher spam. It's ungodly.

Unfortunately, the MCG and Jackhammer still own the living fuck out of us in small, close-quarters combat. Anyway, on to more important matters.

Currently, my main is Strazos, BR9. His main cert is 6 points into Uni-MAX, which I love. I can pull anti-infantry for base/tower assaults, or AA for when they're trying to rape us with air power. I think I am getting pretty good with scaring off casual pilots, especially newb reaver pilots trying to farm kills. I mean, FFS don't fly straight at me. I can pull the AV MAX when needed, but I believe I am least effective with this MAX; the AV blobs don't do a monstrous amount of damage to armor (though pretty good vs enemy MAXs), and they're a bit on the slow side. They're not terribly accurate either. I also have Air Support, coupled with Engineering. I mainly use this for the Liberator. I love me some Liberator bombing runs. My goal is to eventually be able to fly a Vulture, but that's going to take awhile. I also just got Armored Assault 1. I will eventually get AA2 in order to drive a Magrider. I saw a small squad of these in action yesterday, and was later able to hop into the gunner seat of one (courtesy of Vinn). I found them to be very useful, versatile, and a lot of fun. The Lightning is Ok I guess, but the armor is paper-thin.

I will probably make an alt who is going to be a sniper/stealther/support toon. But, just like every other MMO I have ever been in (save CoX), I am loathe to play alts when I could be progressing even further on my main.

As an aside, I'm still sorry that I popped Lantyssa in the head with my AA MAX. I was aiming for the enemy pilot, I swear, and didn't even see you that close to me until I smacked you in the head with a shot (I did a lot more damage than I would have thought a single shot would do to infantry).  Heart

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: February 14, 2007, 11:36:11 PM

Do not discount the Pulsar.  In my opinion it's the best medium assault weapon with good damage, good range, good accuracy, great clip capacity, and the ability to turn into an anti-MAX weapon with a right-click.  [PROTIP: Don't stand in front of the MAX you're shooting.]  Its only downside is the fact that firing it pinpoints your position.  A steady hand and a Pulsar will never let you down.  There are plenty of better weapons in certain situations, but in my experience carrying a specialized weapon is an invitation to find yourself in a situation where it's useless, like a Jackhammer in an outdoor fight.  Keep a Pulsar on your back and you can always be confident that you'll be prepared for killing infantry.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #122 on: February 15, 2007, 12:41:26 AM

In the stupidly close tower fights, I'm vaguely happy with the shotgun.  Seems to be more successful vs the chaingun circle-strafers than any other weapons I can use.  That and the Thumper at least let me dish out a little damage before I collapse in the bullet storm.  Of course, if I actually make it to the door, then I may as well just go back downstairs and change weapons, because I'm not doing much out there.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Strazos

Reply #123 on: February 15, 2007, 12:57:56 AM

Which do you people hate more: MCG or Jackhammer? Phoenix camara missiles, or the lock-on TR version?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 15, 2007, 03:29:26 AM

Which do you people hate more: MCG or Jackhammer? Phoenix camara missiles, or the lock-on TR version?

MCG and JH never bothered me, because they were inside weapons, my contribution to 'inside' was usually limited to providing radar, or going and getting the ANT or Galaxy we'd be needing shortly.

Lock-on TR missles were always more irritating than camera missles.

If you see camera missles, you know there is an operator somewhere nearby who isn't looking out for the Mosquito that is about to kill him.

tbh, it always seemed the decimator was the rocket launcher giving the most joy.

In outdoor infantry fights the Suppressor was the surpise package, fantastic CoF and range, and people always seemed to get so annoyed when they got tagged by a mere suppressor.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: February 15, 2007, 07:49:42 AM

I've always loathed the jackhammer.

I had a guy assaulting a tower I was CEing last week, using camera-guided missiles to take out my CE stuff. I kept creeping out and boomerizing him, because they pinpointed his location.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #126 on: February 15, 2007, 07:51:43 AM

You will learn to phear me and my phoenix skills. I spent the better part of a month learning how to whip those bitches around multiple corners. If I'm in a tower and you're assaulting it, (Especially in a MAX) that's your ass.  :-D

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #127 on: February 15, 2007, 08:24:45 AM

MCG is #1 for me, because if you are within 20 feet of the guy, it's an auto-win for him. MCG is the chaingun right? That thing.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #128 on: February 15, 2007, 10:14:04 AM

Thumper! Seriously the thumper is the funnest weapon ever. You don't even have to be THAT accurate. Just don't fire into large groups of your own side.

Thumper works if you are part of the zerg, but makes for an easy kill if you are alone. Come up on a guy with a thumper, switch to a pistol and win!

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: February 15, 2007, 11:43:25 AM

It's got a relatively slow RoF and it's not real damaging, 'tis true.  cry
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: February 15, 2007, 02:48:25 PM

As an aside, I'm still sorry that I popped Lantyssa in the head with my AA MAX. I was aiming for the enemy pilot, I swear, and didn't even see you that close to me until I smacked you in the head with a shot (I did a lot more damage than I would have thought a single shot would do to infantry).  Heart
I was laughing at it.  I was running across the bridge, thinking it's finally safe to cross, when *wham*.  I had no clue where it came from, and when I figured it out, it turns out to be one of us.

I dropped Advanced Hacker for Advanced Engineering.  I'll pick it up again with my next cert point, but it is far less useful in the short-term.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Strazos

Reply #131 on: February 15, 2007, 03:20:59 PM

The funny part is that we were right next to each other.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: Bat Country : Planetside advice thread  
Jump to: